HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

As someone who lives near St. Elmo (fun fact, I attended St. Elmo Elementary) I'm excited about the potential of the St. Elmo District in the coming years.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
As someone who lives near St. Elmo (fun fact, I attended St. Elmo Elementary) I'm excited about the potential of the St. Elmo District in the coming years.
One of my sons has lived a few blocks south of St. Elmo Elementary for 17 years. His neighborhood is gentrifying pretty quickly with a number of teardowns/rebuilds. He may hold out a few more years until the taxes force him to move.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:59 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
One of my sons has lived a few blocks south of St. Elmo Elementary for 17 years. His neighborhood is gentrifying pretty quickly with a number of teardowns/rebuilds. He may hold out a few more years until the taxes force him to move.
Yea it's crazy how fast the area is transforming. We have a row of new builds litterally feet away from our north fence and more condo houses under construction on my block. I don't care much for the way it's occurring honestly and is affecting us long time residents.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 3:03 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
"wow surprised tesla picked this spot"

"its way better than the domain which is inconvenient bc i live in south austin"

"actually the domain is pretty smack dab middle of the metro"

"so what?"

lmao...this forum sometimes....
Actually we are close to everything that's important in Austin. Minutes from DT, from the airport, Zilker, SoCo, East Austin, Barton Creek trail, hike and bike trail. For those of us that live in the radius of South Austin Medical Center, we are right in the middle of it all.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 3:06 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Yeah, 3.5 miles to downtown from St Elmo versus 9-10 miles from the Domain to downtown.

And to add to my previous post, what does it matter if the center of population is skewed to the north? What does that mean? Basically besides the Domain and the new Soccer stadium, your closer to suburban wasteland than to the cultural heart of Austin.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jan 16, 2021 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

And to add to my previous post, what does it matter if the center of population is skewed to the north? What does that mean? Basically besides the Domain and the new Soccer stadium, your closer to suburban wasteland than to the cultural heart of Austin.
Exactly. Lonewolf lives in Cedar Park I guess? Congrats...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 4:44 PM

If not for the clogged highways, a lot of this conversation would be moot points. Its not that far to travel from the Domain to south of downtown. Its the traffic and time that makes it inconvenient. A trip for me to go from Round Rock to downtown is now a 1/2 day trip. I can get to the Domain in ten minutes taking Toll 45 to Mopac. Not being able to go to downtown as often as I would like has its benefits though. For one, it becomes a destination, meaning its a treat I have to plan for, and two, the changes that you southerners see daily and it tiny increments, I see as big, in between visits. Most certainly more dramatic. If I lived in the south, I would be doing the opposite. Living in RR, I am 8 minutes from the Dell Diamond, Kalahari Resort with their 6 restaurants, about 20 minutes from the Cedar Park Center, 10 minutes from the Domain and MLS Stadium, 15 minutes to Georgetown and inner Space Caverns, 15 minutes to the RR outlets. 5 minutes from Typhoon TX and the huge Stone Hill shopping center, and 3 minutes from Living Spaces and a Costco. Maybe not as impressive of a convenient itinerary as you all have down south, but still not too shabby.

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 16, 2021 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:57 AM

SpaceX bought two oil rigs to convert into offshore launch pads for Starship

Quote:
Darrell Etherington
@etherington / 11:49 am PST • January 19, 2021

SpaceX’s next spacecraft is in development in Texas, and CEO Elon Musk previously revealed that the company was planning to build floating spaceports for Starship operations, after a job ad was posted looking for someone to oversee their development. Now, SpaceX has purchased two oil rigs to convert for this purpose, as first reported by spaceflight.com’s Michael Baylor, and confirmed by CNBC.

The rigs have been named Deimos and Phoibos by SpaceX, which are the names of the two moons of Mars (and the names of the gods of both dread and fear in Greek mythology before that). The rigs were originally designed for offshore deepwater drilling, up to a maximum depth of 8,500 feet. They’re currently located in Brownsville, a port city on the Gulf of Mexico near SpaceX’s Starship development site in Brownsville, Texas.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...-starship/amp/

Not about Tesla, but I should say Elon Musk is doing some big things in Texas.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:03 AM

Another not about Tesla post, but it is about Elon. There is a rumor floating about that he bought the Pease Mansion in West Austin.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Another not about Tesla post, but it is about Elon. There is a rumor floating about that he bought the Pease Mansion in West Austin.
TravisCAD and Travis County Clerk sites don't show any recent activity for the property. Last change of ownership seems to be 2014 (Traviscad), but they are horrible about updating records their site.

I saw a sort of celebrity gossip post on instagram that said he bought 3901 Waters Edge (https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/390.../home/31246926). This sold in 2018 and is held in a trust, so no obvious owner name. TCCsearch does show it was purchased with a 9 million mortgage from Bank of America. Even at his wealth, there can be reasons to do a mortgage, but I just imagine him paying cash. The instagram post may have just been something fabricated from one of the most interesting recent property sales.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:42 PM

I find it hard to believe Elon, who recently forsaked and sold of all of his properties, would purchase a pre-civil war mansion. Doesn't seem like his or Grime's taste or style.

Waters Edge seems more likely.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
I find it hard to believe Elon, who recently forsaked and sold of all of his properties, would purchase a pre-civil war mansion. Doesn't seem like his or Grime's taste or style.

I would find it hard to imagine him purchasing this specific property being that it is the most visible property on the Colorado from Mount Bonnell. Who knows though

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:50 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:

Its his fathers style for sure.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:12 PM

Just a Vanderbeek shy of the whole Justice League:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:19 PM

Jeez, what a crew haha.

In other news, sounds like Musk is starting a $100m competition for carbon capture and storage technology, which is honestly amazing. If we can crack that, economically, it'll be huge. Hoping that the competition might bring that sort of innovation activity (and associated renewable/bioenergy) to Austin. Certainly no better place to try and capture some carbon than Texas where we sure do make a lot of it.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...177034242?s=20

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Just a Vanderbeek shy of the whole Justice League:

Those folks were all at Stubb's for one of a series of shows Chapelle is taping. None of them have masks and Chapelle just cancelled because he has Covid.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:11 PM

Job postings indicate that Tesla plans to add Semi production to its Nevada site.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/tesl...in-nevada.html

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:17 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Those folks were all at Stubb's for one of a series of shows Chapelle is taping. None of them have masks and Chapelle just cancelled because he has Covid.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s
Grimes publicly stated she had covid last week on social media and then went to this show without a mask.

Like, I'm a mask up and stay home unless necessary and maybe eat outside occasionally if its not packed and has good airflow guy.

But no one should be a "well, I have Rona, lets go to a bar and hang out with my boyfriends substantially older friends who smoke like chimneys" person

Hopefully everyone is fine.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:09 AM

Huh. Kinda interesting.

Tesla partners with Samsung on new 5nm chip for full self-driving, report says

https://electrek.co/2021/01/25/tesla...riving-report/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:49 PM
Voice of the Modern World

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin