HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 3:43 PM

Mostly for me, it's riding my bike in some form or another - this year it's been mostly my mountain bike as often as I can squeeze into a week, and a weekly road ride I lead. In the past, I've done more gravel riding and raced cyclocross, but there's only so much time in the week, and the thought of racing this year just sounded painful to me.

I'm also highly involved in the club organization itself, which is a bit bittersweet as it's meetings and admin stuff that I don't really enjoy, but it's for the benefit of the club, which I do want to support.

Outside of that, I do some hobby electronics tinkering/programming, but nothing I would ever show anyone out of embarrassment. My skills are terrible, and it's mostly a diversion from anything remotely resembling my other work/hobbies.

I've been trying to read more, but I'm finding far more success listening to audiobooks, since I can do other things at the same time. I'm slightly bothered by the fact that I'm having a harder time focusing on reading alone, even on lighter, more entertaining thing, like Terry Pratchett.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I was unable to find any great examples of my drawings, but this will suffice. This is a scene of Toronto, looking toward Yonge street,
A Drawing by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Below are close ups.
Fantastic work!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 5:00 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Aside from smoking glue and worshipping Satan, I got back into guitar and music after a long time away from it. My favourite thing these days is YouTube videos consisting of pastiches of old film or TV clips accompanied by whatever noise I feel like making.

Video Link

It's great fun.
Excellent! Two of my favourites over the years. I was quite sad when Patrick Fish died just a couple of years back.

Hobbies: guitar, piano, jigsaw puzzles, reading.

I also love making noise. I tend to be in the garage noise vein though. I never fully complete anything and often don't know where something is actually going. So there's mistakes and miscues. Some day I'll write a complete thought. Maybe. Or just make a bunch more noise.

Guitar, less noisy goofing around
https://soundcloud.com/homeinmyshoes...social_sharing

Guitar, definitely garage

Guitar, Twangy, Echoey

Piano, loungey

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 8:09 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Excellent! Two of my favourites over the years. I was quite sad when Patrick Fish died just a couple of years back.

Hobbies: guitar, piano, jigsaw puzzles, reading.

I also love making noise. I tend to be in the garage noise vein though. I never fully complete anything and often don't know where something is actually going. So there's mistakes and miscues. Some day I'll write a complete thought. Maybe. Or just make a bunch more noise.

Guitar, less noisy goofing around

Guitar, definitely garage

Guitar, Twangy, Echoey

Piano, loungey
Great stuff, like your samples and envious of your piano skills. My take on "completing" things is that something is done whenever you say it is, especially if you're trying to come up with postmodernesque sound pastiches/collages while avoiding traditional pop song structures.

Erm, that sounds more pretentious than I meant it to. Oh, and yeah, RIP Pat Fish, sigh.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:12 AM

For me I have recently been focusing most of my limited hobby time on my YouTube channel, where I can enjoy making my cartoons and keep my editing and sound mixing skills somewhat fresh.

They are nothing spectacular, but they are fun to make and a few people seem to enjoy them.

A few samples from my channel:

This one is a live action spoof of 1950's sci-fi. All the special effects were shot when i was in Nelson and my son was collecting snails!

Video Link

Here are a couple cartoons:

This one honoring Dune

Video Link

And a couple "last day stories" of minor characters in famous movies:

Most recent is 'speed'

Video Link

"Predator"

Video Link

and "Terminator 2"

Video Link

Also got some more charged videos, such as this review of Mrs. Doubtfire...

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I was unable to find any great examples of my drawings, but this will suffice. This is a scene of Toronto, looking toward Yonge street,
A Drawing by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Below are close ups.
That's really nice! I like your style.

My style is very "cartoon...y"

A couple cells from my current cartoon project (a spoof of Blade Runner). I love drawing the backgrounds.

DarkStreet1 by Ian, on Flickr

lookingdown1 by Ian, on Flickr

And for those who can read Japanese there are many Easter eggs...

restaurantbackblue2 by Ian, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:27 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
For me I have recently been focusing most of my limited hobby time on my YouTube channel, where I can enjoy making my cartoons and keep my editing and sound mixing skills somewhat fresh.

They are nothing spectacular, but they are fun to make and a few people seem to enjoy them.
Groovy stuff. We should collaborate on a music video. Me audio, you visual. I'll write a song that makes the young girls cry, and you add a video that gives the young girls epileptic seizures.

Eh?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:48 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Fantastic work!
Thanks!

Quote:
That's really nice! I like your style.

My style is very "cartoon...y"

A couple cells from my current cartoon project (a spoof of Blade Runner). I love drawing the backgrounds.

And for those who can read Japanese there are many Easter eggs...
Thank you! I've been focusing more on drawing scenes from my neighbourhood and downtown, just trying to improve my sense of scaling and perspective. I used to draw more natural scenery predominantly, so expanding my horizons is good.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:55 AM

Perspective is a challenge! Please post more as you make them

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 2:29 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Perspective is a challenge! Please post more as you make them
In that case...here

This is my current side project. (I'm working on a large drawing as well, but it's something that requires a whole lot of patience and a good mind set)

It's a drawing about 8 minutes from me by foot of the new Salvation Army Church, right by Yonge and Eglinton. I messed up the scaling by far on one or two facades, but I'm no longer as....annoyed by it. I don't know every facade by heart, and instead chose to make them more generic, mostly by accidentdespite knowing some buildings better than others. (I also tried to play around with the use of barricades on Eglinton, making them seem larger/more obstructive then they may seem, partly out of my frustration of them. Eglinton is and will cotinue to be a pain to walk through for a long time, oh and I couldn't help but add a cross, there was a tilted long piece of steel on that elevator shaft to be fair )
Derived by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

You can see pencil mars where I'll be drawing in other buildings, notably 2221 Yonge, the second tallest building in the area.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:53 PM

I was captivated by maps as a little boy: world maps, atlases, MapArt road maps, Mississauga Transit maps. Geography was always my passion and as a teenager I joined SCC and SSP, and shortly after I started visiting a Toronto-specific forum called UrbanToronto. Seeing the photos posted in these forums inspired me to buy my first camera in 2004, an Olympus C-5060WZ. Even as my interest in skyscrapers waned, I still sporadically photographed different things and experimented with the camera. This was a digital camera too, no film needed, no real cost to photograph anything.

The turning point was when I read an article in one of these forums about Danish tourists visiting Toronto and expressing their "horror" at Canadian car culture, which I thought was funny and I decided to go out and show Toronto's most touristy areas from their point of view as a joke, which resulted in the "Toronto & the Gardiner" thread. It gave me the idea to start using my camera to go out for one day to a specific place with a very specific goal in mind, mostly to criticize urban sprawl and car dependency, views influenced especially by my time on UrbanToronto.

Despite my efforts to make Mississauga look as bleak and soulless and car-dependent as possible, my photos were met with disdain at UrbanToronto. Seeing me as a promoter of Mississauga and sprawl, the community's anger eventually reached the boiling point, decrying my "incessant boosterism", and that forced me to leave. So SSP became the number one site, and I realized how much stronger and more positive the response my photothreads had always got on SSP, some even comparing my photos to Lewis Baltz. Of course, to please others is not on my mind when I go out to photograph these places, but I am still grateful to have one forum where I can dare to post my photos.

I still have a strong concern about urban development, and my interest in photography has only increased. I always bought photography magazines, especially Black & White, but recently I started collecting those big, expensive, hardcover, coffee-table style photography books. There is a gallery in Toronto asking for submissions of five works from artists to sell as prints, and I have been thinking of submitting five of my photos, which I have never done before, so it will be a new experience.

This is one of the first photos I ever took, on March 4, 2005, with the first camera. I was still a teenager who knew nothing about photography or even how to operate a camera properly. It's the earliest of my photos that I still might consider to be a "keeper" or at least close to being one.

Here is one of the photos I am considering submitting to the gallery, #1 in the series of "Mississauga Mountains". I already posted the entire series somewhere in this forum. They are 12 joke photos I took on February 2, 2019 to criticize the size of the parking lots in Mississauga.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:30 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Groovy stuff. We should collaborate on a music video. Me audio, you visual. I'll write a song that makes the young girls cry, and you add a video that gives the young girls epileptic seizures.

Eh?
I might pay to see/hear this collaboration.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:31 PM
arf

I love that first photo @Doady. So luminous.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 8:54 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I may as well post this, I completed that drawing I posted earlier a few days ago. The perspective is a bit funky on the left side, but overall I don't mind how this turned out. Of course, as of posting this, the Salvation Army looks much more complete with more steel up. The drawing itself took 3 hours, and I used a bit of charcoal to add some texture to the sky.
Salvation Army by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I love that first photo @Doady. So luminous.
Thanks, HomeInMyShoes. That luminosity comes from the sun backlighting the leaf.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 9:39 PM

Bought myself a drone, and a rock tumbler to give myself at Christmas. So those might be two new hobbies of mine. I have all these cool rocks with fossils in them from Grand Bend (Lake Huron). can't wait to get the drone out and start getting some good airial shots for us.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 12:04 PM
Closed account

I'm getting back into fitness after a year of basically doing nothing for exercise. Last year I was in really good shape (6 days a week, 50% cardio), and then fell off the wagon after new years. Now I'm getting back into it after noticing the negative physical and mental effects of longterm sedentary habits. Day 1 was swimming - felt exhausted afterwards, but glad to get back into it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingGuy View Post
I'm getting back into fitness after a year of basically doing nothing for exercise. Last year I was in really good shape (6 days a week, 50% cardio), and then fell off the wagon after new years. Now I'm getting back into it after noticing the negative physical and mental effects of longterm sedentary habits. Day 1 was swimming - felt exhausted afterwards, but glad to get back into it.
The difficulty of "getting back into it" is a big motivator to keep it up for me. Right now I've been managing to get to the gym twice a week, although work/holiday parties have kept me out of it since last Monday.

Did a bunch of my Christmas prep last night - sliced and packaged 5lbs of Montreal-style Smoked Meat and 3lbs of belly bacon. Still have 3lbs of peameal bacon to coat and slice, then I'll determine if I need any more for my freezer packs I am giving out.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 3:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
The difficulty of "getting back into it" is a big motivator to keep it up for me. Right now I've been managing to get to the gym twice a week, although work/holiday parties have kept me out of it since last Monday.

Did a bunch of my Christmas prep last night - sliced and packaged 5lbs of Montreal-style Smoked Meat and 3lbs of belly bacon. Still have 3lbs of peameal bacon to coat and slice, then I'll determine if I need any more for my freezer packs I am giving out.
Good for you man - I like the forward thinking.

Meal prep is a continual struggle for me, but have gotten better at. I freeze basically all my fruit and raw veggies now.

Regarding days/week, i used to do 3 times a week after work in my 20s - this would last for 4 months or so at a time before i'd lose motivation.

In 2020 i decided it needs to be every day, even if it's just something, and it needs to be first thing in the morning. It's the thing I want to do the least, therefore I need to do it first, then the rest of the day will be easy comparatively.

This actually worked for over a year for me, but then when the omicron wave came i wasn't ready for it, and completely fell out of my routine. It's an excuse - i could've done stuff at home but chose to "wait it out" and never went back, until this morning.

Now I'm doing a hard reset, back to waking up at 5 on weekdays, go to the gym first thing, then have a large breakfast before i get to work.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 3:54 PM

^ It's kind of funny, early on in the pandemic I was exercising more than I had in years... I had extra time from not commuting, so I was on the treadmill and lifting weights at home every day. I lost weight in the first six months. I added a rowing machine.

Then work got busy again. My treadmill broke and I've never fixed it. Less time for exercise and just going for walks with kids activities and sports resuming. I gained back the weight I lost plus a few extra pounds. Nothing too crazy, all my clothes still fit. But I went from being down 5 pounds to up 5 pounds over my pre-pandemic weight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada