HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 11:34 PM

Seeing the elevation drawings does make me better appreciate some of the details / color schemes that maybe aren't as present in the 3d renders. This does feel very reminiscent of the cellars and even the credit human complex on Broadway with some of those mosaic patterns. Sorry if the heights are blurred but it says 121' to the top level and 134' to the parapet

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:43 AM
James

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:20 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Looking closer at the site plans, they also are going to take away street parking/widen the sidewalk on the Josephine side and add some nice pedestrian crossings at both corners. This was bizarrely missing from the Museum Reach improvements, which crosses the street at grade there to connect to the golf course detour bike path. I use that path all the time, so having a safer way to cross Josephine is huge. Maybe if we just take away car space one block at a time no one will notice until it's the year 2500 and the city is a safe place for pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Looking closer at the site plans, they also are going to take away street parking/widen the sidewalk on the Josephine side and add some nice pedestrian crossings at both corners. This was bizarrely missing from the Museum Reach improvements, which crosses the street at grade there to connect to the golf course detour bike path. I use that path all the time, so having a safer way to cross Josephine is huge. Maybe if we just take away car space one block at a time no one will notice until it's the year 2500 and the city is a safe place for pedestrians.
When the Borden Creamery project is done and the pedestrian bridge is in place, you'll be able to use it and cross Josephine at river level.

edit: then again, maybe not. That tunnel inlet park was not designed for convenient passage.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:02 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
When the Borden Creamery project is done and the pedestrian bridge is in place, you'll be able to use it and cross Josephine at river level.

edit: then again, maybe not. That tunnel inlet park was not designed for convenient passage.
I'm talking about on the east bank of the river where the River Walk goes directly into Josephine street. You either have to turn around or cross two traffic lanes, two bike lanes and two parking lanes if you want to keep going north. But yeah, also excited for the Borden bridge, that will be an extremely convenient east-west connection for bikes.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about on the east bank of the river where the River Walk goes directly into Josephine street. You either have to turn around or cross two traffic lanes, two bike lanes and two parking lanes if you want to keep going north. But yeah, also excited for the Borden bridge, that will be an extremely convenient east-west connection for bikes.
Right. I was suggesting you (if heading south) would be able to cross the bridge and take the path under the Josephine Street bridge on the west bank, but if on a bike that would mean using the long ADA ramp with multiple switchbacks, and it might just be easier to cross Josephine at street level.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 8:54 PM

Here's the bridge being installed, pics taken about an hour ago. It's higher than I expected, but since it's upstream of the flood tunnel the height makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 9:34 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Excellent.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 1:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

Anybody have any building construction photo updates from the Pig & Pearl?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Anybody have any building construction photo updates from the Pig & Pearl?
Excuse the ignorance and no knowledge of construction terms, but what is the Pig & Pearl? Is that the closing of the pig stand you’re referring to?

I live at the pearl so I can snag photos and put them up today. Elmira has made some progress on the parking garage. The Josephine parking structure looks complete and now the wooden frames seem to be going up all around.

Can also try to snag some photos of the progress of the Samuel Glass building. It looks like the internal plumbing work that resulted in the foundation being torn up has been complete.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Excuse the ignorance and no knowledge of construction terms, but what is the Pig & Pearl? Is that the closing of the pig stand you’re referring to?

I live at the pearl so I can snag photos and put them up today. Elmira has made some progress on the parking garage. The Josephine parking structure looks complete and now the wooden frames seem to be going up all around.

Can also try to snag some photos of the progress of the Samuel Glass building. It looks like the internal plumbing work that resulted in the foundation being torn up has been complete.
Is the Pig Stand closing?
The Pig & Pearl is what I call the areas around the Pearl and The Pig Stand. Help me make it catch on! And thanks in advance for the pictures.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Is the Pig Stand closing?
The Pig & Pearl is what I call the areas around the Pearl and The Pig Stand. Help me make it catch on! And thanks in advance for the pictures.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...y-17833516.php

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 12:51 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS4 View Post
End of an era.

I ate at the Pig Stand north of the airport a few times as a kid. Jones Maltsberger? And maybe the one on Broadway. I know my family was sitting in stands under the 35/37 overpass during the mass shooting at the Battle of Flowers parade in 1979. We sure didn't eat there that day.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 4:47 PM

Oxbow Development plans Pearl-area hotel across the river from Hotel Emma

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...rea-hotel.html

"Local real estate development firm Oxbow Development Group has announced a Pearl-area hotel project just north of the Hotel Emma. The lot will transform a public parking lot just on the other side of the San Antonio River at 1210 East Elmira St.

Oxbow — the development subsidiary of Silver Ventures — has been putting multiple projects in the pipeline recently, including The Lewellan mixed-use tower on Josephine Street and a riverside restaurant concept. According to a news release, the currently unnamed hotel will feature 151 rooms, 13,500 square feet of meting space and a rooftop bar.

In a statement, Oxbow CEO Bill Shown said that the hotel will complement the ever-expanding Tobin Hill area, which has seen an explosion of dining, multifamily and office development in recent years.

"We are committed to creating outstanding experiences in San Antonio, and we are eager to bring another exciting hospitality offering to this thriving community," Shown said.

The new hotel would be in close proximity to the Hotel Emma, which has garnered international recognition since opening its doors in 2015. According to the Business Journal's Hotels List, the luxury hotel saw $13.99 million in total receipts from Jan. 1, 2022, to Oct. 31, 2022.

In an interview with the Business Journal, Shown said that as far as the hotel's design and aesthetics, the firm is working to differentiate it from Hotel Emma.

"We've got to make this hotel different than Emma," he said. "That's absolutely imperative. So, it will be beautiful and people will love it. We're working hard to distinguish it from Hotel Emma."

Don B. McDonald Architects is attached to the project. Dallas-based Swoon, The Studio is slated to be the interior designer. The company hopes to break ground in early 2024 and expects a two-year construction period."

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:11 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Interesting, I figured they'd develop their other Elmira river lot before this one since other one doesn't feel as permanent. And Don McDonald again of course, lol (do I even need to ask at this point?)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 8:25 PM

I dig it, at least the architecture will feel cohesive lol. That area is starting to get dense, it's too bad that Mira project fell through though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:43 AM

glad it'll be a more affordable option too. although that just means instead of $500-$800 a night, it'll be $250 to $450 a night, haha

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:36 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I dig it, at least the architecture will feel cohesive lol. That area is starting to get dense, it's too bad that Mira project fell through though.
I agree that was a bummer, but think of it as an opportunity for a new Don McDonald building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I agree that was a bummer, but think of it as an opportunity for a new Don McDonald building.
I believe that the Mira could still get developed. A lot of hurdles have already been cleared in terms of development applications. I think Sabot just does not have the capital/credit right now to get it off the ground.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 12:18 PM

Here is the HDRC case for the 8-story hotel by Oxbow aka "The Grove". Still don't have a brand mentioned for the hotel but this will be a of a very similar scale to Hotel Emma in terms of rooms but taller with some areas reaching 109'.
Interestingly, there are two smaller adjacent buildings planned on the same lot but since the hotel parking is planned across the street these may be retail/ dining potentially ?

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...=199511&type=2

In case anyone has trouble with the doc. , here are the elevations + site map

Last edited by CWalk99; Jul 18, 2023 at 1:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio