HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 2:33 PM

Given the military I'm surprised Frankfurt isn't their #1 target, but London makes sense as far as access to the rest of Europe.

Exciting times for SA! Hope this happens.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Given the military I'm surprised Frankfurt isn't their #1 target, but London makes sense as far as access to the rest of Europe.

I understand the Frankfurt/military thought. I had a friend in the army who was in Frankfurt. My guess is that it's largely because so many flights from the US land in Heathrow, where many connections can be made. Language could be another reason. In San Antonio most people speak English, but a not so small percentage speak Spanish as their primary language, so adding German into the mix would create an extra layer of difficulty. But I think the Heathrow connections issue is the main driver.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 7:35 PM

runway extensions,

This "land constraint" is exactly the last thing about extending the runways, I'd heard too. That there simply was not any more airport property to extend the runways onto.[QUOTE=theOGalexd;9740438]Oh damn this is this first I've heard of a new ATC tower and runway expansion.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 9:28 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post

This is about economic development - thus, London makes the most since. London ranks just behind New York as one of the World's economic engines. Frankfurt is up there. But, it's not in the Top 15.

One small task of this new office will be to secure a direct link to Europe from SAT. However, again, this is more about boosting economic opportunities on both sides of The Pond.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 2:59 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Nice little update on the 3 additional new gates as well as contracts for Terminal C.

In time for holiday travel, two new gates set to open at San Antonio airport

Quote:
In November 2021, the City Council approved the plan to build a new terminal at the airport and make a handful of other significant improvements that were outlined in a 20-year Strategic Development Plan.

The work toward selecting contractors for those projects is moving forward with several other projects already done, Saenz said. In June, the council approved a $3.8 million contract with architecture firm Corgan for planning Terminal C, which is expected to be completed by 2028.

Through a recent solicitation process, aviation officials also have selected the San Antonio-based team of engineering consultants Freese and Nichols as the project manager and construction manager overseeing the building of the additional terminal at the airport. The selection is pending a City Council vote in December.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:51 PM

Just a quick blurb on SAT's Insta over the weekend that Alaska is going to twice daily on the Seattle route starting in February.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Just a quick blurb on SAT's Insta over the weekend that Alaska is going to twice daily on the Seattle route starting in February.
I've been on a few direct flights to and from Alsaka to Sea-Tac and it is always full. Glad to see another route added.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 4:02 PM

Spirit Airlines began nonstop service to Orlando and Las Vegas today. They also announced daily nonstop service to both Baltimore and Fort Lauderdale beginning March 8, 2023. Nice to see a return of daily service to FLL.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301680904.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Spirit Airlines began nonstop service to Orlando and Las Vegas today. They also announced daily nonstop service to both Baltimore and Fort Lauderdale beginning March 8, 2023. Nice to see a return of daily service to FLL.

I wouldn't fly Spirit on a flight any longer than 90 minutes. It's cramped, they charge extra for water (last time I flew them anyway), and so many other cattle car reasons.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post

I hope once jetblue takes over, these will turn into mainline routes with jetblue aircraft configs. One can hope. At least keep the FLL route, its just dumb SA hasn't had a daily there... ever.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:31 AM

Quote:
I hope once jetblue takes over, these will turn into mainline routes with jetblue aircraft configs. One can hope. At least keep the FLL route, its just dumb SA hasn't had a daily there... ever.
Spirit interiors go completely away and JetBlue interiors come in. If the merger is approved, JetBlue will have a sweet 6 destination operation out of SAT. Would be great if they eventually add LAX with the large Spirit operation there.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:09 PM

SAT posted on its IG page this morning that passenger traffic during the month of October was at 892,398 which is 99.6% of the same month in 2019. I think with the addition of Spirit's two additional routes this month, we could very well see a surpassing of of 2019 levels for the month of November given that it seems one of the airports main problems all along has been airlines not adding capacity.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:31 PM

Complete agreement,

I used to fly Spirit exclusively because of the unbelievable pricing they have. However. The last time I flew an unbelievable backache developed
and now I refuse to go with Spirit Airlines ever again. Next- they would like for people to bring their own folding chairs onto flights.
I'll pay the extra for more civilized accommodations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I wouldn't fly Spirit on a flight any longer than 90 minutes. It's cramped, they charge extra for water (last time I flew them anyway), and so many other cattle car reasons.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:23 PM

Latest from SAT's Instagram is that it was the airports 'busiest Thanksgiving travel period ever'. I suspect at least for the month of November that SAT will finally surpass 2019's November numbers.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Latest from SAT's Instagram is that it was the airports 'busiest Thanksgiving travel period ever'. I suspect at least for the month of November that SAT will finally surpass 2019's November numbers.
I saw that. Believe the news said they had over 347,000 people compared to like 319,000 for 2019 thanksgiving

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:33 PM

It's paywalled, but here's a largish snippet from the SA biz journal article out today.

Here's what’s next for San Antonio’s $2.5B airport expansion

Quote:
“We're in the final stages of the advanced terminal planning that we launched earlier this year,” said Jesus Saenz, director of airports for the San Antonio Airport System.

The plan should be completed by the end of the year, Saenz said. Terminal C anchors the first phase of the airport expansion, with its cost projected earlier this year to approach $950 million.

Once completed, Terminal C could house as many as 17 new gates. As that project is part of a larger plan involving multiple elements undergoing separate planning, construction may not begin before 2024.Planners need to get terminal design work to a certain stage so they can then seek necessary Federal Aviation Administration and environmental approvals. That process will likely take the better part of a year.

City officials also have to decide on a project delivery plan, which could include a construction management or design/build team overseeing the brick-and-mortar work.

In May, the city beefed up its executive team to help guide the airport planning and development process. Among the additions was Tim O’Krongley, deputy aviation director for the San Antonio Airport System. He’s overseeing planning, design and construction for the project, including the new terminal.

Some construction work on other parts of the airport expansion will occur much sooner.

“In the next 30 to 60 days, we're going to open up three new gates,” Saenz said. “We'll add one gate in Terminal A and two gates in Terminal B.”

Soon after, airport officials expect work will begin on a new ground-loading facility in Terminal A. That project will include as many as five new gates and is now expected to be completed by the middle of next year.

“That will get us to approximately 30 to 32 gates,” Saenz said.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 5:26 PM

Major CIP update posted to SAT's website for December. Includes status updates for Runway expansion, Term C, and ground load gates.

CIP Update PDF

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Major CIP update posted to SAT's website for December. Includes status updates for Runway expansion, Term C, and ground load gates.

CIP Update PDF
thx for sharing!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 7:12 PM

new non-stop

Kansas City Business Journal reporting that Southwest is adding non-stop flights between Kansas City International and San Antonio International.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...n-antonio.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Kansas City Business Journal reporting that Southwest is adding non-stop flights between Kansas City International and San Antonio International.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...n-antonio.html
Is there not one already? Looks like it says it's seasonal on Wikipedia but maybe that's not accurate. I'm pretty sure there used to be a direct there several years ago on SW. Either way, the more the merrier when it comes to directs out of SAT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio