HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisforpm View Post
This is also a problem for the NDP. No high profile candidates have stepped forward to run in the swing suburban ridings. With Doer/Selinger we had the likes of Erin Selby, Theresa Oswald and Ron Lemieux. They swung traditional PC ridings to the NDP as centrist candidates. I don’t know if we will see that this time around.
In previous elections, was it clear ~10 months before the election which 'high profile' candidates were running? I would have thought it's too early to tell if they have been successful.

I would imagine that they should have an easier time than usual fielding candidates -- there's a good chance that the NDP could take power, so someone who can deliver a tough swing riding, especially a rural one, would have a good shot at a cabinet position...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
another great move by our current Provincial gov't (again shocking many of you NDP'ers that PC do fund social support systems too. they have hearts, not just big bank accounts).

New rapid access to addictions medicine clinic to open in downtown Winnipeg with $893K funding from province The government of Manitoba is spending about $893,000 on a new Indigenous-led rapid access to addictions medicine (RAAM) clinic in downtown Winnipeg, making it the third in the provincial capital.

The clinic will be in the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre on Higgins Avenue and will operate five days a week, with some extended hours in the late afternoons and early evenings to increase accessibility

When the clinic opens in spring, it will initially handle to 2,300 patient visits per year, with the potential to expand its capacity in the future

and of course the opposition just can't praise and be pleased, despite community leaders and Drs praising this

Bernadette Smith, the NDP critic for mental health and addictions, says the current government's strategy for dealing with substance use disorders lacks an important piece.

"The health experts are clear: we need a real plan that includes a supervised consumption site and better access to health care and supports for Manitobans struggling with addiction," Smith said in a statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.6724162
Yes it's good to see the PC's funding this addictions clinic. For me, the question still remains; does this show the PC' hearts have grown three times this day, and love and care for the most vulnerable in the province, or is this a one-of headline grabber prior to a provincial election?

I struggle with not wanting to be cynical, and not wanting to be fooled into voting for a party that historically has put social issues on the back burner.

As for Stephanson herself, like every human being she has made some good decisions and bad decisions. Like Wab Kinew, she has made some bad decisions in her past.

From Wikipedia: "In 1999, Stefanson was suspended for seven months by the Manitoba district council of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada for failing to meet educational requirements. Stefanson was found to have made 34 inappropriate trades while she was working as an investment adviser at Wellington West Capital"

I firmly believe people can make changes in their lives, and I would be a hypocrite if held her earlier misconducts against her while excusing Kinew's. However, some of her recent political decisions are a concern for me.

Also from Wikipedia:

"During Manitoba's third-wave of Covid-19 Stefanson claimed on May 18, 2021 that Manitoba's health system could handle an additional 50 patients in the ICU for a total of 170. However, later that day, she announced ICU beds were at capacity and two patients had been sent to Thunder Bay for treatment. Shared Health had been aware that the healthcare system was unable to handle 170 patients, and on May 7, chief nursing officer Lanette Siragusa called a previous exercise showing capacity at 173 ICU beds a “paper exercise” that "did not reflect the reality of Manitoba’s capacity".

On March 15, Stefanson received widespread criticism for responding to Wab Kinew's question about Krystal Mousseau, an ICU patient who died during a failed transfer to a hospital out of Manitoba with a boast about her son's performance at a hockey game. Two days later Stefanson issued a brief written apology. The NDP has been calling for an inquiry into circumstances of the death citing a letter from the regional health authority released a letter explaining that the transfer team was lacking critical monitoring equipment and training. Additionally, the patient was being given medication at the wrong rate. On March 22, Stefanson admitted during a radio interview that she had not reached out to Mousseau's family to offer an apology or condolences.

Stefanson was criticized for making excuses for the out-of-province transfers saying "Manitoba was no exception, this is what’s happening across the country.",however Saskatchewan and Manitoba were the only provinces that transferred ICU patients out of the province. On April 6, Dan Roberts, a critical care physician and professor of medicine at the University of Manitoba, called on the government to open an inquiry into Krystal Mousseau's death He also criticized the Manitoba Progressive Conservative Party for "privatizing and dismantling" much of Manitoba's Air Ambulance Service in 2017 a change that was criticized by physicians who warned this move would compromise patient safety

Of course, she's done a few things I agree with. She seems to have stepped away from the confrontational method of dealing with the City of Winnipeg, and seems to have adopted a more conciliatory tone with the federal government than other conservative premiers. Many of her recent funding announcements have been welcome. The question for me remains, does it mark a change in direction for the PC's, or just a pre-election gimmick?

I think for many people healthcare is THE issue for the province, as it is for pretty much the entire country. My gut feeling is that she is hoping the Feds and provinces can come to an agreement over increased healthcare funding this spring, so by the fall she can say "all fixed", or "it's getting fixed".

Would that be enough for me to consider voting PC again? At this point, probably not. I haven't yet seen a "big direction" statement from her government on how she plans to deal with healthcare, grow the economy or deal with Indigenous reconciliation (if it's been posted I hope someone can give me the link). Her past statements seems to show a disturbing trend towards spinning serious issues as "not that serious"; fiddling while Rome burns, if you will.

If she DOES get re-elected, will I consider that a disaster? Not necessarily, if she continues to be willing to fund positive initiatives in the province and want to put more "progressive" into the "Progressive Conservatives". However, as I have said before, at this point in time I would prefer to see Wab Kinew elected for what I hope will be a very proactive and positive approach to Reconciliation issues, crime prevention and healthcare. Of course I can't see the future and could be wrong about him, but right now that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

And about the NDP reaction to the spending announcement, as opposition they are supposed to point out what they think is wrong, but yeah, it would be nice to see appreciation for any positives a government does, if only to avoid giving the extreme wing of the PC's an excuse to say "social spending doesn't help our party at all, let's ignore it".

My goodness I'm opinionated!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Conservative parties throwing one time payments at a few things in an election year doesn't suddenly absolve them of their overall cruel and shortsighted desire to deregulate and privatize the public service, as history and current events has shown. There is a lot of talk about the NDP spending money the government doesn't have but what is missing from the conversation is the costs on society that shifting public services away from government has on each and every one of us. For example, would it really be better if instead of increasing taxes on those people and businesses who can afford it to better fund the healthcare system, that instead we create a two-tier system that underfunds the public system even more and pushes more people to the private system, only for them to end up paying more per capita out of pocket instead of via a progressive tax system because of the duplicated admin costs and profits? Another example is spending more money on the police, justice system, and healthcare to react to the effects of homelessness and poverty, than it would cost to just house people. Finally, the notion the NDP spends more than other parties flies in the face of reality, where conservative parties have added more to government debt than the left has in recent decades. I would just like to see the conservative posters on this forum be honest and just say they don't like spending on social programs instead of being morally outraged about spending and debt in general.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
and of course the opposition just can't praise and be pleased, despite community leaders and Drs praising this
You don't seem to understand the role of the opposition party.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
You don't seem to understand the role of the opposition party.
can we not be more like Bob Marley and live the motto "One Love, One Heart"

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Does that work the other way? If Wab and the NDP get elected as is more or less expected at this point, will we see Question Period filled up with the PC caucus praising all the things the NDP is doing right?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's not how you hold government to account.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
In previous elections, was it clear ~10 months before the election which 'high profile' candidates were running? I would have thought it's too early to tell if they have been successful.

I would imagine that they should have an easier time than usual fielding candidates -- there's a good chance that the NDP could take power, so someone who can deliver a tough swing riding, especially a rural one, would have a good shot at a cabinet position...
People in suburban ridings are smart enough to understand that an elected speNDP govt. means more spending and increased taxes along with mismanagement and incompetency!

Those in ridings where the speNDP usually wins are usually dependent on govt. and expect stuff for free and despite the usual promises, their lives never improve under the speNDP the way the speNDP likes it!

Last edited by rrskylar; Jan 25, 2023 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:

In this case, yes. The NDP have nominated most of their candidates in the above noted swing ridings. So we have an idea who is running.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
People in suburban ridings are smart enough to understand that an elected speNDP govt. means more spending and increased taxes along with mismanagement and incompetency!

Those in ridings where the speNDP usually wins are usually dependent on govt. and expect stuff for free and despite the usual promises, their lives never improve under the speNDP the way the speNDP likes it!
Do you think that if you keep repeating this that it will eventually become true?

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 25, 2023 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
LMAO

If only things worked that way. I wish we could be like that. Awesome comment.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 7:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Sure, but that means that you will also need to come in here and post about every program that gets funded by the NDP when they are in power.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Sure, but that means that you will also need to come in here and post about every program that gets funded by the NDP when they are in power.
well i'm assuming PC will be in power both Provincially and Federally next election

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:24 PM

When I think about Manitoba's problems, "too much tax" is just not up there for me. I mean, yes, would I prefer to pay less in taxes? Sure.

The crises of substance abuse, homelessness, mental health, etc. have made the city unpleasant to live in and unappealing to go out in. Transit is so unreliable that it's hard to depend on to get to work. The health care system is in such crisis I'm having to reconsider whether I can actually retire here or whether I'll need to move somewhere with a functioning system. The public schools are deteriorating and turning into a have (private) and have-not (public) system. And that's all before we start dealing with the real impacts of climate change, which we've only seen the tip of the iceberg for.

In other words, I don't need a $300 cheque. I need a government that will actually govern and do the things that individuals and the market can't, and that we rely on to have a reasonable quality of life

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:25 PM

Quote:
In other words, I don't need a $300 cheque. I need a government that will actually govern and do the things that individuals and the market can't, and that we rely on to have a reasonable quality of life
100% this.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
When I think about Manitoba's problems, "too much tax" is just not up there for me. I mean, yes, would I prefer to pay less in taxes? Sure.

The crises of substance abuse, homelessness, mental health, etc. have made the city unpleasant to live in and unappealing to go out in. Transit is so unreliable that it's hard to depend on to get to work. The health care system is in such crisis I'm having to reconsider whether I can actually retire here or whether I'll need to move somewhere with a functioning system. The public schools are deteriorating and turning into a have (private) and have-not (public) system. And that's all before we start dealing with the real impacts of climate change, which we've only seen the tip of the iceberg for.

Nah, bro, those people just need better role models.

/s

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
well i'm assuming PC will be in power both Provincially and Federally next election
I kind of hope the Cons do win Federally. So the Liberals and NDP can make their life hell.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:39 PM

Hoping the locals in Manitoba have been riled up enough with Brian P and Heather to vote out the PC's. The Cons do a good job of whipping their base into a frothy lather. See the video of them berating Trudeau the other day. I don't believe those are just normal people. But rather paid or other groups that come out for that stuff.

My normal friends who are in the Trudeau Must Go crowd don't give 2 shits about doing stuff like that. I still think the Libs hang on to slim minority no matter what the polls say right now.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:54 PM

This Manitoba “Carbon Tax Relief Fund” is really funny. This PC government can’t get voted out soon enough. I hope Manitobans (suburban Winnipeggers in particular) can see that they’re not helping us.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 9:17 PM
the first stamp is free

The Premier is rocking some sweet vintage "Wheels" from Degrassi glasses frames these days.

Bold choice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan