HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:47 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This sounds like a bridge that we can cross when kids actually get vaccinated.
I would have gone with claiming that the lockdowns will resume, since that generates much more fear than the boosters or masks.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I would have gone with claiming that the lockdowns will resume, since that generates much more fear than the boosters or masks.
Yeah, I just have COVID argument fatigue. One of the primary reasons that this has gone on so long is precisely because of people whipping up personal liberty hysteria about every solution that has been presented to us. Some of the same people who have no problem putting their kids into school mandated uniforms are shitting bricks about the school telling them that their little pumpkins also have to wear a mask, lol. It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:01 PM
The City

Quote:
This sounds like a bridge that we can cross when kids actually get vaccinated.
There is no crossing of any bridge. The loonies have taken over the world!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I question your authority to criticize my stance. I think you are just ignorant on the issue (and who knows how much else).
^ And I question your ability to question my questioning your sanity

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
10028 also
you mean 10023?

i don't think he's lived in the windy city since the dubbaya administration.

and he certainly wasn't in chicago for any part of covid, at the very least.

try again.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Some of the same people who have no problem putting their kids into school mandated uniforms are shitting bricks about the school telling them that their little pumpkins also have to wear a mask, lol.
FTR, i'm not shitting bricks about anything.

all i did was express hope that school masking rules might get relaxed now that the 5-11's can get vaxxed.

that's all i said, quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
mine are 5 and 7 and masks really don't seem to phase them anymore either, and they still have to wear them all day at school (but i pray that will soon be coming to end now that the 5-11's can get vaxxed).

no bricks coming outta my butthole.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
you mean 10023?

i don't think he's lived in the windy city since the dubbaya administration.

and he certainly wasn't in chicago for any part of covid, at the very least.
That's who I meant, and it still counts though!

Quote:
try again.
TUP and jtownman? Both claimed the city was the worst of all time during COVID.
^both not actually from the City too, I bet.
Quote:
FTR, i'm not shitting bricks about anything.

all i did was express hope that school masking rules might get relaxed now that the 5-11's can get vaxxed.

that's all i said, quoted below:
They will no longer be required to wear masks when they get vaccinated, might take a month or two, but the end is near.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I just have COVID argument fatigue. One of the primary reasons that this has gone on so long is precisely because of people whipping up personal liberty hysteria about every solution that has been presented to us. Some of the same people who have no problem putting their kids into school mandated uniforms are shitting bricks about the school telling them that their little pumpkins also have to wear a mask, lol. It's ridiculous.
Wearing a uniform is a pretty normal thing, throughout history, for quite a lot of people. One could even argue (and I would) that every lawyer, banker, or other businessperson that puts on a suit and tie in the morning is in uniform.

Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth and trying to interact with other humans without being able to discern facial expressions or really know what they look like is not normal. It’s either meant to hide identity (like, say, ninjas) or de-humanize a person (like women in the Arab world).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
One of the primary reasons that this has gone on so long is precisely because of people whipping up personal liberty hysteria about every solution that has been presented to us.
Unfortunately if you look around the world there are lots of places that have imposed just about any conceived measure but none of them have managed to eliminate covid as a problem. At best they've created "walled gardens" that are hard to get into or out of, or they still have cases but keep deaths relatively low through a high vaccination rate.

We've had a mask mandate and vaccine passports for months here and there was no discernible impact on infection or death rates. We're also up over 90% of eligible vaccinated yet there's still nothing resembling herd immunity. At various times I've heard that masks, a high vaccination rate, or vaccine mandates will bring us back to "normal", or weird goalpost moving/gaslighting about how the current situation (e.g. requiring PCR testing to travel 50 km around here) is normal.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth and trying to interact with other humans without being able to discern facial expressions or really know what they look like is not normal. It’s either meant to hide identity (like, say, ninjas) or de-humanize a person (like women in the Arab world).
No, wearing masks are not limited to concealing identity or dehumanization. People have commonly worn masks throughout history to protect their faces against the weather, dress up in costumes, and to mitigate the spread of airborne viruses. We've worn masks to protect against airborne viral spread for as long as we've understood the concept of airborne viruses.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:29 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
No, wearing masks are not limited to concealing identity or dehumanization. People have commonly worn masks throughout history to protect their faces against the weather, dress up in costumes, and to mitigate the spread of airborne viruses.
Allergies, smoke, high altitude training, dirt biking, and spare the air days.
At least he is being honest about the fact that he just doesn't like to wear the thing.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
TUP and jtownman?
Only TUP has young kids in public school. And we already mentioned him. He's one of the few people in this thread in that boat like me. And as I said before, it's merely a coincidence that we both live in Chicagoland.

Jtown doesn't have kids. he lived here in Chicago briefly for school, but I believe he has already moved on, or has at least made his plans to do so. As one of our forum's more ridiculous reactionaries, he never had the mettle to handle a city like Chicago in the first place, not even in the "before times".

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:56 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Only TUP has young kids in public school. And we already mentioned him. He's one of the few people in this thread in that boat like me. And as I said before, it's merely a coincidence that we both live in Chicagoland.

Jtown doesn't have kids. he lived here in Chicago briefly for school, but I believe he has already moved on, or has at least made his plans to do so. As one of our forum's more ridiculous reactionaries, he never had the mettle to handle a city like Chicago in the first place, not even in the "before times".
Oh the qualifier is they have to have kids? I was just assuming since they hated every step taken by the City previously (which were correct steps), that they would also hate this one. I don't have kids so I will shut down and cancel my discussion of the issue. I will mention that the people who are making the policies for y'all are in the same boat as some of us who don't have kids.
There is new booster science coming, so direct yourselves to the CE.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Twister neither has kids nor does he live in Chicago (nor anywhere for that matter, he's a modern nomad).
To be clear, a nomad at the moment. I am in Spain, but coming back to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I'm actually thinking about planting a stake in Chicago and buying a condo, or renting an apartment. Remote work is here to stay, and if I am going to live anywhere, I would prefer Chicago. I thought about Miami for a few months, but short-term rentals down there are just too much for my liking Jan/Feb/Mar.

So, there's one positive impact on Chicago from Covid. It brought you one more person to live in the city you can add to your 2030 census total

Now, my parents grew up in Evanston/NW side and most of my family is there now. Plus, I just freaking love the city. Always have.

If you can work from wherever you want now, why not work from where you want to actually live.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 10:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh yeah, now that you mentioned it, I do remember you talking about considering buying a condo here as a "home base" because real estate in Chicago is so inexpensive.

Quote:
Oh the qualifier is they have to have kids?
Well, this was my comment that took us down this tangent:

Quote:
i think it's more just the coincidence that TUP and I are the exception around here in that we both currently have 5-11 year old kids enrolled in public schools.

i know eschaton does too. how many other of the regular posters in this thread are in that same boat?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 10:21 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Well, this was my comment that took us down this tangent:
It has been canceled on my end. Not a parent. I accept the rules.
I'm sure my positive message about them not wearing masks in a month or two should get a pass at least? Hopefully it makes parents a bit happier now.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 10:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The CDC determines the science, not the individual who no longer likes their science. Remember when they changed the rules for masks if a person was vaccinated? All of you loved that science, but now you guys don't like the science because you don't want a booster. Just say you hate the COVID measures now, instead of claiming that it's not science. It still is, and it's infectious disease experts determining it.
10028 knows what's up, he just says he doesn't care. None of that "it's not science!" bs.
Aaron Rodgers did the same thing, he claimed that all this stuff is not based on science. It actually is, it's just that some people don't like it anymore (or never liked it).
It's not about wanting the booster; the CDC/ FDA (the science) are on the fence about everyone needing the booster shot which is why they haven't authorized widespread use yet. Though as of today, Pfizer asked for emergency authorization for everyone 18 and up. I was eager to get my two Pfizer shots because they were recommended and authorized for everyone 18 and older but until the science gives the all clear for the booster for my age group, I am in no hurry to get one and I am pretty sure the efficacy of my vaccine has dwindled.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 10:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I'm sure my positive message about them not wearing masks in a month or two should get a pass at least? Hopefully it makes parents a bit happier now.
For sure! IF that actually pans out.

Like many others here have expressed, I think a giant portion of our society has simply become very fatigued by the never ending string of goal post moves regarding everything covid.

CPS still has mask rules in place for its high schools, despite the fact that all highschool teachers, staff, and students have been able to get vaxxed for many months now, so I remain EXTREMELY skeptical about any timelines involving the elementary schools.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:35 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

I received my booster jab today (healthcare worker). It feels like someone is drilling into my arm with a power drill.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

we finally got our 5 and 7 year old kids scheduled for their first jabs over at our local walgreens next week!

Chicago (or at least our neighborhood anyway) is gonna have A LOT of vaxxed kids soon, slots for kids have been filling up within minutes as soon as they open up, which, though frustrating in the moment, is overall a very positive sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions