HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1021  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:41 AM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I don't disagree that the gig services are difficult for restaurants to contend with. But at the same time, they opened knowing all of this before hand so it's a bit odd.
Ya, true. Other places managed to stay open after the initial onslaught.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1022  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:39 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 300
Some places are more efficient at controlling costs than others.

Restaurants can afford meal delivery services, if they have sufficient margins. If they don't... they can't. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1023  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:56 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Some places are more efficient at controlling costs than others.

Restaurants can afford meal delivery services, if they have sufficient margins. If they don't... they can't. It's that simple.
No, it isn’t that simple. We cannot let our communities be reduced to a brutal competition to the bottom where only the strongest survive. That’s how we end up with McDonalds and Boston Pizza becoming the only restaurants that are able to survive in the end. Who the hell wants that?

You might be surprised to learn how many restaurants are against these apps, especially the ones that are forced to used them. What these apps are doing is capturing a market with their massive amount of venture capital allowing them to operate at below cost, destroying most competition, and forcing everyone on to their not-at-all-innovative platform, which they can then charge obscene rents to use. Funny how cheap things seem to the end-user when you don’t have to actually have a responsibility to pay your workers a livable wage with benefits (these apps only exist by their ability to exploit labour - Foodora shut down in Canada when their workers in Toronto voted to unionize, while one of Uber’s explicitly stated risks to their business model is their obligations to treat their “contractors” as workers). The problem is, the chickens will eventually come home to roost, despite everyone who loves these apps thinking there’s no way they will be brought down in this race too.

Going forward, I will choose to support restaurants who are still managing to avoid being sucked into the black hole that the gig economy is creating, which just so happens to be some of the best restaurants out there (the Cure and Caraway Grill come to mind).

Edit: turns out The Cure is using Uber Eats, out of necessity, but you can still bypass the app and order directly from the kitchen. Sometimes doing the right thing means doing things a little less conveniently..

Last edited by djforsberg; Feb 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1024  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:57 PM
someguy someguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 181
Gudeats is a food court style fast food restaurant in a hole in the wall location on a side street. Even the most popular of restaurants would fail in a similar location, nevermind one that caters to a small population of people.

They may have had a fighting chance in a food court, would probably do really well at the university. To open a niche restaurant in the middle of a pandemic is pretty much impossible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1025  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:09 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Gudeats is a food court style fast food restaurant in a hole in the wall location on a side street. Even the most popular of restaurants would fail in a similar location, nevermind one that caters to a small population of people.

They may have had a fighting chance in a food court, would probably do really well at the university. To open a niche restaurant in the middle of a pandemic is pretty much impossible.
Ya, it was a difficult time for that particular restaurant to open but everything I said above is valid now and before the pandemic began. This isn’t just from what I have been researching online but from talking to operators of local restaurants as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1026  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 8:27 PM
yveseluj's Avatar
yveseluj yveseluj is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Gud Eats is closing as of Feb 28, 2021, citing COVID and the app-delivery services taking a chunk of revenues now that downtown workers are working at home.

https://www.facebook.com/gudeats.ca/
I'm sad and my day is ruined. Their food was fantastic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1027  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 8:46 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
I'm sad and my day is ruined. Their food was fantastic.
I'm gonna make sure to get another one of their Chickn' Sammies before they shut'er down. They are so tasty.

It is too bad there wasn't a way to ensure all businesses could survive during this crisis. It's almost like we need an institution of some sort that could take a portion of funds from those who are making an absolute killing (mostly due to their size and not because of some kind of ingenuity) to help some of these smaller players. And I'm not just talking about Gud Eats which opened during the pandemic, but many places that have had to close even temporarily (thinking of Gilmores in particular, or even the Owl - God I miss trivia nights). The fact the biggest companies are going to come out of this pandemic even bigger is NOT a good thing. If only there was some democratic way of getting ahead of the coming mess...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1028  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 10:38 PM
LittleBoy's Avatar
LittleBoy LittleBoy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Regina
Posts: 182
Let’s not kid ourselves, Leo’s group had more than enough money to keep Gud Eats afloat until the end of the pandemic. I think it is more than reasonable to assume that business would pick up for them once downtown foot traffic increases. However, I’m sure Leo’s group has gotten more than comfortable with the tidy profits from their bars that even a peak Gud Eats wouldn’t be able to keep up with their expectations. Good thing Leo’s loves to market themselves as the patron saint of local businesses, all the while allowing one of their local businesses to die a sad death before it really even had a chance to succeed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1029  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 11:00 PM
LittleBoy's Avatar
LittleBoy LittleBoy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Regina
Posts: 182
In other news, looks like Cathedral Social Hall is renting out their kitchen to Peaks Pizza. Not sure if this means that Social Hall will no longer offer any of their own in-house food or not. Could be a neat setup similar to a Pile of Bones/Malinche and it’s not like Social Hall was offering good food in the first place
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1030  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 12:38 AM
aberrant aberrant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
In other news, looks like Cathedral Social Hall is renting out their kitchen to Peaks Pizza. Not sure if this means that Social Hall will no longer offer any of their own in-house food or not. Could be a neat setup similar to a Pile of Bones/Malinche and it’s not like Social Hall was offering good food in the first place
Nah, it's just a brand they created for takeout/delivery. Lots of restaurants have been doing this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1031  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 9:45 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Let’s not kid ourselves, Leo’s group had more than enough money to keep Gud Eats afloat until the end of the pandemic. I think it is more than reasonable to assume that business would pick up for them once downtown foot traffic increases. However, I’m sure Leo’s group has gotten more than comfortable with the tidy profits from their bars that even a peak Gud Eats wouldn’t be able to keep up with their expectations. Good thing Leo’s loves to market themselves as the patron saint of local businesses, all the while allowing one of their local businesses to die a sad death before it really even had a chance to succeed.
I thought Gud Eats was owned by a guy who also has a restaurant in Saskatoon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1032  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 11:01 PM
LittleBoy's Avatar
LittleBoy LittleBoy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Regina
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I thought Gud Eats was owned by a guy who also has a restaurant in Saskatoon?
https://leaderpost.com/business/loca...-by-leos-group
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1033  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 2:43 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is online now
Values, not labels
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Aah. It’s interesting Leo’s wasn’t mentioned in the article I read about Gud Eats shutting down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1034  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 3:48 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,997
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1035  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:21 PM
McBean's Avatar
McBean McBean is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Regina
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Aah. It’s interesting Leo’s wasn’t mentioned in the article I read about Gud Eats shutting down.
Leo's group (Leopolds) is massively profitable. If they didn't think GUD had a chance in Regina, then they likely pulled the plug directly or indirectly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1036  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:28 PM
yveseluj's Avatar
yveseluj yveseluj is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 310
Went to Gud Eats last night to pick up some food and they were absolutely swamped. I'm going to miss it so much.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1037  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:00 PM
McBean's Avatar
McBean McBean is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Regina
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Went to Gud Eats last night to pick up some food and they were absolutely swamped. I'm going to miss it so much.
Any updates of new Regina restaurant closures? I know GUD blamed it on covid, lack of people working downtown. Also on delivery app services taking huge cuts out of their margins.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1038  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:54 PM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
Any updates of new Regina restaurant closures? I know GUD blamed it on covid, lack of people working downtown. Also on delivery app services taking huge cuts out of their margins.
Not sure what is happening with Umi Sushi Express at Cornwall Centre. Have they closed for good? Are they closed for renovations? There is no information on the green-painted boards covering the front. It has never seemed to have any busy moments, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it gone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1039  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:06 PM
Kegger Kegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Not sure what is happening with Umi Sushi Express at Cornwall Centre. Have they closed for good? Are they closed for renovations? There is no information on the green-painted boards covering the front. It has never seemed to have any busy moments, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it gone.
Rent is very high at the Cornwall Food Court, so your revenue needs to be high to stay afloat. I would not be surprised if owners there might decide it isn't worth it anymore.

As for being busy, that is tricky, I went there occasionally. Unlike the other restaurants most people just grab something off the shelf and pay, no waiting for your order to be made etc. So any line up is going to be a lot smaller than, an A&W or Thai Express.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1040  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:42 PM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 925
Umi Sushi will be re-opening in the Cornwall Centre, as it is currently closed for renovation. Good to know that they haven't closed permanently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.