HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Yes, a sparkling new McDonald's®, believe it or not.

It's on a portion of a much larger property at 2815 Grays Ferry Ave (not the non-existant 2901 as McD's seems to think). Here's the zoning permit with plans: http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...020-001669.pdf

…and the associated construction permit, which passed its initial site inspection yesterday: https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=381695700

Total construction cost is given as $1,065,000.00.
That's disappointing given that Pennovation is building out at this moment. Hopefully that shopping plaza can be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:34 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
It looks like the floodplain is below the first residential flow, no?
I mean it still sucks if you're penned into your apartment but at the very least your feet aren't wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There's an apartment building next door. The way they're building these is the first floor is just a small entrance to the building and parking. Floors 2 and up is where the actual building starts. During Hurricane Ida, the apartment building next door didn't flood, just all the cars parked in the lot.

If you're going to live here, you just need flood insurance for your car (which most car insurances cover without the need of additional coverage).
I have lived in a flood prone area and it's an awful experience and I would never do it again; the logistics alone when an event hits can drive you mad. And I got to see the aftermath last year, including this island, and it wasn't pretty (here's some pics I was able to locate that others took):

https://twitter.com/SnowtoriousCSL/s...09919630389249

You also need to build in the variable that storms will just continue to get worse so two floors up may have worked before but over time it will not.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There's an apartment building next door. The way they're building these is the first floor is just a small entrance to the building and parking. Floors 2 and up is where the actual building starts. During Hurricane Ida, the apartment building next door didn't flood, just all the cars parked in the lot.

If you're going to live here, you just need flood insurance for your car (which most car insurances cover without the need of additional coverage).
None of the cars that flooded were from that apartment building (The Isle). The building evacuated before the storm and towed any cars that weren't moved. The only cars that flooded were parked in the parkway lot further down the island or from the buildings north of Green Lane.

Something to keep in mind as well is that the pedestrian bridge at the isle is roughly the same elevation as the first floor of living space and is at a higher elevation than the first floor of all of the shops along main street in Manayunk. So if you're against this being built then you should probably also be for abandoning most of main street

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
Something to keep in mind as well is that the pedestrian bridge at the isle is roughly the same elevation as the first floor of living space and is at a higher elevation than the first floor of all of the shops along main street in Manayunk. So if you're against this being built then you should probably also be for abandoning most of main street
I'm not opposed to this project, but worth pointing out that this building does not propose a bridge like the Isle's. If you get stuck in the building during a storm here and the parking level is flooded... you're stuck until the water recedes. Most of the time this probably isn't a problem - you might have to move your car and hunker down for 24 hours once every other year. It is a problem if somehow someone has an emergency or something during that time period. So I'm not sure it makes sense to say "If you're for the Isle then you should be for this" because this building is missing the critical component.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 9:01 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
None of the cars that flooded were from that apartment building (The Isle). The building evacuated before the storm and towed any cars that weren't moved. The only cars that flooded were parked in the parkway lot further down the island or from the buildings north of Green Lane.

Main St. has been around for a long time so you yes, you either have to deal with it or abandon it. But this does not mean that new development needs to be built just because and when it may not make sense to do so; the climate has changed considerably since Main St. came into existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Most of the time this probably isn't a problem - you might have to move your car and hunker down for 24 hours once every other year.
Or it could increase to once per year or a few times per year. It's a big gamble and one I would not take but I am sure others will so...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I'm not opposed to this project, but worth pointing out that this building does not propose a bridge like the Isle's. If you get stuck in the building during a storm here and the parking level is flooded... you're stuck until the water recedes. Most of the time this probably isn't a problem - you might have to move your car and hunker down for 24 hours once every other year. It is a problem if somehow someone has an emergency or something during that time period. So I'm not sure it makes sense to say "If you're for the Isle then you should be for this" because this building is missing the critical component.
Fair. I was assuming the new building would be evacuated ahead of time like the Isle was so that wouldn't be a huge issue, but I also would support zoning/planning changes that would require a means of egress like that under flood conditions. To be honest I was mostly just being facetious and pushing back on the idea that nothing should ever be built near water that pops up every time a building is proposed along the river.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Main St. has been around for a long time so you yes, you either have to deal with it or abandon it. But this does not mean that new development needs to be built just because and when it may not make sense to do so; the climate has changed considerably since Main St. came into existence.
The Isle suffered less damage during the storm in question than the Riverwalk did. I hear you on the impacts of climate change, but building safely in floodplains is completely possible and I don't think we should be outright dismissing development in locations like these because large portions of the city face similar conditions.

Also, Manayunk desperately needs new housing. Its definitely not being built "just because".

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 11:10 PM

Anybody know anything about this? Is the possibility of this being talked about at SEPTA. I was under the impression this was dead?

https://twitter.com/repjaredsolomon/...5yhsSftCuc2ZTA

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
Anybody know anything about this? Is the possibility of this being talked about at SEPTA. I was under the impression this was dead?

https://twitter.com/repjaredsolomon/...5yhsSftCuc2ZTA
SEPTA is concerned that any other New Starts/Tiger project would threaten KOP's viability. So KOP is their main focus right now.

The Roosevelt Boulevard Spur would see an estimated 100k daily riders, whereas KOP will see roughly 9000 after 5 years. They would cost similar amounts of money to construct.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
SEPTA is concerned that any other New Starts/Tiger project would threaten KOP's viability. So KOP is their main focus right now.

The Roosevelt Boulevard Spur would see an estimated 100k daily riders, whereas KOP will see roughly 9000 after 5 years. They would cost similar amounts of money to construct.
Why is this guy having a town hall on the Roosevelt blvd line if it’s not the main focus? Is he trying to drum up support? I guess I’m just confused if SEPTA doesn’t have it in the plans what’s the point?

I do agree this is the project they should be moving forward with yesterday. I get the sense that SEPTA leadership doesn’t seem to care that much. They kinda give off a checked out vibe

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
Why is this guy having a town hall on the Roosevelt blvd line if it’s not the main focus? Is he trying to drum up support? I guess I’m just confused if SEPTA doesn’t have it in the plans what’s the point?

I do agree this is the project they should be moving forward with yesterday. I get the sense that SEPTA leadership doesn’t seem to care that much. They kinda give off a checked out vibe
Yes, he's likely trying to get support for what to anyone else (or any other city) would be a no-brainer.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:57 AM
Show me the blueprints

It ain't normal.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:36 AM

Why do people get so concerned about flooding? I don't mean to come off as heartless but the only parties that should really care are the developer and the tenants. And yet.....flooding hasn't deterred buyers/tenants. I would never live there precisely because of the flood risk. But I'm glad to see continued development here, as long as the banks will finance it and people want to live there and keep Main Street going. But if you're not living there or don't have a financial stake in the project, why would you care about the flooding?

Last edited by McBane; Jul 27, 2022 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:37 AM

545 n broad. tan stone going in on the ground level

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:03 PM

^^^ Wow! This building is going to look like it's always been there once finished.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:10 PM

Have been disappointed with the upper facade, but that stone looks great (at least in this photo).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^^ Wow! This building is going to look like it's always been there once finished.
CANNO is the best firm around. They've yet to design something I don't like.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Why do people get so concerned about flooding? I don't mean to come off as heartless but the only parties that should really care are the developer and the tenants. And yet.....flooding hasn't deterred buyers/tenants. I would never live there precisely because of the flood risk. But I'm glad to see continued development here, as long as the banks will finance it and people want to live there and keep Main Street going. But if you're not living there or don't have a financial stake in the project, why would you care about the flooding?
Beside the risk to human life, there is also a municipal cost to building in flood zones whether via rescue, cleanup or remediation. I am in the camp that this project should not move forward and Venice island should be made into a park with ability to take in water during flooding, thus acting like a barrier to the rest of Manayunk. As a city we are not ready for climate change especially in Manayunk, NoLibs, along the Delaware piers and banks of the Schuylkill.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:00 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Have been disappointed with the upper facade, but that stone looks great (at least in this photo).
the thing for me about this is that the color of the two portions of the building just don't work that great. the picture above gives a golden hue to both due to the lighting, but the cooler. steely tones of the upper facade vs. the very warm tones of the lower facade def stood out when i've been past during different times of day. this building rules and i can't wait for it to finish it but i couldn't help but notice the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:04 PM
Chris

Gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, The change in brick color is a fine compromise, but I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...

Site in question for those unsure, third building from the corner... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i16384!8i8192

10-story condo building proposed amid townhouses on Walnut Street

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220727.html

As residential real estate interest in Center City Philadelphia continues unabated, developers are looking for ways to add density in the midst of streets lined with historic townhouses.

Despite a crown of skyscrapers and a smattering of high-rise apartment buildings, most of Center City’s housing stock is still rowhouses. They may be taller and wider than their counterparts in Kensington or South Philadelphia, but they are consistent with the design/look/architecture in the rest of the city.

Now developers are trying to add density to this historic streetscape, within the confines of narrow rowhouse lots.

“Center City has become very popular, very desirable, and we are getting a lot of people coming in from New York and other places,” said Sergio Coscia, principal with the CosciaMoos architecture firm in Philadelphia. “There’s a market for a product that’s not typically Philadelphia, that’s more sophisticated.”

Coscia’s firm is trying to convince the Philadelphia Historical Commission to allow the construction of his firm’s design for a 10-story, 29-condo building at 2204 Walnut St. The adjacent buildings are slightly less than half the size, although there are other tall multifamily buildings on immediate blocks around the site.
The development, from Cal Leslie’s Flamingo Bay Investments, fits the zoning for the parcel and will not need a variance. But it lies within the Rittenhouse-Fitler Historic District, so plans must be approved by the city’s historical commission.

At a May meeting, the commission approved the demolition of the vacant four-story building on the site but voted against CosciaMoos’ design proposal. Members argued that it was too tall and that the white facade did not fit with the “muted earth tones” that dominate the neighborhood’s historic buildings.
Coscia and his team have since made some tweaks, principally to the color of the bricks, without compromising on the size or density of the proposal. They will appear before the historical commission again next month but first suffered criticism from the commission’s advisory architectural committee for not reducing the structure’s size.

“You are more than doubling the height of this existing block,” committee member Amy Stein said at a July 26 meeting. “I think the height overwhelms the other buildings in this district. … it seems too tall, and it’s not sympathetic to the historic context.”

Coscia contends that the relevant comparison should not be the broader historic district but the 2200 block of Walnut itself. The nine-story Roosevelt Apartments building sits at the west end of the block and the 11-story Walnut Plaza condominiums are kitty-corner to the site. Facing the proposed condo tower is a suburban-scale Sunoco gas station.

“I don’t think it’s out of scale,” Coscia said. “Look across the street at the gas station, why don’t you do something about that? That’s what’s killing the pedestrian experience. We’re trying to improve it.”
Coscia argues that more density needs to be added to this part of Center City, especially if retail offerings are to be sustainable. The proposed building at 2204 Walnut includes 1,175 square feet of retail, which Coscia hopes will end up as an art gallery.

While leasing on the core commercial corridors of Walnut and Chestnut is strengthening, Coscia notes that on the margins of downtown, the COVID-19 era retail rebound is struggling.

“If you don’t allow more density, retail is not going to work,” Coscia said. “Buildings further into Center City are having a hard time leasing spaces because there’s not enough people to support small businesses.”

Much of the new residential supply coming online in Center City will be contained in major new developments such as the 253-unit Laurel on Rittenhouse Square. But there has also been a trend toward smaller projects arising in the midst of historic residential rows. Other recent examples include the six-story multifamily building at 262 N. 16th St., next to Monk’s Cafe, or the 10-unit condo building at 2110 Walnut.

The Historical Commission will consider the revised 2204 Walnut St. proposal at 9 a.m. Aug. 12.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development