HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Southwest Airlines adds non-stop service from Long Beach to PDX, starting Fall 2023 - "Long Beach Sees Southwest Growing to the Northwest"

Southwest continues bringing more service to its Long Beach, Calif., Customers. Today, the airline added two new destinations for Southern California travelers linking them to the Pacific Northwest.

Effective Oct. 7, 2023 Southwest will offer the nonstop service on Saturdays and Sundays between:

Long Beach, Calif. and Boise, Idaho

Long Beach, Calif. and Portland, Ore.
Read more on this and other added routes at Southwest...

Personal note - I love this. LGB is my favorite Southern California airport to fly in and out of so I'll definitely utilize this!

Quote:
ALLEGIANT ANNOUNCES EIGHT NEW ROUTES - PDX to Appleton, WI added

Allegiant today announces eight new nonstop routes to some of the nation's premier vacation destinations. To celebrate, the company is offering one-way fares on the new routes as low as $39.*

The routes, launching during this year's summer and fall travel seasons, will connect communities across the country to some of the most popular leisure hot spots, including Portland, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Austin, Phoenix, Asheville, Chicago and Los Angeles.

"We continue to see historically high demand from leisure travelers, so we are thrilled to add these routes to our network and build on the success we've had in these markets," said Drew Wells, Allegiant senior vice president and chief revenue officer. "As travelers make their summer vacation plans, we know they will appreciate the low-cost, nonstop options offered by Allegiant."

The new seasonal route to Portland International Airport (PDX):

Appleton, WI. via Appleton International Airport (ATW) – beginning June 15, 2023 with one-way fares as low as $69.*
Read more about the Allegiant annoucement here...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:42 PM

New details floor plan, and new renderings here: https://www.pdxnext.com/Stories/Deta...er%20-%20March

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 4:51 PM
Registered Ugly

Not the best photo, but I did manage to get a little glimpse from the Alaska terminal a few weeks ago:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
New details floor plan, and new renderings here: https://www.pdxnext.com/Stories/Deta...er%20-%20March

So there is no post-security grand room? Only that main room that non/travelers can also access? How do you get from C/B to D/E? I was assuming that main area was a place one could sit/eat/wait after they get through security. Major bummer if that grand room is pre-security.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:08 PM
Registered Ugly

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
So there is no post-security grand room? Only that main room that non/travelers can also access? How do you get from C/B to D/E? I was assuming that main area was a place one could sit/eat/wait after they get through security. Major bummer if that grand room is pre-security.
I can't see it anywhere on those images, but their FAQ page says: "Those of us who work at the airport miss the hallway between Concourses B/C and Concourses D/E as much as passengers do. Don’t worry—it’s coming back. Once we’ve completed the final work on the north and south ends of the main terminal in 2025, you'll be able to visit every post-security gate (or business) just as freely as you used to."

https://www.pdxnext.com/FAQ

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:43 PM

So much space and activity dedicated to pre-security seems like a waste. I don't know who waits around BEFORE getting into the security line. I get through security ASAP, THEN need things to do until boarding.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:24 PM

I don't ever get food or drink before security when I'm flying, but if I'm going to the airport to greet someone (or vice versa) it's nice to have that option. PDX did have that until the Oregon Market was demo'd for the expansion.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
So much space and activity dedicated to pre-security seems like a waste. I don't know who waits around BEFORE getting into the security line. I get through security ASAP, THEN need things to do until boarding.
There’s going to be new stuff post security as well. Are you saying it’s not big enough?

I like how now there’s tons of stuff to do if I have to pick somebody up from the airport or drop someone off we can eat and drink before they leave

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 11:59 PM

It has never crossed my mind to do anything aside picking people up curbside at an airport. Vastly overpriced crap food and drink and pay for parking and walk 1/2 mile? Can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone doing this.

I like the idea of a grand central foyer, giant windows (sea tac, etc) where you can see activity on tarmac, drink a beer while waiting for flight. But I also explore when I get past security hence why I like a nice grand central connection between terminals. Look at departures/arrivals board for international flights and explore looking for wide body airplanes. Love it. My poor wife…kids like it though!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 5:17 AM

I actually like the idea of going to that mezzanone restaurant just to watch the planes, and pdx has always had a nice openness to the public. My mom used to go to shop at one of her favorite stores at pdx before the market was demo'd.

I think the plan, in addition to the mezzanine restaurant, is for 4 eateries and 4 retail spaces pre security. There will be a lot more than than that post security.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Vastly overpriced crap food and drink…
That does not accurately describe PDX.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
That does not accurately describe PDX.
Correct, pdx vendors are required to charge exactly what they charge on the street. And the vast majority are local operators, like Screen Door, Blue Star, Stumptown, Capers Cafe, etc etc. Seems like every time i fly out there is a free wine sampling at Made a in Oregon store or elsewhere, plus the nation's first (only?) airport distillery, plus a free movie theater... - this is one of the top airports anywhere for enjoying yourself before a flight. 😊

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 1:24 AM

Quote:
It has never crossed my mind to do anything aside picking people up curbside at an airport. Vastly overpriced crap food and drink and pay for parking and walk 1/2 mile? Can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone doing this.
Pre-pandemic, my uncle and his wife did, and they live in Hillsboro. I thought it was weird though.

Back before they took down the pre-security central shopping area, my family would always hang out and eat before we sent off whoever was leaving. And I really enjoyed having a pastry and coffee at La Provence, and would often do so before going through security myself.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 1:52 PM

Guess I don't really buy anything in airport, and avoid Blue Star in general ($$). I've never had anything in an airport (or sports stadium) where the quality was the same for a branded store inside vs out.

Maybe that's why people like PDX so much? My wife and I can't figure it out beside the unique carpet. It's a dated building, with lots of barely functioning bathrooms like every other airport I've been too. It's quieter than big ones, but that's not on the airport. It gets me from point A to B. Check! What else is there?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Guess I don't really buy anything in airport, and avoid Blue Star in general ($$). I've never had anything in an airport (or sports stadium) where the quality was the same for a branded store inside vs out.

Maybe that's why people like PDX so much? My wife and I can't figure it out beside the unique carpet. It's a dated building, with lots of barely functioning bathrooms like every other airport I've been too. It's quieter than big ones, but that's not on the airport. It gets me from point A to B. Check! What else is there?
PDX is actually in the middle of upgrading its restroom facilities as well. The ones at the Concourse E extension are quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:40 PM

Quote:
I can assure that this is a thing that people do. Especially when it's an international flight, the amount of time it takes someone to clear the border can vary significantly, and sometimes loved ones like to wait over a coffee.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I am the same as you.

I guess to each their own, but it is hard to imagine the pre-security amenities being used much proportional to their prominence and amount of space.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:00 PM
Registered Ugly

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't think there's an unnecessarily large area pre-security, I think it's built the way it is to accommodate the orientation of check-in and the corresponding flow of people.

The pre-security shopping and dining looks like a small strip separating check in from a large open area with a restaurant overlooking the tarmac. Note also that there are many people who work at the airport who would likely benefit from at least some food options being on the front end of security. People also forget that for arrivals sometimes there is a gap between arriving and being picked up. Arriving people can thus go back upstairs and wait. Then there are two huge shopping/resting areas for travelers post security that are still underneath the addition as well.

Back to the check-in issue, I find it pretty nice (at least in theory) that it's oriented perpendicular to the entrance, minimizing the amount of back and forth walking. I just flew to San Diego a few weeks ago and their airport was a pain for us. My family of four, including 2 young children and all of their accoutrements (strollers, extra luggage, car seats etc.), upon returning, were dropped off at departures by the rental car shuttle at the western stop on the map below. We proceeded to the second floor since that's where departures are. Once up there, we realized that you can't get to the Alaska gates from that side until you're past security.

We asked an airport worker for the best route to get to the Alaska check-in. We were told to go back outside, cross the bridge to the skywalk, walk three quarters of the length of Terminal 2, then back inside with all our gear (route in red below). It's over a quarter of a mile (0.28) from the bus stop to the Alaska check-in.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 7:21 PM

The new layout is interesting. I would have thought there would be more space post-security as well. I would have likely done one large security station rather than break it into two. The new Salt Lake airport only has one security checkout and it seems to work well. The concourse connector appears to be a narrow hallway just past security by the windows. What's not really shown here is that in any modern airport there are huge banks of check-in kiosks. I don't see very many here but I expect the final layout to be a bit different.

Keep in mind that with the open layout, they layout can very easily be changed in the future and it's very likely 20 years down the road, this could look very different.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure