HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I may be in the minority here and all of the earthy people my not like this, but I believe they should build retaining walls on the Assiniboine from the Forks to Osborne and create a proper river walk that is immune from flooding. Some will say that forcing the river down a concrete canyon is not nature and we shouldn't do it, but the enhancements for city residents and tourists would be great. Think of Chicago or San Antonio (or any major city for that matter).

It has been said on here many times in the past that the Forks walkway should be raised, but I am talking about doing both sides of the Assiniboine. I know it would be expensive but in the long run I bet it would pay off.
Not at all a strange notion. Literally any other great river city has this exact thing. I would do it on both sides of the assiniboine to osborne and maybe even to hugo. I'd also extend that to the west banks of the red to the tip of point douglas and to the manitoba rowing club and on to the st vital bridge in the long term. I'd also have that on the east bank of the red from the norwood community centre to whittier park where the red and seine meet.

You could also have public docks at key points, maybe similar to where they are now.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:47 PM
There is always a way

In case I didn't sound ambitious enough, they should restore some of the covered creeks and do fun stuff at the mouth of those creeks too. Rivers in Winnipeg are the most undervalued asset we possess.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 8:31 PM

I completely agree. I’m in the Netherlands right now and the canals sifting through the city are an absolute delight. It also allows for really interesting land use such as high streets and mixed use development. I’m he boat houses are neat too.

Although I can see the other side where the ecological benefits of preserving our riparian forest and even enhancing it would be a massive boost to Winnipeg provided we can develop adjacent to it ala Edmonton by the river valley. I personally prefer having a buffer between the river and human activity.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I may be in the minority here and all of the earthy people my not like this, but I believe they should build retaining walls on the Assiniboine from the Forks to Osborne and create a proper river walk that is immune from flooding. Some will say that forcing the river down a concrete canyon is not nature and we shouldn't do it, but the enhancements for city residents and tourists would be great. Think of Chicago or San Antonio (or any major city for that matter).

It has been said on here many times in the past that the Forks walkway should be raised, but I am talking about doing both sides of the Assiniboine. I know it would be expensive but in the long run I bet it would pay off.
We have something those cities don't have: wildlife that use the riverbanks, deer being the main species.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 9:54 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
We have something those cities don't have: wildlife that use the riverbanks, deer being the main species.
Let's be real about the deer, they're not that exotic and kind of a pest for the most part.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Let's be real about the deer, they're not that exotic and kind of a pest for the most part.
Exactly, deer don’t belong in the city core

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 11:59 PM

Strongly disagree with the last two comments. I grew up in Charleswood and would sometimes see deer in my backyard as a kid. It was something I totally took for granted and thought was normal. Now I'm older and live in another city, and see just how special it is to have deer living in Winnipeg.

They're beautiful creatures, and the fact that we can co-exist with them is something that not many cities the size of Winnipeg can say. One could also say that our connection to nature is one of the defining characteristics of Canada, and our main tourism draw. If Winnipeggers see deer as pests, we do so at our own peril.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 12:39 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Strongly disagree with the last two comments. I grew up in Charleswood and would sometimes see deer in my backyard as a kid. It was something I totally took for granted and thought was normal. Now I'm older and live in another city, and see just how special it is to have deer living in Winnipeg.

They're beautiful creatures, and the fact that we can co-exist with them is something that not many cities the size of Winnipeg can say. One could also say that our connection to nature is one of the defining characteristics of Canada, and our main tourism draw. If Winnipeggers see deer as pests, we do so at our own peril.
I do agree with you, as I also really enjoy having deer in the city, and wildlife corridors, like the riverbanks, are important for more living things than just deer.

But the other posts do make a good point about the deer population - it is out of control in the city. This is mainly due to the lack of predators, the obvious lack of hunting, and ample resources for the deer to feed and mate.

However, we also have cases of Chronic wasting disease (buzzword name: zombie deer disease) in Manitoba's deer population. This could be devastating to the local deer population, especially in Winnipeg where their population is so large. It may be nature's way of controlling the population but it is a prion and it's not a nice disease...

Chronic Wasting disease: (deer blood warning) https://thenarwhal.ca/chronic-wasting-disease-manitoba/

I think the issue is not that we have deer, but that their population is not managed well... and this causes them to be more of a 'pest'. We need to explore how to better manage their existence, and the river corridors in the city and try to create some sort of balance.

Last edited by peg; Feb 28, 2023 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Fixed link.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post

Charleswood isn’t the core. I grew up in Charleswood too and while beautiful, there were way too damn many and they were often a hazard and a nuisance.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:52 PM

The deer were here eons before the people were. They can live wherever they want. Same with the foxes, coyotes and whatever else. They pose no real threat to people, beyond you mowing them down with your car. If it was like BC where there are bears roaming around town on the regular, that's different.

That being said it shouldn't hold up a potential riverbank project in downtown, no matter how pie in the sky it is. The riverbank downtown is not adequate habitat for deer to live.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:04 PM

I wouldn't worry about the deer. They aren't even native to Winnipeg but followed settlers here. I think the first observation of deer in Manitoba was in the early 1880s.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:13 PM

I honestly wonder if it would improve the situation for everyone if deer hunting became more popular. Keep the deer population in check, reduce the potential impact of chronic wasting disease, and hell, provide a source of meat.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:28 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I honestly wonder if it would improve the situation for everyone if deer hunting became more popular. Keep the deer population in check, reduce the potential impact of chronic wasting disease, and hell, provide a source of meat.
Environmentally friendly meat to boot. I don't know that most people would want to deal with the hassle of hunting, hence why most people don't hunt. The amount of hoops you gotta jump through to get started is high, plus you have to be pretty knowledgeable and skilled to do it. And it that wasn't enough, it's hard work!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Environmentally friendly meat to boot. I don't know that most people would want to deal with the hassle of hunting, hence why most people don't hunt. The amount of hoops you gotta jump through to get started is high, plus you have to be pretty knowledgeable and skilled to do it. And it that wasn't enough, it's hard work!
I see all these people running around with camo hoodies and hunting bumper stickers on their F150s... you would think there are thousands of hunters in Winnipeg alone!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 5:29 PM

It's one thing to be a hunter. It's another thing to actually shoot something.

Astronauts spend like 98% of their career on the ground. Some never go to space. Same thing with some hunters lol

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 11:00 PM

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 1:52 AM

Quote:
reduce the potential impact of chronic wasting disease
Quote:
provide a source of meat.
let's eat those delicious prions, zoonosis here we come

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
lmao

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:22 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 2:27 PM

I assume hunters know better than to eat diseased deer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan