HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've *always* wanted those buildings moved a block north, just north of Lawson. Lawson would lose some parking spaces, but if the developer "donated" the buildings to Lawson and moved them there for Lawson, Lawson could then sell them for several million each and everyone wins - Developer gets lauded for preserving them, that block gets more historic-looking buildings and loses visible parking lot, and Lawson gets some added cash it could invest in facilities or just throw into an endowment. I don't know what it would take to do that, but if anyone has contacts at Lawson or with the developer it seems like something worth suggesting. In my thinking, Pearson would then also be extended through to Dearborn as a pedestrian "street," improving walkability in the area, too.
I really like this idea as well, but I think it cost $6 million to move the Rees House + coach house, so I'm not sure it's financially viable even if the land was free.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:52 PM

'One Chicago Square?' Not terrible...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
'One Chicago Square?' Not terrible...
There's no square tough
Or any public space for that matter.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL I lived just 2 streets north of this for 8 years until semi recently and you couldn't be any further from the truth when you say "no street life" - there definitely is all around there. You need to learn more about the area if that's what you actually think. Now, if you were talking about at 3am, then you'd have a point - it gets quiet, but during a nice weekend day/evening in the summer there's numerous people out there. It's definitely not quiet in reality.

And this site is only 1-2 blocks from the site I was talking about which was denied. It's very close.
I was just in Chicago two weeks ago.

I don't mean all of River North, but anywhere that the street consists of parking entrances and garages has no street life. It's very pedestrian unfriendly. Clark Street is a different story, for instance, at least from Grand to the river.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's the hold out.

gsv

$%##&@?!
Oh dear lord. There has got to be some vacant retail space where that can relocate to. Hopefully the guy's just playing hardball and comes to his senses.

For parking, if it's all underground, what's the program for the podium?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Oh dear lord. There has got to be some vacant retail space where that can relocate to. Hopefully the guy's just playing hardball and comes to his senses.

For parking, if it's all underground, what's the program for the podium?
Character my friend... character

We all prefer the 19th century buildings.... but everything is not always about physical beauty when living in the city.... sometimes the beauty is found in function.

Having a street scale all hours restaurant of this type stick around helps make a city less sterile. And who knows, now with some new development right at his door, maybe the guy spends some donero to spruce the place up a bit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:23 PM

Street scale is what first floor retail is for. I don't think Wrigleyville is losing character because the McD's in the Zachary now.

Last edited by aaron38; Oct 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:25 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
And who knows, now with some new development right at his door, maybe the guy spends some donero to spruce the place up a bit.
Its present look is after some sprucing up a few years ago ...

I always wanted to like that place, but after a number of tries, I just can't. Food is, at best, mediocre. Service is mediocre and sometimes actually just bad. Environment is not pleasant.

In addition to the restaurant, there is a dry cleaners in the eastern portion of the building.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:04 PM

^^^ Nice Steely!
I wonder if this proposal will have any impact on that McDonalds on State? This design leaves a keyhole opening at the NE corner that a tower on the McD's lot would have views through to the SW.

Last edited by aaron38; Oct 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:13 PM

^^ Whoa! nice work Steely

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

some skyline views:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
There's no square tough
Or any public space for that matter.
The site plan shows a small pocket park positioned at the front of the taller tower's main entry. This would be between the main tower and the cathedral, facing the street. I could see that set aside getting larger in community negotiations, and perhaps even making one of the towers a bit taller.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
some skyline views:
Would it be possible to do a view from around Ashland and Lake, and coming in on the Kennedy at about Fullerton?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:27 PM
The City

I don't like the massing. I hope it's not a One Bennett Park 2.0

I want steel, glass, modern

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Would it be possible to do a view from around Ashland and Lake, and coming in on the Kennedy at about Fullerton?
ask and ye shall receive.

from ashland & lake:

from the kennedy @ webster:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I want steel, glass, modern
The elevation diagrams list materials as a glass and aluminum curtain/window wall system.

Hope it gets built. Would be nice to see a modern glass facade poking up above all the beige shit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:49 PM

PUBLIC MEETING

DATE - October 24th

TIME - 6:30

Location - 25 E. Pearson
Kasbeer Hall
15th Floor

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
ask and ye shall receive.
Thanks, Steely Dan!

Man, if Holy Name gets to keep its height and gets built, it plus Wanda Vista, Wolf Point South, and the 800' ones on Lakeshore East and General Growth replacement are going to "ruin" our long-standing triple-crown skyline from the NW in the most wonderful way.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Oct 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Its present look is after some sprucing up a few years ago ...

I always wanted to like that place, but after a number of tries, I just can't. Food is, at best, mediocre. Service is mediocre and sometimes actually just bad. Environment is not pleasant.

In addition to the restaurant, there is a dry cleaners in the eastern portion of the building.
I hear you. I added a caveat when I gave my initial assessment of the place that it has been a while since I have been there -- meaning something like 5 years. A lot can change in that period of time. But let me add, when I say, "the food is good".... I am not talking 5 star quality good. Its a place to go to after a night with friends, bar hopping, etc. At that time of night, the expectation of quality of food changes a bit and it becomes more about atmosphere and winding up the night on a good note.

Let me just say this....there is something to be said about LIVABILITY of a city. I was in Miami a few months ago on business and I was struck by the lack of livability of its downtown area save for a strip or two. One of the great things about Chicago is having walkable street scale places like this little restaurant.

It needs greenery. Add some something like shrubs, potted trees, possibly add some green to the roof and against the backdrop of a stale parking garage (or retail), this will be a nice contrast.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Oct 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I was just in Chicago two weeks ago.

I don't mean all of River North, but anywhere that the street consists of parking entrances and garages has no street life. It's very pedestrian unfriendly. Clark Street is a different story, for instance, at least from Grand to the river.
That's great, but I lived right near here for 8 years until a handful of months ago. I was right around there parcels all the damn time, nearly everyday until I started traveling every week for work..then it changed to 2 days per week.

I know what I'm talking about so I really don't care that you were there a few weeks ago when I actually experienced this specific parcel for years. Even though it was a parking lot, it still got and gets a healthy dose of pedestrian traffic on the state street side and also near Chicago ave. I'm not saying it's a ton, but it definitely was not dead on a normal day. At 3am then you'd have a point, but that's not your point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive