HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:44 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens. The BCNA and Zilker NA are opposed to anything 'tall' south of the river to a degree that has long since crossed the line of sanity. And I mean that in complete seriousness. I've seen some of those people yell and scream about it to the point where you were sure their heads were about to go Scanners and explode. And I mean leaders of those organizations.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Great pics. Yeah, the 704 site is HUGE. The first time I went by there after they had cleared the site it caught me by surprise.
The 704 looks huge because it is long and flat, plus it has significant structured parking which many suburban apartments don't have. The only part that is built are portions of the parking garages so far. As for the commercial space, it's actually only 370+ apartments and 20,000 square feet of retail. Below are both the site plan and a recent aerial.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I wish they would tear down this Taco Cabana already. Here's the latest plan for the site. It needs a zoning change:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...w-grander.html
Updated article on this project:

Upscale apartments planned for Taco Cabana site
Developers promise “unique” project for high-profile tract
By Shonda Novak
American-Statesman Staff
February 22, 2013

Quote:
Pending a zoning change, developers plan to start construction this summer on an tower with 175 luxury apartments just south of downtown, on a site that now has a Taco Cabana restaurant.

[SNIP]

The case is set to go before the city’s Planning Commission March 12 and the City Council on March 28.

[SNIP]

The project would have eight stories of residential units above one level of retail, for a total of nine stories. In exchange for extra height and density, Drenner said, the project would provide a number of community benefits. Those would include having a large plaza, saving some mature trees on the site, and paying $420,000 into the city’s affordable housing fund.

The project also would include just over 9,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and other pedestrian-oriented uses, Drenner said. The building would open in late 2014 or early 2015, he said.
The article also noted that the north end of Bridges on the Park was intentionally built without windows or balconies knowing that another project would eventually be built on the adjacent site.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:14 PM

This was posted in the City Compilations thread, but it fits well here, too.

Apartment project with affordable rents planned for South Austin Goodwill site
By Shonda Novak
Austin American-Statesman
February 27, 2013

Quote:
Amid a sea of luxury apartments under construction on South Lamar Boulevard, Foundation Communities is planning an oasis of affordability — 109 inexpensive rentals in a pioneering project with Goodwill Industries of Central Texas.

Foundation Communities, a local nonprofit provider of affordable housing and support services, hopes to receive $10 million in federal tax credits to build the $15 million Skyview Studios at 2800 S. Lamar Blvd.

The project would be built on a site that houses a Goodwill retail store that is among Austin’s oldest and most popular. On the ground floor of its four-story building, Foundation Communities would build a new 14,000-square-foot Goodwill store that would include more parking — a total of 60 spaces — than the current location has. There would also be 30 spaces for apartment residents, most of whom are expected to not own cars.
That's actually a good location for people without cars. The #3, #331, & #338 are all close. The units would be small at about 400 SF each. Rents would run $400-$650 per month and include all utilities. Construction could begin in 2Q 2014 and take about a year to complete.

The Zilker Neighborhood Association supports the project because it brings affordable housing to the area, might help relieve traffic on S. Lamar because it won't be aimed at high-income car-dependent residents, and it would allow the S. Austin Goodwill to remain on the site.

The article has a rendering of the proposed development.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
This was posted in the City Compilations thread, but it fits well here, too.

Apartment project with affordable rents planned for South Austin Goodwill site
By Shonda Novak
Austin American-Statesman
February 27, 2013

That's actually a good location for people without cars. The #3, #331, & #338 are all close. The units would be small at about 400 SF each. Rents would run $400-$650 per month and include all utilities. Construction could begin in 2Q 2014 and take about a year to complete.

The Zilker Neighborhood Association supports the project because it brings affordable housing to the area, might help relieve traffic on S. Lamar because it won't be aimed at high-income car-dependent residents, and it would allow the S. Austin Goodwill to remain on the site.

The article has a rendering of the proposed development.
I like it would like to see more low-income projects like this. The easiest way to make apartments affordable is to make them smaller. Many people are willing to pay in a smaller place if they can live downtown or near it. However, so many of the new developments are not in the average person's income range.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I like it would like to see more low-income projects like this. The easiest way to make apartments affordable is to make them smaller. Many people are willing to pay in a smaller place if they can live downtown or near it. However, so many of the new developments are not in the average person's income range.
What makes this particular project "affordable" isn't the small size of the units, but over $10 Million dollar in federal tax credits and nearly $2 Million dollars from the city coffer.

I'm all for building smaller units as the market commands - but this project does not get built but-for very generous subsidies.

Also, I see a lot of people bemoaning luxury apartment buildings as if they are the reason for tight supplies and escalating rent. Those luxury units do as much or more to hold ameliorate or hold down rent increased as the "affordable" housing projects by bringing in desperately needed supply into the market. New supply at the top allows older units to filter down and help provide housing for lower income levels (not just the lottery winners at either end of the scale).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
The easiest way to make apartments affordable is to make them smaller.
Another way to make them more affordable is to supply less parking, like this particular project will. If you have a set amount of space for a development, the less space you have to devote to parking, the more space is left over for actual apartments.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What makes this particular project "affordable" isn't the small size of the units, but over $10 Million dollar in federal tax credits and nearly $2 Million dollars from the city coffer.

I'm all for building smaller units as the market commands - but this project does not get built but-for very generous subsidies.
That is unfortunately the way things work. However, Foundation Communities ( http://www.foundcom.org/ ) is an Austin-based non-profit and one of the most creative affordable housing developers you'll find. They work hard to get the most bang for those government dollars. Their developments aren't just stacked-box housing projects, either. They put thought into their designs and they make a point of including as many sustainability features as they can in their developments to try and keep energy costs down for the renters. They are the developers of Capital Studios (previously called Capital Terrace) at 11th and Trinity:

Capital Studios (frmrly Capitol Terrace) Statesman Article:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-plan-1/nRj98/

Capital Studios Website Info:
http://www.foundcom.org/news-and-events/capitalstudios/

In addition, they work hard to repurpose and redevelop floundering properties into housing. They took that empty Ramada Inn on Ben White and redeveloped it into an affordable housing community. They even installed solar panels to help with energy costs. That's a great example of creative reuse.

I'll get off my soapbox now. But I will say that almost all traditional developers won't venture into affordable housing because there is little or no profit in it. Add to that the paperwork, bureaucracy and long lag time just to get the government money, and it's a non-starter. The only way most developers will include affordable units in their residential projects is if the City or government mandates it. I love the luxury apartments as well and mostly agree with the rest of your statement, but everyone needs a place to live and without non-profits like Foundation Communities, very few options would exist for lower-income renters.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
That is unfortunately the way things work. However, Foundation Communities ( http://www.foundcom.org/ ) is an Austin-based non-profit and one of the most creative affordable housing developers you'll find. They work hard to get the most bang for those government dollars. Their developments aren't just stacked-box housing projects, either. They put thought into their designs and they make a point of including as many sustainability features as they can in their developments to try and keep energy costs down for the renters. They are the developers of Capital Studios (previously called Capital Terrace) at 11th and Trinity:

Capital Studios (frmrly Capitol Terrace) Statesman Article:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...-plan-1/nRj98/

Capital Studios Website Info:
http://www.foundcom.org/news-and-events/capitalstudios/

In addition, they work hard to repurpose and redevelop floundering properties into housing. They took that empty Ramada Inn on Ben White and redeveloped it into an affordable housing community. They even installed solar panels to help with energy costs. That's a great example of creative reuse.

I'll get off my soapbox now. But I will say that almost all traditional developers won't venture into affordable housing because there is little or no profit in it. Add to that the paperwork, bureaucracy and long lag time just to get the government money, and it's a non-starter. The only way most developers will include affordable units in their residential projects is if the City or government mandates it. I love the luxury apartments as well and mostly agree with the rest of your statement, but everyone needs a place to live and without non-profits like Foundation Communities, very few options would exist for lower-income renters.
I'm not attacking FC or this project - which looks to be an improvement over the existing strip mall. Certainly anything that helps South Lamar be more urban, more vibrant, more mixed use and more street oriented is a good thing in my book. And Dick Clark certainly does nice stuff (though that rendering is a bit odd).

All I'm saying is that 1. These "affordable" projects are only affordable because they are heavily subsidized and that the smaller units aren't really the factor here, and 2. the large number of luxury units do more to help the average renter than all the affordable projects in this town ever can by bringing in new supply and relieving the upward pressure on rental markets. They also happen to be fantastic at helping to transform South Lamar from a long stretch of blighted parking lots, adult book stores, auto shops and whatnot into a vibrant urban boulevard some day.

Traditional developers get a bad rap (not here, but elsewhere) for their luxury buildings (which are attacked with vehemence), but those luxury buildings are crucial to providing a ready supply for the increasingly hungry population who demands to live urban and is willing to pay for it. They field an incredibly complex bureaucracy and increasingly hostile neighborhood groups, not to mention bearing all the market risk they shoulder for us all. It's nice that FCs exists - but traditional developers are often incorrectly blamed for high rents and not given nearly enough credit for helping to ameliorate the problem that is largely created by our overly burdensome regulatory environment and highly restrictive land-use policies.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I'm not attacking FC or this project - which looks to be an improvement over the existing strip mall. Certainly anything that helps South Lamar be more urban, more vibrant, more mixed use and more street oriented is a good thing in my book. And Dick Clark certainly does nice stuff (though that rendering is a bit odd).

All I'm saying is that 1. These "affordable" projects are only affordable because they are heavily subsidized and that the smaller units aren't really the factor here, and 2. the large number of luxury units do more to help the average renter than all the affordable projects in this town ever can by bringing in new supply and relieving the upward pressure on rental markets. They also happen to be fantastic at helping to transform South Lamar from a long stretch of blighted parking lots, adult book stores, auto shops and whatnot into a vibrant urban boulevard some day.

Traditional developers get a bad rap (not here, but elsewhere) for their luxury buildings (which are attacked with vehemence), but those luxury buildings are crucial to providing a ready supply for the increasingly hungry population who demands to live urban and is willing to pay for it. They field an incredibly complex bureaucracy and increasingly hostile neighborhood groups, not to mention bearing all the market risk they shoulder for us all. It's nice that FCs exists - but traditional developers are often incorrectly blamed for high rents and not given nearly enough credit for helping to ameliorate the problem that is largely created by our overly burdensome regulatory environment and highly restrictive land-use policies.
Very well put.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:33 PM

^^^. Yes. Well put. If you want lower cost housing then government should incentivize building more and more densely. That includes making it easier to go through the city development process. Bottom line... Increase supply to exceed demand and prices come down. Markets work great when the are manipulated accordingly.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 9:26 PM

Driving down South Lamar today.... while I do it all the time, I was particular struck by all the construction today. Especially now that Lamar Plaza parking lot is getting removed. You can really see what a HUGE parcel of land that is. !

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:02 AM

FC distributed a flyer with conceptual designs at the Zilker Neighborhood meeting at the end of February. I scanned it and will post it here if I can figure out how to make that happen.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:10 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Try www.imageshack.us or www.photobucket.com

Or you can email the scans to me and I will post them. Lzppjb@gmail.com

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:29 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:17 AM
Meh

3/3

Coldwater construction site from March 3.

Note the crane to the right.

Note the control tower at the airport.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 7:49 PM

South Lamar Phase II

Quote:
Located between Bouldin Creek and Zilker Metropolitan Park, South Lamar Phase II includes 350 residential units in Austin, Texas. This development is a 5 story wood framed, mid-density project consists of 255,000 SF of net rentable space with stunning views overlooking downtown Austin and the surrounding area. Its distinct mix of affordable floor plans averaging 400 SF address Austin’s desire for economical prices with luxury amenities. The upscale restaurants provide a unique sidewalk experience having convenient access to downtown Austin.
http://www.theprestonpartnership.com...story-type-iii

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Where is this exactly?

Nice looking project and like the scale.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:40 PM

I'm not sure exactly where it will be built, though I would guess it would be near Post Lamar.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:49 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I'm not sure exactly where it will be built, though I would guess it would be near Post Lamar.
Their site says it is on 3 acres of land on South Lamar. If their is 3 acres of land next to Post Lamar then that is a good guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin