HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:05 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Peer pressure with masking in general is bad. Either wear one or don't but don't because of group think. Those who opt to wear one should do so out of concern for their own health and well-being (e.g. like Pedestrian) not for appearances. Likewise for not wearing one. I'm vaccinated and I hated wearing them so I stopped....even at the expense of being mistaken for a Trumptard.
And yet all this bitching about other people wearing masks, when you can name legitimate reasons they might... But there's still all this bitching when they do it because one doesn't, and can't, know their motivations, but one can, and does, dismiss it as meaningless "virtue signaling." While, I might add, being self-righteous about not wearing a mask.

How about we all just fuck off to our own affairs and let people wear them if they want to? It harms you not at all if someone else, who, let's remember, is not you, is wearing a mask on their personal face.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah science, as in the more people who get vaxxed the less we talk about masks. not too difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What is the "rationality and science" that suggests wearing masks, even indefinitely, is harmful to human health?
^ Straw man point. Your words, not mine.

Masking indefinitely isn't bad for human health, but it makes one look ridiculous, like they have anxiety or paranoia issues.

Are we going to keep going back and forth about this, I thought I already made this point to you like 3 pages ago.

By the way, I would also argue that trying to completely isolate oneself from any exposure to any virus anywhere is not particularly good for one's health (nor is it even possible). Exposure to viruses is exactly how we develop immunity to them. We only have vaccines against 0.0003% of viruses in existence. The rest requires us to train our immune system, and we only get that through exposure.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

The only places I'm still regularly masking these days are at school drop-off for my kids (the school's rules, not mine), and at our local market where they are still "requesting" (not requiring) customers to wear masks.

I'm enough of a "go along to get along" guy that if an establishment is still requesting masks, I have no issue slapping one on while I shop.

It's just not that big of a deal to me anymore either way now that the silly outdoor masking thing has thankfully gone the way of the dodo around here.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 21, 2021 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What is the "rationality and science" that suggests wearing masks, even indefinitely, is harmful to human health?

Also, what is the "mindless group think" of some people masked and others unmasked?
Exactly. It sounds like the other group is more mindless group think.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Straw man point. Your words, not mine.

Masking indefinitely isn't bad for human health, but it makes one look ridiculous, like they have anxiety or paranoia issues.

Are we going to keep going back and forth about this, I thought I already made this point to you like 3 pages ago.

By the way, I would also argue that trying to completely isolate oneself from any exposure to any virus anywhere is not particularly good for one's health (nor is it even possible). Exposure to viruses is exactly how we develop immunity to them. We only have vaccines against 0.0003% of viruses in existence. The rest requires us to train our immune system, and we only get that through exposure.
Ugh, you know over a million people died from this in the world, right?.it would've been much worse if there were no precautions.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Ugh, you know over a million people died from this in the world, right?.it would've been much worse if there were no precautions.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. None of this has to do with vaccinated people walking around outdoors with a mask on, but go ahead and do you, bro...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It's just not that big of a deal to me anymore either way now that the silly outdoor masking thing has thankfully gone the way of the dodo around here.
^ Did you just call mask wearing by vaccinated people outdoors "silly"?

Get ready to be called anti-health by the group-think police!

Anyhow, ironically I'm wearing a mask as I type this message, since I"m at the office and it's still a requirement in healthcare settings.

But I don't wear a mask anywhere else, because vaccines you know, work.

The other thing is that strikingly good looking people like myself are hindered by masks. I think it's the ugly people who want to keep wearing them, it puts them at a level playing field with the rest of society

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
^ Did you just call mask wearing by vaccinated people outdoors "silly"?

Get ready to be called anti-health by the group-think police!
i've been saying that outdoor masking (in the vast majority of situations) is pretty damn silly for many months now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:

Not sure what point you are trying to make. None of this has to do with vaccinated people walking around outdoors with a mask on, but go ahead and do you, bro...

I am vaccinated and walk outside with no mask.
I just think it'd silly to downplay the damage.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 4:06 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Increasingly, people in places like SF aren’t very open minded people. It’s all about mindless group think

I’m glad I don’t subscribe to that. Rationality and science matters more to me
Then explain why basically all the loudest anti-maskers are from one metro area (Chicago) on the forum? Even 10023.....
Geographical groupthink.
Or Chi-town had a worse experience than lets say....Baghdad?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
And yet all this bitching about other people wearing masks, when you can name legitimate reasons they might... But there's still all this bitching when they do it because one doesn't, and can't, know their motivations, but one can, and does, dismiss it as meaningless "virtue signaling." While, I might add, being self-righteous about not wearing a mask.

How about we all just fuck off to our own affairs and let people wear them if they want to? It harms you not at all if someone else, who, let's remember, is not you, is wearing a mask on their personal face.
That's not what is happening though. I can't believe the vast majority of people in SF want to wear a mask but probably do anyway because of what others might think of them or that's simply what's expected of them. People here on this forum have mentioned examples where they just wore them to avoid negative reactions.

Those who want to wear a mask in areas that are anti-mask are less prone to buckling under the peer pressure. And good on them.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Then explain why basically all the loudest anti-maskers are from one metro area (Chicago) on the forum?
huh?

name them.

it's like two guys (TUP & bnk).

and those two goofballs aren't just loud-mouthed about masks, they're loud-mouthed ax-grinders in general, about any vaguely political topic.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:46 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
huh?

name them.

it's like two guys (TUP & bnk).

and those two goofballs aren't just loud-mouthed about masks, they're loud-mouthed ax-grinders in general, about any vaguely political topic.
10023, twister, lvdw, jtownman, possibly more. I didn't mean you since..."pretty darn silly" is incredibly tame and not loud at all.
Sorry for noticing guys...but remember CA is the lockdown state so it's ok to attack us . Just don't consider it for the Northern parts of the state...too red.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
10023, twister, lvdw, jtownman
10023 - hasn't lived in chicago for well over a decade now

twister - just an extended stay tourist. was very recently living in denver. now temporarily in chicago for the summer. will be moving on to his next "home" very shortly.

lvdw - haven't noticed him saying much of anything about masks.

jtownman - yeah, i did forget he moved here for school. i still think of him as a virginian.

and how about:

Jmanc - not a chicagoan

camelback - not a chicagoan

phil mcavity - not a chicagoan

photolith - not a chicagoan

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 21, 2021 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:17 PM

Quote:
10023 - hasn't lived in chicago for well over a decade now

twister - just an extended stay tourist. was very recently living in denver. now temporarily in chicago for the summer. will be moving on to his next "home" very shortly.

lvdw - haven't noticed him saying much of anything about masks.

jtownman - yeah, i did forget he moved here for school. i still think of him as a virginian.

and how about:

Jmanc - not a chicagoan

photolith - not a chicagoan
You pay attention to details

For everyone here, since this thread is supposed to be "no politics" and more local impacts of the pandemic (or what's left of it) - I would recommend going to the Jungle (CE thread) to throw poo at people with respect to masks. It's great, we have free wine over there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:18 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:

and how about:

Jmanc - not a chicagoan

Not sure about that one (he isn't yelling), but that basically is the entire list! So, it's outsiders who move to the metro, and was it really that bad or are they overblowing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

For everyone here, since this thread is supposed to be "no politics" and more local impacts of the pandemic (or what's left of it) - I would recommend going to the Jungle (CE thread) to throw poo at people with respect to masks. It's great, we have free wine over there.
Nah they too scared, but you aren't.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Increasingly, people in places like SF aren’t very open minded people. It’s all about mindless group think

I’m glad I don’t subscribe to that. Rationality and science matters more to me
Don't mistake the loudmouthed progressives for the mass of the population.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Being an expert in Chicago, was it really that bad or are they overblowing it?
was what ever that bad?

covid?

chicagoland had a slightly worse than average experience with covid compared against other major US cities as far as infection* and death rates go.

(*) IL went all-in on testing pretty early, so our infection numbers will always look worse on paper compared against states with lazier attitudes toward testing, where LOTS of cases went unconfirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
you've talked about your new nomadic lifestyle in this and other threads many times now recently.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 21, 2021 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I'm no fan of Gavin Nuisance but that whole thing at the French Laundry was ridiculous. How was he supposed to eat/drink while wearing a mask?
What was ridiculous was that he was telling people to STAY HOME at that point and AVOID GROUPS OF PEOPLE and he had CLOSED RESTAURANTS TO INDOOR DINING so what did he do? He rented a restaurant, invited a group and they all left their homes and gathered and took off their masks and schmoozed.

It wasn't that he wasn't wearing a mask while eating. It was that he wasn't home and was throwing a party in a supposedly closed restaurant that pretty much required the doffing of masks (to eat, as you say).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions