HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
The major bussiness line of RIM, (blackberry professional device+subscription) for entreprises will see a major slowdown if not a decline over the upcoming months.
Its biggest sector, the services, saw a major drop in the US in the last few days. Why do you think people have been selling off RIM in the past 2 days??
That's because people are assumed to be risk averse (sensitive to risk), and will quickly revise their subjective state probabilities about the firm's future performance (given they see a lack of future product innovation and that the blackberries are beginning to enter their maturity position on the product lifecycle diagram).

Clearly some investors are irrational, buying/selling haphazardly, which is why the market price is not a good determinant of RIM's value. My advise as a CGA, hang in there and ride the random curve of fluctuating stock prices until the market corrects itself (especially after the sub-prime rate debacle becomes history).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
Back from the dead

^So, uh, what does that say in English ?

Lol...I'm just kidding with you. I understood it for the most part (some industry jargon in there I didn't catch) but yowsers...that's pretty much a textbook example of why people think some folks in the financial industry speak another language. You must feel like I do when I talk computers to the tech-illiterate.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:14 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
That's misleading if not inaccurate information.... "Since the Nasdaq's six-year peak last October, Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research) has shed 29 percent, Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O: Quote, Profile, Research) is down 23 percent and Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) (RIM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) has lost 32.5 percent. IPod-maker Apple Inc (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) shares have slid 36 percent."
So when did RIM start selling books and advertising??

Let's get back to smart phones ...

Quote:
RIM has not done badly relative to the tech pack listed above... and over the last 10 months... RIM stock rocketed relative to Apple and Nokia over that time.
And since the start of December, RIM has fallen faster (30%) than both Nokia and Samsung (15%), albeit only slightly more than Apple (28%).

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=0...=on&z=m&q=l&c=
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3...=&a=&c=&s=rimm
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3...=&a=&c=&s=aapl
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=3...p=&a=&c=&s=nok

Of course over the past 12 months RIM will have grown faster than the others since it is a GROWTH stock. Remember it is still a small player compared to the other smart phone companies - hell Samsung had over 10 Billion in profit alone last year. RIM will always be more volatile compared to its competitors - at least until it is bought out.

Anyway, get back to your boosterism. Personally I don't mind it since I am long on RIM and have been for quite some time. When the buyout offer comes I will be first in line to sell my shares!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:16 PM
Beer me Captain

And speaking of boosterism, those RIM fans better get at it!!

The most horrible thing has happened, RIM's market cap has fallen below that of Encana - a lowly energy company. Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

We are no longer a RIM nation!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:42 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

The most horrible thing has happened, RIM's market cap has fallen below that of Encana - a lowly energy company. Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:39 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:

And since the start of December, RIM has fallen faster (30%) than both Nokia and Samsung (15%), albeit only slightly more than Apple (28%).
Of course RIM's stock price is more volatile than Nokia and Samsung... both are more diverse and far larger than RIM. However, regarding Apple, you are flat wrong... Apple has dropped more than RIMM since the start of December.... and that's in spite of your attempt at statistical cherry picking.

Quote:
Anyway, get back to your boosterism. Personally I don't mind it since I am long on RIM and have been for quite some time. When the buyout offer comes I will be first in line to sell my shares!
I'm just stating some facts about RIM, whereas you have deliberately presented misleading and inaccurate comments.... clearly, you have an axe to grind here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I see that you are monitoring this thread at least every 20 minutes for any news on RIM. You are a real devotee!

They should let you in free to any RIM sponsored concerts or company parties. You may want to write them and ask if you can.
No thanks, I don't do Rimjobs.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:52 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:

Yeah, but RIM went up 1.01% today and Encana only went up .95%.... you and graupner should be impressed with RIM and concerned about Encana...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:55 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
By your avatar some may have thought that you might... BTW, is that you during the filming of "Deliverance"?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:38 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Right now, I am not involved at all with Encana . It is hard to predict how the energy sector will react in the upcoming months.
Will the slowdown/recession reduce demand for oil? Will demand remain strong from emerging markets? will the stock price stagnate?
I believe the 3rd option is the most probable and therefor, it is better to simply hold it if you are long on encana, or wait a few months and see how energy reacts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:37 AM
lets race

Ive been long on oil and gas for quite a few years now. Suncor and Encana will be superstars by 2020.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:59 PM

anyone have Q-4 office vacancy rates.

There was interesting trend occurring in Toronto and Vancouver as they were really getting full.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:03 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
Right now, I am not involved at all with Encana . It is hard to predict how the energy sector will react in the upcoming months.
Will the slowdown/recession reduce demand for oil? Will demand remain strong from emerging markets? will the stock price stagnate?
I believe the 3rd option is the most probable and therefor, it is better to simply hold it if you are long on encana, or wait a few months and see how energy reacts.
It certainly would be a challenge to justify going long on O&G stocks right now, but certainly a good time to hold. BTW, I'm sure you are aware, but Encana is really a gas play, very little revenue is oil related. Nonetheless, your assessment stands ... except Ontario is now looking to replacing its coal fired electricity plants with gas which would drive the price up ... and with both the Dem and Rep front runners focusing on a departure from Iraq, oil supplies may be deemed more unstable and result in more price increases.

Basically, it is a crap shot in the short term.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
By your avatar some may have thought that you might... BTW, is that you during the filming of "Deliverance"?
No, actually, it is a photo of some local from Waterloo.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:14 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Of course RIM's stock price is more volatile than Nokia and Samsung... both are more diverse and far larger than RIM.
But they are direct competitors in the smart phone space. Why is it then that you never include them in your comparisons yet always reference Google and Amazon?? Talk about cherry picking.

Quote:
However, regarding Apple, you are flat wrong... Apple has dropped more than RIMM since the start of December.... and that's in spite of your attempt at statistical cherry picking.
Well I did provide links. Perhaps you were too distracted to see.

Funny thing though, earlier on you mention a 10 month gain for Rim. What is the significance of 10?? I know Waterloo is math oriented, do the people there measure the year in digital months?? [sarcasm]It certainly couldn't be an example of you doing some statistical cherry picking, could it? [/sarcasm]

Quote:
I'm just stating some facts about RIM, whereas you have deliberately presented misleading and inaccurate comments.... clearly, you have an axe to grind here.
Ah you caught me out. As part of my deliberate actions to discredit RIM, I hacked into the Yahoo Financial website and changed the numbers.

And as for grinding my axe, yup I'm guilty of that too. It is clearly obvious to all those reading this thread that I continually post negative things about RIM. Like every time it's share price drops 0.1% I'm the first person to post it (often times using bolding and bright colours!) and anytime there is an article about one of RIM's founders having a hang nail or bad breath, BANG, I'm posting it.

Anyway, RIM is a great company that I have been long on for many years. I like what it is doing and the fact that it will likely add more to my portfolio. I even like K-W and have many fond memories from there.

And as for responding to your posts, I've already spent WAY TOO much time dealing with you mister thin skin. Ciao.

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Never say never.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:49 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

Anyone has stats regarding Encana's gas reserves? How many years of estimated production do they hold?
Do they own drilling rights on 'fresh' gas fields?

I read recently that Alberta's gas ressources had topped out/ was declining. Is it really that good of an investment???

Oil sands are a very good long term investment IMO!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:54 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
anytime there is an article about one of RIM's founders having a hang nail or bad breath, BANG, I'm posting it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:00 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
anyone have Q-4 office vacancy rates.

There was interesting trend occurring in Toronto and Vancouver as they were really getting full.
Maybe this will be the green light for Brookfield to start solicting for Bay Adelaide 2.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 6:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
But they are direct competitors in the smart phone space. Why is it then that you never include them in your comparisons yet always reference Google and Amazon?? Talk about cherry picking.

Well I did provide links. Perhaps you were too distracted to see.

Funny thing though, earlier on you mention a 10 month gain for Rim. What is the significance of 10?? I know Waterloo is math oriented, do the people there measure the year in digital months?? [sarcasm]It certainly couldn't be an example of you doing some statistical cherry picking, could it? [/sarcasm]

Ah you caught me out. As part of my deliberate actions to discredit RIM, I hacked into the Yahoo Financial website and changed the numbers.

And as for grinding my axe, yup I'm guilty of that too. It is clearly obvious to all those reading this thread that I continually post negative things about RIM. Like every time it's share price drops 0.1% I'm the first person to post it (often times using bolding and bright colours!) and anytime there is an article about one of RIM's founders having a hang nail or bad breath, BANG, I'm posting it.

Anyway, RIM is a great company that I have been long on for many years. I like what it is doing and the fact that it will likely add more to my portfolio. I even like K-W and have many fond memories from there.

And as for responding to your posts, I've already spent WAY TOO much time dealing with you mister thin skin. Ciao.

Gold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada