HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 7:44 AM

Cool CHICAGO | The Row (900 W Randolph) | 495 FT | 43 FLOORS

Last edited by BVictor1; Dec 19, 2019 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 7:49 AM

http://neighborsofwestloop.com/2017/...lated-midwest/

900 W. Randolph (Related Midwest/Tucker Development)
Posted by WestAdmin Leave a reply
(Refer to a prior presentation on this property here.)

Development Proposal

On Monday, October 9, Curt Bailey, Ann Thompson, and Mike Ellch of Related Midwest and Rich and Aaron Tucker of Tucker Development presented an updated proposal for a high-rise residential project on Peoria Street just north of Randolph. This project is included in the development known as 900 W. Randolph, in which Tucker renovated a group of low-rise office buildings on the block.

Tucker Development had previously proposed a 19-story building on the site in the spring of 2016. They subsequently partnered with Related Midwest, who had recently delivered the 30-story, 303-unit Landmark residential building at 1035 W. Van Buren. The combined team’s proposal is to upzone the entire group of holdings on the block (which excludes Pastorelli Foods on the northwest corner and Leña Brava on the southeast corner) from C1-1 with a 1.46 FAR (maximum allowable height of 38 ft) to DX-5 zoning with an 8.1 FAR. The result is a proposed 570 ft (51-story) structure that includes a 6-story parking pedestal. The increase in density would require a $4M payment to the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund.

Designer Morris Adjmi Architects drew from their experience in the meat packing district of New York and the nearby “L” to develop the building’s composition, which includes steel & glass rising above the brick-shielded podium. The site would have an active retail/restaurant face along Peoria with an amenity level atop the podium.

The developer is considering using a valet parking system with sidewalk bump-outs on Peoria. A traffic study for the site is underway.

When asked what benefit the rezoning would bring, the developer cited the $4M NOF payment but could not identify other positive results for the community.

Committee Feedback

Our committee provided a number of comments for consideration by the development team:

Height is the committee’s primary concern. The group considered this building – which would be the tallest (existing or proposed) West Loop structure west of Halsted by a factor of three – to be too tall, with too much density for the area. Additionally, the group was concerned that this building would set the new height standard for the West Loop.
Members of the committee questioned the technique of reassigning floor area ratio from landmarked building that could never use the FAR to propose a structure of this height.
The parking pedestal was described as unsightly, with its anonymous red brick covering parking as opposed to active uses above the first floor.
Our committee would like more information about how the developer intends to meet the affordable housing requirements.
The group felt that underground parking should be provided for this development, consistent with the West Loop Design Guidelines.
The group liked the curved steel window frames, but did not fully appreciate the other architectural elements.
Concerns were raised about having the service on Peoria, suggesting that a different off-street circulation pattern would be more effective.
Next Steps

A community meeting will be scheduled for this proposed development in the coming weeks or months. The NoWL Development Committee will issue a position letter based on resident feedback collected before and through the community meeting.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://neighborsofwestloop.com/2017/...lated-midwest/

Concerns were raised about having the service on Peoria, suggesting that a different off-street circulation pattern would be more effective.
Is that a joke? The block is a "C" shape of protected buildings.
Where else would it go?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:56 AM

This would certainly be the beginning of the end of the Randolph Street "restaurant row", and the West Loop's status as where the cool kids hangout. Especially when the parking garages come and destroy the vibe.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 2:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This would certainly be the beginning of the end of the Randolph Street "restaurant row", and the West Loop's status as where the cool kids hangout. Especially when the parking garages come and destroy the vibe.

The density is great, but the neighborhood also is opposing the inactive uses above the first floor.

This will see a height chop and likely a positive redesign. When they are done, I’m guessing this project will no longer deserve its own thread.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Great to see the flurry of skyscrapers lately.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Lots of the West Loop midrises already have blank walls on the ground floor and sometimes the second floor to conceal parking. So far most of them have been designed decently...

I don't mind this tower specifically, but I appreciate the West Loop as a midrise neighborhood and I don't like the precedent for tall buildings here. Chicago doesn't have any other European-style midrise neighborhoods, and it's not likely that one could be created anywhere else in the city. Any master-planned development will default to highrises and townhouses.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
the Randolph Street "restaurant row"
Not really related to this proposal, but: I feel a meme rumbling into the west loop.

1940s --> "Magnificent Mile"
2010s --> "Cultural Mile"
2018 --> "Culinary Mile" ?

Or are there any better ones out there? This came to me while walking down Sangamon after eating really, really well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Not really related to this proposal, but: I feel a meme rumbling into the west loop.

Or are there any better ones out there? This came to me while walking down Sangamon after eating really, really well.
I'm thinking we keep up the "ape NYC" theme and start calling this area "West Loop Navy Yards"...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:35 AM

^ I'm right with you regarding blind imitation of yuppie fads that NY barfs out, but the "Yards" suffix is hardly unique to that region. Camden Yards as a redevelopment term dates back essentially to the 1980s, and there's Schuylkill Yards as well. It's just the new (and larger) "Plaza" or "Square" and I think ya gotta give into it. There are better battles to wage, like against skipping 10 numbers in floor count just to sell condos at a higher price...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:

That works. Though like "Cultural mile" it lacks the alliteration and ability to abbreviate that I think gives "Magnificient Mile" or "Mag Mile" staying power.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
That works. Though like "Cultural mile" it lacks the alliteration and ability to abbreviate that I think gives "Magnificient Mile" or "Mag Mile" staying power.

How about Michelin Mile instead?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I like it. Now we just need to popularize it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Are there even any Michelin Starred Restaurants on the "restaurant row" part of Randolph?

Edit: Looks like Elske received 1 star, though it is on the 1300 block of Randolph, and quite a ways off the main drag.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:

I don't see any need for cheesy branding. It is a, rather than the, restaurant row.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I don't see any need for cheesy branding. It is a, rather than the, restaurant row.
Hungry Highway
Boulevard of Bites
Grub Gateway
Culinary Kilometer
Mangia Mile
Palatable Parkway
Delicious Drive
Succulent Street
Fairway of Fare
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Hungry Highway
Boulevard of Bites
Grub Gateway
Culinary Kilometer
Mangia Mile
Palatable Parkway
Delicious Drive
Succulent Street
Fairway of Fare
Hungry hungry highway

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Naw, can't you just see it now? "RESTAURANT ROW" in giant neo-industrial neon letters ten feet tall on a "gateway" sign over Randolph??? That's exactly what we need so all the "turists" know where to get their snack on!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Naw, can't you just see it now? "RESTAURANT ROW" in giant neo-industrial neon letters ten feet tall on a "gateway" sign over Randolph??? That's exactly what we need so all the "turists" know where to get their snack on!

And Soho House has invested way too much money in that building for the cool kids to have to pick up and move to a new neighborhood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
There's a weird kind of elitism on this forum that I have to say is very entertaining.
What's weird about not wanting to turn interesting neighborhoods into theme parks for tourists?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:16 PM
BANNED

"Cultural Mile" sounds like the Cultural Revolution with Bataan Death March vibes. Asian is in right now, let's do it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction