HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 5:22 PM

5#

6#

7#

8#

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 5:26 PM

here all the design for you guys what do you think
i do like 1# and 5#

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:29 PM

#1 is almost bang on to the idea I've had for years...but the city will likely go with the least expensive option, instead of making the intersection truly iconic.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:31 PM

I just kept writing in the comments: If you want vibrancy you need people. Open the street to pedestrians.

Its funny because the first few options of hanging gardens, 6 story bridges, would never be considered by the city ever from a cost perspective. I actually laughed out loud when i saw them.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 7:06 PM
What could go wrong?

I remember the competition from 10 years ago or so. I believe the one that won back then was one with light poles...I bet it wins again. Fairly cheap. I just hope they fair better than the flag poles that consistently get sheared off at the intersection or the light poles that fail to work at the Hydro Tower.

The raised intersection looks cool and seem to work in places in China with millions of people, but isn't that just taking the situation of pushing people underground to pushing them raised above the ground?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The raised intersection looks cool and seem to work in places in China with millions of people, but isn't that just taking the situation of pushing people underground to pushing them raised above the ground?
Exactly this. I've seen those kinds of sky bridges in China but they are in places like Shanghai where you have thousands of people passing by every hour. Here in Winnipeg we would just end up with not one, but two mostly empty grade separated passageways. And the above-grade one would be empty for several months of the winter. It'll just be Ted from Accounting up there for a smoke once or twice a day. It's a non-starter.

Lighting is the way to go. The technology has improved so much just in the last 10 years. That along with the edge-to-edge paving and bollards in the place of the Berlin Wall will dramatically overhaul the appearance of the intersection.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Exactly this. I've seen those kinds of sky bridges in China but they are in places like Shanghai where you have thousands of people passing by every hour. Here in Winnipeg we would just end up with not one, but two mostly empty grade separated passageways. And the above-grade one would be empty for several months of the winter. It'll just be Ted from Accounting up there for a smoke once or twice a day. It's a non-starter.

Lighting is the way to go. The technology has improved so much just in the last 10 years. That along with the edge-to-edge paving and bollards in the place of the Berlin Wall will dramatically overhaul the appearance of the intersection.
What is exactly is edge to edge paving? Don't all intersections have edge to edge paving?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
What is exactly is edge to edge paving? Don't all intersections have edge to edge paving?
Check out the survey and all will be clear.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
I just kept writing in the comments: If you want vibrancy you need people. Open the street to pedestrians.

Its funny because the first few options of hanging gardens, 6 story bridges, would never be considered by the city ever from a cost perspective. I actually laughed out loud when i saw them.
And where is this vibrancy going, Easton’s, The, Bay, Holt Renfrew, Eaton Place, Portage Place….all either dead or void of anything….

Guess Dollarama still packs em in!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:59 PM

Just gonna leave this here:

"Since we're tearing down the barriers, let's drum up the courage to do something BOLD and turn Portage & Main into the ICONIC intersection we like to believe it should be."

https://t.co/E4KLOMhB0d

From Derick (@infidelatheist)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan