HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:28 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 830 Eddy St | APPROX 130 FT | 13 FL

Quote:

. . . this 137-unit apartment building includes three townhouse units adjacent to the pedestrian lobby facing Eddy Street. The building will feature a car elevator, and provide 82 car parking spaces and 137 bicycle parking spaces. A large roof deck offers panoramic views of the city lights and beyond.

This 13-story high-rise tower is designed to exhibit a verticality that belies its proportions. The Eddy Street façade consists of a GFRG frame with a vertical orientation. The infill walls and windows are deployed in a rhythmic manner to contrast the rigor of the frames. An “off white” palette reflects the color and texture of early 20th century apartment buildings in the city.

The Willow Street façade includes residential stoops and Juliet balconies that give this narrow alley a pedestrian scale. The Willow façade consists of two volumes: the lower volume holds the street edge, and there is a setback above the fifth story to allow additional sunlight to reach the street.
https://www.bararch.com/project/830-eddy

Site prep has begun:

My photo today

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:05 AM
Hopeful Graduate

This street is really scary especially at this corner, its amazing the lengths people will go to live in SF.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:29 AM

^^You scare easily. A fair number of homeless people hang out at or around the Burger King. Seems like more since the McDonald's closed (where they used to hang out) and the BRT project started. Actually, Eddy is scary in the Tenderloin, mainly at night, and also further west near the Western Addition projects. But right now at Van Ness and between Van Ness and Gough it's just a mess due to the construction. I'm just wishing they'd get the BRT construction over and clean up the debris but unfortunately I know it'll be another 2 years.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:16 AM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^ True it is worse at night and it does get worse when you head a few blocks down but this area needs massive improvement at the ground level even at this corner. And the construction is really just gravy, this area is depressing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:26 AM

Apparently there's a midnight tour around this area in some of the buildings that are "haunted"...

My friends who just came here went to it and I was amazed that they didn't get hurt or anything

This new project should help make the area "better" but damn... this is legit the worst spot in SF

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Apparently there's a midnight tour around this area in some of the buildings that are "haunted"...

My friends who just came here went to it and I was amazed that they didn't get hurt or anything

This new project should help make the area "better" but damn... this is legit the worst spot in SF
I recommending a visit to Golden Gate and Hyde. Go armed. It'll change your mind about "the worst spot in SF". Polk & Eddy is another spot in contention. Nowhere on Van Ness comes close. And I know of no "haunted" buildings in the immediate area. Most of the buildings around there are fairly new (multiple condos, Pacific Medical Center's new hospital and office building), rehabbed (2 or 3 older apartment buildings) or awaiting demo for new construction (the old KRON building, the former McDonald's site) or rehab (the once Honda dealer, more recently Cooper dealer soon to be multistory health club).

In fact, there's as much or more new construction along Van Ness as along Market St. and it was never as scary as Mid-Market.

Van Ness is suffering from the "broken window" syndrome. It's such a mess due to the construction that everybody trashes it . . . literally. They removed all the trash cans so people just throw debris anywhere. The contractor is allowed to leave things in any old state. A friend of mine tripped and fell because they removed the grates on the tree wells and haven't replaced them so most of them are below sidewalk level making a hazard if you don't watch your step.

None of this was true before the construction started. That block was unexceptional then and I hope it will go back to being although it may suffer from the general catastrophe that San Francisco's homeless problems have become.

But there's no question the Burger King and the Round Table are homeless magnets as well as a source of litter from people who get food to go and then just throw the wrapping anywhere because there are no trash cans.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I recommending a visit to Golden Gate and Hyde. Go armed. It'll change your mind about "the worst spot in SF". Polk & Eddy is another spot in contention. Nowhere on Van Ness comes close. And I know of no "haunted" buildings in the immediate area. Most of the buildings around there are fairly new (multiple condos, Pacific Medical Center's new hospital and office building), rehabbed (2 or 3 older apartment buildings) or awaiting demo for new construction (the old KRON building, the former McDonald's site) or rehab (the once Honda dealer, more recently Cooper dealer soon to be multistory health club).

In fact, there's as much or more new construction along Van Ness as along Market St. and it was never as scary as Mid-Market.

Van Ness is suffering from the "broken window" syndrome. It's such a mess due to the construction that everybody trashes it . . . literally. They removed all the trash cans so people just throw debris anywhere. The contractor is allowed to leave things in any old state. A friend of mine tripped and fell because they removed the grates on the tree wells and haven't replaced them so most of them are below sidewalk level making a hazard if you don't watch your step.

None of this was true before the construction started. That block was unexceptional then and I hope it will go back to being although it may suffer from the general catastrophe that San Francisco's homeless problems have become.

But there's no question the Burger King and the Round Table are homeless magnets as well as a source of litter from people who get food to go and then just throw the wrapping anywhere because there are no trash cans.
Whenever I go to events at Bill Graham I usually park in the parking garage on Larkin and Golden Gate... and that is VERY scary.

Thankfully there's a good amount of police outside of the San Francisco Passport Agency(?) whenever I go

I remember one time I walked from Fillmore (venue), heading south and then turning into McAllister St or Fulton St until we hit City Hall and I was scared out of my mind with my friends. We were like 19 and didn't really know much of the area and we declared that we will NEVER do that ever again

I'm gonna ask my friend about the haunted tour again so I can let you know haha

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:25 AM

For those complaining about "scary" neighborhoods of SF, the undefeated champ: The Sunnydale Housing Projects

* I will say that based on those Google street view images, the projects are in MUCH better condition than when I would drive through back in the late 2000s

Last edited by mt_climber13; Oct 11, 2019 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:49 AM
heavy user of walkability

I think this is this

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:02 PM

Project seems to be proceeding apace. Concrete trucks there every day pouring concrete:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:24 AM

above ground now...

north side

south

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:23 AM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
10-12-2020 - went by this one on the way to get the flu vaccine today. Between Van Ness & Franklin on Eddy. This is the one that blocked the drive-thru to Burger King on Van Ness. The site was previously a parking garage.

Eddy between Van Ness and Franklin
Quoted from compilation thread

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 11:23 PM

This building seems monstrous in its context now that it's topped out:

Taken today by me

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 12:05 AM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:32 AM

this one looked still shrouded so I didn't go any closer than this

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:48 PM

I actually forgot about this one when I walked nearby, but here is a shot that shows that some of the shroud has come off

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 8:36 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
830 Eddy Street Topped Out In The Fillmore District, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON MAY 25, 2021

Construction has topped out, and facade installation nearly finished for the 13-story residential building at 830 Eddy Street in San Francisco’s Fillmore District. The building will soon add 137 new apartments, including affordable units, to the city’s housing market. BUILD is responsible for the development.

The 130-foot structure will yield roughly 140,000 square feet, with 91,740 square feet for residential use. Of the 137 units, twenty will be priced as affordable housing. Three townhouse units will be situated along Willow Street, providing more eyes to the side street in a fashion Jane Jacobs might be inclined to appreciate. The building includes a vehicle elevator, providing access to the 82-car garage. Parking is also included for 131 bicycles.

BAR Architects is responsible for the design, with the Miller Company leading landscape architecture across the project’s 9,390 square feet of open space, including at ground level and the rooftop terrace.

The property owners sold 830 Eddy for $7.5 million in November of 2018. New building and demolition permits were filed the next month, estimating construction will cost just shy of $40 million. Now, 830 Eddy is expected to open this year.

(The Townhouse units)

https://sfyimby.com/2021/05/830-eddy...francisco.html

I'm afraid those townhouse dwellers may not like what they see in that alley. It cycles hot and cold, but periodically the city allows these alleys to become major homeless encampments. Hopefully, complaints from residents will bring some city action as it did on the Larch.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive