HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
You can't be green if everybody has to drive to your store.
I'm across Lamar from there and my complex alone has 600 units. There's another complex just east of the Wendy's (Hamilton Apartments) - not sure how many units are in that one. There's another complex (Woodmoor) just north of that Golden Coral - not sure how many units are in that one, either. Directly behind Lamar Oaks Shopping Center is Victory Drive and there's tons of apartments there. All of these are within easy walking distance. And there's a bus stop for the 338 on both sides of Lamar - northbound in front of that old Furr's and southbound at Brodie Oaks Shopping Center. And the 331 bus stops are on both sides of Victory by the Ann Richards School.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I'm across Lamar from there and my complex alone has 600 units. There's another complex just east of the Wendy's (Hamilton Apartments) - not sure how many units are in that one. There's another complex (Woodmoor) just north of that Golden Coral - not sure how many units are in that one, either. Directly behind Lamar Oaks Shopping Center is Victory Drive and there's tons of apartments there. All of these are within easy walking distance. And there's a bus stop for the 338 on both sides of Lamar - northbound in front of that old Furr's and southbound at Brodie Oaks Shopping Center. And the 331 bus stops are on both sides of Victory by the Ann Richards School.
Yeah - this is like being right across I-35 from something and expecting people to walk there, though. It's not going to happen. It's hard to think of a more pedestrian unfriendly area inside the city limits.

Here's what the walk looks like from across the street:

Hyde Park and Old West Austin better watch their backs!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:39 PM

Yeah, I know that intersection well. I cross it all the time to walk over to Target or to catch the 338 northbound. My complex is the only one on that side of Lamar. The Hamilton and Woodmoor are on the same side of Lamar as that shopping center, so those people have no need to cross Lamar. All those apartments up and down Victory don't either and Victory's only two lanes, and I never see much traffic on that street.

I forgot to mention that there's also a lot of apartments up and down Manchaca and the number 3 bus stops at Manchaca & Prather. Prather's only a two lane street as well, and it dead-ends into Victory right behind where they're putting in this Wheatsville. You can walk from Prather & Manchaca to Victory in less than 10 minutes.

Is that Lamar Oaks Shopping Center pedestrian-friendly as in beautiful and engaging? No. But it's accessible if you don't want to drive for a lot of people. Plus it does have plenty of parking for those who just can't tear themselves away from their cars.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 12:42 AM
Meh

The two taller buildings will be closest to Lamar. While the 3rd building is technically only a foot shorter than the 2nd building, that height is only to the mechanical penthouse. To the main roof it's 8 feet shorter.

South Lamar Plaza building heights:

Building 1 - 69 feet to mechanical penthouse - 60 feet to main roof - 5 floors

Building 2 - 52 feet to mechanical penthouse - 48 feet to main roof - 4 floors

Building 3 - 51 feet to mechanical penthouse - 40 feet to main roof - 3 floors

The address is 1100 South Lamar Boulevard

Site plan:
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10647696

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 12:50 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
South Lamar Plaza building heights:

Building 1 - 69 feet to mechanical penthouse - 60 feet to main roof - 5 floors

Building 2 - 52 feet to mechanical penthouse - 48 feet to main roof - 4 floors

Building 3 - 51 feet to mechanical penthouse - 40 feet to main roof - 3 floors

The address is 1100 South Lamar Boulevard

Site plan:
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10647696
I know this is probably really obnoxious, but if the site plan image is different from the one that I linked in a comment last night can you please let us know which number the actual site plan is instead of just linking us to all the documents? Not all of us want to download about 50 documents onto our computers and search through them all to get a single document. Same for elevations if they're available.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 1:10 AM
Meh

Sure, the last three numbers of the elevation files are:

Building 1: 111, 112, 115, 116

Building 2: 113, 117

Building 3: 114, 118, 119

Those show the buildings from different sides.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 1:20 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Sure, the last three numbers of the elevation files are:

Building 1: 111, 112, 115, 116

Building 2: 113, 117

Building 3: 114, 118, 119

Those show the buildings from different sides.
And I'm assuming the site plan is the same as the file that is on BigRedDog that I linked to last night?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 2:22 AM
Meh

I didn't see it, but I would assume so.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 2:50 AM

Quote:
I didn't see it, but I would assume so.
K.

This is probably the best project yet in this corridor.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know that intersection well. I cross it all the time to walk over to Target or to catch the 338 northbound. My complex is the only one on that side of Lamar. The Hamilton and Woodmoor are on the same side of Lamar as that shopping center, so those people have no need to cross Lamar. All those apartments up and down Victory don't either and Victory's only two lanes, and I never see much traffic on that street.

I forgot to mention that there's also a lot of apartments up and down Manchaca and the number 3 bus stops at Manchaca & Prather. Prather's only a two lane street as well, and it dead-ends into Victory right behind where they're putting in this Wheatsville. You can walk from Prather & Manchaca to Victory in less than 10 minutes.

Is that Lamar Oaks Shopping Center pedestrian-friendly as in beautiful and engaging? No. But it's accessible if you don't want to drive for a lot of people. Plus it does have plenty of parking for those who just can't tear themselves away from their cars.
Before I go spend a lot of time getting more pictures, let's be clear: from ANY direction, you have to walk through a ton of parking. Do you at least agree with this, or do I need to go get more streetview pictures?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
from ANY direction, you have to walk through a ton of parking. Do you at least agree with this, or do I need to go get more streetview pictures?
I'm really not trying to be argumentative or obstinate, but no, I don't agree with you. From my complex (Retreat at Barton Creek) yes, absolutely - you have to cross Lamar and walk through that big parking lot to get to Wheatsville. And for those of us that don't want to make that crossing at Lamar and walk through the big ugly parking lot, we'll just keep doing what we've been doing for the past 15 years. We'll walk to Sprouts on our side of Lamar.

But for the other complexes on the east side of Lamar, I think Wheatsville will be convenient for those who choose to walk or bike. Will the walk be a scenic urban wonderland lined with neighborhood bars, trendy clothing stores, hipster restaurants, and upscale day-spas? No. But it's short and safer for bikes if you know which streets to utilize to get there.

From Woodmoor Apartments, you can walk down Lamar (maybe 1/10 of a mile) to Panther, take a left - walk not even half a block and then turn right and walk (or bike) south down Victory.

From the Hamilton Apartments on Panther (by Wendy's) you just get on Victory and walk or bike from there. (That end of Victory dead-ends at Panther.)

From those apartments on Prather across from the Ann Richards school, you just walk or bike up Prather to Victory.

And if you live in any of those apartments on Victory, you just walk (or bike) on Victory.

I don't know how to post screen shots of Street views, but if you look at 2392 Prather Lane, it shows the intersection of Prather & Victory. In the street view, that building behind the blue CapMetro bus is the north side of the planned Wheatsville. Pedestrians & bikers, & bus riders who access Wheatsville from this entry point don't have to walk through tons of parking. It's a small side lot that separates Wheatsville from Pep Boys. Victory, Panther & Prather are a lot safer for bikers than Lamar is.

Yes, that Lamar Oaks Shopping Center is ugly, but I don't think it's going away anytime soon and I'm still glad to see something go in at that end of that strip mall. I wish they'd put in something at the other end of that Center where the Lacks Furniture used to be.

You mentioned that there were other places in the general vicinity that you would have preferred to see Wheatsville put their south store that would be more accessible to pedestrians and bikers now (or in the future.) Can you give an example or two?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
From Woodmoor Apartments, you can walk down Lamar (maybe 1/10 of a mile) to Panther, take a left - walk not even half a block and then turn right and walk (or bike) south down Victory.
[...]
Victory's not horrible. The best you can say about it is that if you were really predisposed to walk, you wouldn't mind walking there. But that's still the back entrance to the grocery store; meaning the grocery store is still prioritizing cars over pedestrians. (See also, Mueller HEB discussion).

This would be more understandable if, like with Fresh Plus vs. HEB, another example didn't already exist; in Wheatsville's case it's far less defensible - their other store already shows how to address the street so you don't treat pedestrians like second-class citizens!

Quote:
You mentioned that there were other places in the general vicinity that you would have preferred to see Wheatsville put their south store that would be more accessible to pedestrians and bikers now (or in the future.) Can you give an example or two?
Anywhere on South 1st, and anywhere on South Congress would be far superior, as the interior neighborhood grid could be used to get close, and both of those streets (especially Congress) are far nicer to walk on than is Lamar.

Anywhere on South Lamar further north, with the store addressing Lamar rather than a parking lot, would have been a big improvement.

This is kind of like the Mueller HEB discussion. It's about more than proximity - if the walk sucks, fewer people will take it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:31 PM
Meh

Victory is a whole lot better than cutting through the parking lot. I ride my bike on Victory whenever I'm in that area. But, I agree that intersection is hairy. I don't know what the traffic engineers were thinking on that one. As for the parking lot, it's a clean slate begging for redevelopment.

And I wouldn't go calling South First nice. It's anything but pedestrian friendly. In fact, it might just be the least pedestrian friendly artery in the whole city. Narrow sidewalks, steep hills creating bad visibility with cars speeding. My parents always said the craziest stuff they ever saw drivers do was when we lived on South First. South First doesn't even have bike lanes, and trying to ride your bike on the sidewalk would be suicidal.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Victory's not horrible. The best you can say about it is that if you were really predisposed to walk, you wouldn't mind walking there. But that's still the back entrance to the grocery store; meaning the grocery store is still prioritizing cars over pedestrians. (See also, Mueller HEB discussion).

This would be more understandable if, like with Fresh Plus vs. HEB, another example didn't already exist; in Wheatsville's case it's far less defensible - their other store already shows how to address the street so you don't treat pedestrians like second-class citizens!
OK, fair enough regarding pedestrians. I think where we are in disagreement is based on your initial statement: (emphasis added)

Quote:
You can't be green if everybody has to drive to your store.
People living on the east side of South Lamar on streets behind and/or adjacent to that center probably put a greater emphasis on having a relatively short, safe bike ride to get there, rather than having something cool to look at on their ride there, or whether or not they're accessing the store from the front or the rear. People who live farther away who don't really want to walk, (and don't have a bike) but wouldn't mind using public transportation probably place a greater emphasis on how far they have to walk from the store to the bus stop.

Every time I go to Target I see one or two of those red Target shopping carts at the 338 bus stop in front of the old Furr's. Target is twice as far away from that stop as Wheatsville will be. If people walk from that bus stop way over to Target, they'll walk from that stop to and from Wheatsville.

And if they're catching the 331, those stops on Victory are very close to the store entrance.

All this to say I think anyone who gets there by walking, biking, or using public transportation would qualify as a "green" customer, while people who drive their own cars would not.

Quote:
Anywhere on South Lamar further north, with the store addressing Lamar rather than a parking lot, would have been a big improvement.
It would have been an improvement for pedestrians, but if you were on a bike would you really want to bike on S. Lamar to get there? I wouldn't - unless I could ride on the sidewalk.

Also, certain parts of Lamar further north have more of an incline to deal with. Going north is a breeze. You just coast down the hill. Going south, there are places where one might have to huff and puff their way up an incline if you're not in the best of shape like me. Prather, Panther and Victory are pretty much flat terrain.

At any rate, Wheatsville has a page on their website about the new store (including a store map.) These are the reasons they give for picking that particular location in the Lamar Oaks Shopping Center.

Quote:
We chose this location for a lot of reasons:

People have been crying out for a South Wheatsville for decades!

We wanted a site that would be big enough to have all the features that our current store has, plus many things that we wish we had like: More parking, more indoor seating, larger fresh foods departments and more prepared foods.

It’s accessible by two bus routes (338 & 331) and is just a few blocks away from a USDA identified food desert where people have low access to fresh foods.

Our professional co-op market study identified this location as being an excellent choice with lots of potential for sales, visibility and accessibility.
I can understand their pedestrian-friendly set-up on Guadalupe, because they have more pedestrians up in that area. South Lamar between Panther Trail & Ben White isn't as dense as West Campus/UT, so we have fewer (for now.) That's probably why Wheatsville wanted more parking for their south location than they did for their original location.

I suspect other reasons they chose that location was their monthly rent (crappy shopping center = lower rent) and the fact that it's an existing building that will just have to be renovated, rather than having to wait for a new store to be built from scratch. They might have considered locations in some of the new developments being built further north on S. Lamar, but they might not have been able to get 22,000 contiguous square feet of space, and the closer to Riverside, the higher the rent would have been.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
OK, fair enough regarding pedestrians. I think where we are in disagreement is based on your initial statement: (emphasis added)

People living on the east side of South Lamar on streets behind and/or adjacent to that center probably put a greater emphasis on having a relatively short, safe bike ride to get there, rather than having something cool to look at on their ride there, or whether or not they're accessing the store from the front or the rear. People who live farther away who don't really want to walk, (and don't have a bike) but wouldn't mind using public transportation probably place a greater emphasis on how far they have to walk from the store to the bus stop.

Every time I go to Target I see one or two of those red Target shopping carts at the 338 bus stop in front of the old Furr's. Target is twice as far away from that stop as Wheatsville will be. If people walk from that bus stop way over to Target, they'll walk from that stop to and from Wheatsville.

And if they're catching the 331, those stops on Victory are very close to the store entrance.

All this to say I think anyone who gets there by walking, biking, or using public transportation would qualify as a "green" customer, while people who drive their own cars would not.

It would have been an improvement for pedestrians, but if you were on a bike would you really want to bike on S. Lamar to get there? I wouldn't - unless I could ride on the sidewalk.

Also, certain parts of Lamar further north have more of an incline to deal with. Going north is a breeze. You just coast down the hill. Going south, there are places where one might have to huff and puff their way up an incline if you're not in the best of shape like me. Prather, Panther and Victory are pretty much flat terrain.

At any rate, Wheatsville has a page on their website about the new store (including a store map.) These are the reasons they give for picking that particular location in the Lamar Oaks Shopping Center.

I can understand their pedestrian-friendly set-up on Guadalupe, because they have more pedestrians up in that area. South Lamar between Panther Trail & Ben White isn't as dense as West Campus/UT, so we have fewer (for now.) That's probably why Wheatsville wanted more parking for their south location than they did for their original location.

I suspect other reasons they chose that location was their monthly rent (crappy shopping center = lower rent) and the fact that it's an existing building that will just have to be renovated, rather than having to wait for a new store to be built from scratch. They might have considered locations in some of the new developments being built further north on S. Lamar, but they might not have been able to get 22,000 contiguous square feet of space, and the closer to Riverside, the higher the rent would have been.
Proof will be in the pudding. I'm 100% confident that a crappy walk to the back side of a building will yield fewer pedestrians and more drivers than a nice walk to the front side of a building, all else being equal.

As for their location choice, they're giving you excuses rather than reasons. I'm sure your reason is the actual one - lower rent.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
As for their location choice, they're giving you excuses rather than reasons. I'm sure your reason is the actual one - lower rent.
I think that's a big element. Wheatsville is not Whole Foods and doesn't have the same resources, and ultimately, their goal was first and foremost to put a financially viable new store down south, whether we urbanists found it ideal or not...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 6:55 AM

I wish they would tear down this Taco Cabana already. Here's the latest plan for the site. It needs a zoning change:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr...w-grander.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:16 AM
Meh

I would say 96 feet has precedent in the area. Remember that there was the Park Tower office building that was proposed on Barton Springs Road at that vacant lot where all the food trailers are. The original height that project wanted was 180 feet with 15 floors. After that it was chopped to 120 feet and then finally was approved only at 96 feet and 8 floors. This project at the Taco Cabana site would be slightly taller than anything in the immediate area, but not by a lot. And while the height restriction in that area is 65 feet, there are no less than 13 buildings that are taller than that height. 8 of those are west of Lamar along Barton Springs Road.

Here's the site plan page for it. It's still "awaiting update" The address is 211 South Lamar.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10814793

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Feb 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 8:03 PM

Odds are they'll approve the zoning change because it's similar to what is already in the area.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 7:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
I think it's actually called Coldwater and there was a rendering in the American-Statesman when the project was first announced back in August.

link to article
I found the height for Coldwater with the site plan. It will be 60 feet tall to the main roof and 68 feet 6 inches to the mechanical penthouse.

The project apparently dates back to at least 2008. The building elevation with the heights has the commercial end of the building facing Barton Springs Road. That side of the building is at 1720 Barton Springs Road, while the residential end faces Toomey Road at 1717 Toomey Road. So since the site plan says the commercial address is facing Barton Springs, I guess this project will have retail.

Here is the site plan files. The file with the heights is 007(1)

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10209355

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin