HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 4:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Was Hazel McCallion French Canadian? It says she was Anglican in the CBC article re: her death this morning at 101.
From the CBC article:

Quote:
Hazel Journeaux was born on Feb. 14, 1921, in Port Daniel, Que., a very small town in the Gaspé Peninsula. The youngest of five children developed a life-long passion for hockey and eventually landed in Montreal for education and her first professional jobs. With the engineering firm Canadian Kellogg, she moved to Toronto in her late 20s.
There are (rapidly diminishing) anglophone enclaves in the Gaspe, but her maiden name is of French origin, so it is reasonable to presume she grew up in a French Canadian family, with French being her mother tongue. The bit about her being Anglican is interesting though. Perhaps her mother was anglophone, and this could explain her denomination, and perhaps the language at home was English as well.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

My guess is that she was descended from Channel Islands British, who often have French-sounding surnames. There were a number of these people who settled on the south coast of the Gaspé way back when.

I've never known her to speak French, and probably around the time she was born and grew up it wasn't that common for Quebec anglophones to learn French, no matter where they lived.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My guess is that she was descended from Channel Islands British, who often have French-sounding surnames. There were a number of these people who settled on the south coast of the Gaspé way back when.

I've never known her to speak French, and probably around the time she was born and grew up it wasn't that common for Quebec anglophones to learn French, no matter where they lived.
Correct.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:30 PM

Justin Trudeau doing his best to boost the Québec sovereignty movement.

Quote:
Nomination d’Amira Elghawaby : embarras chez les libéraux, Legault fustige Trudeau

Les élus québécois ont adopté à l'unanimité, en fin de journée mardi, une motion exigeant que l'Assemblée nationale demande à Ottawa de mettre fin au mandat d’Amira Elghawaby.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...quebec-trudeau
Quote:
Québécois dépeints comme « antimusulmans »
Des leaders musulmans ont réclamé des excuses à Amira Elghawaby

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2...-elghawaby.php
Quote:
Ce terme réservé pour les Québécois

Pour parler de la saga d’Amira Elghawaby, casseuse de sucre sur le dos des Grenouilles, reculons l’horloge, revenons dans le temps, si vous le voulez bien.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/c...-quebecois.php

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
������

[URL unfurl="true"]https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1952293/amira-elghawaby-scandale-controverse-quebec-trudeau[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2023-02-01/quebecois-depeints-comme-antimusulmans/des-leaders-musulmans-ont-reclame-des-excuses-a-amira-elghawaby.php[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1952849/amira-elghawaby-islamophobie-bq-yves-francois-blanchet-yfb[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/chroniques/2023-01-31/ce-terme-reserve-pour-les-quebecois.php[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2023/02/03/amira-elghawaby-serait-sage-de-demissionner[/URL]
Hé oui. Ça va vraiment bien!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:56 PM

Seems a pretty minimal issue in MOC, probably because not many see the appointment as an important one (anybody remember the Ambassador for Religious Freedom?).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:46 PM

Who are we betting is going to last longer, George Santos or Amira Elghawaby?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 2:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not sure where this fits, but a city bus has rammed into a daycare in Laval. Multiple serious injuries reported.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6A...11c5pndlntious injuries.

Note that the daycare is at the end of this alley, some distance away from the road.

EDIT: Driver has been arrested. No word on what charges are pending.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Witnesses and unnamed police sources saying it looks like a deliberate act. A daycare parent tackled the driver.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

More info from media:

Driver was apparently an actual city bus driver and not some dude who stole a bus.

He was partially nude.

This might point to a psychological issue as opposed to a political act of some kind.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:15 PM

2 dead, according to Laval police.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Horrible.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
... but her maiden name is of French origin, so it is reasonable to presume she grew up in a French Canadian family, with French being her mother tongue.
Forgot to reply to this (was suspended at the time...) but it is most definitely not reasonable at all. A French Canadian family in 1921 Absolutely. Does. Not. Ever. name a baby "Hazel". Regardless of the family name, they were obviously Anglos; that's guaranteed. Being Anglican is just the icing on the cake, had we needed one more clue.

It's not a Québécois surname at all, so my guess was Channel Islands. And I would have been right.

My Gaspé Anglo ex's grandma had a French-sounding (yet not Québécois) surname, and she was the Britishest person I ever met. Anglo-Norman family, no trace of Frenchness left except the surname. I know I mentioned it here already, but she had a huge framed pic of QEII in the house -- and it did not look out of character at all

I was sure it was the same thing here.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Shades of 7Upgate, though in rather bad taste...

Some Québec Anglos are on social media ragging on the francophone spokespeople who did not speak in English during the impromptu pressers that took place during today's crisis.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:08 AM

Dans un article sur (le déclin de) Barcelone dans le Financial Times aujourd'hui, y a quand même quelqu'un qui a réussi à placer un commentaire anti-Montréal.
Quote:
I spent a long time in Montreal at the peak of Quebec independence movement. The city went from the commercial centre of Canada to a backwards downtrodden city in the span of 2 decades. All the major businesses along and large parts of the population, including a big chunk of the Jewish community, just packed up and moved to Toronto.

In the 90s, Montreal was still a beautiful and wonderful city, but economically a shadow of its former self with limited employment opportunities. One issue is that back then the province was governed by a string of separatist governments that didn't care about the economy. The fought over stupid things like the overuse of apostrophes (I wish I were joking) instead of the betterment society. They saw prosperity as part of the problem, and malaise as a way to increase discontent. For them, economic decline increased the probability of meeting their independence objectives.

I actually support Quebecois culture, which is unique in North America, and the right to self-determination (even if I don't support outright separatism). But I don't support toxic independence movements that thrive on division and discontent. Montreal will never fully recover. I hope Barcelona gets its act together soon.
L'article en question (avec lequel je dois hélas dire que je suis d'accord, pour avoir visité Barcelone souvent ces dernières années) :
Quote:
How Barcelona lost its way

https://www.ft.com/content/18f0ca8c-...f-e99f71a046e8

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Dans un article sur (le déclin de) Barcelone dans le Financial Times aujourd'hui, y a quand même quelqu'un qui a réussi à placer un commentaire anti-Montréal.

L'article en question (avec lequel je dois hélas dire que je suis d'accord, pour avoir visité Barcelone souvent ces dernières années) :
Merci d'avoir partagé cet article.

Montreal has actually "fully recovered" with for example an unemployment rate lower than Toronto's even before the pandemic and also lower crime rates.

But sure, Montreal will never again be the largest city in Canada if that is someone's definition of "recovery".

One comparison that is dubious in terms of the economy is that Barcelona as the economic powerhouse of Spain had an economy largely controlled by Catalans who were always a prosperous élite class in spite of oppression under Franco.

When Montreal was Canada's economic powerhouse and dominant city, the economy there was controlled b6 the anglo minority, and French Canadians were a poor proletarian class.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 12:01 PM

Montreal is in a better shape now than it was at any point in the 90’s. If anyone says otherwise, I would frankly question if they know what they are talking about.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 12:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It also provides a much better life for a greater proportion of its citizens than it did in the so-called good old days of the 60s and 70s.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that with the current EU setup, Barcelona doesn't need to be in Spain anywhere as much as Peak Montreal of the Golden Square Mile era needed to be firmly in Anglo-Canada in order to be an economic powerhouse (and stopped being Canada's Hub as soon as it decided to disembark from Anglo-Canada).

Huge difference right there.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm pretty sure that with the current EU setup, Barcelona doesn't need to be in Spain anywhere as much as Peak Montreal of the Golden Square Mile era needed to be firmly in Anglo-Canada in order to be an economic powerhouse (and stopped being Canada's Hub as soon as it decided to disembark from Anglo-Canada).

Huge difference right there.
The Catalan independence movement is really suffering from everyone with any power ganging up on them, including the EU.

They are all defending the status quo that favours them and their friends.

Even if everyone knows full well that the EU would admit an independent Catalonia if ever that were to happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada