HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 2:49 AM

Unhappy

Man, I hardly post but every time I pop into an American thread I'm always blown away by the fact that it's like 90% personal attacks and shit-slinging. Best of luck, hope I can read about LA some time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I actually think DTLA is in a better position than a lot of other struggling downtowns. I'm already seeing it coming back pretty strong, a little bit faster than I expected. There's no reason it couldn't continue its pre-pandemic trajectory.
The strong and fast recovery downtown that you are experiencing makes sense given the low vacancy rates for its tens of thousands of residential units, and also given LA's rebound in transit ridership--as I previously noted, about a month ago LA Metro's ridership was up to about 70% of pre-pandemic counts, and downtown is the hub of the Southland's public transportation system. That ridership rebound is much stronger than in many other cities; at that same time, NYC's bus and rail ridership was only up to 56-58% of pre-pandemic ridership, and SF Muni's bus and rail ridership was only at
45% of pre-pandemic ridership.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:49 AM
你的媽媽

This might be a pie in the sky idea but has LA ever explored bringing Dodger Stadium downtown? Specifically to Skid Row as part of a revitalization project. It did wonders for SF's SoMA and SD's Gaslamp areas. Now SoMA feels like a pretty well integrated part of downtown SF, whereas before it was just mainly the FiDi and Union Square. And now it connects fairly seamlessly with the development of Mission Bay. Skid Row could kind of be like SF's SoMA now, and the Arts District like SF's MB and Dogpatch (not necessarily part of the inner core downtown but reasonably walkable from end to end). As others have mentioned Skid Row acts pretty much like a donut hole smack dab in the center of the greater DTLA area, so people basically have to go all the way around it to get to the other side. If it ever does get cleaned up, it could be a real catalyst to truly tying the Arts District in with DTLA, rather than feeling like its at the outskirts, like it's a journey to get there, rather than a natural, organic area to continue your urban exploration.

Last edited by homebucket; Jan 17, 2022 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 1:23 PM

Skid row is mainly a collection of wholesale districts. Toy district, seafood district, produce district, and nearby flower district and fashion district. 2000s is when the Arts district was targeted by developers as many early artists became priced out. It's still more or less industrial warehouse wholesale below 4th street. Don't know little Tokyo much but so much of it were parking lots. Especially near the library area.

I remember Downtown around 2010. Homeless population were more widespread. Pershing Square, angels flight, central library, macys when it had a roof, grand avenue., city hall park, park across union Station., around homeboy Cafe. Every metro station. Back then tents weren't as common. Up until 2020 before pandemic, homeless were pretty much pushed into either deep into skid row beyond los angeles street or along the freeway areas of 101, 110. Yes there were individuals scattered but overall the reason the homeless were more concentrated was that developers developing lots of lots for hotels, shops, offices, residential, renovated historic buildings and created new spaces like parks and for the most part things improved year by year.

During the pandemic everything shut down early on. Yes Downtown did slip back a few steps without
The office and government wor, the tourist , no pregame eating and partying at staples or dodgers. Even those who lived there didn't need to such as usc students. Restaurants, bars, even hotels closed.so there were major setbacks. But it wasn't apocalyptic as some like to create this narrative. Back in 2010, which wasn't long ago, was way worse but different.

2021, things turned around. Baseball, basketball, hockey can have fans attend. People are going to Restaurants, bars maybe not fully but still. Residential buildings are no longer giving covid discounts, students are back at usc. Libraries are open. Some companies want workers returning to the office. People booked hotels like the recent rose bowl and parade where Downtown is a big draw, conventions returned. More public transit users.

Not everyone is back to pre pandemic levels in my observations. It will take time before the permanent closesures of shops, restaurants, bars, hotels find new businesses.

But projects are moving forward to completion or opened. The citizens m hotel, Perla, proper hotel,opened, the grand, the herald examiner building and pico fig hotels are on the way, major progress of towers around fig7th. Others I cant remember. The regional connector and 6th st viaduct nearly opening. So it's a positive.

I am overall optimistic for Downtown in future. Covid is not over yet. It will take more indefinite time before full normalcy. International travel for leisure business is dead for now Especially with those countries that require quarantine in return. Even many locals stay away from crowded areas. Many Workers still remote. Everything is indefin. But I'm positive.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yeah, it will continue to grow and mature at a pretty rapid pace. I am sure by the time the 2028 Olympics are in town it will have added another 40 thousand residents. It will probably continue to be one of the faster growing downtowns in the nation even if the population in LA city levels off.
If I had to move to LA, I would move to DTLA in a heart beat. Has somewhat of a NY/ Chicago aesthetic without the shitty winters. I was there just before Covid and it looked pretty busy (with people and development)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:15 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Here’s my quick, simplistic take:

DTLA already a lot going for it:

1. It’s located at the geographic center of LA County and the hub of the region’s rail network, including commuter, inter-city (Amtrak), and eventually CAHSR.

2. It has pedigree. Tall Class-A office skyscrapers with blue-chip tenants, renowned cultural institutions, high-quality food and retail options, and intact pre-war urban fabric — including a pre-war city hall, train station, and public library. Only two of the “Big Six” can say the same (NYC and Philly).

3. The Lakers play there.

The city is projecting 200,000 residents by 2040. Most of them (you would surmise) will be middle class and higher, inevitably attracting more high-paying jobs away from the Westside and bringing even more dining, retail, and entertainment options. The influx of new people (and their money and political power) will finally be enough to form a critical mass of stakeholders that won’t want to put up with tent cities a block from their place of residence, panhandlers at every other corner, or the constant stench of urine.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

including a pre-war city hall, train station, and public library. Only two of the “Big Six” can say the same (NYC and Philly).
Chicago can sorta say the same thing, with the caveat that the old main library building itself now serves as the Chicago Cultural Center, and the main downtown branch of the public library now occupies a newer GIGANTIC building in the south loop.

but the old pre-war library building is still there and publicly accessible. Its interiors are spectacular and any visitor to Chicago would be remiss not to pop in and check it out. You just can't check out books there anymore.

Source: wikipedia

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:49 PM

Chicago Cultural Center has one beautiful view looking out at Grant Park and the lake. I used to enjoy going there in autumn just to see the beautiful fall colors in the park. The Cultural Center is top notch as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions