HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:37 PM

How cool would it be if, instead of taking up space on the ground floor of this proposed tower, Whole Foods decides to place its new store inside the former Health Center? It would definitely compete for the title of most unique store.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:38 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
How cool would it be if, instead of taking up space on the ground floor of this proposed tower, Whole Foods decides to place its new store inside the former Health Center? It would definitely compete for the title of most unique store.
Trader Joe's would rock that look, but it would be cool if whole foods went in there. It would bre pretty unique for them.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 8:59 PM

The original plans called for a tower at broad and south as well. I don’t see anything about that building. I wonder if they have future plans there.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Love it. Another tower for South broad.

Symphony House is such a piece of shit (that's why it's Pepto-pink.).
This new building will only accentuate that.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
A few more renderings:

I'm not looking at a gift horse in the the mouth but it's rather wide, the profile from Broad won't be the appearance that it generally shows....and it looks very similar to Art Haus but less graceful.
I am so glad they are going with a tall building instead of the two shorter ones (as I mentioned on the first page of this thread.)
Does this mean SOM is out of this project, or are they designing Phase 2?

Last edited by thoughtcriminal; Jun 14, 2022 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is the 500 footer I alluded to
on Page 1 of this thread, you said that you thought that the 2 shorter tower approach worked better than a single tall tower. what do you think now?
Quote:
Disagree. Not for this site. I think this is the perfect project for this site. It's a massive site, so having two towers here works well. Plus, we're at the southern tip of the Philadelphia skyline here. I think a taller tower would look ridiculously out of place honestly and would throw the skyline off balance.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
on Page 1 of this thread, you said that you thought that the 2 shorter tower approach worked better than a single tall tower. what do you think now?
Bahaha. I was trying to throw the scent off of my knowledge.

I did actually really like the old design. Still, obviously, am very happy with the new design and the height (I’m always happy with taller). Although, I do think this will look overbearing and out of place from certain angles on the skyline. We’ll see though!

Lastly, they haven’t combined the project into one tower and abandoned the rest. There will also be a phase 2 to this which will include a building in the 200-300 foot range in the future.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 11:17 PM

Looks like equipment is on site? This might actually get built. I don’t remember seeing this stuff here last week.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 12:58 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
yep, that's a geotechnical drilling rig for soil testing to provide data for a deep foundation study.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Jun 15, 2022 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:53 AM

This is an incredible looking development. I also have to admit that while I was skeptical of the old health center receiving historic designation, I absolutely love it as part of this development. This is just an absolute stunner from just about every angle, but I don't think anything tops this view focusing on how it interacts with broad street. The health center and the tower look great together.

Between this and the development at 23rd and market, Philadelphia is really on a roll from an aesthetic standpoint. Two of the best looking proposals I've seen in decades of following this stuff in Philly.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post

This is an incredible looking development. I also have to admit that while I was skeptical of the old health center receiving historic designation, I absolutely love it as part of this development. This is just an absolute stunner from just about every angle, but I don't think anything tops this view focusing on how it interacts with broad street. The health center and the tower look great together.

Between this and the development at 23rd and market, Philadelphia is really on a roll from an aesthetic standpoint. Two of the best looking proposals I've seen in decades of following this stuff in Philly.
The cantilevered "appendage" looks a little awkward to me and could be improved with some small tweaks, but that's just personal taste. The only real complaint I have is that there seems to be a lot of dead space at street level along Lombard. Lombard is not an alley. They need to open this up.

I also liked the roof deck on the Health Center in Virgin's "proposal." Maybe Virgin will build a hotel on the south end of the block...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:16 PM

I think the tower looks incredible. Plus I'm a sucker for rounded corners, which we don't have enough of here! I am looking forward to seeing more renderings!

I have the same outlook on the Health Center as with the Virgin proposal: looks "okay" but will ultimately be determined by how much lipstick they can put on that pig and how well it is integrated within the overall project. Frankly, I still think that building's "historical" designation is an absolute joke, especially in a city like ours that abounds with real, actual historic buildings.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I think the tower looks incredible. Plus I'm a sucker for rounded corners, which we don't have enough of here! I am looking forward to seeing more renderings!

I have the same outlook on the Health Center as with the Virgin proposal: looks "okay" but will ultimately be determined by how much lipstick they can put on that pig and how well it is integrated within the overall project. Frankly, I still think that building's "historical" designation is an absolute joke, especially in a city like ours that abounds with real, actual historic buildings.
Yeah. I'm so into the rounded glass corners that have popped up on this, the proposal for Cathedral II, and the misc CHOP buildings that seem to have incorporated it.

It feels fresh. A relevant update on an 80s aesthetic and a move away from the rigid boxes, slotted window proposals we've seen consistently for the past 10 years.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:28 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
You’re welcome! Yes, it was I who updated TK while simultaneously updating the related post in my fb group (gratuitous plug): https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...3524600269504/

I always keep a close eye on the Philadelphia Historical Commission meetings page. They post submissions of matters to be considered by their Architectural Committee regularly under the heading “Building permit applications under review”: https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/

I was thrilled to see the submission there first thing yesterday morning, utterly delighted with how well it complements the historic Health Center #1.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:56 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Maybe Virgin hotel picked another location?? We know they’re coming to Philly.

This is also only “Phase 1” of the development. There will be a second phase.
Keep in mind too that only the District Health Center #1 building and its associated parking lot are historically designated, so only that part — 500-10 S Broad St — of the overall site controlled by the development team is subject to review by the Historical Commission. The building at the NW corner of Broad & South and the 15th St lot are NOT subject to PHC review, so we won’t see a future submission at the PHC for that phase of the development. Design work for that portion could quite possibly already be well underway, as I recall seeing exploratory drilling at the 15th St parking lot a year or two ago. We’ll need to watch CDR and zoning filings for further news.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:18 PM

So does has this project received permits or variances? It will need to go through cdr correct? Can someone explain why the drill is on site already?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 10:36 PM

More equipment on site today. Not sure what this new machine is.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 12:42 AM

[Deleted]

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 12:45 AM

Update: No Virgin Hotel, But Something Huge is Planned for Broad & Lombard

Current site:

Aerial of site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
It was just this past March when we speculated that something big was coming our way from Goldenberg Group at 500 S. Broad St., as we shared renderings for a two-tower project which would be anchored by a Virgin Hotel. This came several years after an initial concept for the site was proposed, which included a glassy tower to the northern side of the lot. While we were thrilled to hear new details, we weren’t exactly sure if this was still conceptual or a little bit more. Now, thanks to a submission to the Historical Commission, we have additional clarity about plans for the property.

While you may be sad to know that the concept has changed, this news is far from upsetting. We don’t see any signs of a hotel in the works, but what we do see is a 43-story, 542-foot tall tower coming our way from SITIO architecture + urbanism with the rehab to the Health Center handled by Voith & Mactavish Architects. This modern, curved high-rise will sit directly next to the historically protected building in the middle of the lot, with a small connector between the structures creating a pedestrian plaza. 468 units would fill the apartment building, and we assume there will be amenities aplenty here.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-broad-lombard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals