HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:18 PM
Hello

I love this building and I am an Inga fan.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
I love this building and I am an Inga fan.
who isn't on these boards? Its pretty incredible that so many are in near total agreement with everything she's ever typed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:44 PM

Aug 14:

Aug 19:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
who isn't on these boards? Its pretty incredible that so many are in near total agreement with everything she's ever typed.
No one is in near total agreement with everything she's ever typed. The anti-Inga faction can get so irrational that it is positively mystifying. She's been accused of the goofiest stuff - of being anti-Philadelphia, of being anti-development, of being anti-height, of being anti-density. The truth is she's the opposite of all that. She's clearly pro-Philadelphia, clearly pro-development, clearly unafraid of height, and as pro-density as anyone else out there.

I'm not sure what some of you want in your architecture critic. Some of you seem to want someone who only talks up development in the city, who unfailingly praises every project or building. In other words, a cheerleader, not a critic. Others seem to want someone who writes long-form criticism for obscure architectural journals, i.e. for architects rather than your average reader of a daily city paper with an interest in architecture and development.

I don't always agree with Inga, but I absolutely respect what she's doing, which is elevating the level of discourse about development and architecture in this city. Her basic mission is to advocate for dense urban sophisticated architecture built with quality materials that makes the city a better place to live, work, & play. Who can disagree with that?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
No one is in near total agreement with everything she's ever typed. The anti-Inga faction can get so irrational that it is positively mystifying. She's been accused of the goofiest stuff - of being anti-Philadelphia, of being anti-development, of being anti-height, of being anti-density. The truth is she's the opposite of all that. She's clearly pro-Philadelphia, clearly pro-development, clearly unafraid of height, and as pro-density as anyone else out there.

I'm not sure what some of you want in your architecture critic. Some of you seem to want someone who only talks up development in the city, who unfailingly praises every project or building. In other words, a cheerleader, not a critic. Others seem to want someone who writes long-form criticism for obscure architectural journals, i.e. for architects rather than your average reader of a daily city paper with an interest in architecture and development.

I don't always agree with Inga, but I absolutely respect what she's doing, which is elevating the level of discourse about development and architecture in this city. Her basic mission is to advocate for dense urban sophisticated architecture built with quality materials that makes the city a better place to live, work, & play. Who can disagree with that?
I'm not registering an opinion. I just think we need to start a dedicated Inga thread. I came here looking for more "musical holes" pictures of the W site.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I came here looking for more "musical holes" pictures of the W site.
It's like the diggers are playing a really slow game of whack-a-mole.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:19 PM

I'm interested to find out how the construction crew props up that conduit on the Chestnut Street side since it's inside the retaining wall.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Lets see what Inga says about this building- I'm sure she will find fault and talk about cheap materials, lack of ground floor retail space, etc. Its always something.
Quote:
never said her job is like everything. Not sure how you got that impression. But I am saying that disliking almost everything that is proposed or built gets old and reduced credibility after a while. If you don't like ANYTHING (except for buildings in other cities) than why would local architects or developers value your opinion or aspire to get your endorsement? Her tone and the fact that she pans almost everything built in this city are a key factor in why it appears so little of what she is saying is really valued by those who design and fund development in Philly.
Quote:
I am always amazed at how people take her opinions as some sort of gospel when she doesn't have a background in architecture or construction. She's a good writer who happened to stumble into a relatively prominent role as an architecture critic. Someone with a background in design would have a better grasp on the compromises and decisions that go into designing a building- especially when there are so many competing interests in an dense urban environment.
Are you seriously bitching about Inga in a thread about a building she hasn't even commented on, based on your hypothetical imaginings of her future comments? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Are you seriously bitching about Inga in a thread about a building she hasn't even commented on, based on your hypothetical imaginings of her future comments? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Ya, I don't get what the issue is with her. If you don't like what she has to say, don't read her. She's really not particularly negative for a critic, at all. I find she has really thoughtful things to say (like a lot of people on this forum who don't have backgrounds in architecture or planning), and to me it seems she has raised consciousness in the city about design because so many people read her who otherwise would not think as deeply about design issues.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 2:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for that. I will follow your lead going forward. As someone said in regards to Inga- if have such an issue with what was said dont' read it and move on. Not sure how such a minor comment requires and F-bomb laden response. Relax, its not that serious. Inga has saved Philadelphia- I got it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 2:24 PM

My last post on this, so as not to derail the thread more than it has already been derailed.

Quote:
Yes, yes he is. Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Ya, I don't get what the issue is with her. If you don't like what she has to say, don't read her. She's really not particularly negative for a critic, at all. I find she has really thoughtful things to say (like a lot of people on this forum who don't have backgrounds in architecture or planning), and to me it seems she has raised consciousness in the city about design because so many people read her who otherwise would not think as deeply about design issues.
I wouldn't be coming to check out this site every day if not for Inga. I wouldn't know who Jane Jacobs was or what a caisson is, and my understanding of what constitutes good design and development would be far more limited. She's done an excellent job of getting a lot of people in this town thinking about these issues.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
My last post on this, so as not to derail the thread more than it has already been derailed.

Yes, yes he is. Amazing, isn't it?

I wouldn't be coming to check out this site every day if not for Inga. I wouldn't know who Jane Jacobs was or what a caisson is, and my understanding of what constitutes good design and development would be far more limited. She's done an excellent job of getting a lot of people in this town thinking about these issues.
well I suppose that is why different people value her in different ways. Aside from mentioning historical facts about existing buildings, there isn't much I've learned from her articles. I mainly look at them to find out about projects have havent been publically announced yet. I find her understanding of construction means and methods to be limited- but if she has informed some people that is truly great.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I am one of the people defending Inga, but I have to say, coming onto a forum with under 20 posts to your name and flipping out on another poster like this is not cool.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:28 PM

We interrupt Inga Fest to request more photos of hole digging at 15th and Chestnut.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
We interrupt Inga Fest to request more photos of hole digging at 15th and Chestnut.
Maybe DomoDeez can help. I'm not in Philly today.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Renderings posted on Cope Linder's website:

http://www.cope-linder.com/project/c...ew/hospitality
I know this is redundant,(please forgive me), BUT this is just a reminder of how fabulous this building will be! (Plus it's better than arguing about you know who)
I sometime gaze at it for 10 minutes at a time. It's so chic. The design is perfect. NOW, if they can only get the hole dug to start building this "Beauty"

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I am one of the people defending Inga, but I have to say, coming onto a forum with under 20 posts to your name and flipping out on another poster like this is not cool.
You may be right, but I felt it needed to be said. The Inga bashing in these forums is a little sickening. There is never any substance. I think a pointed rebuttal to one of her articles would make for good discussion, but around here it's generally just ad hominem attacks. It's now spilled into a thread that in no way involves her and has managed to pull the entire thread off topic. There is something seriously wrong with that.

There are times when a quick metaphorical slap is the best way to get a point across. Apologies for any offense.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 12:36 PM

Aug 19:

Aug 21:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 3:58 PM

Drill, baby, drill!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:05 PM

Last edited by Larry King; Nov 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive