HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:08 PM

During the 2015 Cubs Convention it was announced that the Wrigley Field bleachers won’t open until at least May 11.

Quote:
The left-field bleachers won’t open until May 11 at the earliest while late May is the target for the right-field bleachers, according to Crane Kenney, the Cubs president of business operations. Safety issues will prevent the center-field section from being open before May 11.

There are about 5,500 bleacher seats, which includes the additional seats in the renovation.

About 2,000 season ticket holders will be affected by the delay. They can receive a full refund for home games up to May 11, receive a credit for those games before May 11 or have their seats relocated to the grandstand for home games before May 11.

The Cubs couldn’t place a steel order for the bleachers until they received approval from local authorities because Wrigley Field is under landmark status. The steel earmarked for the bleachers is expected to arrive early next month, Kenney said.

The temperature must be 35 or above for about 28 days before bolts, railings and safety equipment can be installed into the concrete in the bleachers. The right-field section will experience more delays because access to Sheffield Avenue was delayed by sewer work stemming from an old water main that took longer than expected to repair, Kenney said.

The new video board in left field will operate by the start of the regular season and feature up-to-date statistics of each player with replays and pitch speeds. The right-field board is scheduled to be ready by late May.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:31 PM

Just walked down Waveland. A good bit of steel is starting to go up.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:53 AM

Did they put the video board? Can I see a pictures? Please take a pictures.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Did they put the video board? Can I see a pictures? Please take a pictures.
Pictures are everywhere of the progress at Wrigley, here is probably the best blog for up to date photographs.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/wrigl...ld-renovations

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:23 AM

The steel going up along Waveland looks really good. You can really see the imapct that the new bleachers are going to have on Sheffield and Waveland. These streets are going to feel dramatically different when this is done. A lot more narrow.

Although, after a year of street closure the streets will feel pretty nice once completed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:42 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 11:11 PM
All-American City Boy

Man, Ulivieri always delivers.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:35 AM

What's the timeline for construction on the office building along Clark (across the street from Casey Moran's) and adjacent to the stadium?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 8:46 PM

Construction crews got their work cut out for them...

Per Danny Ecker during media tour of the renovations, RF video board WILL be delayed to late May or early June

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
What's the timeline for construction on the office building along Clark (across the street from Casey Moran's) and adjacent to the stadium?
It's listed for Phase II (2015-2016). The caretaker home (1923) won't return to it's left field corner gate probably until 2017 or 2018.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:13 PM
dream fast

3/16

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:14 PM
dream fast

3/16

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:15 PM
dream fast

3/16

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:04 PM

Could Wrigley Field renovations take longer than expected?

Quote:
The Wrigley Field renovations might take a little longer than initially planned.

According to a report from the Sun-Times, Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said Wednesday at a City Club of Chicago luncheon that the work going on at the corner of Clark and Addison could take up to a year longer than originally thought.

This from the Sun-Times' David Just:

“There will be four more years,” Ricketts said Wednesday after speaking at a City Club of Chicago luncheon. “The way we project it now is four more years of construction.”

Dennis Culloton, a spokesman for Ricketts, confirmed Wednesday evening that the project could very well bleed into a fifth offseason, one more than the original plan.

“That could still be the way it works out,” Culloton said of the original four-phase plan. “But it could take longer. Just take this winter for example, and we have found not only the problem with the weather but the water pipes that we had no control over. It could be four years, it could be five. It’s hard to say.”

Original planning has already proved to be wishful thinking in some cases, as it's already been announced that the famous Wrigley Field bleachers won't be ready for the first part of the upcoming baseball season. The construction has also been delayed thanks to weather, and the mayor's office denied the team's request for round-the-clock construction in Wrigleyville.

However, past the bleachers already known to still be under construction come first pitch against the Cardinals on April 5, the Cubs denied recent rumors that the park as a whole won't be ready for Opening Day 2015.

The new comments from Ricketts show that the entirety of the construction might not be done by Opening Day 2018.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
3/16
Where did this little building come from / where is it going? I'm not sure that I've seen it before.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:46 PM
Content provider

caretaker house referenced above

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:09 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Where did this little building come from / where is it going? I'm not sure that I've seen it before.
The caretaker house was moved from the Northwest corner, below the stands. Across from the Fire House.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:56 AM

Cool! Thanks. I guess I never noticed it glomed onto the side of the stadium.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:37 AM

Right field video board structure going up and concrete poured in left field bleachers. h/t Andy Masur

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:55 PM

I went to the game on Friday (no W sadly), and went in prepared to absolutely hate the video board in left field. I was convinced it was going to be obnoxious and distracting, running loud Budweiser commercials and silly games between innings.

But instead I was very impressed. Our seats on the 1st base line faced it directly, and what you see on TV doesn't do it justice. For a day game at least, it didn't look like a TV screen. It looked like a static painted wall. The green and white blended perfectly with the existing scoreboard. And except for replays it was completely static. No moving ads, just static pictures of the players with their stats. Not distracting at all, just like a regular billboard. Very clean and classy.

Not sure about night games, when the glow of the screen would be noticeable as opposed to in sunlight. Anyone have a night game experience?

My one complaint which does still hold is that it shouldn't have been bigger than the old scoreboard. Left field should have been the same size as the smaller one in right. But oh well.

P.S. One funny moment was when the Padres hit a homerun into the empty bleachers and the fans behind us were screaming "Throw it back! Why won't you throw it back?"

Last edited by aaron38; Apr 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development