HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
It's a sad commentary for this city when the construction of a simple diamond interchange or two is deemed to be considered a major accomplishment of highway construction.
I'm in my late 20s. As far as I'm aware, in my lifetime, the upgrades to Perimeter before 2020 are as follow:

Finishing the NE segment
CCW interchange and overpass with the rail line, close Saskatchewan access
59/101 interchange

So to see three consecutive interchanges lined up, on top of the drastic (but easy) safety improvements done by closing off dirt road accesses in the last couple of years, we're cruising

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:35 PM

So far it is fairly subtitle but there is a fair bit of advanced work happen for the planned Portage and Perimeter changes. They have now replaced all the traffic lights owned by the province (aka west of the Perimeter), change the light patterns and are moving/replacing all the overhead lighting on the interchange.

Before this year the Winnipeg bulk water station for construction, etc use, on the southwest corner was replaced and perhaps relocated slightly as the design plans so that area being slightly impacted.

In terms of traffic flow it is likely to be unnoticed for the most part. The most obvious change is the change to the light cycle but you would need to be familiar with the pattern enough to even notice.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CPT had more of an impact on the east side of the river because there weren't really any decent through routes, just local roads like Springfield. On the west side you have Leila and Inkster.

I can see eventually extending CPT the short distance to McPhillips as some low hanging fruit to go after, but there is no point in going beyond that for a good long while.
Leila is almost as bad as Springfield before CPT Henderson to Lag opened. The main difference being Lelia from Main to McGregor is 6 lane split road and McGregor to Pipeline is four lane. It is far from ideal to handle anywhere near the volume of traffic it does and looking at the positive impact to Springfield the change made there it is needed west if the Red too.

Having been on Lelia between Pipeline and Ritche it is very much not meant to ever become the northern counterpart to Abinojii Mikanah and is exactly why CPT needs to continue from Main to the western city limit near Route 90. It is very much the same idea on how Abinojii Mikanah should go from Plessis through to McGillivary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's why the Perimeter is there
CPT is the same as Abinojii Mikanah just on the north side of the city. The Perimeter is not a replacement for either of them and both are essential.

The long term plan is to have an inner ring road network which includes CPT and Abinojii Mikanah and the outer ring network (the Perimeter) and limited access high speed routes connecting between the two.

Building out a road network to get traffic out of neighborhoods and off residential streets is something I thought would be a priority here. Just look at Springfield between

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 9:28 PM

^ I'm not saying the City should never build out CPT, it will happen eventually. Just that the need is not that great yet, particularly for the stretch west of McPhillips where there is little development north of the ROW, and the Perimeter is very close by, much closer than the distance between Bishop Grandin and the South Perimeter.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
So far it is fairly subtitle but there is a fair bit of advanced work happen for the planned Portage and Perimeter changes. They have now replaced all the traffic lights owned by the province (aka west of the Perimeter), change the light patterns and are moving/replacing all the overhead lighting on the interchange.

Before this year the Winnipeg bulk water station for construction, etc use, on the southwest corner was replaced and perhaps relocated slightly as the design plans so that area being slightly impacted.

In terms of traffic flow it is likely to be unnoticed for the most part. The most obvious change is the change to the light cycle but you would need to be familiar with the pattern enough to even notice.
I think you're reading a bit too much into these changes, its probably routine maintenance. Governments love to run pressers and announcements on big projects that help them get votes. They did several around the PTH3/100 interchange and today was the second announcement regarding the St Anne interchange, with just a few more details to keep things interesting. Hell they even did a presser just for the service road between Roblin and Wilkes.

I think if they were really shaping up the Portage/Perimeter interchange to be reconfigured to the SPUI they have planned in the South Perimeter study then it would have been announced publicly.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I think you're reading a bit too much into these changes, its probably routine maintenance. Governments love to run pressers and announcements on big projects that help them get votes. They did several around the PTH3/100 interchange and today was the second announcement regarding the St Anne interchange, with just a few more details to keep things interesting. Hell they even did a presser just for the service road between Roblin and Wilkes.

I think if they were really shaping up the Portage/Perimeter interchange to be reconfigured to the SPUI they have planned in the South Perimeter study then it would have been announced publicly.
I feel like it is routine maintenance that needs to be done either way, but they must be at least roughly factoring in the functional design study when deciding where they install new equipment.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 1:20 PM

I've noticed that there appears to be bridge forms on site at the St Mary's project.

It also looks like they are operating 7 days/week, not sure how many hours per day though.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I think you're reading a bit too much into these changes, its probably routine maintenance. Governments love to run pressers and announcements on big projects that help them get votes
Roblin on the Perimeter had an extensive overhaul a few years back including enlarging the Perimeter (under) side of the existing structure to accommodate six lanes. It included a two full new decks (one each side). It was a very low key project.

Portage and the Perimeter seemingly moved the water station back a little from the intersection which is needed for the road changes. Now all the underground for electrical is being relocated. This isn't a simple swap lights or poles or anything, they are digging in brand new concrete posts into new locations.

The possible change to the traffic light sequence also doesn't make sense for the current configuration but would lineup with the planned changes.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Roblin on the Perimeter had an extensive overhaul a few years back including enlarging the Perimeter (under) side of the existing structure to accommodate six lanes. It included a two full new decks (one each side). It was a very low key project.

Portage and the Perimeter seemingly moved the water station back a little from the intersection which is needed for the road changes. Now all the underground for electrical is being relocated. This isn't a simple swap lights or poles or anything, they are digging in brand new concrete posts into new locations.

The possible change to the traffic light sequence also doesn't make sense for the current configuration but would lineup with the planned changes.

I hope they are fast tracking these interchange conversions. The other cloverleafs at the Pembina interchange and Fermor interchange are in desperate need of an overhaul as well main street, and the perimeter should become a simple diamond as that interchange is far too outdated ramp wise with too much weaving with transport truck traffic increasing each year.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I hope they are fast tracking these interchange conversions. The other cloverleafs at the Pembina interchange and Fermor interchange are in desperate need of an overhaul as well main street, and the perimeter should become a simple diamond as that interchange is far too outdated ramp wise with too much weaving with transport truck traffic increasing each year.
Wilkes at the Perimeter is the worst in terms of needing upgrades and is likely the lowest hanging fruit. Simply pull the interaction point between the through lanes and the two ramps 1/2 - 1 km south. Add longer deceleration and acceleration lanes. Done. Needed change is at-grade pavement.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is what happens when a roadway built in the mid 1960's with the standards of that era are left to languish for close to 60 years!

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is what happens when a roadway built in the mid 1960's with the standards of that era are left to languish for close to 60 years!

All political parties in this province get an F in terms of accountability on road infrastructure!

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:34 PM

My ideal interchange at Hwy 15 and Perimeter Hwy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:V...ge_Diagram.gif

A 3 level diamond interchange should be put at Hwy 15 and the Perimeter Hwy (Volleyball Interchange). Underpass (First Level); Perimeter Hwy going underneath hwy 15 and CN Reddit Subdivision. Second Level; CN Reddit Subdivision going over Perimeter Hwy Northbound, and Hwy 15 going over Perimeter Hwy Northbound. Third Level; Junction where Hwy 15 and Perimeter can intersect. Exit lanes going from Southbound or Northbound to and from Perimeter can go over Railway tracks and create less stops

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:54 PM

Interchanges I'd perfer on the Perimeter Hwy

These are Intersections with Interchanges that aren't currently built, plus already with interchange that I thing could improve.

Fermor Ave: Cloverstack Interchange
Symington Road: Diamond Interchange
Lagimodiere South: Cloverstack Interchange
St Annes Road: Partial Cloverleaf A4 or SPUI
Kenaston Blvd: Cloverstack or Two Level Turbine Interchange (as 75 might be realigned to that route)
Hwy 330: Diamond or Parclo A4
Road 8N: Diamond
McGillvary Blvd: Partial Cloverleaf A4
LaVerendrye Road: Diamond
Portage Ave: Parclo A4
Centreport Canada Way: Stack Interchange/ Turbine Stack Hybrid
Hwy 6: Cloverstack
Sturgeon Road: Diamond
Hwy 7: Cloverstack (Like 59 North)
Pipeline Road: Parclo A4
Hwy 8/ McPhillips: Parclo A4
Main St/ Hwy 9: SPUI
Wenzel Road: Diamond Interchange
Hwy 15/ Dugald Road: 3 Level Diamond Interchange

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Leila is almost as bad as Springfield before CPT Henderson to Lag opened. The main difference being Lelia from Main to McGregor is 6 lane split road and McGregor to Pipeline is four lane. It is far from ideal to handle anywhere near the volume of traffic it does and looking at the positive impact to Springfield the change made there it is needed west if the Red too.

Having been on Lelia between Pipeline and Ritche it is very much not meant to ever become the northern counterpart to Abinojii Mikanah and is exactly why CPT needs to continue from Main to the western city limit near Route 90. It is very much the same idea on how Abinojii Mikanah should go from Plessis through to McGillivary.

CPT is the same as Abinojii Mikanah just on the north side of the city. The Perimeter is not a replacement for either of them and both are essential.

The long term plan is to have an inner ring road network which includes CPT and Abinojii Mikanah and the outer ring network (the Perimeter) and limited access high speed routes connecting between the two.

Building out a road network to get traffic out of neighborhoods and off residential streets is something I thought would be a priority here. Just look at Springfield between
Well, Chief Peguis could be built, but not to a Freeway standard like the city wants to do. It should be a parkway and give better access to neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:13 PM
What could go wrong?

June 8, 2023

PROVINCE ADVISES SECTION OF SOUTH PERIMETER WILL BE TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION

Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure reports construction will close a portion of the South Perimeter Highway at the St. Mary’s Road interchange overnight from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. starting June 12 at 9 p.m. until June 30 at 5:30 a.m.

The temporary closures are related to construction on the St. Mary’s Road Interchange Project, part of the Winnipeg One Million Perimeter Freeway Initiative, which aims to support Manitoba as an international trade hub and accommodate the anticipated future population of Winnipeg and surrounding areas. The initiative includes a plan to upgrade the Perimeter Highway to a freeway standard as Winnipeg approaches a population of one million.

Motorists are encouraged to avoid the area. Motorists looking to bypass Winnipeg should consider using the North Perimeter Highway to avoid delays. For local traffic, a detour using St. Anne’s Road, Abinojii Mikanah (formerly Bishop Grandin Boulevard) and St. Mary’s Road will be in place. Motorists should also consider using alternate routes along other city arterial streets outside the closure area.

Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure will update impacts to traffic through the Manitoba 511 information system at www.manitoba511.ca.

For more information on the One Million Perimeter Freeway Initiative, visit www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/index.html.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:38 PM

Good on them for making it an overnight closure only.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:23 PM

They have been hard at work in the overnight hours on the new road bed love to see this happening right in front of our eyes!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:27 PM
There is always a way

The next projects cannot start soon enough. I'd love to see Ste Anne's and 331 fast tracked. That would only leave the mess at Kenaston/Waverley that would still have lights when you factor in that MacGillivray is next up.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The next projects cannot start soon enough. I'd love to see Ste Anne's and 331 fast tracked. That would only leave the mess at Kenaston/Waverley that would still have lights when you factor in that MacGillivray is next up.
I agree with you. But wanna know what is stupid? When they extended Kenaston to the Perimeter, they closed Waverley going northbound, and left it open Southbound. Why didn't they close the whole intersection and open one big one at Kenaston to go south to Waverley? Or even build an interchange at first? How dumb. Even a simple Diamond interchange should've been put there. That wouldn't be what I want, but better than nothing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan