HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 17, 2005, 8:08 PM
Cityslicker

BREAKING NEWS:In this pic from SSC by TheBaseTower, the Matacal Tower (right) has been completed while the Dist Govt Ctr (left) is topped out and will be nearing completion soon.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2005, 2:32 AM
Cityslicker

Updated shots of the Bank Discount Tower, Neve Tzedek Tower, and Tzamaret Tower 3.

Bank Discount Tower from SSC by TeLaVivi

Neve Tzedek Tower from SSC by TeLaVivi

Tzamaret Tower 3 from SSP by beivushtang

BONUS:Pano of Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan by beivushtang

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 7:46 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

This city is amazing to me... The city is beautiful and dense and booming! I like most all of the new projects and the architecture is just wonderful... I find myself fascinated by this place (and the rest of Israel too) but I am a bit bewildered too. What are the major industries in Tel Aviv? Is there a certain sector of the economy that is booming? Or is the whole economy just doing well? TalB, I would love to hear about Tel Aviv and the rest of Israel; any info about the latest trends in the country. Is their alot of immigrants moving to the country? Is the whole country growing? Info about the country such as quality of life; housing costs; that type of thing.... Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2005, 9:47 PM
Cityslicker

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/
Tel Aviv Regional Planning Board approves 30-storey high-rise

The building, on the site of the old United Kibbutz Movement building on Soutine St., will have 80 apartments.

Ron Paz 23 Feb 05 17:36

The Tel Aviv Regional Planning and Building Board has approved for deposit plan TA/3509 for the construction of a residential high-rise and public garden on the site of the old United Kibbutz Movement building. The site is on the corner of Soutine St. and Fishman-Maimon St. in north Tel Aviv, east of Ibn Gvirol St., and near Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center (Ichilov Hospital). The large public Soutine-Nahardea garden is located east of the site.
This is a dense residential area of four and five-storey apartment buildings, as well as old and new high-rises, such as the Nahardea-Beeri project, David Towers, City Tower, and residential towers on Arlozorov St.

The planning process for the new building was unusual, and included participation of the public and local residents. The residents were shown eight alternative plans. They chose the plan for a tall, thin high-rise with an adjacent public garden to the west. The high-rise will be located between two public gardens, thereby providing maximum exposure to open space for existing buildings.

The 30-storey high-rise will have 80 apartments, 7,500 sq.m. of main space and a one-dunam (0.25-acre) public garden. The plan will include developing the garden, and widening sidewalks with plants and public parking. Developer Neve Schuster Ltd., managed by CEO Dalia Schuster, initiated the project, which was designed by the Giora Rothman-Moshe Raz architectural firm.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on February 23, 2005

Old Posted Feb 24, 2005, 7:30 PM
Cityslicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride
This city is amazing to me... The city is beautiful and dense and booming! I like most all of the new projects and the architecture is just wonderful... I find myself fascinated by this place (and the rest of Israel too) but I am a bit bewildered too. What are the major industries in Tel Aviv? Is there a certain sector of the economy that is booming? Or is the whole economy just doing well? TalB, I would love to hear about Tel Aviv and the rest of Israel; any info about the latest trends in the country. Is their alot of immigrants moving to the country? Is the whole country growing? Info about the country such as quality of life; housing costs; that type of thing.... Thanks!
Much of Tel Aviv's new projects are in certain areas like the Kirya and Rothschild Blvd, while the rest are pretty much on the Eastside. Its major industries are metal, defense, machinery, technology, tourism, and education. I would guess that the sector of the economy is industry and business. It is no lie that Israel is getting a lot of immigrants since it's a democracy, and Tel Aviv is a pretty diverse city, though Haifa and Jerusalem have a higher diversity. I insist that you go here to know more about its economy or read the english version of Globes since it's the Wall St version of the Israeli economy b/c this thread is more about projects going on in Tel Aviv, so anything else will be irrelevant.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2005, 7:27 PM
Cityslicker

Here's an update on the Ampa Houses along with some more pics of some of the recently completed buildings.

Amapa Houses

Matacal Tower

City Heart Tower

Tichon Tower

Kanarit Tower

Weizmann Towers

Last edited by TalB; Apr 10, 2005 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2005, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride
There was a huge influx of almost 1 million Soviet Jews in the 1990s after the collapse of the USSR. TalB listed the major industries, but also dont forget the high tech industry...Intel, Motorola, and Microsoft all have large offices and labs in Israel. EDIT: also, check out
http://www.mapquest.com/atlas/main.adp?region=israel
for a quick rundown. You can see by the literacy, life expectancy, and per capita product figures that its fairly similar (especially after purchasing power adjustments) in quality of life to most Western European countries

Talb,
I was just in Tel Aviv a few months ago and didn't see so much construction, i had no idea! Its great, but its also disappointing to see so many of the cooler projects on hold. I heard the Ampa tower was on hold because of an excess of office space around Tel Aviv, which sounds similar to the situation here in Chicago....not too many office buildings going up, and nothing above around 40 stories (which is pittence for us here). All the big cool projects are residential. could Tel Aviv be similar? We can hope that with the American economy speeding up again that the Israeli economy improves as well in order to help push along construction.

Also, do you have any info/news on the light rail system being built in Tel Aviv? I saw some of it under construction down around Yafo. When might it be completed? Tel Aviv (especially) and also some parts of Jerusalem need rail systems very badly

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Mar 3, 2005 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2005, 7:24 PM
Cityslicker

That pretty much won't be mentioned, but I insist that you look at the Israel subfourm on the economy thread for it, and here is an update on the Dist Govt Ctr from SSC by JIM CAREY.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2005, 7:16 PM
Cityslicker

Independent merchants in Tel Aviv wholesale market demanding higher compensation

Claiming that they have been excluded from the final settlement for the site, they are demanding $1.5 million per commercial unit in compensation.

Guy Yamin 6 Mar 05 12:17

25 independent produce wholesalers in the Tel Aviv wholesale produce market, who are unaffiliated with Wholesale Market Co. for Agricultural Products in Tel Aviv Ltd., are opposing the plan for the wholesale market site, in which Tnuva is the dominant factor. The Tel Aviv wholesale market is located between in the triangle between Petah Tikva St., Carlebach St. and Hasmona'im St.
The independent wholesalers claim that Tnuva no longer handles agricultural produce so therefore no longer considers the Tel Aviv wholesale market as source of income, as they do, but as prime real estate. They claim that Tnuva is trying to prematurely force them to vacate the market, while harming their rights. The independent wholesalers added that Wholesale Market Co. had reached an agreement, under which each member would receive three apartments in the project planned for the site, in exchange for shares in the company, but that they had been excluded from the final arrangement.

The Tel Aviv Local Planning and Building Commission recently rezoned the 55-dunam (13.75-acre) site of the wholesale market for a multi-purpose office, commercial and residential project. Most of the buildings will be ten stories, and four will have 40 stories. The project will have 220,000 sq.m. of space, including 100,000 sq.m. of office and commercial space, and 1,125 apartments covering 120,000 sq.m., as well as an underground parking garage for 3,500 vehicles.

Under the vacating agreement, each member in Wholesale Market Co. will receive up to three apartments in the new project as compensation. The independent wholesalers in the market are disputing the amount of compensation. On the basis of tax assessments, they are demanding $1.5 million per commercial unit in compensation. They are considering suing Wholesale Market Co. and the Tel Aviv municipality in order to participate in the final settlement, which has been reached.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on March 6, 2005

Old Posted Mar 6, 2005, 7:18 PM
Cityslicker

National Planning Board rejects appeal against south Kirya project

"The interest of preservation is not the sole planning consideration, but should be balanced against other important and critical interests."

Ron Paz 6 Mar 05 14:18

After several hearings, the National Planning and Building Board last week unanimously rejected objections by the Society for the Preservation of Historical Sites against the southern Kirya project in Tel Aviv. The Society for the Preservation of Historical Sites is worried about the further demolition or possible demolition of historic 130-year old buildings in the Templars' colony in the Sharona neighborhood. The society strongly opposes the widening of Kaplan St. to four lanes in each direction, which requires the moving of five structures slated for preservation on the south side of the street (which entails the risk of damage), and the demolition of other houses.
The National Planning Board wrote in its decision, "The southern Kirya site is a large area suitable for planning purposes related to the development as a business center, offices, residences, hotels, and entertainment, as well as the development of public spaces for one of the city's largest centers.

"The interest of preservation is not the sole planning consideration, but should be balanced against other important and critical interests."

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on March 6, 2005

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 6:15 PM
Cityslicker

Tel Aviv Regional Planning Board approves south Glilot plan

The South Glilot Urban Quarter plan calls for 3,000 housing units, commercial space and a large city park.

Ron Paz 8 Mar 05 13:18

The Tel Aviv Regional Planning and Building Board yesterday approved the South Glilot Urban Quarter plan. The plan calls for a residential neighborhood between Namir Rd. on the west, the Ayalon highway on the east, Road No. 5 on the north, and the Ramat Aviv Gimmel neighborhood on the south.
The land is one of the most important areas available for development in the Tel Aviv district, under the Tel Aviv Regional Outline Plan.

Under the South Glilot Urban Quarter plan, the fuel and gas storage tanks in the old Glilot fuel farm will be removed, and the site developed for residential, commercial, and public use. For years, the fuel and gas tanks were a real hazard to the area's residents. The fuel farm was closed two years ago, making urban development plan possible. The plan calls for 3,000 housing units. 60% of the area is zoned for public use, including a city park.

As an outline plan, approval of the South Glilot Urban Quarter clears the way for the removal of the fuel and gas storage tanks, and decontaminating the site as necessary in accordance with future tests. A detailed plan for the site will then be prepared to determine specific land use. The city park will be the northern arm of the Yarkon Park.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on March 8, 2005

Old Posted Mar 22, 2005, 6:18 PM
Cityslicker

Koor won't sell Sheraton Israel

Sheraton Israel plans to invest $20 million in renovations and hold an IPO on the TASE.

David Hayoun 22 Mar 05 18:08

Sheraton Israel chairman Ron Feinstein announced today that the hotel chain planned to invest $20 million in renovations and upgrades of existing hotels, and that it would also try to buy new hotels to manage. Sheraton Israel is owned by Koor Industries (NYSE: KOR; TASE: KOR) (55%), Bank Hapoalim (LSE: BKHD; TASE: POLI) (25%), and Sheraton Hotels and Resorts (20%).
Sheraton Israel's owners also announced that they had decided not to sell the controlling interest in the company, and had therefore called off negotiations to sell it to Yitzhak Tshuva. The negotiations had lasted for a year.

Koor CEO Jonathan Kolber said the change in the political situation, the significant improvement in Koor's results, and the change for the better in the tourism industry had led Koor's management to decide that it was worthwhile holding onto Koor's stake in Sheraton Israel. Kolber added that Koor had called off proceedings for selling its stake in the chain.

Sheraton Israel CEO Eli Gonen said that in view of the improvement in tourism in 2004 and in the company's business performance, and the prevalent optimism about the future of tourism, the company's shareholders had decided on a four-year action plan. He said the decisions very important for the way Sheraton Israel would conduct business.

Sheraton Israel's heads said the company saw significant improvement in all items in 2004. Room occupancy rose by 18%, prices rose by 10%, revenue rose by 24% to $79 million, and operating profit rose by 98% to $8 million. Sheraton Israel predicts an operating profit of $17 million for 2005. They also said that the company planned to hold an IPO on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE) within a year.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on March 22, 2005

Old Posted Mar 25, 2005, 4:14 PM
Cityslicker

The 40 story building that is being built near Tzamaret Pk now has a rendering as well as an article, though it's in Hebrew.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2005, 4:17 PM
Cityslicker

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/551570.html
High hopes for Hiriya

By Esther Zandberg

Cooperation between the Bracha Foundation, which initiates and supports social and environmental projects, and the Tel Aviv Museum of Art has yielded another exhibition - the second in the past five years - that deals with the Hiriya landfill. The exhibition, which opens on Thursday, is an advanced stage on the road toward rehabilitating the mountain of garbage as part of the Ayalon Park, and turning it into a "green" recreation area - from an ecological and landscape point of view. The director of the foundation, Martin Weyl, has been working on forwarding this initiative for more than five years, and he is the curator of the exhibition, along with Irit Hadar from the museum.

The exhibition will present proposals that were submitted to the Hiriya Park planning competition initiated by the foundation, with the focus on the plan submitted by German landscape architect Peter Latz, which took first place. Latz and his team have already begun their practical work on planning the park, in coordination with the Dan Region Sanitation Union, and in cooperation with the District Planning and Building Committee in Tel Aviv that is promoting the planning of the entire Ayalon Park.

Cooperation between the museum and foundation vis-a-vis Hiriya began with an exhibition that was held at the museum's Helena Rubinstein Pavilion in 1999 and presented conceptual proposals by Israeli and international artists and architects for the rehabilitation of the site. As reported at the time, the Bracha Foundation invested a small fortune in the exhibition.

The event came across at the time as just another spoiled, self-obsessed affair emerging from the Tel Aviv art world, romanticizing the garbage rather than the more serious effort to advance the nascent zoning plan for the Ayalon Park and a campaign against the construction plans that were being made for it.

In retrospect, however, the conceptual art project served as a real catalyst for advancing the outline of the plan for the Ayalon Park. It, together with the professional meetings that came in its wake at the initiative of the foundation, certainly contributed significantly to placing the issue on the public agenda and kick-starting the process that eventually led to its initial approval in November last year.

No less importantly, the exhibition significantly helped to change the image of Hiriya in the public consciousness - from being a symbol of an area of ecological disaster into a place associated with terms such as "open public expanse," "park" and even "beauty."

The exhibition brought to the fore the inherent potential in rehabilitating "brown fields" such as waste dumps, abandoned industrial areas, contaminated land and crime-infested urban areas, and turning them into active public expanses.

In the post-industrial age and in a world in which open areas are continually disappearing, this today is a central issue in the field of urban and environmental planning, and a subject that has recently moved from being behind the scenes in the area of infrastructure to center stage of the cultural world.

Currently, for example, the New York Museum of Modern Art is holding a first-of-its-kind exhibition of projects in the field of urban planning that are based primarily on "fixing" brown areas around the world. Among the projects that have won special attention is the urban park planned by Latz on the site of an abandoned metalworks plant near the city of Duisberg, in Germany's Ruhr region. The park won Latz international renown, and one can hope that his work at Hiriya will achieve equal success.

The main principle in the planning of the park in the Ruhr region, and other similar projects, is the preservation of traces of the past, in recognition of their importance in the process of rectifying and understanding the history of the place. Hiriya also has a past of its own, and traces of it will indeed be preserved. First and foremost, the silhouette of the garbage mountain in the planning directives is defined (in an exaggeration that borders on the ridiculous) as a "national symbol." It is regrettable to discover, nevertheless, that other traces - of the Arab village of Al-Hiriya that existed at the site until 1948 and on whose land the mountain was erected - have been erased from the new planning.

On the festive occasion of the exhibition of the plans for the Hiriya Park, and in light of the approval of plans for the Ayalon Park (an approval that doesn't absolutely guarantee its future against the threat of construction), it is worthwhile mentioning that ever since the site ceased to serve as a dump some seven years ago, the garbage did not begin to evaporate but is being buried in the Negev - the country's backyard that does not have foundations and art museums to look after its fate.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2005, 6:31 PM
Cityslicker

More news on the Manhattan Tower
BSR Projects-led group buys Lev Hapark lot for $29m

The "Manhattan" real estate project is a 40-storey high-rise with 177 apartments in north Tel Aviv.

Guy Yamin 27 Mar 05 11:15

A group of 177 buyers organized by BSR Projects (TASE: BSRP) last Thursday bought a lot in north Tel Aviv's Lev Hapark "Manhattan" project for $29 million. Each member of the group will pay $160,000, the price per land per apartment in the prohject. The lot is adjacent to the Habas HZ Investments' (TASE: HABS) YOO project. One 40-storey high-rise with 177 apartments will be built on the 5.4-dunam (1.35-acre lot). Mercantile Discount Bank's mortgage division is providing financial coverage for the Manhattan real estate project.

The lot for the Manhattan real estate project was sold for 10-20% more than for two adjacent lots in Lev Hapark: NAM 5 and a group headed by Canada-Israel Development Corp. each bought a lot for $24.5 million.

The Lev Hapark plan was approved in September 2002. The site is one of the most expensive pieces of land in Israel, south of Pincas St., and east of Namir Rd. The plan calls for the construction of 1,747 apartments and 6,000-sq.m. of commercial space, recreation areas and public institutions on a 135-dunam (33.75-acre) area.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on March 27, 2005

Old Posted Apr 2, 2005, 5:44 PM
Cityslicker

Here's an udpdate on the skyscrapers from yesterday that I found.

Dist Govt Ctr (nearing completion)

Tzamaret Tower 3

Neve Tzdek Tower

Musuem Tower

Sonol Tower (recently completed)

Discount Bank Tower

Last edited by TalB; Apr 2, 2005 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2005, 5:55 AM

Nice pics Tal

I get a kick out of how utterly unplanned Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are....a complete nightmare to navigate for someone used to a nice grid and cross-town expressways.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2005, 1:05 AM
Cityslicker

Viva, Tel Aviv pretty much is planned except for the part that is Jaffa. This is b/c it was founded in 1909, so it's not even a century old, though it will come in four years. The explaination for Jaffa is that it's been around since ancient times. As for the Jerusalem, it's pretty much the same for Jaffa at least for the eastern section, but the western portion is pretty modern, espeically in Givat Ram, which is where the Israeli government is found.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2005, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
Viva, Tel Aviv pretty much is planned except for the part that is Jaffa. This is b/c it was founded in 1909, so it's not even a century old, though it will come in four years. The explaination for Jaffa is that it's been around since ancient times. As for the Jerusalem, it's pretty much the same for Jaffa at least for the eastern section, but the western portion is pretty modern, espeically in Givat Ram, which is where the Israeli government is found.
True, theyre planned in a certain sense (obviously not the old city Jerusalem, but the west part). But as I understood it they were planned in small bits and pieces so they don't really form any sort of coherent system or plan in the way New York, Chicago, Paris, etc. do. I'll excuse Jerusalem because of the mountains. Plus the winding streets and ordinance requiring stone buildings gives it a quaint feel thats decidedly distinct from the more modern tel aviv-ramat gan-herzliya area. Are there any skyscraper plans for Jerusalem or Haifa, or is everything basically Tel Aviv and Ramat Gan at this point?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2005, 10:27 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Thumbs up

wow, awesome thread tal.

tel aviv is certainly booming. these are some the most daring and best high-rise propsals i have seen yet. more so than dubai, IMO.

this one will be off the wall...

^ those have a striking similarity to the amkor tower (very first building you posted), are they by same architect?

the ELA tower looks pretty damn cool as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations