HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 12:51 AM

https://thestarphoenix.com/

The second-term mayor acknowledges 'anxiousness' in Saskatoon about the push for a new arena in Regina in his state of the city address. What’s his hurry

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I thought this was approved. Or did Planning Commission or Exec Committee recommend? I'm reasonably sure the design of the property was heavily dependant on getting that parking lot - if they couldn't get it, they'd have to allocate more of the existing Argyle property to parking... which would influence building, and green space design.

I went to a couple of the planning/info meetings for this - I recall discussion of a land-swap: City gets St Pius property in exchange for the parking lot land. Might not have been as straightforward as that, but something similar.

EDIT: Confirmed - Regina city council agrees to trade land with province to pave way for parking lot in Kinsmen Park
Thank you for the updated information! I live in the area, so I'm quite eager to see this school go up as my kid will be going there in a few not-so-short years.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:47 AM

Saskatoon has a real bad case of penis envy. Saskatoon thinks they are the new centre of the universe.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
Saskatoon has a real bad case of penis envy. Saskatoon thinks they are the new centre of the universe.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 12:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchedmofu View Post
It’s just typical Saskatoon things. They can’t keep our name out of their mouths

This one-sided rivalry reminds me of this clip from Mad Men: https://youtu.be/LlOSdRMSG_k

Last edited by djforsberg; May 21, 2021 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:44 PM

Last edited by Draftsman; May 21, 2021 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 2:02 PM

In all reality it makes no sense who builds their arena first but I’m sure both of them will be adequate The only fact Is that in Regina’s case building an arena of 10,000 seats is inadequate it should be at least 16,000 seats as I was going to last for the next 50 years

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:18 PM

Charlie Clark can go ahead and build a downtown arena with whatever public money he thinks he can. I don't think Regina has public money for a new downtown arena.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Charlie Clark can go ahead and build a downtown arena with whatever public money he thinks he can. I don't think Regina has public money for a new downtown arena.
I suppose this could be his way of drumming up popular support in both cities which would put pressure on the province to provide some funding. It would be a smart ploy but not sure how effective it will be.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I suppose this could be his way of drumming up popular support in both cities which would put pressure on the province to provide some funding. It would be a smart ploy but not sure how effective it will be.
If the funding was contingent that both facilities would have to be built downtown in each city would be good.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
If the funding was contingent that both facilities would have to be built downtown in each city would be good.
It would be a good way of revitalizing our downtowns that have most certainly been permanently damaged by the pandemic.

On that note, I had an all-IT meeting at my federal Crown yesterday, and I will just say, we are certainly going to be needing less office space even after things open back up. I also know others that work at various companies in Regina that are based downtown who will be working from home permanently. We are going to have to rethink our downtowns and bringing in more entertainment options must be part of it (for Regina, especially).

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://thestarphoenix.com/

The second-term mayor acknowledges 'anxiousness' in Saskatoon about the push for a new arena in Regina in his state of the city address. What’s his hurry
I don't think many people in Regina would care at all if Saskatoon got one first. It would have no impact on how fast / slow we moved on ours.

I guess this is a thing in Saskatoon.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I don't think many people in Regina would care at all if Saskatoon got one first. It would have no impact on how fast / slow we moved on ours.

I guess this is a thing in Saskatoon.
I would be quite happy for Saskatoon to build their new arena first. That way we can see what they are building, allowing Regina to build an arena that will be better, or at the very least, competitive.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
…we are certainly going to be needing less office space even after things open back up. I also know others that work at various companies in Regina that are based downtown who will be working from home permanently…
While many businesses (retail, restos, medical, dental, law firms, banks, etc) will continue to have a need for staff to be in-person, the long-term exodus of employees from downtowns will have significant ripple effects. Some of those businesses with a need for staff in-person may re-evaluate their location, if the daytime customer base is 30-50% of what it was pre-pandemic.

I know several (large) employers that have explicitly told staff that work-from-home is the new standard. In-person is on an exception-basis. They’re looking to shed downtown leased-space. AND they’ve probably heard from employees that a return to the office will cause them seek other opportunities.

Other than provincial government & prov Crowns (optics, I believe) - I’m not hearing of many employers with plans to mandate a shift back to an office-based workforce. There’ll still be people who choose to work from a downtown office, but in many cases, this will be a choice (no space at home; internet issues; need for social interaction; etc)

When my downtown employer approves larger-scale return (we’re at 5-10% in-office right now), at best I’ll choose 2 day per week downtown. My spouse, by contrast, went back to FT downtown (by choice) this week. She’s one of the few - office is maaaybe at 15%.

Ivy 2025, downtown will look completely different from 2019. Great opportunity to reshape it & encourage more restaurants, pubs, entertainment, etc. The parking infrastructure will also need a shake-up - it was excessive in 2019. Will be massively over-built in 2025, given typical daytime occupancy drop.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I would be quite happy for Saskatoon to build their new arena first. That way we can see what they are building, allowing Regina to build an arena that will be better, or at the very least, competitive.
That’s exactly what the mayor of Saskatoon is hoping for to see what Regina has planned and I’m sure the Regina Pats owner will pony up major monies for the Arena

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:09 PM

Another one!

$350M canola processing facility to be built in southeast Saskatchewan

Ceres Global Ag, which is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., is behind the project being built at Northgate, which is next to the U.S. border south of Oxbow.

https://www.cjme.com/2021/05/25/350m...-saskatchewan/

Saskatchewan’s streak of landing canola crush investments continued on Tuesday, as a fourth company announced plans for a multi-million-dollar project in the province.

Minnesota-based Ceres Global Ag announced a $350 million integrated canola crush facility slated for Northgate, near the U.S. border in southeast Saskatchewan. It will have capacity to crush 1.1 million metric tonnes of canola annually, and refine 500,000 metric tonnes into oil for food and fuel. Ceres estimates it will create more than 50 full-time jobs in the province.

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...r-saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 7:53 PM

Ceres has a lot of advantages down there. They already own the land and a massive rail loop. They have access to Canola farmers in ND as well as SK and even MB and have a direct connection to BNSF.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:39 PM

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/05/28/r...-water-agency/

Regina hoping to become home of new Canada Water Agency

Now this would be incredible if this Happened ever provide 100 jobs and according to the mayor new office space or existing office space preferred downtown nice little boost

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:49 PM

Work on Winnipeg Street North overpass gets green light

https://www.cjme.com/2021/05/27/work...s-green-light/

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Work on Winnipeg Street North overpass gets green light

https://www.cjme.com/2021/05/27/work...s-green-light/

That's going to be an absolute nightmare for Ring Road users and it's going to basically gain them nothing. The city has stated that this is independent of anything regarding the rail lines so I really don't understand the purpose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan