HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:11 PM

We have two trolls now?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:35 PM
Closed account

Gotta love how a discussion about a place that is a known problem instantly becomes about race, income or snobbery. Notice how neither myself or anyone else has made complaints about McDonalds, literally a block over and a block up. Why? Because McDonalds doesn't have the repeated and well documented problems that Wendy's does.

Comical.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:44 PM

Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
We have two trolls now?
Just following the flow of the conversation. I thought I was on Philly.com for a second

Do any retailers typically open locations next to the W hotel's in other cities? That might give us some insight as to what to expect to move in.

Oh crap, there's a McDonald's within a block of the one in NYC and 2 blocks from the one in DC. There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited by Baconboy007; Jun 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM. Reason: added research

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:54 PM

To clarify the mcdonalds on walnut does cause trouble too. I'm sure if you put an intersecting subway stop at the next intersection the block would turn into a micro ghetto as well.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:03 PM
Closed account

Quote:
To clarify the mcdonalds on walnut does cause trouble too. I'm sure if you put an intersecting subway stop at the next intersection the block would turn into a micro ghetto as well.
I agree that there is issues with that McDonald's, but it stems more from Wisper being right there and the issues involved with late night drunkenness. While I don't like that either, I think it is easy to predict the problems vs. Wendy's which has consistent troubles during all hours of the day.

My entire point is the place causes a lot of trouble and a corner so close to so many nice things shouldn't be this much of an issue. I have no problem with fast food in the city or people getting a burger. I just think it is a shame to have visitors and people living in the surrounding area deal with these problems when the remedy is pretty simple.

With that said, I am happy that WF is moving in its spot. As a customer and resident right nearby it will make my life very convenient.

Regarding the timeline for the W. My buddy lives nearby as well and we were talking about it and it seems like 1 year for the build is quick. Is this normal or a function of being in a rather confined area and the necessity of a quick build?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:22 PM

Here's a picture of some soil sample taking this morning.

IMG_20140611_095754 by j o s e f, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I'm new, never posted under other name.
Shoosh. Glad you're not randomuser. Now I can freely rag on Delco without worrying about getting beat up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:25 PM
BANNED

The RFP document indicated they expect to start construction by September 1. Before then I presume it will go to CDR and there will be full renderings, etc. This has been a long time coming after the failed 1441 chestnut proposals.

I do wonder how they are going to be able to book repeat clients once they find out riots break out at wendy's every week. I cant tell you how many times Ive been nearly attacked walking by 15th and chestnut over the years. Literally ZERO times out of my hundreds of pass bys.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
micro ghetto? Is that any area where you see too many people that don't seem like the CC resident demographic in one place?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Gotta love how a discussion about a place that is a known problem instantly becomes about race, income or snobbery. Notice how neither myself or anyone else has made complaints about McDonalds, literally a block over and a block up. Why? Because McDonalds doesn't have the repeated and well documented problems that Wendy's does.

Comical.
The first person to mention race in this discussion was yourself, when you accused others of "race baiting."

The funny thing is, I think that Wendy's is a dump and would more than happy if it just disappeared. Especially considering the nearby high end development and an ever improving Chestnut St corridor.

Yourself and Mike Nigh were not the only ones pining for the disappearance of the Wendy's. Others however managed to impart their views about the Wendys without sounding like elitist racists like you two did with such ease and panache. I imagine that is why multiple people took issue with your posts and Mikenighs post, while every other post about getting rid of the Wendys caused zero controversy. For normal people, it is very rare to ever be accused of being a racist. If you constantly find yourself accused of being one, you should probably reconsider your viewpoint that others are "race baiting" and think a bit on why things you say sound so racist.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:58 PM
Closed account

I guess saying how Wendy's is a spot for trouble and where flash mobs have congregated is racist now. In none of my posts did I mention race, income or anything of the sort. I discussed students and young kids being unruly. It was other posters that alluded to income level and race as being the motive.

I don't find people calling me racist because I am not. That corner is and has been an issue and I simply want something nicer in its place. You're free to interpret my posts however you want, but if you are going to call someone racist how about you back it up with a quote I made mentioning race or anything of the sort.

You can't which makes saying something like that kind of a dick thing to do.

IMO, I like reading about and discussing development in this city, but if this is how stuff like this is going to be handled on this forum I will simply bow out. Not worth the time or trouble when posters attack others like this. It is distasteful.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 11:31 PM

Wink

Quote:
The RFP document indicated they expect to start construction by September 1. Before then I presume it will go to CDR and there will be full renderings, etc. This has been a long time coming after the failed 1441 chestnut proposals.

I do wonder how they are going to be able to book repeat clients once they find out riots break out at wendy's every week. I cant tell you how many times Ive been nearly attacked walking by 15th and chestnut over the years. Literally ZERO times out of my hundreds of pass bys.
Very nice! Thanks for the info. I'm excited for this project. The design is amazing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 1:56 AM

STFU already with these ridiculous arguments. This forum has seriously devolved the past few weeks. Who is moderating this thing anyway?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:08 AM

I agree. Wtf has gotten into you guys? This thread and the Philly Development thread are out of control right now. Can we stop and get back on topic please? Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 5:46 PM
BANNED

i think people have to decide if they are here to talk about development and buildings or to vent about their frustration with being forced to share CC with demographics they see as less than desirable. It seems to me a few people are using development as an opening to express their disdain for people who don't look like them or fit into their socioeconomic class. One has to wonder how anyone can be a champion of urban areas while simultaneously pining for the demographics of a gated exurban luxury development.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
One has to wonder how anyone can be a champion of urban areas while simultaneously pining for the demographics of a gated exurban luxury development.
So what do you think of CCRA's proposal to build a Chinese-style wall with patrols along Diamond Street, 49th Street, and Moore Street?

I have mixed feelings, but it might mean fewer Popeye's downtown.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:00 PM
Closed account

I support getting this back on the topic of development. I apologize for expressing my opinion that the Wendy's on Chestnut is a problem spot and bad for the area. I never ONCE made mention of race in any post and I think it is bullshit that it is being brought up. I think large groups of kids or any race causing trouble right next to city hall, the Ritz and other high end apartment buildings is detrimental to the city and area.

Furthermore, everyone but a few posters are talking about development. Do we not routinely discuss retailers coming and going? Is Wendy's not relevant when talking about the W, the 15th and Chestnut building being rehabed, the clean up of Chestnut street? Everyone was having a fine discussion about this until posters started talking about race as if that was ever mentioned once in this thread.

I am all for moving on with this conversation, I just find it pretty insulting to have certain posters basically insinuate things that were never said or relevant. One can think that Wendy's is a problem without being racist.

As a CC resident and someone who lives near Chestnut I would love to see it become more like Walnut. The city being a) perceived safe and b) actually safe has led many individuals to move back into the city. This has caused new building, restaurants, a night life, etc. I fail to see the issue with wanting this to continue.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
So what do you think of CCRA's proposal to build a Chinese-style wall with patrols along Diamond Street, 49th Street, and Moore Street?

I have mixed feelings, but it might mean fewer Popeye's downtown.
Escape from North Philly (NYC)

The irony is in the 80s movie escape from NY sort of went with a moniker that NY (manhattan in this example) was getting so bad they just walled it off and made it a prison

Man how images changed on that front for manhattan and NYC in the crime sense

trailer is funny - loved that movie though was cult viewing in my home with my father

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LDW7tWwAI

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Escape from North Philly (NYC)

The irony is in the 80s movie escape from NY sort of went with a moniker that NY (manhattan in this example) was getting so bad they just walled it off and made it a prison

Man how images changed on that front for manhattan and NYC in the crime sense

trailer is funny - loved that movie though was cult viewing in my home with my father

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-LDW7tWwAI
It was waaaay better than the sequel. All those 70s/80s dystopian movies showed the inner cities as crime ridden wastelands. I mean I guess remember what Philly looked like in the early 90s, I can see how screenwriters were predicting that. But now it seems like the opposite is happening. Crime is cropping up in the suburbs and the inner cities are turning into elite islands. I hope Philadelphia manages to retain its socioeconomic diversity while making it safer at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
i think people have to decide if they are here to talk about development and buildings or to vent about their frustration with being forced to share CC with demographics they see as less than desirable.
We are here to talk about development. End of story. You can take your social commentary and unfounded allegations of racism against some long-time contributors elsewhere .... they certainly won't be missed on THIS forum. Ciao.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive