HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 1:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

I saw this on twitter and it made me think of this project....

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/sta...79782207127554

lol brutal!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:56 PM

That’s cruel.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:08 PM

That's a horror show.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 9:41 PM

that is so bad on every level

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 11:00 PM
Hammer'd

oof. thats definitely worse than demolition, even from an intensification point of view.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 7:23 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/sta...79782207127554

lol brutal!
*dies inside*

but hey, at least the original is still in there, for future generations to.. pry apart from whatever they build around it..

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

(already shown twice)

lol brutal!
Argh! That's bad. If the add-on had been stepped back at least behind the steeple, it would have at least been tolerable. Not good, but tolerable.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 5:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
Argh! That's bad. If the add-on had been stepped back at least behind the steeple, it would have at least been tolerable. Not good, but tolerable.
Not sure I can agree with even that balanced view.

I hope it was cheap, at least. It looks it, for sure.

There was discussion about this in the "Ugly Canada" thread on the national forum... and it's not even Canadian!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 8:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

I WOULD be curious to see the interior though. It's sad too because I have seen some really cool church to home conversions..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 5:23 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I WOULD be curious to see the interior though. It's sad too because I have seen some really cool church to home conversions..
The one on Main at West Ave. was done beautifully. And I think there was another near the Delta but it was converted a while back.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The one on Main at West Ave. was done beautifully. And I think there was another near the Delta but it was converted a while back.
I thought the same, but when you get up close you realize that conversion was done on the cheap and is quite ugly. Air conditioning units mounted on the walls, plumbing vents randomly placed on the roof, electrical conduit mounted on the exterior walls, cheap doors, cheap wood railings on the stairs.

Unfortunately the conversion at Main and West is definitely not one to be proud of.

But to get back on topic, does anyone know what the heck is actually happening with the Milborne Group and The Connolly? It was purchased in September of 2022, and we have heard literally zero about it since.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Mar 26, 2023 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 11:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I thought the same, but when you get up close you realize that conversion was done on the cheap and is quite ugly. Air conditioning units mounted on the walls, plumbing vents randomly placed on the roof, electrical conduit mounted on the exterior walls, cheap doors, cheap wood railings on the stairs.

Unfortunately the conversion at Main and West is definitely not one to be proud of.

But to get back on topic, does anyone know what the heck is actually happening with the Milborne Group and The Connolly? It was purchased in September of 2022, and we have heard literally zero about it since.
God is punishing them for their heresy of demolishing most of the church lol

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
There was discussion about this in the "Ugly Canada" thread on the national forum... and it's not even Canadian!
Ugly on that scale knows no boundaries.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 12:15 PM

City extends permit for stalled James Street Baptist condo project

What remains of partially razed church shows ‘no significant signs of structural distress,’ report says

Teviah Moro Spectator Reporter, May 3, 2023

The saga of a partially demolished downtown Hamilton church and a 30-storey condo tower long expected to rise from the rubble behind it has reached yet another milestone without shovels in the ground.

The city has extended the project’s heritage permit by a year with the expectation of regular condition updates from the property’s new owner on what remains of James Street Baptist during the continued preamble to construction.

“At this point in time, I’m anxious to see something go there,” says Janice Brown, a member of the municipal heritage committee.

In the meantime, an engineering report advises the church’s remaining facade and tower aren’t about to crumble but will need more attention as time marches on.

The masonry is in “poor condition,” but it “does not present an immediate risk to the public” and the stability of the structure, the analysis found.

Since it was knocked down nearly a decade ago, the 145-year-old semi-razed church still cuts a dramatic and forlorn profile on its weedy, debris-strewn lot at the corner of James and Jackson streets.

“Let’s get that cleaned up and let’s see something happen, especially when you look at our downtown core,” said Brown, who pointed to a host of other condo projects underway.

Like Brown, Coun. Cameron Kroetsch lamented the state of the partial church’s “backyard” and asked city staff if the developer could be urged to clean it up.

“I think it’s a potential opportunity to have some temporary green space until and whenever, if ever, this development gets built,” said Kroetsch, the downtown area’s new councillor.

The Connolly project has had more than one false start since a Toronto developer knocked the old church down in 2014.

Louie Santaguida had aspired to incorporate the facade into a future condo building, but in 2017, amid financial troubles, those efforts fizzled.

In 2019, Hue Developments bought the property and announced plans to resurrect the project with an infusion of capital.

Then in September 2022, Allen Le Nam said his firm, a subsidiary of a larger Vietnam-based corporation, had to pull the plug due to pandemic-related woes.

That’s around when 98 James South (2022) Inc. bought the parcel, according to property records.

Michael Budovitch, vice-president of special projects and business development with Milborne Group and listed as the ownership group’s director, didn’t respond to The Spectator’s request for a project update.

In a previous email, Budovitch noted his firm doesn’t own the property but is a consultant for the investor group.

Brown calls it a “good sign” the new proponents plan to monitor the condition of the church remnant amid the stalled development plans.

Recent “crack monitor” reviews commissioned by the property owner showed “no significant signs of structural distress,” city staff noted in a report before the heritage committee.

But the facade needs restoration, and the longer that’s delayed, the more its “cost and scope” are expected to escalate.

Gillam Group, the Connolly’s construction manager, didn’t respond to a request for comment but offers a project overview on its website.

Among its “key challenges” is the logistics of building a tower on a “very tight” piece of land.

“The site does not easily accommodate an efficient layout, thereby requiring close integration between the design and construction team to optimize the design.”

Teviah Moro is a reporter at The Spectator. tmoro@thespec.com

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...velopment.html

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 1:01 PM

"does not pose an immediate risk"...as in this week, next month, next spring windy day.

its scary just driving by.

ball dropped here big time, lots of blame to go around.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:34 PM

definitely the biggest eye sore in an area with many blemishes.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 3:45 PM

Does anyone know the identity of the "investor group" that's behind "98 James South (2022) Inc."? Seems weird that they paid a humongous amount of money for this property but still haven't announced anything and are being so cagey.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:15 PM

I may be mistaken but thought I read somewhere that the same group working 75 James S bought up this lot.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:23 PM

Liuna? No I don't think so

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloops View Post
I may be mistaken but thought I read somewhere that the same group working 75 James S bought up this lot.
I don't think it is Liuna and their partners who own this lot. If it was we'd be seeing lots of action.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton