HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
The ranking is from 2020, which is sort of the height of the recent tech bubble and tech was at least 25% of the US S&P index and the top 5 companies were all tech. I wonder if cities like Austin will remain as highly ranked now that the bubble has been deflated. Similarly, someone said Houston was once an Alpha city and that was probably when energy was 25% of the S&P index; now it is less than 5%, but I think the current Beta ranking is appropriate even with the rebound in energy. It will be interesting to see if London retains its highest ranking in 2030 or 2040 now that the UK has left the EU and some companies are leaving for the EU. It will probably remain Alpha but fall down a notch.
Austin is still riding the tech bubble. It never did burst here other than Facebook backing out of one building. Austin's growth and economy is still one of the strongest in the U.S. I am happy Austin did get as high as it did. Being ranked with cities line Minneapolis. Although in a few years we will be approaching Denver or Dallas level here soon.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
LINK: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/g...orld2020t.html

In each grouping, Smuttynose1 ordered cities alphabetically but there's actually some variation within each group. For Canada/US cities, the study ranking is as follows:

ALPHA++
1. New York

ALPHA
2. Los Angeles
3. Toronto
4. Chicago

ALPHA-
5. San Francisco
6. Montreal
7. Boston

BETA+
8. Washington
9. Dallas
10. Miami
11. Houston
12. Atlanta
13. Vancouver

BETA
14. Denver
15. Philadelphia
16. Seattle

BETA-
17. Calgary
18. Tampa
19. Minneapolis
20. San Diego
21. Detroit
22. Austin
Did they last update the list in 2020 or 2000? I'm a little confused.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:15 PM

Really confused as to why you consider Chicago more important than LA on a national scale!?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:43 PM
Never Dell

LA's port and manufacturing are important. It's bigger in higher ed. But Chicago is an incredibly important hub for freight and commodities trading, a business behemoth, and a manufacturing center as well. It's hard to choose between the two.

As for GaWC, I'm glad some have pointed out its limitations. Last I looked it was about "connectivity," measured by the regional offices of certain organizations in a few fields. Very little about "importance" was covered...not HQs, ports, trading exchanges, universities, governments...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
LA's port and manufacturing are important. It's bigger in higher ed. But Chicago is an incredibly important hub for freight and commodities trading, a business behemoth, and a manufacturing center as well. It's hard to choose between the two.
Overall, it isn't hard to say that LA is presently more important than Chicago. It's much bigger, much richer, and has much more global cultural capital.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

As for GaWC, I'm glad some have pointed out its limitations. Last I looked it was about "connectivity," measured by the regional offices of certain organizations in a few fields. Very little about "importance" was covered...not HQs, ports, trading exchanges, universities, governments...
Ah yes, because LA's port and manufacturing are what comes to mind when people think of Los Angeles. How about being the global hub of the entertainment industry? That alone would make LA more globally important than Chicago, imo.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:08 PM

Montreal above Washington DC is pretty bizarre as well.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
As mhays said, the GaWC measures the degree of connectivity a city has with as many other cities across the globe as possible in a selection of exportable sectors.

Washington DC has a lot of connection with global cities in a sector that's not really an export industry: government.

Montreal is not Canada's most important city anymore, but it still has the Canadian head offices of some multinationals, it has the actual HQs of companies in a range of sectors that do a lot of international business - like Bombardier aerospace, and it has Canada's biggest cluster in certain areas like biotech.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Yes, Montreal's ranking is a little odd. I would think it would now rank around the same level as Vancouver. Also Denver ranking above Seattle and Philly is strange, and Tampa's relative high ranking, above Detroit and Austin is quite odd.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:54 PM

That's some old ass data. Important cities should further the culture and offer innovation but should be well balanced and obtainable. I don't think I would include places like Seattle, DC or San Francisco any more. They have just become repositories of high income group think. Honestly outside of New York, Chicago, Toronto and maybe Los Angeles or Boston, the most important cities right now are going to be immigrant havens of the south. Dallas, Houston and Atlanta are the most important cities under 9 million.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
As mhays said, the GaWC measures the degree of connectivity a city has with as many other cities across the globe as possible in a selection of exportable sectors.
I mean, it claims to, and I haven't read their business rules, but it doesn't make a lot sense.

Degree of non-domestic connectivity is basically determined by relative size of domestic market. It doesn't make sense to say that Monaco is more global than LA bc the domestic market is tiny.

And I see a lot of city rankings that don't make sense. Detroit is the undisputed global capital of one of the most important global industries, and every global supplier has a Detroit-area location. Yet Detroit is always ranking down with Bratislava and Edmonton.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:03 PM

GaWC has some flawed rankings, as has been discussed on here before. I think the 10 most important US Cities are the 10 with the largest economies, no?

List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP

1. NYC - $1.772T
2. Los Angeles - $1.047T
3. Chicago - $689B
4. San Francisco - $548B
5. DC - $540B
6. Dallas - $512B
7. Houston - $478B
8. Boston - $463B
9. Philadelphia - $444B
10. Atlanta - $397B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean, it claims to, and I haven't read their business rules, but it doesn't make a lot sense.

Degree of non-domestic connectivity is basically determined by relative size of domestic market. It doesn't make sense to say that Monaco is more global than LA bc the domestic market is tiny.

And I see a lot of city rankings that don't make sense. Detroit is the undisputed global capital of one of the most important global industries, and every global supplier has a Detroit-area location. Yet Detroit is always ranking down with Bratislava and Edmonton.
I didn't read their methodology either, but if you asked me to spitball how to measure this, I'd probably use some technique like a diversity index where the final score is a function of both the number of connections and the size of each connection. Obviously, if you have a $100 billion worth of business exchanged between two cities that should count more than $5 million worth of business between one city and 200 others.

Speaking about Detroit, I'm not sure I would say it's the "undisputed" capital of the automotive world. All the foreign OEMs that make and sell cars in the US have their American HQ somewhere else, while GM and Ford seem to let their foreign subsidiaries operate with more independence than I think happens the other way around.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any ranking that puts NYC below other American cities is absurd.

But then again, any ranking that puts Osaka on the same level as Guatemala City is also absurd.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Speaking about Detroit, I'm not sure I would say it's the "undisputed" capital of the automotive world. All the foreign OEMs that make and sell cars in the US have their American HQ somewhere else, while GM and Ford seem to let their foreign subsidiaries operate with more independence than I think happens the other way around.
That's because those HQs are mostly offices for sales and marketing. It makes sense for them to be closer to major media centers than to Detroit.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of auto jobs are with suppliers. The global suppliers are all in the Detroit area. It's the only place on earth you have to be as a global supplier.

Yes, for auto firms, the front-offices often aren't in Detroit, but the engineering is almost always around Detroit and the engineering ranks are much more consequential than the front-office ranks. GM Tech offices in Warren are bigger and more important than GM HQ in Downtown Detroit. If you want to work on Mercedes powertrain software you have to be in Detroit, even if North American offices are in Atlanta area. Those are marketing jobs.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:38 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Ah yes, because LA's port and manufacturing are what comes to mind when people think of Los Angeles. How about being the global hub of the entertainment industry? That alone would make LA more globally important than Chicago, imo.
Some would define that as influence, not importance.

If the entertainment industry went away tomorrow, a lot of people would lack jobs but the rest of us would be bored at worst.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

It’s semantics, but it definitely makes sense to say Monaco has a greater share of its economic activity that’s “nondomestic” than Los Angeles; I just wouldn’t make the leap to calling that “more global”.

Now, whether that one metric has any importance is a different question

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:04 PM

Where's Jacksonville on this list?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I mean, sure, it's always the usual suspects, no surprises just validation of what we already know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions