HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The renders look very nice, but the controversial piece will be the elimination of all street parking. This is usual MO of the urbanists and part of their war against the automobile. I can't imagine the businesses supporting this.
Shows parking lanes for off peak hours.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
The renders look very nice, but the controversial piece will be the elimination of all street parking. This is usual MO of the urbanists and part of their war against the automobile. I can't imagine the businesses supporting this.
I fully agree.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Shows parking lanes for off peak hours.
OK well that might be doable.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 8:40 PM

Before and after courtesy https://twitter.com/JustBins

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:03 PM

https://www.cjme.com/2024/04/25/twin...resume-in-may/
The federal government is contributing more than $27 million toward the project, with the Saskatchewan government putting up the other $30 million.

The two-year project, which began in 2023, is expected to resume as early as May and will be completed this year, weather permitting.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:29 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
OK well that might be doable.
I think keeping it at 2 lanes in both directions (4 total) without regular parking is a bad idea.
Plenty of pedestrian friendly streets in other Canadian cities that have popular main streets with lots of pedestrian traffic, restaurants and cafes with patios, have parallel parking spots as a buffer between the sidewalk and pedestrians, Also, parked cars slow down traffic (which you want) as you have to drive more carefully in case someone opens their doors or comes walking out between cars.
I would have preferred they kept the parking and reduced traffic to 1 lane each way IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.cjme.com/2024/04/25/twin...resume-in-may/
The federal government is contributing more than $27 million toward the project, with the Saskatchewan government putting up the other $30 million.

The two-year project, which began in 2023, is expected to resume as early as May and will be completed this year, weather permitting.
This is the sort of infrastructure project that Minister Guilbeault says the Feds will no longer fund, even though it clearly will save lives. Instead tens of billions are going to EV plants in Ontario. Not sure what they will drive on.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I think keeping it at 2 lanes in both directions (4 total) without regular parking is a bad idea.
Plenty of pedestrian friendly streets in other Canadian cities that have popular main streets with lots of pedestrian traffic, restaurants and cafes with patios, have parallel parking spots as a buffer between the sidewalk and pedestrians, Also, parked cars slow down traffic (which you want) as you have to drive more carefully in case someone opens their doors or comes walking out between cars.
I would have preferred they kept the parking and reduced traffic to 1 lane each way IMHO.
It looks like there are no curbs like on Pat Fiacco Plaza. I wonder if that is safe.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
It looks like there are no curbs like on Pat Fiacco Plaza. I wonder if that is safe.
In fact, blurring the line between road and sidewalk makes streets safer, as it causes drivers to be more aware of their surroundings (only have to look at European centres that feature this a lot). The safest street design is one that mixes cars with obstacles (like trees, bollards, etc) and also easy pedestrian crossing. This forces cars to drive more slowly. Optimally, vehicle speed in dense areas of cities should be 20-30kph most of the time, with lots of stops. It's more inconvenient for drivers (though realistically only adds minutes to trips) but is incredibly safer for pedestrians.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:36 AM

Tonight was my first time past the south Albert bridge sight since work started. Old bridge gone and form work for the abutment and pier going up already. https://imgur.com/a/uXz5bE3

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Heise is excited for the area to be more walkable and accessible by bike.

“We’re huge fans,” he said in an interview Wednesday. “We don’t need more parking. We need more people using some other forms of transportation. That’s what drives business.”

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...gins-next-week

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
Heise is excited for the area to be more walkable and accessible by bike.

“We’re huge fans,” he said in an interview Wednesday. “We don’t need more parking. We need more people using some other forms of transportation. That’s what drives business.”

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...gins-next-week
He/you are little different than the average businessperson - I am sure you agree. Having said that I moderated my comments based on off peak street parking being permitted. It is a fact that most businesses prefer having street parking in Regina and Saskatoon and businesses tend to do better with it. Just look at the downtown streets in Saskatoon with angle parking.

I do not disagree with you in relation to some parts of larger cities with better climates and better public transit.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
In fact, blurring the line between road and sidewalk makes streets safer, as it causes drivers to be more aware of their surroundings (only have to look at European centres that feature this a lot). The safest street design is one that mixes cars with obstacles (like trees, bollards, etc) and also easy pedestrian crossing. This forces cars to drive more slowly. Optimally, vehicle speed in dense areas of cities should be 20-30kph most of the time, with lots of stops. It's more inconvenient for drivers (though realistically only adds minutes to trips) but is incredibly safer for pedestrians.
OK but we are not a European city. We will always be way more autocentric.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I don't argue with that, but the same rules apply when it comes to reducing traffic speed, and work just as effectively here. If you make people drive in more crowded and confined places (and with obstacles and lots of stops/turns) then they tend to drive more slowly and carefully. The worst thing for pedestrian safety are long stretches of open road. That's why it's great to have spots where the road tightens (forcing you subconsciously to slow down), make you take more stops, etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I always find it hilarious when people compare Regina to any European city or even a different US or Canadian city. We are a flat frozen wasteland of streets and avenues at right angles to each other with zero defining geographic features outside of Wascana Centre. Downtown/core/warehouse will forever be car-centric environments because we have nothing to bring people in and until there is gentrification of the closer neighbourhoods, things will not change.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Not construction related so don’t get all in a tizzy / seen this done year after year is heartwarming
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.4211957
Thousands of plants blooming in tucked-away greenhouse will soon cover Wascana gardens, Government House
The gardens also provide 110,000 flowers throughout the city which is pretty darn amazing

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan