HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:54 PM

Looking so good!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 5:40 PM

Looks good. Will be fun for the kids next summer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:27 PM

August 4th City Of Regina Update:

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 9:50 PM

New Wascana Pool adding elevator access to tallest waterslide

"It will be, in administration's eyes, one of the first first in Canada, potentially one of the first in North America."

“Adding an elevator will not delay the waterpark’s opening, instead to be built in the 2023 off-season for 2024 or 2025 at latest.
The facility as planned is considered to be 85 per cent accessible, and including elevator access to the waterslide platform would bring that to 100 per cent, said administration.”

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...est-waterslide

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
New Wascana Pool adding elevator access to tallest waterslide

"It will be, in administration's eyes, one of the first first in Canada, potentially one of the first in North America."

“Adding an elevator will not delay the waterpark’s opening, instead to be built in the 2023 off-season for 2024 or 2025 at latest.
The facility as planned is considered to be 85 per cent accessible, and including elevator access to the waterslide platform would bring that to 100 per cent, said administration.”

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...est-waterslide
This is such exciting news!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
This is such exciting news!
I just hope it gets used. $555K plus maintenance and operating costs is a lot if only a couple of people a year use it. I assume they will have some method for the more severely disabled to have assistance or even an attendant that goes down tandem with them.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 7:44 PM

Nice angle

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I just hope it gets used. $555K plus maintenance and operating costs is a lot if only a couple of people a year use it. I assume they will have some method for the more severely disabled to have assistance or even an attendant that goes down tandem with them.
Remember that public services are not meant to be economically-viable. They are meant to improve the quality of life of citizens, including those with accessibility issues. At $555k, that is a drop in the bucket to the amount of taxpayer money that goes to benefit private industry.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Remember that public services are not meant to be economically-viable. They are meant to improve the quality of life of citizens, including those with accessibility issues. At $555k, that is a drop in the bucket to the amount of taxpayer money that goes to benefit private industry.
Of course, but they should the cost should have some relationship to the benefit, economic or otherwise. In this case I believe I would support this, as there are limited rec options available for the disabled and I understood they do use pools frequently. I just want to see it get used a lot.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Of course, but they should the cost should have some relationship to the benefit, economic or otherwise. In this case I believe I would support this, as there are limited rec options available for the disabled and I understood they do use pools frequently. I just want to see it get used a lot.
Totally.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:27 AM

Quote:
I think it will. As someone who works with people with all sorts of disabilities, physical and cognitive, anything that supports community inclusion is a huge win in my books. A lot of people (not saying you) think that people who are disabled can’t do things or that it’s not safe, etc. and that’s simply not true for most people or most things.

I also think something that often gets missed is that people with disabilities often pay for things they can’t use (such as a lot of the pools in this city). An elevator means that a kid with mobility issues can join their friends in water sliding rather than watching from below. A zero-entry pool means that anyone can use that pool. I’m happy to see the city doing things to make a more inclusive community.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
I think it will. As someone who works with people with all sorts of disabilities, physical and cognitive, anything that supports community inclusion is a huge win in my books. A lot of people (not saying you) think that people who are disabled can’t do things or that it’s not safe, etc. and that’s simply not true for most people or most things.

I also think something that often gets missed is that people with disabilities often pay for things they can’t use (such as a lot of the pools in this city). An elevator means that a kid with mobility issues can join their friends in water sliding rather than watching from below. A zero-entry pool means that anyone can use that pool. I’m happy to see the city doing things to make a more inclusive community.
Absolutely. This is a win.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:53 PM

Opening June 8th!

Facility Features:

Wascana Pool has many exciting amenities including:
25m lane pool
1m and 3m diving boards
Climbing wall
25m leisure pool
Two waterslides
Accessible side by side slides
Lazy river
Hot tub
Basketball hoop
Concession, operated by The Bannock House, for both pool and park users
Multi-purpose room
Accessible and all gender washroom and changerooms
Free, accessible and inclusive playground and spray pad beside the facility

More info:

You can expect to enjoy contemporary amenities such as waterslides, a beach-entry leisure pool, a lazy river, a lap pool and diving tank, a hot tub and a climbing wall. The site also features an accessible and inclusive playground and spray pad outside the pool facility.
The facility was designed as one of the most accessible and inclusive outdoor aquatic facilities in the country with features such as zero depth entry options into all pools; fully accessible, all gender washrooms and changerooms and accessible side-by-side slides as well as braille, tactile markings and a tactile map for those with visual impairment.
Sustainability was also top of mind in the design with a regenerative pool water filtration system, a high-efficient water heating plant, solar panels and the City’s first recirculating spray pad, which will also open June 8.
The City intentionally collaborated with several local companies and individuals in construction and beyond where possible to support our economy. The Bannock House is a local vendor who will operate the concession onsite that serves both pool and park users. Local Anishnaabe-Saulteaux artist from the Key First Nation, Larissa Kitchemonia, designed the entrance gate. 

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:46 AM

Awesome use for 3 months of the year!

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Awesome use for 3 months of the year!
But what an awesome 3 months it will be!

We live for our Summers, and with this one already shaping up to be a hot one, this place will be packed.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
But what an awesome 3 months it will be!

We live for our Summers, and with this one already shaping up to be a hot one, this place will be packed.
It’s going to be amazing! Looks so good.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:49 PM

My son is a high school student, I've overheard him and his friends talking about going to Wascana pool this summer. It's rare that teen age boys talk about what they might do tonight, let alone a month from now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:12 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:05 PM

From the City of Regina

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:43 PM

Bear Spray attack on the first day. People were hurt including little kids. Evacuated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan