HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:10 AM

Here's an AP article talking about how this is all false:
https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-382998524238

The SA from Will County states about the "specific, identifiable" person to determine safety. However, there are other sections and clauses talking about detainment that don't say this. They just talk about "the community" or "any persons" (or "a person") instead.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
13 shot in Washington Park yesterday. If this was anywhere else it would have made national news, but it didn't fit the "narrative"

The first thing people think of when you ask them about chicago is crime. No other world class city has this designation. And please stop comparing Chicago to crime ridden dumps like Detroit and Baltimore. "cHiCaGo iS sAfEr tHaN rOcKfoRd aNd DeTrOiT" um, okay? Is Chicago safer than its actual peers? NY? LA? DC? Boston? SF? Seattle? Miami? No. Those cities dont have "40 shot, 10 killed" as weekly headlines

Having a new leader who will crack down on criminals and stop coddling them will go along way for Chicago's public image. Also would be nice if voters stop voting in the same crooks like Foxx. How did she get reelected?
Relax man, Chicago has had a reputation for crime since like 1840. It's not going away no matter what the actual crime rate is, Chicago has just always been the perfect boogeyman for performative moralists and reactionaries. The good news is the city has grown and progressed despite that reputation before, and it will again. Those headlines appeal to a certain type of person that is unlikely to move to Chicago anyway.

The best thing to do if you're a resident is block out the hysteria created by irresponsible media types and politicians. Let Darren Bailey scream into the void about the imaginary purge on the city's streets while we go about our days living in a wonderful lakeside city full of world class amenities. Vote to make the city better for residents, not to make the city look better to people in Xenia, IL. People who seek to understand the world beyond their doorsteps will continue visit and move to the city as long as it is enjoyable to do so.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Buckner is the only person there who talks like he has any plans. Lopez and Vallas just complain about the crime while offering no actual plans for doing anything about it.
Buckner seems to say all the right things, to the point that the cynic in me is waiting for some big story to drop about some insane corruption or something in his closet.

He is a huge advocate for transit and pedestrian infrastructure, too. So far he far and away has my vote, but we'll see.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
People need to read the damn bill instead of thinking what they're being fed in the media is actually correct on this. The whole bill is meant to clear up jails for people on lower level offenses and focus on keeping those charged with violent crimes with good enough evidence detained through their trials. And the scope expands to even be able to ask to detain people who are charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, something that's not even covered today by this. This is doing the opposite of what a lot of people even realize for the violent crime aspect. Again, people need to read the damn bill instead of listening to some video clips or some BS image shared on social media.
This is exactly it. From what I understand this will result in FEWER people charged with violent crimes from being out on the street, because space in jails will not be taken up by someone who can't afford the $2000 bail for defacement of government property for tagging city hall or something.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:41 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

Speaking of favorites (Handro mentioned Buckner), who are your favorites out of the current crop?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
This is exactly it. From what I understand this will result in FEWER people charged with violent crimes from being out on the street, because space in jails will not be taken up by someone who can't afford the $2000 bail for defacement of government property for tagging city hall or something.
I think anybody who objectively reads the detainment/release part of the bill and understands the markup (i.e. underline means new, strikethrough means deleting, etc) can see this. The parts about aggravated discharge of a firearm (i.e. shooting someone), illegal sale of a firearm, etc is all brand new that today isn't even specifically in the law as something that could cause someone to be detained. They even have a few in there about machine gun, automatic switches, laser scopes, etc. It's all brand new stuff. Don't be surprised when we see there's actually more people charged with violent crimes who are being detained thru their trials than we have right now. And yeah of course someone who is charged with shoplifting of $200 is going to be released. Not only is it dumb for a non violent crime like that for them to be taking up space in jail because perhaps they can't afford bail, but it's costing tax payers money and also putting a strain on keeping people who are more "worthy" of being detained fully.

The only question in my mind is how a few clauses talk about a specific, identifiable person needs to be known to do some things with detainment. But then in some other clauses/sections it just says "the community" or "any person or persons."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Seems like simply legalizing a bail bond industry (as most other states have), and capping interest rates to not be overly usurious, would accomplish the same goal of not keeping decent people locked up solely due to an inability to come up with funds on short notice... and the fact that this obvious and widely adopted step was nowhere in the legislative debate means it's at least somewhat reasonable for folks to question the motives and goals of those pushing these particular reforms.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Bullshit.

You're spreading the very same lies and misinformation about the SAFE-T act that GOP operatives in this state want tools like you to spread precisely for political purposes in the upcoming elections.

And with that, it's probably high time for you to crawl back into the CE toilet where you can drink liberal tears to your heart's content.

A geyser of uninterrupted bad faith bullshit is merely the cost of admission to be remotely in play for 35% of the electorate. You have to really step it up several rungs if you want a real shot. That stated, if Bailey doesn't lose by at least 25-30 points, I will be.....unhappy.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:20 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/juic...rty-tax-relief

Quote:
Mayoral hopeful State Rep. Kam Buckner is out with his plan for schools. It features:
  • Spending increases on pre-K programs.
  • Placing at least one nurse, one librarian and one social worker in every school.
  • Expanded vocational programming for kids who do not want to go to college.
  • And a closer partnership with Chicago City Colleges.

Buckner is an ally of the Chicago Teachers Union and many of his proposals parallel positions the union has taken. For his plan to work, CPS will need an additional $436 million a year from the state, but Buckner said he's working on that.
I could get onboard with this plan, but you can't do it without consolidating the schools under 25% capacity. The compromise is fewer schools, with more resources in each school. It's an actual win-win for students and taxpayers. I don't see the CTU agreeing to something so reasonable.

The longer I live here, the more I realize both the CTU and CPD are the true impediments to improving quality-of-life.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:14 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/juic...rty-tax-relief

I could get onboard with this plan, but you can't do it without consolidating the schools under 25% capacity. The compromise is fewer schools, with more resources in each school. It's an actual win-win for students and taxpayers. I don't see the CTU agreeing to something so reasonable.

The longer I live here, the more I realize both the CTU and CPD are the true impediments to improving quality-of-life.
Schools that are so much under capacity are parasitic for the entire system. Its downright ridiculous that the CTU actively fights to keep them open. The money savings from maintenance, heating, cooling, lighting, etc. these vast, empty buildings could go to increase teacher benefits, salaries and working conditions instead. It's almost like they are fighting against their own interests. Mind boggling.

I am a fan of unionized labor overall, but I do agree with you on the CTU and CPD. Sometimes it appears like they are fighting more just to keep the city down rather than to actually benefit their members. Catanzara can take a long walk off a short pier.

Edit: Corrected to CPD, not CFD.

Last edited by left of center; Sep 25, 2022 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Catanzara can take a long walk off a short pier.
Hopefully while handcuffed to Stacy Davis Gates.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 1:50 AM

Chuy Garcia considers another run for Chicago mayor

Quote:
Illinois Rep. Jesus “Chuy” Garcia acknowledged Wednesday that he’s weighing a run for mayor of Chicago, a move that would upend the already crowded race to unseat incumbent Lori Lightfoot, a fellow Democrat.

“I don’t want to pressure myself,” Garcia said at a downtown news conference where he presented a slate of candidates he’s supporting in the spring municipal elections. Block Club Chicago was the first to report on the event.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...mayor-00055245

Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:14 AM
1st Ward

I'm very surprised so many people want such a difficult and thankless job. I guess Chuy is just as qualified as any of the frontrunners. Honestly, anyone but Willie Wilson, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Hopefully while handcuffed to Stacy Davis Gates.

I'd do a pull from a bottle of Malort and chase it by shotgunning an Old Style under the Picasso in Daley Plaza if that happened.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:10 PM

This guy seems to want to see Chicago lose any economic vibrancy.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...olitics-crains

"Johnson would not directly reply when asked if that means reducing spending on police or the size of the department. But he made it clear he agrees with the CTU that Chicago ought to impose a local tax on stock trading and other financial transactions, that Gov. J.B. Pritzker ought to take another swing at enacting a graduated state income tax, and that a possible city income tax is “on the table.”

The absolute last thing Chicago needs is the far left CTU running the City. Those with kids in CPS, know the biggest problem with the system is the union.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The absolute last thing Chicago needs is the far left CTU running the City. Those with kids in CPS, know the biggest problem with the system is the union.
Totally agree, the same goes for CPD and it's union. I think this news helps Lightfoot. She can skate the middle path between him and Vallas until the run-off. Then she can cast whichever opponent emerges from the primary as either "too conservative" or "too progressive."

Chuy getting in the race could change things.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
Totally agree, the same goes for CPD and it's union. I think this news helps Lightfoot. She can skate the middle path between him and Vallas until the run-off. Then she can cast whichever opponent emerges from the primary as either "too conservative" or "too progressive."

Chuy getting in the race could change things.
Public employee unions should be illegal or at a minimum their power greatly reduced. Chuy getting in would be great. The leftists would divide their vote and we would get a Vallas vs. Lightfoot runoff. Vallas is probably the best candidate running, though I do like Lopez.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Public employee unions should be illegal or at a minimum their power greatly reduced. Chuy getting in would be great. The leftists would divide their vote and we would get a Vallas vs. Lightfoot runoff. Vallas is probably the best candidate running, though I do like Lopez.
Noooo I need Kam Buckner to win lol. He's the best hope we have of getting rid of Lightfoot.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Noooo I need Kam Buckner to win lol. He's the best hope we have of getting rid of Lightfoot.
Ha, we have very few good choices unfortunately.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 12:56 AM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

No national politics allowed in here.

Local crap only.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 4, 2022 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 1:20 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Will Chuy run? Supposedly we should know sometime next week. He's cutting it close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest