HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The image seems to keep updating, so here's how it appears today, still has maybe 5 floord left til TO.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 5:35 PM
somewhere in-between

^ It's so jarring to see this (in a good way), after about a decade of being acclimated to just nothing. The civic arena was being demolished when I was wrapping up college there in 2012. That feels like a lifetime ago.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:55 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
I moved here right after they tore down the hideous stadium. I will always hate that stadium for helping to a certain extent destroy the exceptionally historic Lower Hill District and its beautiful mid 1800s buildings. However, they started destroying the Lower Hill in the mid 1930s, but the total destruction for the ugly stadium cemented the fate of urban renewal and the further destruction of all of the Hill.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
I moved here right after they tore down the hideous stadium. I will always hate that stadium for helping to a certain extent destroy the exceptionally historic Lower Hill District and its beautiful mid 1800s buildings. However, they started destroying the Lower Hill in the mid 1930s, but the total destruction for the ugly stadium cemented the fate of urban renewal and the further destruction of all of the Hill.
If that neighborhood still stood it would easily have been in the Top 10 most beautiful American neighborhoods, and Pittsburgh would be considered one of the country's great cities.

Not to derail this but we had our own version of that in Boston with the West End and Scollay Square, not to mention all the damage from the old elevated highway. This picture is enough to make one vomit.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vanhoosear/52669144383/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:50 PM

Looking forward to the facade to start. Should look pretty sleek

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:18 PM

Quote:
^
Agreed. Moving to Pittsburgh long after the Lower Hill was gone, I never gave it much thought. Seeing photos of what was there blew my mind. I felt an instant sense of tragic loss. Same thing regarding the (to me) useless Mall at Independence Hall in Philly. Old photos show a treasure trove of historic buildings mixed with industrial lofts. Would easily double the valuable real estate of Old City.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 8:21 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 8:29 PM

Downtown Pittsburgh would actually be a cool place if they never leveled the entire lower hill.

It was the only neighborhood directly connected to downtown... but it was demolished and severed via Crosstown Blvd. Its destruction is the primary reason downtown Pittsburgh has been dead for so long and will continue to be for some time.

Downtown Pittsburgh should have a much more vibrant atmosphere, more like Center City Philadelphia does... with its surrounding residential neighborhoods seamlessly integrating into its CBD... and stimulating development of more residential real estate within the CBD for many decades now.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:34 PM

Oof, those photos are sad. They make me think of the leveling of Cincinnati's West End for I-75, public housing projects, and a shitty light industrial park. I always kind of liked the old Melon Arena, but I didn't know it was built at the expense of such a dense and historic neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:53 PM

Taken by me this afternoon:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 3:30 AM

Great shot! Seems like it's moving pretty fast now.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 8:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

This tower being up on the Hill really makes a pretty good impact on the skyline, especially driving south on 28, I am not sure how much higher in elevation this tower is than the rest of downtown but from some views it appears taller than the Gulf Tower, which is 582ft tall.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 9:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:43 AM

I'm assuming the core is topped out?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:50 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
This tower being up on the Hill really makes a pretty good impact on the skyline, especially driving south on 28, I am not sure how much higher in elevation this tower is than the rest of downtown but from some views it appears taller than the Gulf Tower, which is 582ft tall.
Yeah, the view going into town from 28 really helps do a nice job with balancing out the abruptness of the US Steel being at the eastern periphery of downtown.

It also really stands out in the view coming across the Veterans Bridge, as well as when heading north on 579.

Due to its elevation on the hill, it should appear to be around the same height on the skyline as PNC Tower.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Some crappy phone photos I took today.

Untitled by PittsburghMarbles, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Some crappy phone photos I took today.

This thing really fills in the skyline view from the north quite nicely! No more abrupt drop off after US Steel looking eastward. Not to mention this thing is looking much higher than 420ft thanks to its location on the hill.

I drove by yesterday and noticed some cladding has started going up but I wasn't able to snag a pic.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:20 PM

"Construction worker falls at new FNB Tower in Uptown Pittsburgh"

https://triblive.com/local/construct...wn-pittsburgh/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 1:33 AM

[IMG]http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/2osXHMG][/url]Construction updates by William Pipkins, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction