HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:13 PM

With all the packages being delivered this should go ahead

https://midwestgroup.ca/mid-west-par...-in-saskatoon/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 12:24 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 2:09 PM

Nice little video!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Any updates on the Tees and Persse building? I haven't heard anything on that one or seen a pic in ages. Everything online is a year old at least.
A bit of movement on the site today after nothing for months. Looks like some work on the roof. Perhaps some additional concrete prep work as I see some forms.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
A bit of movement on the site today after nothing for months. Looks like some work on the roof. Perhaps some additional concrete prep work as I see some forms.
Is this still going on today? Or was it a one-hit wonder. Would love to see that building completed and occupied. That area sure could use some work.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Is this still going on today? Or was it a one-hit wonder. Would love to see that building completed and occupied. That area sure could use some work.
Yeah they are still there today. Currently a crane is onsite. Looks like they are working on the elevator shaft that’s part of the new addition.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:03 PM

Any chance you could post a photo? Would love to see the progress. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:20 AM

This article started good, and then the author seems to not be able to get any details from any of the projects he mentions, nor realizes Highpoint is being redrawn. Doesn’t even attempt to mention the awesome other projects being done downtown. blech
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...s-of-the-river

edit: oh wait i didn’t realize you had to click into the pictures to get the description lol. oh starphoenix... lol

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:20 PM

Not much action today at Tees and Perse that I can see (update: i saw a guy up top!)but reassuring to see some progress. I’m excited for it to be done - the lights on it are going to add value to my nighttime view. This photo also capture the absolutely horrid John Deere building that city workers actually work in but will maybe one day be a school of architecture? Why? I don’t know. They’ve let that building fall to shit. How would anyone want to be an engineer working for Saskatoon in that &)@:hole

This photo also captures the soon to be torn down liquor store retail for the future library. I sure am going to finally have a good view of downtown with all of this taxpayer subsidization will be nice to have less than 50% surface parking as my view

Last edited by roryn1; Jul 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Not much action today at Tees and Perse that I can see (update: i saw a guy up top!)but reassuring to see some progress. I’m excited for it to be done - the lights on it are going to add value to my nighttime view. This photo also capture the absolutely horrid John Deere building that city workers actually work in but will maybe one day be a school of architecture? Why? I don’t know. They’ve let that building fall to shit. How would anyone want to be an engineer working for Saskatoon in that &)@:hole

This photo also captures the soon to be torn down liquor store retail for the future library. I sure am going to finally have a good view of downtown with all of this taxpayer subsidization will be nice to have less than 50% surface parking as my view

The rumor I am hearing is the developer behind this building is in financial trouble and is unable to pay for the completion of the project (and for some of the work that has already been done).

The work you are seeing now is just to complete enough of the structure so that it doesn't degrade at an accelerated rate due to it being exposed to the elements.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 9:48 PM

Oh jeez. Hopefully someone will come to the rescue and take an equity stake to get this thing figured out. Who is the developer?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:32 PM

Hello Saskatoon

Hi guys. I am originally from Saskatchewan and have lived in Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw and Kindersley though not in that order. I was a registered user when I lived in Calgary almost 13 years ago and have been here in Vancouver since 2007. Back to Saskatoon in February 2019 when it was bitterly cold but I did survive by dressing in layers, etc.
I did manage to spend several hours at the rRemai mModern and I was so impressed. I recall when there were plans to redevelop "South Downtown" as they referred to it in the late 1970's. It took decades to get going but I think the wait was worth it. Saskatoon always seems to grow the skyline in spurts rather than consistently every year. It is great to see the newer projects under construction.
My last residence was The Milroy now The View on Fifth. Large two bedroom suite with parking included for $440 per month back in 1982 when I was transferred to Regina which was actually better than I had expected it to be.
BTW, when I did live downtown there was a choice of supermarkets to shop at. Dominion at the Midtown, Safeway at the Bay and OK Economy beside the Army & Navy. If downtown could support three supermarkets in the early 80's surely they can support at least one in the 2020's.
The new Baydo towers would be my new neighbours if I stayed on Fifth. Nice to see new development in this economy, but I do agree that the look of the towers is rather dated. Saskatoon deserves a better looking skyline in the older established areas and not just at River Landing.
Just wanted to say hi to everyone on this thread. I do miss Saskatoon but mostly in the summer. The winters not so much except for the abundant sunshine. Cheers.
Almost forgot to add a comment on Highpoint. I hope this gets going and is not cancelled.
Obviously the city is no longer as friendly as it was back then. How sad!

Last edited by RobD; Aug 26, 2020 at 9:28 PM. Reason: Add more comments

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 3:40 PM

http://www.cushmanwakefieldsaskatoon...h-jan-2020.pdf

I'm not sure how long this has been up for, but it looks like this building is set for a remodel before being sold in pieces as commercial condos. Seems like something that would be put on a website until they get some bites, meaning who knows if and when it'll actually happen.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:59 PM

^ The remodel is finished.

Follow Strata Development on instagram and you'll see they're prepping the building for a new owner/tenant: https://www.instagram.com/p/CECN6rbnks9/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 1:42 PM

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/fsin-an...toon-1.5082173

Sounds like a huge development will go up near the airport.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:12 PM

I see Mr. Atchinson is taking credit for River Landing in his bid to be Mayor again. I wonder if he will talk about his prominent role in the Saskatoon World Trade Centre building, as well???

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:34 PM

While I think Atch's time has passed and I was disappointed to see him enter the Mayor's race, I do believe he deserves credit for what has become River Landing.

Early in Atch's first term as Mayor, I was in council chambers as part of a group (one of several) proposing an adaptive re-use of the Gathercole Centre. After numerous presentations and extensive debate, the mayor and council took an in-camera break, during which some private discussions on the matter were held. Prior to the break, my take on the position of council was that the majority were in favour of saving the Gathercole Centre, as opposed to tearing it down. Mayor Atchison was clearly in favour of demolition. When they came back into chambers, the attitude of council seemed to have shifted and they voted to demolish the building. It appeared to me that the new mayor had basically told the council in private that the Gathercole Centre was going to be knocked down so that there could be something new built there.

It took awhile, but I believe that what you now see at River Landing is a direct result of Atch's push that night to leave the past behind and focus on the future for that parcel of land.

Last edited by Crisis; Sep 1, 2020 at 3:25 PM. Reason: accidently changed "some credit" to "some" instead of "credit"

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:04 AM

No matter what anyone thinks of Atch, his legacy is the entire modern south downtown of Saskatoon. Credit where credit is due.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:26 AM

No need to knock him down for trying to woo tenants to a downtown WTC - it was all up to North Prairie to do it efficiently and offer competitive pricing which they failed at. Don’t blame the salesmen for a crappy product. Sounds like BHP might make a big announcement in the next 12 months, plus the new funding for irrigation will cheapen the price of some new potash mines and wet fractionation pulse processing here that we’ve missed out on to neighbouring provinces.

Knock him down for making Saskatoon look like a backward place - can’t even support diversity but wants corporate mining jobs in our downtown

Also knock him down for being apart of the issues associated with the Lighthouse and then his solution is to just move it again, instead of getting to the root of the problem and increasing social spending lol. Wow. Dude needs to man up and accept that everyone makes mistakes. What a weird mayor we had.

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...g-water-dreams

https://www.thewhig.com/commodities/...0-993232c53eac

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 1:56 PM

When you reference BHP making an announcement, is that in regards to the Jansen mine? What all do you know?

Last edited by YXE; Sep 1, 2020 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Oops, I didn't read the article

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan