HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
No kidding, aside from Thompson where is there economic tax generated in northern Manitoba? Paving roads in the north for sparse populations makes no sense!
A lot of mining did/does go on across the north, and there is a huge tourism sector.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
although the 6 is a somewhat treacherous highway for other reasons (many long haul drivers, etc.) where those factors could bump it up the priority list somewhat.
6 is actually really good now that the road has been upgraded to St. Laurent. The only thing needing done is passing lanes up to Grosse Isle (probably 2 of them). Highway 3 between 14 and 23 is getting passing lanes this fall.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:30 PM

^ Maybe the news stories from there just stand out in my mind, but PTH 3 between Winnipeg and Carman seems to get more than its share of fatal head on collisions. Hopefully a few passing lanes will reduce the risk.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
The sweet spot for highway improvements are things like surfacing, shoulder improvement, intersection improvement, passing lanes, etc. Which is pretty well where most of the attention has been focused in recent years. A few more interchanges would be helpful too, but it sounds like that's coming.
When I was back home this past month, I was driving on Highway 23 just outside of Ninette and the highways dept was attempting to patch the crumbling pavement on the transition zone between pavement and gravel. To me these patches will not last the first freeze up and there will be more large pieces of asphalt breaking off and causing hazards.

Anyway hopefully those roads will get some major treatment over the next decade. Good to hear about the interchanges (if true). Does that mean Brandon as well?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
^ Maybe the news stories from there just stand out in my mind, but PTH 3 between Winnipeg and Carman seems to get more than its share of fatal head on collisions. Hopefully a few passing lanes will reduce the risk.
When I was on it last month, it was far busier than I remember from 8 years ago when I worked down there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:36 PM

Twinning to Kenora

The more recent 2017-2021 document has the twinning to Kenora project as "Planned", with completion moved from 2020 to "Beyond 2021". It is not happening anytime soon.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2017-2021.pdf

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
From 2014:

"A new plan to the Winnipeg region calls for multiple highways to be twinned and as many 15 cloverleafs — highway interchanges — to be built.

Following two years of community consultation, engineering studies and a technical review, the Partnership of the Manitoba Capital Region (PMCP) unveiled its transportation master plan on Tuesday.

The PMCP includes the Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation department as well as representatives from the City of Winnipeg and 16 municipalities surrounding it"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...plan-1.2670649

Sadly this will not happen with the current government. This was all NDP. And the Cons won't spend much on road expansions.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:48 AM

Any news on the Highway 1/16 Interchange west of Portage? A serious accident took place there today that took the lives of 3 people.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...aire-1.4254400

Searching online, I was able to find:

Construction was scheduled to begin in 2012 and finish by 2015

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...544243842.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:55 AM
Heart of the Continent

Last I heard on here, it was DOA.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:20 PM

I recall Biff saying that interchange pretty much fell victim to the huge unexpected costs that came as a result of the 2011 floods.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I recall Biff saying that interchange pretty much fell victim to the huge unexpected costs that came as a result of the 2011 floods.
Well yes. Have to blame it on something lol. It's like the 59 hwy one being built now. Excuses for 50 years.
Hwy 16- HWY 1 should hbe been done decades ago. It's just mind boggling two major highways are using a set of traffic lights like this.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Well yes. Have to blame it on something lol. It's like the 59 hwy one being built now. Excuses for 50 years.
The province estimated the cost of the 2011 flood at around $1 billion IIRC. Cutting a $100 million interchange is an easy decision when you're faced with that kind of cost.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
The province estimated the cost of the 2011 flood at around $1 billion IIRC. Cutting a $100 million interchange is an easy decision when you're faced with that kind of cost.
You can blame some of that cost on Brandon's city council. It still boggles my mind that they approved all that development on a known flood plain.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The flood was in 2011. The interchange has been there since the late 60's. It's more then some flood. It's this province and it's stupidy

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
The flood was in 2011. The interchange has been there since the late 60's. It's more then some flood. It's this province and it's stupidy
Then difference is that we finally had a government willing to build some again. The flood kills a lot of it. They only got to two of 4 planned ones.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
A lot of mining did/does go on across the north, and there is a huge tourism sector.
Mining has all but dried up aside from Thompson and the northern tourism sector is hardly huge, slightly modest at best with most coming in by plane to various hunting and fishing lodges.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:37 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Mining has all but dried up aside from Thompson and the northern tourism sector is hardly huge, slightly modest at best with most coming in by plane to various hunting and fishing lodges.
If you look at the traffic count maps, 6, 10, a section of 39 east of highway 10 and 391 up to the Nelson House turn off are relatively busy. The rest of the roads have moderate traffic. There is a significant amount of truck and tourist traffic on both 6 and 10.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
If you look at the traffic count maps, 6, 10, a section of 39 east of highway 10 and 391 up to the Nelson House turn off are relatively busy. The rest of the roads have moderate traffic. There is a significant amount of truck and tourist traffic on both 6 and 10.
The trucks I can understand, but tourists? I can't imagine much tourism past Riding Mountain National Park on highway 10 and Twin Lakes Beach on 6.

Who goes to Thompson or the The Pas for a holiday? A handful of people? People headed back to see family?

I'm thinking the volume on 391 is just local traffic.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:49 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The trucks I can understand, but tourists? I can't imagine much tourism past Riding Mountain National Park on highway 10 and Twin Lakes Beach on 6.

Who goes to Thompson or the The Pas for a holiday? A handful of people? People headed back to see family?
Waleye, trout, and pike fishing are huge for The Pas, Flin Flon, and Grand Rapids. Thompson is near Paint Lake and Pishew Falls. The province doesn't end at Riding Mountain. Duck Mountain (served by highways 10 and 83) draws a very large number of tourists as well, as does Clearwater Lake (10).

Quote:
I'm thinking the volume on 391 is just local traffic.
Does the province not need to serve local traffic? The point was that the traffic in excess of 400 vehicles a day exists. The road needs to be maintained.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Does the province not need to serve local traffic? The point was that the traffic in excess of 400 vehicles a day exists. The road needs to be maintained.
I'm not disagreeing with the need to maintain roads. Grading a gravel road is pretty cheap, so I have no qualms with that.

Are the highways that bad up there? I have no idea, honestly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan