HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 5:00 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

A few more details about the Starwoods/Sheraton Project:

1. Demolition of the Princess Wing, Kaiulani Wing and Kalakaua Avenue stores to build a new time-share tower.
2. Upgrades to the pool, public areas and retail space.
3. Ainahau Tower renovated and turned into a freestanding Sheraton hotel.
4. Continued renovation of the Banyan Wing rooms.
5. Replacement of the Diamond Wing with a 200- to 250-room hotel.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 10:14 AM
You got a sense of place?

Construction Updates 9/17/06

I just took a spin into Honolulu's active constuction area and using (if you don't mind) Urbanguy's list of projects I'll like to write an update of all the projects I know about. The updates will be written in Bold I hope.
Note; all floor totals are from the ground up, no underground floors are included.
P.S. I think Ubanguy is doing a great job.

Most Recently Completed: All comfirmed
[1] Ko'olani @ 47 stories (2006)
[2] Hokua Tower @ 418 ft. (2006)
[3] 215 North King Street @ 23 stories (2005)
[4] Ko'Olina Beach Club 2 @ 12 stories (2005)
[5] Lanikea Waikiki @ 300 ft. (2005)

Under Construction:

[1] Keola Lai @ 387 ft. (2008) 10th floor
[2] The Watermark Waikiki @ 350 ft. (2007) 7th floor
[3] Nine O Nine Kapiolani @ 345 ft. (2007) 15th floor
[4] Moana Pacific East Tower @ 46 stories (2006) Roof and interior work
[5] Moana Pacific West Tower @ 46 stories (2007) Roof and interior work
[6] Capitol Place @ 350 ft. (2008) 8th floor
[7] The Pinnacle Honolulu @ 35 stories (2007/2008) 7th floor
[8] Beach Villas at Ko'olina @ 15 stories (2008) Not sure but couple of months ago heavy work on underground floors
[9] The Grand Waikikian @ 38 stories (2008) Ground work and 1st floor work

Approved:

[1] Ewa Tower - Ward Village @ 17 stories (2008) Ground work and 1st floor work recently resumed
[2] Kulana Hale Apartments II @ 15 stories *Don't know whats going on with this, haven't heard anything about it in a while. Not sure myself

Proposed: *There's a couple here that may already be approved (Moana Vista, 2121 Kuhio, Trump INTL, etc) and others about to be soon.

[1] The World Trade Center Hawaii @ 400 ft. No progress
[2] Trump International Hotel and Tower Waikiki Beach @ 350 ft. (2009) Heavy demolition work on small Hotel on site
[3] 2121 Kuhio @ 300 ft. (2008) Fenced and recent site clearing completed
[4] Kapiolani Akahi Continuing Care Retirement Community @ 294 ft. *Unsure if this will ever get built, haven't heard much about it for a while. Not sure myself
[5] 800 Nu'uanu Condominiums @ 220 ft. (2006/2007) Not sure myself but I'll followup soon
[6] Royal Kahili Tower @ 208 ft. (2006) Not sure
[7] Moana Vista Fenced and recent site clearing
[8] Kakaako Project @ 25 stories *Unsure if this will ever get built, haven't heard much about it for a while. Not sure myself
[9] 1700 Kalakaua @ 17 stories (2007) Not sure myself but I'll followup soon
[10] Iwilei Elderly Housing @ 13 stories Not sure
[11] New Dormitory - Univeristy of Hawaii Manoa 1 @ 12 stories (2008)
[12] New Dormitory - Univeristy of Hawaii Manoa 2 @ 12 stories (2008) Both dorms been approved, demolition work has started on old dorm on site, slated to start construction early 2007
[13] Plantation Town Apartments 1 @ 12 stories
[14] Plantation Town Apartments 2 @ 12 stories Not sure
[15] Ko'olua Future, pending on market
[16] unnamed planned by Kamehameha Schools and partner No official plans yet
[17] unnamed planned by Gannett Co. and partner No official plans yet
[18] Allure Waikiki Fenced and recent site clearing completed
-----(a big maybe-way too early to tell) I think its moving with construction to start first couple months of 2007. Has good local architure firm working on plans now and unit sales to start mid fall 2006
[19] *Another possible A&B Project - I will add more details when i find out more about this. Not sure myself

Dead:

[1] Na Hale Kai Tower 1 @ 20 stories
[2] Na Hale Kai Tower 2 @ 20 stories
[3] Na Hale Kai Tower 3 @ 20 stories
[4] Pacific Quay Office Tower
[5] Pacific Quay Hotel Recent change in building purpose to lease hold and time share boutique hotel got approval in July. Demolition of site to start end of this year.
[6] Puaena @ 28 stories (2007) Developer changed hands now Allure Waikiki-see above

Last edited by PolyArch; Sep 20, 2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Some bolds needed to be fixed

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 2:54 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Awesome thanks a lot for the updates and comments.

Huge news here!

60,000 new homes planned for O'ahu

Source: Honolulu Advertiser

These homes on Kaie'e Street at Haseko Hawaii's Ocean Pointe are nearing completion and are part of the unprecedented housing expansion cycle O'ahu has experienced over the past few years.

Developers, encouraged by strong housing prices, plan to build roughly 60,000 new homes on O'ahu over the next two decades, according to a city survey and Advertiser estimates.

The expansion — adding the equivalent of a new Mililani, Hawai'i Kai, Wahiawa, Kailua and Kane'ohe combined — comes with benefits and drawbacks. It's good for the economy, jobs and families pursuing the American Dream of homeownership. But it's often bad for open spaces, commuters frustrated by increasingly congested traffic and children attending overcrowded schools.

"Are we to become like Los Angeles?" asked Hank Higuchi, a Pearl City resident of 56 years. "I really can't see how our infrastructure can handle it."

The projects could mean significant impacts on O'ahu residents already facing congested freeways, crowded schools and rising fees for infrastructure such as sewer lines.

Whether developers will be able to follow through on their plans depends on market conditions, but the prospect of so many new homes is jarring to many.

Kathleen Kaiser, a longtime resident who has owned a condominium in Waipi'o Gentry since 1998, is dejected by residential sprawl into more of Central and Leeward O'ahu where city planners have directed urban growth.

"It does not work on an island with a finite availability of land," she said. "I believe we are now at the tipping point of overdevelopment."

Still, as families grow, so do housing needs, especially for affordable housing that the city mandates for many new communities. There are enough people who support the growth and enough jobs dependent on it that limiting expansion is not considered an option by most lawmakers.

"You cannot stop growth," said state Rep. Michael Kahikina, D-44th (Nanakuli, Honokai Hale) House Housing Committee chairman. "People are still going to make babies."

Kahikina said he wants to see more workforce housing and smart-growth projects designed to minimize traffic increases, but controls on building do not make sense.

Whether people favor or oppose housing growth, the marketplace and regulatory constraints will largely dictate how many homes are built and how fast.

STRONG DEMAND

The new Capitol Place and the Pinnacle condominiums in Downtown Honolulu are taking shape.

Over the past several years, O'ahu experienced an unprecedented housing expansion cycle with stratospheric price increases and sustained demand that recently has slowed but remains relatively strong.

The market, in turn, spurred developers to rekindle stalled plans, speed up construction of ongoing projects and propose a slate of new communities.

These plans have pumped up the development pipeline enough to potentially spew a flood of new residences throughout urban, suburban and rural communities.

Most of the development is concentrated among urban Ho-nolulu high-rises and massive master-planned communities of detached homes and townhomes in Central and Leeward O'ahu.

Advertiser calculations and city Department of Planning and Permitting's August 2005 survey show that developers could deliver about 5,500 homes both in 2008 and in 2009, after fewer than 4,000 estimated homes this year and next year.

By contrast, an average of 3,430 homes per year were added on O'ahu between 1990 and 2000 — 54 percent of it in Central and 'Ewa regions, according to the city.

The market may put the brakes on some of that construction. Sales of existing homes have slowed since late last year, in part because rising prices and interest rates are putting homes out of reach for more and more buyers.

Economists forecast that home prices will continue to rise, albeit only slightly, through 2007. If that is true, it follows that demand will continue to decline.

That could deter builders from delivering as many homes as they'd like.

"There's been a tremendous amount of permitting activity (to build homes) in the last few years," said Carl Bonham, a University of Hawai'i economist. "Something's not going to get built. I think the peak is here."

Other industry observers also predict that many of the homes slated for delivery in the next few years will be delayed, and that the homebuilding "boom" is over.

HOMEBUILDING PEAK

Paul Brewbaker, chief economist for Bank of Hawaii, forecasts a slowdown in home construction starting next year and running through at least 2010.

"We're right at the peak for homebuilding," he said.

Brewbaker noted that the peak — expected to be under 4,000 homes this year — is lower than what it was in almost every year from about 1960 through the mid-1990s.

If the construction does slow, that's not terrible news for residents frustrated about transportation infrastructure and schools failing to keep pace with new subdivisions, and for people dismayed about former sugar cane fields being gobbled up for housing.

One major advantage to rapid new-home construction is that it can lead to lower prices, but the pace of building on O'ahu is not expected to boost supply enough to take pressure off prices in the near term.

Brewbaker notes that even if developers build 5,000 homes a year, it would be the equivalent of a roughly 1 percent increase to supply. "It's next to nothing," he said.

The city's most recent housing growth projection, made last year, is for 1 percent annual growth, or about 3,000 homes a year from 2000 to 2010, and then about 4,000 a year from 2010 to 2030. Updated projections won't be available until later this year.

Developers typically try to alter production to match demand, so it's difficult to say exactly how many homes will get built.

"I don't think developers are going to push the envelope too hard," said Mike Jones, president of D.R. Horton's local Schuler Division. "We've all been through the bloodbath (when Hawai'i's housing market crashed in the early 1990s)."

Large projects dependent on government approvals also can be delayed by the permit process, creating more uncertainty as to whether developer plans will be realized.

Of the nearly 60,000 homes slated for development in the next two decades, at least 25,000 need major government approvals such as zoning changes, including Castle & Cooke's Koa Ridge near Mililani and Schuler's Ho'opili on the 'Ewa Plain.

Many of the planned homes, however, are within already authorized and ongoing projects such as Ewa by Gentry, Haseko Hawaii's Ocean Pointe and numerous high-rise condos.

Residents can voice their concerns about development and the planning process by attending community meetings to begin in October.

A task force created last year by the state Legislature plans a series of meetings and studies to examine how much land development, water use and population Hawai'i can support. The Hawai'i 2050 Sustainability Task Force also plans to address other quality-of-life issues as development increases.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 11:22 PM

Thanks as always for the informative updates, it is pretty difficult to keep up with all this especially considering how nearly stagnate the new construction market (at least for Honolulu) had been just a few years ago.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 5:04 AM
Maui Built

WOW! 60.000 is quite the number. especially out in ewa. imagine the highways after this. i wonder what the number of new houses is over on maui? it seems like there is more building than in the past, at least in Kihei and Wailuku.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 3:16 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Makani, you're welcome.

Gregorius, i'm not sure but as you know Maui is still booming. I have created a mini-Maui construction thread at Urbanplanet that has some projects going on/proposed for Maui. There are a couple that are to be mixed-use which is a very good thing and hopefully will be something that is considered for future projects there.

Medical Facility ~ Honolulu, HI

Sources: HighMark & Honolulu Advertiser

Located in the heart of Honolulu, this project is unique in that it will maximize the use of a site in an area where planning and density are key to a successful development.

The project will consist primarily of medical offices, complete with a surgery center and orthopedic facility, as well as retail space.

A developer plans to build a medical office building on North Beretania Street across from 'A'ala Park on a site previously slated for a residential high-rise.

Seattle-based HighMark Investments recently bought the parcel from affiliates of California firm 3D Investments LLC for an undisclosed price.

HighMark said it plans to build a 12- to 15-story medical center with 225,000 square feet of space, including some for retail use, and 750 parking stalls.

HighMark said it expects to start construction next spring and be completed within 18 to 24 months.

-Looks pretty darn good at this point!

Update: Waikiki Beach Walk

Source: Honolulu Advertiser

COST: $310 MILLION

Includes improvements to the Outrigger Reef on the Beach in spring 2006, and the 280-room Ohana Islander Waikiki in mid-2007.

CONSTRUCTION

# 10,550 cubic yards of concrete poured

# 800 feet of new sewer lines

# 10 miles of electrical wire installed

WHAT'S NEXT

$400 million Trump International luxury hotel-condominium tower, to be completed by early 2009 at the corner of Saratoga Road and Kalia Road.

OPENING THIS DECEMBER

A 94,000 square-foot, two-story shopping and restaurant complex.

45 stores and eateries. (Some tenants, such as Yard House, will open in January.)

Embassy Suites Hotel - Waikiki Beach Walk. (Second tower to open February 2007.)

# 22 stories.

# Standard one-bedroom suite (maximum 4 people), $399. Standard two-bedroom suite, $549. Includes complimentary breakfast and Manager's Reception.

Wyndham Vacation Ownership - Waikiki Beach Walk.

# 195 units

MUST-SEES FOR KAMA'AINA

Open-air, grass-covered plaza in center of the retail complex will feature a fountain and live entertainment.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 11:51 PM

I got photos! but put in wrong links, I'll try again. :(

I figured it out, see below.

Last edited by PolyArch; Sep 26, 2006 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Wrong links to photos, now I know.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 11:59 PM

Sorry I'm new

I know this worked and it gives you a preview of whats to come after I change all my links

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:42 AM

One more time.

Drove through town, took pictures, got great advise from Urbanguy (Mahalo) used ImageShack and here they are hopefully.

The following are grouped in three sections: Waikiki, Kakaako, and Downtown The new medical building listed above is right outside of Chinatown which is a part of Downtown. Great job in finding the rendering, Urbanguy-looks good. There is a forth district with new buildings going up or planned, it lays outside of Honolulu and It's called Kapolei (the new Second City). Most of Kapolei's highrises are in its resort district called Ko Olina. These luxury hotels, condos and timeshares run from 10 stores to 17 stores tall. Since Ko Olina lays on a different part of the island I'll get pictures of them on another day soon.

The renderings are listed first in smaller photos, followed by the actual current building photo as they stood last Friday 9/22/06.

Waikiki

Watermark Waikiki

Trump Waikiki
(Sorry forgot to shoot the demolition at the Trump Waikiki site.)

(Here it is lastest demolition of old Hotel on site. Foundation pour scheduled for Dec. 06)

Loft at Waikiki

Lanikea
(I didn’t realize I shot the back of the building)

Hilton Wakikian

Allure Waikiki
(in design phase, no renderings yet)

2121 Kuhio

Kakaako

Ward Village

Moana Pacific

Moana Vista

Ko'olani
(Interior work is almost complete)

Keola La'i

Hokua
(Interior work is almost complete)

New HFD HQ
(Not a skyscraper but it's nice looking, just completed last week.)

Ala Moana Shopping Center
(Also not a skyscraper but the largest outdoor mall in the world is adding on, foreground, and connecting to the newest anchor store Norstrom which is the crane in back left.)

909 Kapiolani

Downtown

Capital Place

The Pinnacle
(Right across the street from the Capital Place above)

Last edited by PolyArch; Oct 8, 2006 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:51 AM

MONA PACIFIC!!! WOW! Those are coming out to be really nice.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2006, 1:30 PM

Lastest Ko Olina Photos shot 10/05/06

Ko Olina Resort

Marriot Beach Club
(Tower #1-3rd from front-was completed a couple of years ago, Tower #2-4th from front- was completed earlier this year and now working on Towern#3-2nd from front-pictured below with basement work and Tower #1 in b.g.)

Centex Beach Villas at Ko Olina
(Basement and 1st floor work going on for both towers below.)
Beach Tower

Ocean Tower

Cresent Heights Resort Condo
(Now in design phase-no rederings yet, multi million dollar lot already purchased and fenced below lays between the projects above.)

Grand Ko Olina
(Billion dollar resort-model below-is in the proposal catagory for now.)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2006, 9:26 PM
Maui Built

Welcome PolyArch, and thanks for all those updates. I'm assuming you are from O'ahu then?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 5:28 AM

Thanks for the thread. I have not been to Hawaii for years. Looks like I need to return to check out all the new development.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 7:28 AM

Where I live.

Yes, I live on Oahu and it's expensive. I'm just learning this forum stuff. Urbanguy has realy helped me I'm helping Urbanguy since I live in on Oahu and he doesn't anymore. Besides I love Hawaiian architecture and we in Honolulu, as well as lots of other cities, are in a limited building frenzy so I'ld like to share it while we're hot. Don't know about next year. This city usually has a 10 to 12 year building cycle so enjoy the photos.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 7:15 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Great job PolyArch! Thanks for taking the time to take all those photos and for posting them here for us to see.

Its really exciting to see all these projects going on in Honolulu, the only thing missing besides new office towers is more affordable housing and rentals. Although, i know the Gov. Lingle has proposed and has been pushing for thousands of units i haven't really seen any developers stepping up to the plate.

BTW here's some other stuff about to go on. Another great opportunity for Hawaii's economy to diversify, thanks to the revised and improved tax credits.

Film studio planned

Source: Honolulu Advertiser!

A Los Angeles developer is proposing to build a major movie and TV studio complex in Kapolei with possible state help under an ambitious plan that would rev up Hawai'i's film industry.

SHM Partners has an agreement with Campbell Estate to lease 22 acres next to Kapolei Business Park for the project. SHM plans to build a 200,000-square-foot facility including four sound stages, a mill for set construction, offices and perhaps a screening room, food commissary and tourist area.

The new space for productions would stimulate Hawai'i's movie and TV industry, which now generates an estimated $100 million in annual revenue and about 3,500 jobs. It would also broaden commercial uses in O'ahu's burgeoning "second city."

"The need for other stage space is crucial," said Dana Hankins, an independent producer and owner of Redhead Productions. Hankins was looking for a warehouse or aircraft hanger yesterday morning to accommodate a multi-episode miniseries anticipated to begin shooting early next year. "We don't have any other big-box options."

The only sound stage suitable for large productions in Hawai'i now is the Hawaii Film Studio at Diamond Head. The state facility, which CBS built in the 1970s for "Hawaii Five-0" on 7.5 acres, recently had a $7.3 million renovation.

If the Diamond Head studio is not available, typically, productions turn to large warehouse space, which is expensive to retrofit and extremely hard to find in Hawai'i's tight industrial real-estate market.

NEED FOR SPACE

Two years ago when three TV series were in production here — ABC's "Lost", NBC's "Hawaii" and Fox's "North Shore" — "Lost" and "Hawaii" had to lease and retrofit warehouse space. A fourth planned series called "Rocky Point" didn't pan out.

Hawai'i film commissioner Donne Dawson said "Hawaii" had to be shot in a former Hopaco warehouse in Mapunapuna that wasn't a good fit for neighboring businesses or the show. "It was a nightmare in terms of parking for crew and equipment," she said.

"Lost" rented the former Xerox warehouse in Iwilei, but this season the hit show moved all studio production into the Diamond Head studio.

SHM's Kapolei studio with four sound stages would quadruple the facilities now available for productions requiring large studio space.

The new studio would also compete with the Diamond Head studio, which could make it more difficult for the developers to get any state support.

SHM said it will pursue some form of public financial support.

"You just can't build studios and have it make financial sense," said Larry Hricik, an SHM partner. "They are very, very difficult to make financially viable. There has to be more there."

SHM hasn't asked the state film commission for help yet, but film commissioner Dawson said she told SHM that the state would be hard-pressed to participate in more film studio development.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

At the same time, Dawson said the state needs more large studio space to accommodate rising demand expected from the state's recently increased tax credit for film production.

"There most definitely is a need. We could use something bigger in scale," she said. "What they're doing is important to the state, and it's important to the further development of the industry."

It's unclear whether the newly modified film production tax credits could be sought under the studio development plan, or whether SHM might pursue other opportunities such as state revenue bonds.

The state hands out an estimated $28 million in film tax credits each year, but they're limited to production expenses. The revised program, which took effect in July, raised the old 4 percent credit to 15 percent on O'ahu and 20 percent on the Neighbor Islands, but caps credits at $8 million per production.

SHM is considering other ways to spread development costs and enhance revenue, such as developing space for a rum distillery on the site.

Hricik said a rum distiller approached SHM about the idea, so SHM included a distillery building with retail space in its conceptual plan.

"There might be some synergies there to attract visitors to the site," he said. "It's not part of our divine plan. Whether or not that happens remains to be determined."

FROM L.A. TO HAWAI'I

SHM is a diverse real estate development company established in 1985. The firm has experience consulting on several film studio projects, and developed Los Angeles Center Studios in 1998 with six sound stages and 400,000 square feet of office space.

Hricik said the Los Angeles project was developed without government aid because SHM was able to use existing infrastructure, parking and office space of a former Unocal headquarters.

"We've done enough of these to know that you need other aspects to make these developments work," he said.

Hricik said Hawai'i's demand for large film studio space is obvious in that productions are routinely scrambling for large indoor space that they can retrofit as sound stages.

"Not only would it be good for us, but it will be good for Hawai'i," he said.

SHM Partners also has a contract to buy an adjacent 100-acre parcel from Campbell Estate that it plans to develop as an industrial park with a Morgan Stanley affiliate. That deal and the studio lease are expected to be completed by the end of the year.

FOUR TIMES THE SPACE

In 2004, TV stations proposed to film four shows in Hawai'i ("Rocky Point" was never picked up). With only the Hawaii Film Studio having a sound stage, two shows filmed elsewhere. Of the three, "Lost" is the only survivor.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 4:50 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Kakaako affordable housing planned

Source: Honolulu Star Bulletin

*The tower is planned to be approximately 14 stories with 200-units

Kakaako Rentals
The proposed project:

Height: 14 stories

Area: 1.25 acres

Project size: Up to 200 apartments

Target tenant income: 30 percent to 140 percent of median ($71,300 for a family of four)

Proposals due: January

Developer selection: April

Source: Hawaii Housing Finance & Development Corp.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 5:03 PM
Santo Domingo

waooooooo i think hawai is getting hot on construccion stuffs, amazing the boom.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:10 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Yeah there's quite a bit going on especially with condo, housing and retail-related developments. However, there's no sign of any Office Towers to be built yet. It's looking like that will be about two years as the vacancy rates and prices continue to rise per sq. footage.

Here's some new and exciting details about the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center rennovation and what's coming to town:

Waikiki's Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center is about six months away from completing a nearly two-year renovation costing more than $84 million.

When completed, the 293,000-square-foot open-air mall will be 17,000 square feet bigger, with about 110 stores, restaurants and entertainment attractions on four levels.

The first new anchor tenant slated to open is restaurant Señor Frog's in March. Other new additions including restaurant P.F. Chang's, a flagship Hilo Hattie store, a food court and a Roy Tokujo theatrical production and nightclub should open by mid-2007. With tenant improvements included, total renovation spending may reach $160 million to $170 million.

1. Hilo Hattie
A 30,000-square-foot flagship store will be mostly above The Cheesecake Factory. The store will be 25 percent bigger than Hilo Hattie's main store on Nimitz Highway. Above Hilo Hattie on the third floor is space for an anchor restaurant, to be announced.

2. Royal Grove
A garden grove of roughly 70 coconut trees and other plants is envisioned as the cultural centerpiece of the mall in a tribute to what Kamehameha Schools said was, in the 19th century, a grove of 10,000 coconut trees on the mall site, known as Helumoa.

The garden will be roughly the size of downtown Honolulu's Tamarind Park, and will include a pond, artesian fountain, stream, performance areas with seating and a statue of Kamehameha Schools founder Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop.

A pedestrian bridge replaces three concrete spans removed to restore a view of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

3. Waikïkï Nei
A $15 million theatrical production, nightclub and ultra lounge is being developed by local showman Roy Tokujo of Cove Marketing and Canada-based Realisations of Montreal.

The 760-seat theater, with moving stages and acrobatic rigging, is being built for the show, which is in conceptual production and will focus on the history of Waikiki.

Two shows are planned nightly, with general admission estimated from $50 to $70, and $30 to $50 for children under 12.

"We're very excited to bring a show of this caliber to Waikiki," said Tokujo, who produced the Maui show " 'Ulalena." "There is nothing like this anywhere in the Islands."

After the Waikiki show, half the theater's seating will retract to create a nightclub with capacity for 1,000 people. Kamehameha Schools said the club will be in the style of the MGM Grand's Studio 54 in Las Vegas with acrobatic performances, high-tech videos, lighting and sound.

The theater lobby is being styled like the upscale Tabu ultra lounge in Las Vegas.

4. Pa’ina Lanai
A nine-tenant food court, including a bar called Da Sand Bar, will occupy former second-floor McInerny space overlooking the coconut grove.

5. New makai entrance
A new entrance to the mall is being created with a porte-cochere for vehicles and pedestrians traveling through the Sheraton Waikiki hotel traffic circle. Previously, there was no mall entrance fronting the beachfront hotel tower.

"Really, it's a big welcome mat to our neighbors and their guests," said Susan Todani, director of development and planning for Kamehameha Schools.?

6. Restaurant anchor additions
Señor Frog's, a fast-growing chain out of Mexico, and P.F. Chang's are being added to spaces fronting Lewers Street, where Outrigger Enterprises is close to opening its restaurant and retail development Waikiki Beach Walk.

Other new or renovated stores and restaurants opening throughout the mall:
• South Beach, Fla.-based Doraku Sushi
• L'Occitane
• Kate Spade
• Fendi
• Starbucks

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 5:42 AM

What are some other stores that will be opening in Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:20 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Sorry that I haven't updated in a while but here's some potentially good news. I will post updates when i find out more info.

Council backs taller urban high-rises

**Yay, its about time! The only thing missing is how high are they willing to go?

High-rise buildings could get even higher in urban Honolulu, under a resolution that the City Council unanimously approved yesterday.

Zoning Chairman Charles Djou, author of the resolution, said he hopes that in the short term, the measure will encourage the city administration to build right up to current height limits instead of recommending heights below the ceiling.

"Under existing law, go to the maximum, but over the long term, let's look at increasing those height limits in the urban core," Djou said.

While the resolution does not have the force of law, an administration official said the message from the Council is clear.

"It's an indication to us that there are things that the City Council wants us to look at," said Henry Eng, director of the city Department of Planning and Permitting. "And we'll certainly take that into consideration when we handle future applications."

Djou said that increasing height limits will increase density in the primary urban center -- the area that generally runs between Waialae-Kahala and Pearl City -- by building up instead of out.

The height limit for downtown Honolulu buildings is 350 feet, but Hawaii's tallest building, the First Hawaiian Center built in 1996, received an exemption to build to 430 feet. **(Also, there are a couple of spots in the CBD that allow heights up to 450 ft.)**

Djou said that Hawaii is a long way from creating the kind of super-skyscrapers that hover over cities like New York or Chicago, which is home to the tallest building in the U.S.: the Sears Tower at 1,450 feet.

"While increasing heights is controversial and not universally welcomed -- we don't want Manhattan in Honolulu -- nevertheless, given the choice of paving over more of our open space, I think going up is a better policy position," Djou said.

The increased density, he said, will help to boost housing supply to meet the island's growing population and help address Honolulu's housing crunch.

Djou said that having more residents living in town also will help ease traffic congestion from Leeward Oahu.

Building heights will also come into play as debate continues over whether the city should move forward with planning for rail transit and the housing surrounding transit stations.

"Residents of the primary urban center are very worried about increased density and the fact that a transit line will be coming through," said Councilwoman Ann Kobayashi, whose Makiki-Manoa district is in the primary urban center.

Among those concerns is whether the current infrastructure can support growing density.

"Our infrastructure is such that it is already breaking down. Our water, sewers and our roads cannot handle a higher density," city employee Dan Neyer testified.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations