HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 2:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I allllways loved frost growing up. Keep the shades, but maybe add new shiny glass
I respectfully suggest that you go inside the building, look out the windows with its heavily obstructed views (both above from the bars and below from the three or so feet of floor plate sticking out farther than the window panes), and come back out and have the same opinion. It's similar to what I imagine the obstructed views inside Shanghai Tower to be, although not as bad.

Shanghai Tower obstructed views

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/enhQDUiDrv4/maxresdefault.jpg

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 3:52 PM

Good point! I recall loving Reunion tower in the 90's until I went up and saw the "views" lol.

Bugged the shit out of me as a kid. They just look so so good!!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

I've never been up Reunion Tower, but yeah, I see what you mean (no pun intended).

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...nion-tower.jpg

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I've never been up Reunion Tower, but yeah, I see what you mean (no pun intended).
Lol. Yeah, 9 year old me was not having it. Well, I hope they utilize them somehow...maybe even shave off a few bars for a compromise hehe.

I am very excited to see what they do with it in '22. Old Frost deserves some TLC and modernizations.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread? It's like the total opposite of what happens in Austin.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 4:28 AM

I really had to do some clicking to find this nugget to hold you guys over. Looks like GrayStreet tried to get this hand painted mural approved for the side of the Kress building. I only say "tried" because I was too lazy to look up and see if this has been heard for approval by HDRC. The document shows that the city isn't concerned with the mural itself but more with the type of paint and if it it will damage the brick. The artist is a local by the name of Rudy Herrera.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I really had to do some clicking to find this nugget to hold you guys over. Looks like GrayStreet tried to get this hand painted mural approved for the side of the Kress building. I only say "tried" because I was too lazy to look up and see if this has been heard for approval by HDRC. The document shows that the city isn't concerned with the mural itself but more with the type of paint and if it it will damage the brick. The artist is a local by the name of Rudy Herrera.

That looks cool. HDRC staff recommends approval so it will likely pass.

Last edited by Spoiler; Dec 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 9:32 AM

The restoration of the Dalkowitz Building (107 N Flores) is complete. This is another Weston project. Following are some before and after pics, all taken from the HDRC agenda of 12/16.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:11 PM

That reno looks great. If Weston is involved with a project, I don't think we will ever have to worry about quality.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
That reno looks great. If Weston is involved with a project, I don't think we will ever have to worry about quality.

Absolutely correct!!!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 2:09 AM

yes, it looks great! The have up lighting on top of the covered walk way that shines up on the building at night. However, I wish they would aim the lights so that illuminate more of the upper portion of the building rather than the glass blocks above the covered walkway.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:51 PM

This project is on the new HDRC agenda. I count 17 apartments (with seven in the basement, which is really interesting to me, as a lifelong Texan I am fascinated by basements), ground floor retail and rooftop bar/restaurant. Pretty impressive renovation, really maximizing the building's potential. I also learned that this building was built in 1914 to house the San Antonio Light, which they moved out of a couple decades later.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
This project is on the new HDRC agenda. I count 17 apartments (with seven in the basement, which is really interesting to me, as a lifelong Texan I am fascinated by basements), ground floor retail and rooftop bar/restaurant. Pretty impressive renovation, really maximizing the building's potential. I also learned that this building was built in 1914 to house the San Antonio Light, which they moved out of a couple decades later.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
And you can see the Light building that they moved into in the background, coincidentally under renovation.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:50 PM

March move-in planned for San Antonio’s newly renovated City Hall

"Nearly three years after vacating City Hall, many of its occupants soon will be returning. City officials say its $40.8 million renovation is nearing completion – more than a year behind schedule."

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...-move-planned/

City Hall is a weird-looking building due to a renovation in the 1920s that added a fourth floor, tried to change the aesthetic style, and destroyed many of the building's original features. Now it's a bizarre hybrid of styles with an unbalanced, unfinished look due to the changes made to the roof. Here's how it looked before:

https://www.expressnews.com/150years...#photo-7413198

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:38 PM

Such a shame that the building has been so preverted.

Last edited by kingkirbythe....; Feb 3, 2021 at 3:58 PM. Reason: Fucking autocorrect

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:57 AM

(Photo from San Antonio Conservation Society on Texas Time Travel)

(Photo by Michael Barera on Wikimedia Commons)

Preservation purists might howl, but I would happily see a restoration of the original roofline with its dome, cupolas, and turrets, along with the original entry porches. The removal of the misbegotten fourth floor maligning the historicist architecture will mean some offices will just need some belt tightening or can go to the refurbished City Tower or the currently temporarily occupied Plaza de Armas Building.

Actually, re-detailing Military Plaza, the square into which the 1889 city hall was built, back into an urban plaza could be a worthwhile plan for the future. A resurrected Plaza de Armas re-inspired by those of sister cities of colonial Mexico and more strongly connected as a square to San Fernando Cathedral and Main Plaza at its front and to the Spanish Governor's Palace behind. Perhaps we can one day allow again the former chili queens and open air markets that were displaced by the city hall.

(Postcard by the Rotograph Co. on The Alamo City)

Yikes, I hadn't even realized how undermined and forgotten our civic axis connecting Main Plaza, San Fernando Cathedral, and Military Plaza with City Hall was until seeing that postcard.

Last edited by Hindentanic; Feb 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 10:34 PM

The restored Witte Building with finished public elevator/stairwell. It looks amazing! The front facade is beautifully and completely restored (also shown is some new building on the right).

"In 2015, with Hill as the building’s new owner, the HDRC approved restoration plans that included reconstructing the south facade, balcony and canopy additions, demolition of a retaining wall and walkway, and adding an elevator tower and staircase for public access to the River Walk."

https://sanantonioreport.org/canopy-...itte-building/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 9:46 PM
Registered User?

That is indeed fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Stunning!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Stunning!

There are 4 small studio apartments on the 3rd floor if anyone is looking for a downtown pied a terre. You can post daily pics of the Floodgate construction while you sit on your balcony overlooking the River, drinking your coffee in the morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio