HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
In Paris, we went to this Irish pub almost every night; across the street from our hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8598...7i16384!8i8192
All that good food in Paris and you went to an Irish pub almost every night?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:32 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It's because England's wealth has skyrocketed over the past 20 years, and Ireland has money for the first time, ever. In the 2000s in the U.S., the hipster movement involved the urban upper class dressing like the rural lower class and ironically patronizing low-class bars and events. In the 2010s, that was left behind for what seems like an unending disco revival as easy professional jobs, luxury items, and hi-end restaurants and bars became commonplace, even in third-rate cities.
Yep that happened here too, but 'real' and 'authentic' places can only keep flogging a dead horse for so many years until they too become a meme. Change is the only constant. But yeah I do remember in the early noughties all the best spots were horrible dingy establishments, with crappy lo-fi music, zero door policy or rules -and amazing clientele.

Ireland hasn't so much piggy-backed off Britain -if anything her historic neighbour has long been the colonial power sucking the meat off her bones, even after independence, whereby waves of all her youth and talent braindrained it to the UK for generations, not to mention the economic strangleholds and treaties. Rather her rise has a lot to do with EU membership which, being one of the most impoverished Western nations, flushed her with Euros (the adoption of the currency was a huge and painful correction for everyone) then later immigrants that boosted the economy.

Being English speaking (world's lingua franca) has also proved a very attractive European base for many global companies, even before Brexit, due to the fact Ireland -like all the wealthiest and most livable nations -is a huge tax haven. It now has the word's second highest HDI (by comparison UK is 13 and US 17), and is the world's richest country (non city state), either by PPP or nominal. It's average pay is $125K a year ($100K nominal), more than double the UK.

Last edited by muppet; Jul 20, 2022 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Not entirely sure why (grew up a "privileged" East Sider, I guess?) but Crow's Nest being across from a cemetery in Price Hill is way too on-brand for the West Side of Cincinnati.
Yeah, W. 8th dead-ends into that cemetery in one of the west side's many amazing road quirks (W. 8th is somehow the only numbered street that escapes the basin, itself a bizarre quirk). The fact that an old business district is clustered there, right at the cemetery, is a relic of the old streetcar line that came up from downtown via the incline. I imagine that people who lived beyond the edge of that streetcar line walked to that point (likely through the cemetery) to catch it.

We used to walk through the St. James cemetery daily when we were kids and the cemetery also divided two separate baseball complexes, each with three fields each, and so on Saturdays during the summer there was a steady stream of people walking through the cemetery simply to get back-and-forth since siblings might play at different fields on the same day. I remember umpiring multiple games on the same day and having to walk through the cemetery in my umpire equipment, which might have scared the dead people. Also, when I was 16, for some reason I decided to drive through the cemetery in the snow and got stuck. I successfully retreated with a 3-point turn but came within inches of knocking over a tombstone.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Jul 18, 2022 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:59 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
WOW. Bucket List
Lol yeah, the cost of living crisis is seeing a big return towards cheaper, more 'local' pubs these days such as those pictured. A pint nowabouts is nearly $8. The other day in my decidely average workplace pub, a sandwich meal and 3 drinks set me back over 50 bucks.

The chain pubs of Wetherspoons will be a mainstay of options due to their inordinately cheap pints and cheap clientele. -However, many people refuse to ever go into one due to its right wing billionaire owner, who made it his mission to get Britain into Brexit (he also plasters his windows with anti-vax and anti-lockdown conspiracy posters, plus links to the Daily Fail Mail whenever one gets shut down). His vast network of pubs in every town and district was a big source of misinformation and canvassing, that was likely a tipping point in getting the vote pushed through, especially when you bear in mind only 26% of the actual population needed to go for it to be passed. The brand ended up losing billions as people swore off it, and the name went downhill.

Be careful what you wish for - Wetherspoons atmosphere will be the carpet n screen variety, and very busy. Brexiteer pubs:

Also Sam Smiths pubs - which are VERY old school, with wooden floorboards etc. and sell their own brands of booze at much cheaper rates.

They will be the dying Edwardian look and quite emptied. Nothing will have changed since the 80s -I imagine much more up your street

Last edited by muppet; Jul 18, 2022 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
On a related note, I've got a couple of very good friends who were born in Ireland who detest Irish-American everything. They perceive the American version of Irish culture to be trapped in amber, self-consciously clinging to a time and mentality that has long since passed in Ireland itself.
I agree, as I have Irish citizenship because my mother was born there, but it was not as big of a deal in our house as it was for people who were 3rd or 4th generation who were always flying the flag from their front porch.

That said, there has been a huge change over the past 20 years, since the appearance of money in Ireland - literally for the first time - has changed everything. There is now petty greed and disrespect for the older generations. I think that a lot of young Irish people think the low-class history of the country is funny in the same way that a lot of Americans make fun of our working class and the poor.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:25 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There is now petty greed and disrespect for the older generations. I think that a lot of young Irish people think the low-class history of the country is funny in the same way that a lot of Americans make fun of our working class and the poor.
That describes neither my friends nor the younger members of their families back in Ireland.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:59 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
This was after we were done for the day. Just a drink or three before staggering across the street and up to our room.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
On a related note, I've got a couple of very good friends who were born in Ireland who detest Irish-American everything. They perceive the American version of Irish culture to be trapped in amber, self-consciously clinging to a time and mentality that has long since passed in Ireland itself.
It is peculiar, especially people who have no tangible connection to the place. The term plastic paddy is sometimes thrown around.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:09 PM

Pittsburgh is not the most Irish city in the country these days.

The early city was more or less founded by Scotch-Irish, which is now largely forgotten other than some local linguistic quirks that few know the roots of (like the terms redd up, nebby, and the second-person plural yinz, which came from you ones). The big migration of course came with the Great Famine, and unlike some areas like NYC and Boston, there really were no substantive later migrations, meaning ethnic cohesion was pretty much lost by the mid 20th century. Most of the remaining working-class Irish enclaves were disproportionately affected by white flight, so even though there are still identifiable "Italian" and "Polish" neighborhoods in the city, there are none with notable Irish heritage any longer.

That said, a few years back, I was invited to a private Irish club here - It was an interesting experience, considering it's a faceless frame building on the outside, but has a fully-stocked Irish bar inside the first floor. I'm 1/4th Irish by ancestry, so I guess technically I could qualify but...why bother?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
and is the world's richest country (non city state), either by PPP or nominal. It's average pay is $125K a year ($100K nominal), more than double the UK.
These numbers are way, way off. Median household income in Ireland is like 45-50k and median salary is like 35k. Ireland is now prosperous but it's hardly "rich".

And I seriously doubt apples-apples Irish salaries are that different from UK salaries. Certainly not compared to London.

Ireland appears "rich" due to GDP per capita calculations due to its status as English-language HQ and tax shelter, but the incomes and living standards aren't unusually high. An extreme example would be Luxembourg, which has absurdly high GDP per capita but isn't really more prosperous than adjacent areas of Germany and France.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This is what passes for an Irish-themed place in my city of 285,000 in Quebec.

https://www.cafemulligan.com/

Though there is also this place very close by that is supposedly a "British-style" pub:

http://thebritish.ca/fr/home-2/

That's just about the only stuff we've got.

Across the river in Ottawa in Ontario, there is a chain of Irish-style pubs with 10 locations.

Here is the main one in the Byward Market historic district:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWZrHcNfg6Q

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
In Paris, we went to this Irish pub almost every night; across the street from our hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8598...7i16384!8i8192
I think I went here when I was in Paris years ago. I forgot all about that place until seeing this lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Irish pubs are kind of reliable lol. My favorite bar in Amsterdam is an Irish pub.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:27 PM

Top choice in Philly of course is McGillians, the oldest pub in the city. Then there are tons in the neighborhoods. Outside of that, I believe most are not true Irish pubs but Irish Pub Concepts. I'm not even sure you get order a Guinness on tap outside of these fake concepts?

EDIT: Old article but is interesting nonetheless

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think I went here when I was in Paris years ago. I forgot all about that place until seeing this lol.
This post reminded me of another "Irish" bar in Cincinnati called O'Bryon's:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1320...7i16384!8i8192

This place is basically a straight-ahead sports bar that named itself after the neighborhood it's in (O'Bryonville), but aside from the shamrock on its green awning, there is nothing Irish about it.

Here is another example of a 1990s-era "Irish" bar, although not a plug-and-play "Irish Concept" one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0874...7i13312!8i6656

I seem to recall that in the heyday of the 1990s "Irish" bar trend they'd get a guy from Ireland to come over to tend bar and so make the place "authentic". It reminded me of when they hire someone from Japan to make sushi in Kroger.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:11 PM
你的媽媽

Not sure how many total but there's a decent amount in SF:

The Buena Vista - I'm guessing this one might be the most popular?
https://goo.gl/maps/k5udUdgQgMrjhkaA6

Johnny Foley's Irish House - probably 2nd most popular
https://goo.gl/maps/dKLp1xHuiXvFcUGCA

The Chieftain Irish Pub & Restaurant
https://goo.gl/maps/oKH3AncwAkAoB9dPA

The Irish Bank
https://goo.gl/maps/AAGKrg4345oXfdeU9

Irish Times
https://goo.gl/maps/uS5AEs5kBra2TeCY6

The Napper Tandy
https://goo.gl/maps/zt1UZbkoLQQB7b7J6

The Abbey Tavern
https://goo.gl/maps/LhQn9YB4cF1mLfyQ9

Ireland's 32
https://goo.gl/maps/ewTG9anPNoSB8W8EA

The Bitter End
https://goo.gl/maps/1df8avr4d3mKPDGb7

The Plough and the Stars
https://goo.gl/maps/NXnzQdZxpRRFh86c7

The Blarney Stone Bar
https://goo.gl/maps/jj2KkRXXhiERY9Ky6

The Dubliner
https://goo.gl/maps/aMnnL2kw86UZ4ych6

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh is not the most Irish city in the country these days.

The early city was more or less founded by Scotch-Irish, which is now largely forgotten other than some local linguistic quirks that few know the roots of (like the terms redd up, nebby, and the second-person plural yinz, which came from you ones). The big migration of course came with the Great Famine, and unlike some areas like NYC and Boston, there really were no substantive later migrations, meaning ethnic cohesion was pretty much lost by the mid 20th century. Most of the remaining working-class Irish enclaves were disproportionately affected by white flight, so even though there are still identifiable "Italian" and "Polish" neighborhoods in the city, there are none with notable Irish heritage any longer.

That said, a few years back, I was invited to a private Irish club here - It was an interesting experience, considering it's a faceless frame building on the outside, but has a fully-stocked Irish bar inside the first floor. I'm 1/4th Irish by ancestry, so I guess technically I could qualify but...why bother?
I think the greater region centered around Pittsburgh has the highest percentage of Irish Protestant ancestry (Presbyterian, primarily). Additionally, large numbers of Irish Catholics came to SW PA much earlier, in the 1810s to 1850s.

I don't know of any city/region in the US which has more Irish/Scoth-Irish names of places than SW PA.

Also, it's not yinz... but rather youns or yunz. Yinz is the modern-day, kitschy spelling for t-shirts and bumper stickers.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:48 PM

Don't know how many Irish pubs LA/LA area has, but two notable ones that pop into my mind are Tom Bergin's and Molly Malone's, incidentally both are on Fairfax Avenue.

Tom Bergin's dates from the 1930s. I've only been there twice in my 20s, and it was to have Irish Coffee---because it claims to be the place that introduced Irish Coffee to the US, though a place in San Francisco also makes that claim... kinda like LA and SF both claim to have invented the Fortune Cookie and California rolls.

Molly Malone's is notable for being owned by the same Irish family for over 50 years or something. I've never been to that one. It's also notable for being a live music venue, with some pretty well-known performers having performed there. Being that it's LA, I wouldn't doubt it has a wall of fame with people's 8x10 glossies. Hell, a car wash I used to go to has a wall of fame. It's like "oooh, I had my car washed at the same place Judge Ito got his car washed."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:11 PM
video et taceo

I really like the look of those grim, unfashionable Irish pubs in London where you just go underground for ten years and develop cirrhosis in an ashtray.

Not so keen on this, where it looks like you'd end up playing Battleship with some guy from a startup called Plurp.ly.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I really like the look of those grim, unfashionable Irish pubs in London where you just go underground for ten years and develop cirrhosis in an ashtray.

Not so keen on this, where it looks like you'd end up playing Battleship with some guy from a startup called Plurp.ly.

Yeah I don't think anyone's ever lost any teeth in that place.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:55 PM

most Irish bars in Chicago don't say TGI McScratchy's on the door

it's a neighborhood bar, owned by an Irish family

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions