HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:43 AM
heavy user of walkability

from a brief walkabout today, the projects going on in and around Mission Bay these days...

1450 Owens (see prev post)

the BMR one at 7th and Brannan has a crane up

across Brannan on the north side of the street they are demolishing something, don't remember what this is

CCA expansion on 7th (1450 Owens in background)

300 Kansas, from 16th...

and from Kansas side:

the 'back' of the future Flower Mart site, on 17th St

on Mariposa, looks like UCSF is converting the Cal-Steam property into something at least a little more interactive. forgot what the plans are there

the beautiful parking garage at Mariposa and Third

still blows me away how built-up Third St is now. I think almost nothing in this picture existed in 2010, most of it not even in 2015

out of focus, but to give idea of massing

the completed portion of block 9, with the u/c portion beyond it

a crane is up, but not too much to see yet

Mission Rock

the two projects up on Bryant near Fourth

the smaller eastern one

again, both in context

the larger western one as seen from Welsh Alley (the 'back')

and of course, if you walk out the end of Welsh, you see this now:

edit: two things I did not get to were the bayfront park by Chase Center and the future school site

Last edited by timbad; Jan 17, 2023 at 8:20 AM. Reason: noted

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and of course, if you walk out the end of Welsh, you see this now:

edit: two things I did not get to were the bayfront park by Chase Center and the future school site
Yeah, the new central subway is actually pretty great. I am now often using it to get to work, and the time reduction getting from Mission Bay to the convention center and union square is dramatic. Also love that it stops by that run of good restaurants at 4th and Brannan. It's a nice place to stop for dinner or a drink if you're heading home from downtown. I wonder if they've seen un uptick in business.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
across Brannan on the north side of the street they are demolishing something, don't remember what this is

Thanks for the big update, Timbad! Need more of these

I believe the project next to REI is this little 7-story residential infill, replacing a vacant two-story warehouse:

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...permitted.html

Overall, I'm impressed with how many projects are going on under the radar right now. Most of the big flashy ones seem to be stalled, but that doesn't mean that development has stopped in SF.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:06 PM
你的媽媽

Thanks for the awesome comprehensive tour, timbad! Most appreciated.

Mission Rock is definitely introducing a new sense of scale to Mission Bay. And the designs are both striking and classy.

Nice to see a lot of the smaller projects progressing nicely to provide further continuity in the remaining blank spaces in Mission Bay as well.

And yes, the opening of the Central Subway T Third line has been a most excellent new addition. I think we'll see the big boom in the area surrounded by Bryant, 3rd, Townsend, and 5th in the next 5-10 years.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:10 PM
你的媽媽

Also, if you're okay with it, I reposted your excellent photos to the 555 Bryant thread as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Also, if you're okay with it, I reposted your excellent photos to the 555 Bryant thread as well.
of course, appreciate that! last night it was too late for me to do the rest of the distribution, so nice to have that done!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post

I believe the project next to REI is this little 7-story residential infill, replacing a vacant two-story warehouse...
thanks for that!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:11 PM

T Subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Yeah, the new central subway is actually pretty great. I am now often using it to get to work, and the time reduction getting from Mission Bay to the convention center and union square is dramatic. ...
agree. one thing I had been wondering/concerned about was how long it would take the trains to get through the surface intersections (King, Townsend, Brannan, Bryant), but there seems to be some signal prioritization going on, so it's usually pretty smooth/quick. that helps a lot. once in the tunnel, it is super speedy.

even getting into/out of the deep stations hasn't been as bad as I feared it would be. those escalators are going to be key, tho. they need to stay operational.

overall I would say happy with it as well. now let's get it to North Beach/Fisherman's Wharf and at least over to Van Ness BRT!

Last edited by timbad; Jan 19, 2023 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:25 PM

Man, Mission Bay is so different now! Can't wait to come back in July

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:48 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
overall I would say happy with it as well. now let's get it to North Beach/Fisherman's Wharf and at least over to Van Ness BRT!
Agreed. Although I think this is also where it gets tricky. Figuring out how to get it from FW over to Van Ness. Or if that is even the best option. I think you could make the argument that adding a new East-West subway line starting from the North Beach station and going under either Lombard or Union would be more optimal than having to squiggle up to FW and then back down. I imagine most folks coming inbound from the Marina/Cow Hollow would prefer a straight shot to North Beach rather than detouring through FW.

Although this to me would be a lower priority than say an East-West subway line under Geary starting at Union Square/Market/Powell.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 4:35 AM

CCA expansion on 7th

Some older and (almost) up to date progress photos for the CCA expansion. Lots of workers on this site at all times, and it’s going to start going vertical soon given I don’t think these buildings have any sort of sub-surface excavation to do (presumably because you can’t go underground here or you’ll hit Bay water).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Construction Update For Affordable Housing At Mission Bay Block 9A, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON FEBRUARY 8, 2023

Construction has started for the eight-story affordable infill at 400 China Basin Street in Mission Bay, San Francisco. The project is expected to open 148 new condominiums for sale by 2024, overlooking the rising Mission Rock neighborhood. Mithun is responsible for the design.

Mission Bay Block 9A is a joint venture of Curtis Development, Michael Simmons Property Development, and YCD, i.e., Young Community Developers operating through China Basin Partners LLC.

The 85-foot tall structure will yield nearly 200,000 square feet. Unit sizes will vary with 50 one-bedrooms, 63 two-bedrooms, and 35 three-bedrooms. The condominiums will be designated as affordable for households earning between 80-110% of the Area Median Income. Parking will be included for 34 cars and 76 bicycles.

Residential amenities include a community room, fitness center, children’s entertainment space, yoga lounge, two outdoor terraces, and a business center. Once complete, the building will have certain resource-efficient elements such as all-electric power, solar panels, a facade that helps reduce energy needs, and low-vehicle capacity to promote pedestrian use.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/02/construc...francisco.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:10 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 6:07 PM

MB School

thanks whitty for the nice from-above views of the CCA site!

SF YIMBY has been following up on all the MB (and MB-adjacent) projects these last few days, including the school which I did not get to in my last walkabout - nice to see work has started (with the Owens building in the background):

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:28 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Gladstone Expansion Announced For 1650 Owens Street In Mission Bay, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON FEBRUARY 16, 2023

Gladstone has announced plans for a new expansion of their current location at 1650 Owens Street in Mission Bay, San Francisco. The nonprofit life sciences research organization has plans to increase its floorplan capacity by over a third, creating new laboratories and room for around two hundred new employees. Construction is expected to begin late next year.

DGA is overseeing the design. The California-based firm specializes in technical facilities for life sciences, technology, healthcare, and education. DGA is the executive architect for the adjacent life sciences project at 1450 Owens Street. Further afield, DGA is working on projects in Burlingame, Emeryville, and Sacramento.

The six-story project will be expanded from 200,000 square feet to 275,000 square feet. The additional floor area will produce approximately 44-47 laboratories, up from the existing 32 labs. With this additional space, Gladstone hopes to hire around 200 more employees to expand its current roster of 351 scientists, 175 trainees, and 138 researchers.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/02/gladston...francisco.html

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 3:00 PM

Interesting news about the Gladstone. Curious how they're going to accomplish this. There's not much space available for them to expand into on their block. Looks like the expansion is on the back side of the building where the loading dock/tank storage stuff is, and then a little outdoor eating area.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 5:11 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Interesting news about the Gladstone. Curious how they're going to accomplish this. There's not much space available for them to expand into on their block. Looks like the expansion is on the back side of the building where the loading dock/tank storage stuff is, and then a little outdoor eating area.
Yup looks like that's exactly where it'll be expanding.

https://goo.gl/maps/dNbXxhNShkwjwh3QA

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:02 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Construction Underway For California College Of The Arts Expansion In San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MARCH 9, 2023

Steel and wood have started to rise for the California College of the Arts expansion at 1140 7th Street in San Francisco. The new facilities, named Double Ground, allow CCA to close its Oakland campus and consolidate into the Design District neighborhood with a new landmark addition designed by the renowned Chicago-based architecture firm, Studio Gang. The new construction will integrate exposed concrete and mass timber within a new creative complex at the core of the urban campus.

The 2.3-acre expansion will create approximately 96,500 square feet of new floor area, with improvements to sidewalks along Hooper, Irwin, and 8th Street. The new campus will unify CCA’s 22 undergraduate and 11 graduate programs. The tallest buildings will stand 58 feet tall. Parking is included for 68 bicycles.

The facilities aim to be carbon neutral with net-zero energy once running, including a microgrid for the campus to harvest and store clean energy. The buildings emphasize mass timber as the primary structural element, a relatively new construction material with a smaller carbon footprint than traditional materials like concrete and steel.

There will be two four-story structures and one two-story mass timber wrapped with wooden lateral braces and deep 11-foot-deep open-air walkways. This simple design across the site at scale will undoubtedly become an iconic landmark for the CCA campus.

Below the three-story buildings, Studio Gang plays with the ground-level and second-level planes for movement, hence the name Double Ground. The wide pathways connecting to various pavilions will serve as student gathering spaces. The plans embrace outdoor space as much as interiors to give students room to study and work. Studio Gang writes that “together, this layered environment functions as a laboratory where students and faculty can explore sustainable materials, processes, and tools.”
https://sfyimby.com/2023/03/construc...francisco.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:03 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:26 PM
你的媽媽

Some real estate news for Mission Bay.

Quote:
Two massive offices in San Francisco are going from one tech firm to another
By Stephen Council
Oct 30, 2023

Ride-hailing giant Uber has leased 486,600 square feet of office space in San Francisco’s Mission Bay to OpenAI, the company confirmed Friday in a statement to SFGATE. It marks one of the city’s largest real estate transactions since the pandemic.

The lease concerns Uber's four-building Mission Bay campus. Uber will keep its workers in two of the buildings and lease the other two to OpenAI. The two connected offices are located near the Chase Center at 1455 and 1515 Third St. and will dramatically expand OpenAI’s footprint in the city. OpenAI currently operates out of space in the Mission District; a company spokesperson told the Chronicle that OpenAI does not plan to leave the neighborhood completely.
https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/...r-18453340.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development