HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:59 PM
James

^^^ We aren't allowed to share them right now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:48 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Huh? Come on!

Hasn't this already gone before city governmental entities? I assume renderings were involved. If so, that should be public domain.

Geez. This is too exciting to keep in your back pocket. And, why make an announcement with no renderings? It's not like there is a lot of competition out there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I just noticed that they aren't in the thread anymore. Yeah, guess we will see them once they go in front of HDRC. Let's be real, their approval is mere formality, i don't anticipate there would be any major pushback. That said, the building could use a few design enhancements and a little more height to pop it over 400' would be great.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:40 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I just noticed that they aren't in the thread anymore. Yeah, guess we will see them once they go in front of HDRC. Let's be real, their approval is mere formality, i don't anticipate there would be any major pushback. That said, the building could use a few design enhancements and a little more height to pop it over 400' would be great.
Email them with a petition for a spire. haha

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:43 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

All I can say is the renderings were removed at the request of the developer and also, those were not the final renderings. There will be changes to the design before it is presented to the HDRC.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
All I can say is the renderings were removed at the request of the developer and also, those were not the final renderings. There will be changes to the design before it is presented to the HDRC.

I assumed they weren't final so I'm excited to see the updated design. Any hunches on when this one will hit HDRC? THeir next next planned meetings are 12/2, 12/16, 1/20, 2/3.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:10 AM
Meh

I haven't seen the renderings, yet, through public channels - meaning, through the city, but hopefully, that changes soon. Then it's game on for posting them. I'm also hoping we get to see the elevations to have good info on the heights. There's a chance it might even be taller than 393 feet. The reason I say that is building heights that are submitted to the city, at least in Austin anyway, tend to omit mechanical penthouses because mechanical penthouses are exempt from height variances. So the stated height sometimes is only to the main roof. If that's the case, then it would almost be guaranteed to be a 400 footer. The Thompson Hotel & Residences ended up being much taller than we thought because of that reason. I remember the first height we were hearing was 273 feet with 19 floors, but as soon as we saw the elevations, they showed it as 314 feet with 20 floors. I don't know that the increase would be that much with this building, but it would probably be enough to put it over 400 feet by a few feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I haven't seen the renderings, yet, through public channels - meaning, through the city, but hopefully, that changes soon. Then it's game on for posting them. I'm also hoping we get to see the elevations to have good info on the heights. There's a chance it might even be taller than 393 feet. The reason I say that is building heights that are submitted to the city, at least in Austin anyway, tend to omit mechanical penthouses because mechanical penthouses are exempt from height variances. So the stated height sometimes is only to the main roof. If that's the case, then it would almost be guaranteed to be a 400 footer. The Thompson Hotel & Residences ended up being much taller than we thought because of that reason. I remember the first height we were hearing was 273 feet with 19 floors, but as soon as we saw the elevations, they showed it as 314 feet with 20 floors. I don't know that the increase would be that much with this building, but it would probably be enough to put it over 400 feet by a few feet.

Good to know, here's hoping on the 400'+. Speaking of the Thompson, what are your thoughts on the building? There are elements I really like and others not so much (mainly the southside elevation with the huge blank walk and sliver windows).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:32 PM

Good lord I need a render! Hoping and praying for a spire of some kind or something that compliments Tower Life

I'm such a broken record with my pointy architectural obsession.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

I hope the redesign is an improvement because the one we saw was dark, bland and boring.

I did like its height of course, and the fact that it wasn't all glass. I like to be able to see each floor in a tall building because that accentuates the visual perception of its height. But otherwise there wasn't much to like about it. It looked like a 32-story prison.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Good lord I need a render! Hoping and praying for a spire of some kind or something that compliments Tower Life

I'm such a broken record with my pointy architectural obsession.
Yes, a legitimate spire. not a red & white pole to bounce radio signals off of like Tower of the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I hope the redesign is an improvement because the one we saw was dark, bland and boring.

I did like its height of course, and the fact that it wasn't all glass. I like to be able to see each floor in a tall building because that accentuates the visual perception of its height. But otherwise there wasn't much to like about it. It looked like a 32-story prison.
I mean, prison might be a little much Yes, it could use some redesign but it sounds like that its already in process. The crew at Weston Urban is pretty solid. I'm thinking whatever they go with will be a quality add.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:43 PM
Paradise

I personally would like a little more glass, but I wouldn’t be mad if the project was built in with the design we originally saw.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
I personally would like a little more glass, but I wouldn’t be mad if the project was built in with the design we originally saw.
I hope they go with some nice exterior lighting for night. Also, if Jack really wants to call a building a prison, he need look no further than the Wyndham Riverwalk nearby. That building wins my vote for ugliest tall structure in downtown San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I hope they go with some nice exterior lighting for night. Also, if Jack really wants to call a building a prison, he need look no further than the Wyndham Riverwalk nearby. That building wins my vote for ugliest tall structure in downtown San Antonio.
I mean, it's not pretty, but it's a converted office building from the '50s so I cut it some slack. There are downtown hotels that are way uglier than that, even Riverwalk hotels. Like the Embassy Suites at Houston and Soledad. Its street-level facades are so ugly and careless it's like a raised middle finger.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4264...4!8i8192?hl=en

Or the Westin Riverwalk, a hulking slab of cheap-looking, minimal classical motifs without any thought of scale or context.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4237...4!8i8192?hl=en

Then there's the Holiday Inn Express on Cameron, a hotel that literally is a former prison. It looks nice!
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4258...4!8i8192?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
Good to know, here's hoping on the 400'+. Speaking of the Thompson, what are your thoughts on the building? There are elements I really like and others not so much (mainly the southside elevation with the huge blank walk and sliver windows).
There are things I like about it and things I don't. It's modern and something different for San Antonio's skyline, and I like that. I like that it complements the Marriott Rivercenter and Grand Hyatt. It also appears to be a different building from every view. There's probably no other building like that in San Antonio other than the Nix Professional Building where it appears to be a different building. I like the color of the Thompson Hotel & Residences, but sometimes the blockiness of it bugs me. And the big windows that seem oddly spaced. Overall, I'd say I like it, but I think the Marriott Rivercenter is still safe as my favorite modern San Antonio skyscraper.

While we're on the subject of spires, I think it would have been a good candidate for one. Either on the high end of the mechanical penthouse or on the end with the "glass cone" up the facade to carry up that line.

theOGalexd's photo in his last post on this page shows off how a spire would have looked good on this building with the Tower Life Building flagpole poking up behind it.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...03#post9042103

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 8:40 PM
James

San Antonio: 32-Story Residence Tower Proposed Next to Geekdom

Looks like Virtual Box has the massing for it! I love how this looks. Hopefully, from those early renderings we saw, the massing doesn't change to look like this. I liked that it didn't take up the full block.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 10:15 PM

This project will be a HUGE impact to the San Antonio skyline!!!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 2:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Looks like Virtual Box has the massing for it! I love how this looks. Hopefully, from those early renderings we saw, the massing doesn't change to look like this. I liked that it didn't take up the full block.
That massing looks to be about 420 feet. If that's correct and it's not just a spire, it would have a big impact on the skyline.

The site plan shows two buildings, so the 32-story building will only take up the north half of the block.

https://www.virtualbx.com/wp-content...d_siteplan.jpg

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:15 PM
Meh

Quote:

That isn't an official massing model, it's just Google Earth's polygon feature, which tends to make buildings look blocky. There isn't a way to create curves with that feature or do much varying of designs when angles are concerned. I do my best with my Google Earth polygon models, but it's not the most versatile medium. It is good at the accuracy of showing the height of something and giving a general sense of scope.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:07 PM

is it me or do the Robert E. Less apartments look extremely small compared to the massing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio