HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Affordable housing project advancing in Northeast Portland

A proposal to construct a new five-story apartment building in the Albina Community Plan District in Portland is moving through the city’s design review process. The Design Commission provided the project team with design advice on Thursday.

The building would hold 17,984 square feet. There would be 32 studio apartments – 340 square feet each – and ground-floor retail space. All units would be affordable for people earning up to 60 percent of the area median income.

The 4,500-square-foot site is at 3606 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Vehicle parking would not be provided, but long-term bicycle parking would be in the covered rear courtyard.

Guna Collaborative designed the project for owner Ent Ventures IX LLC.

“We see this project as part of a prototype,” Guna Collaborative principal John Holmes said.
...continues at the DJC.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 1:46 PM

I have to admit being befuddled by the ruckus around Portland's bike parking regulations. Is it really necessary to even have covered bike parking in the back of the building? Presumably a 6-story building has an elevator; can people not just take their bikes into and out of their apartments as needed? Not ultimately convenient, sure, but you can so easily store a bike in most apartments that rolling the extra expense of having dedicated bike parking spaces into construction/rent costs seems silly.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I have to admit being befuddled by the ruckus around Portland's bike parking regulations. Is it really necessary to even have covered bike parking in the back of the building? Presumably a 6-story building has an elevator; can people not just take their bikes into and out of their apartments as needed? Not ultimately convenient, sure, but you can so easily store a bike in most apartments that rolling the extra expense of having dedicated bike parking spaces into construction/rent costs seems silly.
NIMBYS gonna NIMBY.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree that the bike parking regulations go too far, but friction is important. Having to haul your bike into an elevator and store it in your 300sf apartment is a significant disincentive.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 6:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
I tend to agree that the bike parking regulations go too far, but friction is important. Having to haul your bike into an elevator and store it in your 300sf apartment is a significant disincentive.
Plus it seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal to take a first floor space in a building that would most likely be wasted space anyways and turning it into a bike storage. That basically creates an easy amenity for a building owner to offer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 12:49 PM

Agreed, overall. Was kind of annoyed to see this poo-pooed as a developer giveaway on BikePortland--though I tend to agree; it didn't seem like that onerous a requirement--and then when someone chimed in that the permitting process was a mess, people were all "but we have to have Standards !1!!1"

Like...yes, but not having to approach 4 different people in 3 different agencies all adjudicating the same standards seems like a reasonable improvement to suggest. I realize that BP may not be the place for level-headed takes on cycling-related issues, but some prudence about what does and doesn't make a difference to these things is important from everyone.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed, overall. Was kind of annoyed to see this poo-pooed as a developer giveaway on BikePortland--though I tend to agree; it didn't seem like that onerous a requirement--and then when someone chimed in that the permitting process was a mess, people were all "but we have to have Standards !1!!1"

Like...yes, but not having to approach 4 different people in 3 different agencies all adjudicating the same standards seems like a reasonable improvement to suggest. I realize that BP may not be the place for level-headed takes on cycling-related issues, but some prudence about what does and doesn't make a difference to these things is important from everyone.
And everyone has their opinion one what should be required, hence the NIMBY part. I bike all the time, but man, biking in the rain sucks, big time. And it rains heavy now way more often than it used to, making that even worse. To expect people here will just bike everywhere year round because we have bike lanes and parking in the buildings is beyond laughable outside the most ardent bikers.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
And everyone has their opinion one what should be required, hence the NIMBY part. I bike all the time, but man, biking in the rain sucks, big time. And it rains heavy now way more often than it used to, making that even worse. To expect people here will just bike everywhere year round because we have bike lanes and parking in the buildings is beyond laughable outside the most ardent bikers.
Tell that to people in places like Montreal, never even mind most of Scandinavia. I can't deny we're at sunk-cost levels of car dependency, but it can't go on forever.

And NIMBYism doesn't inherently have anything to do with transit; lots of NYC's NIMBY commuter-rail suburbs are car-dependent places, but e.g., there are far fewer surface parking lots in Manhattan than Center City--definitely proportionately, and maybe even absolutely, I dunno. Driving a car throughout Metro Portland is just too easy.

I don't think developers having or not having to include bike parking is much of a factor in that problem.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Tell that to people in places like Montreal, never even mind most of Scandinavia. I can't deny we're at sunk-cost levels of car dependency, but it can't go on forever.

And NIMBYism doesn't inherently have anything to do with transit; lots of NYC's NIMBY commuter-rail suburbs are car-dependent places, but e.g., there are far fewer surface parking lots in Manhattan than Center City--definitely proportionately, and maybe even absolutely, I dunno. Driving a car throughout Metro Portland is just too easy.

I don't think developers having or not having to include bike parking is much of a factor in that problem.
If it's not much of a problem then smart developers will install them because it sells their buildings better, and the cost is low.

I just meant NIMBY as everyone has a cause, and these have added up to increasing the cost of building housing. I don't know the specifics of what costs what, other than the total cost is too high partially because of the combined requirements forced on developers. Is it bike parking, car parking, design aesthetic, water runoff, tree requirements, etc? I don't know. But surely they add up.

I never considered Montreal being a city that most people travel by bike in the winter. Surely downtown is dense and walkable and an amazing city, but as percentage of it's nearly 2M residents?

Plus these cities grew up as function of their time, not due to excellent public planning. I'm a bit skeptical of trying to mimic these old cities through costly coercion of planning theory du jour, rather that the natural state of the time; outside some guidance through zoning etc to ensure you don't become Houston.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 6:01 AM

The Rite Aid at 42nd and Sandy is closing. That old building would seem to be a prime redevelopment opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:27 PM

Dairy Apartments at 801 NE 21st Ave. Will be 7 stories and 271 Units.

2510 NE Sandy. The developer calls this the "Atomic Orchard Experiment." It has a unique financing model to allow 18 of the 49 units to be deeply affordable. This is across the street from the Pop Blocks. A lot happening in this area.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2024, 4:00 PM

What is the status of this development on NE Sandy (2500 block)? Seems work has either stalled or is moving incredibly slowly. Doesn't look much work has been done in months. Per Portlandmaps shows a series of expired and new permit application over last 6 months.

http://guerrilladev.co/atomic-orchard-experiment

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:14 PM

[$] https://www.oregonlive.com/living/20...t-alberta.html

Quote:
What will be inside the new hotel and spa going up in NE Alberta?
Updated: Jan. 19, 2024, 11:20 a.m.|Published: Jan. 19, 2024, 11:05 a.m.

Renderings of the underground pools at CASCADA in Northeast Portland.LEVER Architecture

By Lizzy Acker | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Maybe you’ve seen the billboard – a woman floats in water under the word “CASCADA.” Then, in bold letters: “Portland’s first underground hot springs.”

But what is “CASCADA”?

One answer: It’s a large building going up on Northeast Alberta Street, taking up most of the block between 11th and 12th avenues.

Another answer: “A sanctuary where wellness and sustainability meet,” according to materials provided by SolTerra, the real estate development company behind CASCADA.

SolTerra is probably best known for The SolTerra Building, the Southeast Division Street building that is home to, among other things, Palomar, The Oregonian/OregonLive’s 2018 bar of the year. The building stands out, mainly because one side is covered in a massive mural of a woman whose hair is made out of living plants.

CASCADA is a new project from SolTerra and LEVER Architecture, the firm behind the Adidas headquarters expansion, the Oregon Conservation Center expansion and many other projects in Portland and across the country.

It is billed as a hotel and spa, with a major focus on the spa.

The “health and wellness center” will be three levels and 35,000 square feet, featuring fitness rooms, a hot yoga studio, a solarium with a pool and “a subterranean cenote” with hot and cold pools, as well as saunas, steam rooms and more.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:57 PM

The idea of springs is very very tempting right now

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 10:07 PM

Right?!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland