HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
The Norwood Tower is my favorite tower in Austin. And it serves as a good representation of Art deco. People are always stumped when they ask me what my favorite tower in Austin is. They don't expect to hear about this one. It's a beautiful building.

Or is it Gothic architecture? I confuse the two sometimes.

https://www.norwoodtower.com/
It is one of those that is sort of both, but mostly neo-gothic. Built in 1929, it definitely displays some art-deco influences of the period.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
The Norwood Tower is my favorite tower in Austin. And it serves as a good representation of Art deco. People are always stumped when they ask me what my favorite tower in Austin is. They don't expect to hear about this one. It's a beautiful building.

Or is it Gothic architecture? I confuse the two sometimes.

https://www.norwoodtower.com/
It's called "Gothic Revival". Popular in the 1920s.There were many "revival" movements in the early 20th C. Art Deco Is a specific style in a time period. Many styles overlap within time periods.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:26 PM

Gargoyles & grotesques are my favorite when included in modern architecture. It's rare to see, but oh so lovely. Austin would stun with something like that, but I'm afraid we're sometimes about 10 years behind on trends. Maybe in 2030-2040?

I could actually see an architect add in something that might compliment our local eco-system instead of a straight up horned gargoyle. Simple stone clad tower with something like this lightly blended in:

Washington National Cathedral – Washington D.C., USA -- Photograph by Michael ‘Bodhi’ Rogers on Flickr
https://twistedsifter.com/2013/04/ga...und-the-world/

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:34 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Gargoyles & grotesques are my favorite when included in modern architecture. It's rare to see, but oh so lovely. Austin would stun with something like that, but I'm afraid we're sometimes about 10 years behind on trends. Maybe in 2030-2040?

I could actually see an architect add in something that might compliment our local eco-system instead of a straight up horned gargoyle. Simple stone clad tower with something like this lightly blended in:

Washington National Cathedral – Washington D.C., USA -- Photograph by Michael ‘Bodhi’ Rogers on Flickr
https://twistedsifter.com/2013/04/ga...und-the-world/
Maybe to add some humor, a blind salamander or a bat? Or a jackalope.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
In all seriousness, YES YES YES

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's called "Gothic Revival". Popular in the 1920s.There were many "revival" movements in the early 20th C. Art Deco Is a specific style in a time period. Many styles overlap within time periods.
Well it's a beautiful building either way. And doesn't get talked about often. Would've probably been nicer if it stood at least 200ft taller.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:09 PM
Meh

Quote:
That's actually a really great idea. Especially the bats and salamanders.

I will say, though, the thought of jackalope gargoyles on Congress Avenue makes me laugh.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:14 PM
World Traveler

Haha, it would be a very Austin thing to do, also....

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:10 PM
Meh

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...t-3-6m-apiece/
New condos at old HOPE graffiti park to cost $3.6M apiece
Units expected to be ready by winter 2022; Art park has new location near airport

by: Parimal M. Rohit, Austin Business Journal
Posted: May 12, 2021 / 11:24 AM CDT / Updated: May 12, 2021 / 11:24 AM CDT

AUSTIN (Austin Business Journal) — Plans to build 10 luxury condominiums at the former home of HOPE Outdoor Gallery are moving forward, as the project’s developer broke ground April 8 on The Colorfield at 1012 Baylor St.

Cumby Group said the condo project’s name and design are meant to invoke the former outdoor art gallery and graffiti park. The Colorfield will also have a permanent mural wall. The entry-level asking price for units is $3.6 million.

-

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-art-site.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Haha, it would be a very Austin thing to do, also....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...t-3-6m-apiece/
New condos at old HOPE graffiti park to cost $3.6M apiece
Units expected to be ready by winter 2022; Art park has new location near airport

Cumby Group said the condo project’s name and design are meant to invoke the former outdoor art gallery and graffiti park. The Colorfield will also have a permanent mural wall. The entry-level asking price for units is $3.6 million.
Now that sounds like a very current-Austin thing... $3.6 million entry... maybe some of the former graffiti artists will be taking residence. And maybe they'll throw a salamander-gargoyle on that "mural wall" ha

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 11:35 AM

According to the Towers article, the units are super expensive because they are huge. There are only ten units in the building because the neighborhood association wanted to limit traffic. That is the kind of NIMBYism that is ruining this city! We need lots of small, affordable units STAT! If you can't build to any kind of density on the very edge of Downtown because of traffic concerns, where can you?

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
According to the Towers article, the units are super expensive because they are huge. There are only ten units in the building because the neighborhood association wanted to limit traffic. That is the kind of NIMBYism that is ruining this city! We need lots of small, affordable units STAT! If you can't build to any kind of density on the very edge of Downtown because of traffic concerns, where can you?
I like Towers and I'm a big fan of James' work. I wish he had put his usual snark into pushing back against the developer (and by association, the neighborhood group) quote about creating "larger, family friendly homes". Nothing screams "family friendly" like 5k sq ft costing way more than $3.6M!

In fairness, nothing short of a gigantic high rise there would have units affordable to the average person. But that was an absurd quote.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:28 PM

No matter how many units they put there it would never have as much traffic as the graffiti park. I think the neighborhood association was afraid of losing their downtown views.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:45 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
No matter how many units they put there it would never have as much traffic as the graffiti park. I think the neighborhood association was afraid of losing their downtown views.
Yep.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:54 PM

Incumbency is the most powerful force in the US cities, IMO.

EDIT: fixed it.

Last edited by We vs us; May 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 8:34 PM

They want people to share the taxes without the traffic. Hmmmm. I'm going to start the chant in the sushi aisle of Trader Joe's and see if this things got legs. On-ly O-li-garchs! On-ly O-li-garchs!

ITS OOIMBY Damnit.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:16 AM
Meh

The former Sellers Underground Club in the warehouse district sold. It's at 213 West 4th Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...round-bar.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The former Sellers Underground Club in the warehouse district sold. It's at 213 West 4th Street.

Probably too small to redevelop on its own, unless this is the first in a series of assemblages. The Warehouse District may still be safe for now.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:06 PM

Quote:

I really hope the city protects these buildings. Our downtown will have zero character if we destroy everything.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:

I totally forgot about that place since the pandemic lol. As someone who frequents the gay bars, Sellers and the bars before it in space it occupied have always struggled. It's just not a very good place for a bar (no patio, bad layout).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin