HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: If you won lottery money, would you move to a new locale?
Nah, I'm good where I'm at 58 65.91%
Probably, I do have a "dream" city 15 17.05%
Hard Yes, I can't leave fast enough 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 6:21 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
“There’s no place like home”. Amusing how true this is.

You’re in the Bay Area, but you’d rather live in Houston. You’re only in the Bay Area for $ / opportunity.

Contrast that with, say, what homebucket would say. He would probably not move to Houston, even for a better opportunity than what he’s currently got.
Interestingly, technically JManc is from upstate NY but he’d rather be in Houston.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 7:20 PM

I would definitely maintain a primary residence in Chicago and pick up a second home somewhere warm to escape the peak of winter. Although with WFH flexibility now the peak of winter is really nothing like it was when I had to commute 5 days a week in it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Interestingly, technically JManc is from upstate NY but he’d rather be in Houston.
I’m a bit like JManc as I lived in Vancouver for most of the year 2020 but I was only there for the $.

(Southern) California is one of the places I could see myself living full time. (It’s a compliment )

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 2:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Loads of humble brag in this thread
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:40 PM

Don’t ask questions if you don’t want answers

It’s clear to me there are three tiers to this question:

Tier 1 feels trapped and doesn’t like their current city; would relocate if it were realistic right now.

Tier 2 is okay with their current location, isn’t trapped there, but also wouldn’t necessarily stay there in an “unlimited money” scenario. (Example, me)

Tier 3 likes their general area so much that they’d remain based there even in an “unlimited money” situation (example, homebucket in NorCal, I’m pretty sure).

The question asked in the OP is “are you in Tier 1 or not?”

The distinction between Tiers 2 and 3 is a different question.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 4:38 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I’m a bit like JManc as I lived in Vancouver for most of the year 2020 but I was only there for the $.

(Southern) California is one of the places I could see myself living full time. (It’s a compliment )
I absolutely love living here and if I were 10 years younger, i wouldn't look back but life and family back in Houston and hard to permanently uproot after a while.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:56 PM
Pay it Forward

We'd stay here, We just finished renovating our house and I won't do that again.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:14 PM

Re-reading the OP and I would stay here in the Philly suburbs because I have school aged kids. Also $5m isn't that much money. I wouldn't even upgrade from our modest townhome either. I would certainly align retirement to the age our children finish school and then I would base myself in Philly for a few months out of the year and travel the world.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
How about Sedona? The photos I've seen of Sedona show an unbelievably beautiful setting for a city.
It has never been at the top of my list for whatever reason. I think my perception of it (rightly or wrongly) is that it is a town of (1) wealthy retirees, (2) tourists, (3) new age/crystal people or some combination of the three, and those things are just not really my scene. I'm sure that's not everyone, but when gauging that ineffable sense of whether a place fits your personality, Sedona has never felt like home. It's also a very small town of ~10k, which is probably too small for me. Flagstaff by contrast is a metro of ~150k, and Prescott has ~250k.

Then as far as beautiful natural settings go, while I agree the red rocks are beautiful, I am more drawn to forested ponderosa pine areas, hence Flagstaff or potentially Prescott as far as Central/Northern Arizona towns.

All that said, I'd probably still move out of the Phoenix area to Sedona if the game was "you win the lottery and get $5m and have to move to Sedona." I'd be looking north of town in Oak Creek Canyon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 9:20 PM

I really am dumbfounded by the desire of some people to own a multitude of homes. Two? Okay. Perhaps one for urban summer living and another as a tropical winter getaway, both of which can be used as springboards for world travel. But why three, four, five, six, etc., and that includes celebrities and billionaires? I don't see the point, and it just strikes me as the height of profligacy, hedonism, and wastefulness. Two residences are already a luxury not available to 99% of people.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:37 AM
E pluribus unum

Sedona would be great if nobody lived there. Traffic is absolutely awful, a lot of the retail and resort workers were priced out and commute from Cottonwood and Camp Verde. AirBnB also forced a lot of people out.

I think Flagstaff's population is around 75k, but the 150k number is the entirety of Coconino County, which is larger in area than most states back east.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:08 PM

Only $5 million, though??? This is an interesting topic as I just got back from a week in Southern California. . . that's my second trip there of this year alone. . . everyone keeps asking if I'm planning on moving out there, but it's pretty unrealistic given the costs. . . however:

I've been living in Chicago since 1992 and been in Chicagoland my entire life essentially - with my folks up in Kenosha and my sister/family in Skokie. . . have friends still here in the city. . . work is here. . . but:

Recently I've been having an existential crisis after realizing that I've lived here in the city for 30 years and coming out of the covid lockdowns has really changed a lot of people - myself included - having lost a lot of close family-adjacent due to old age/cancer/death and a complicated long-term relationship slowly undoing itself - I've been seriously thinking about what the fuck I'm going to do with the little time I have left on this planet. . .

I've always wanted to live in Germany (my mother is from there) and although I travel there every couple years, it doesn't seem like it's enough. . . I feel like I could do better for myself if I immersed in the lifestyle, but it's more of a long term goal perhaps. . .

I've also thought about retiring in Mexico as it's much more affordable - downright cheap, in fact - relatively safe compared to the U.S. and the people are a a billion times more friendly and empathetic from a cultural standpoint. . . though this too is more of a long term goal perhaps. . .

Then I think that if money were no object I would just move to L.A. and settle into a beach community like Laguna Beach and just enjoy my days walking around taking in the beautiful weather. . . but then that would get old and essentially be like living in a place like Lake Geneva, WI where you would eventually get tired of the same old shops and restaurants. . . finally L.A. is too far from Europe to make travel convenient. . . Southern California is a giant secluded bubble unto itself surrounded by desert and ocean which might just get too boring. . . So with only $5 million to spend on this fantasy:

I'd probably upgrade my living situation into a larger condo, probably in the same Lakeshore East neighborhood here in Chicago with at least two bedrooms. . . after all, O'hare is the most connected airport on the planet and I can get to every continent on Earth just by hailing a cab and hopping on an international flight. . .

Well that was a fun game. . . now back to work. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:53 PM

If money was no object, I'd move to a better home in a better neighbourhood of my city.

Toronto has its share of problems, but it's home. I grew up not far from here, most of my friends are here, most of my family is here, most of my memories are here, I know the city like the back of my hand and I feel like I belong here and am intrinsically invested in how the city grows.

I also have kids. When you have kids, not only do they grow up here and make friends and connections, but you also learn the ins and outs of what it takes to raise kids in your city. You know where the best sports camps are, or who offers the best swimming lessons. You know how to navigate the daycare system. You know which activities to take them to on a rainy day. There's a lot of acquired and "local" knowledge to raising kids in a certain city that you can't just swap out for another place without having to start from scratch.

A vacation home in a warm winter spot would be nice, but I'd more likely just AirBnB or VRBO a top of the line home in a different place every winter than buy a vacation home.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

I also have kids. When you have kids, not only do they grow up here and make friends and connections,
this is one consideration that i'm acutely aware of because my wife and I had pretty different childhoods.

from the moment i was born until i left home for college, i lived in the same house the entire time, so my social world was extremely stable growing up. one time when i was about 6, my dad was offered a big opportunity to move up in his company, but it would've required a move out of state. he ended up finding a new job with a different firm locally instead.

my wife's dad, on the other hand, was a hardcore corporate ladder climber. her earliest years were spent in a house in milwaukee, then they moved to south korea for several years because of her dad's job, then they moved back to suburban milwaukee for several years, then off again to colorado for another job transfer during her junior high years, and finally back again to suburban milwaukee for her high school years.

my wife HATED being uprooted so frequently during her childhood and still resents it to a degree as a 43 year old. she found it exceedingly challenging to reconstruct her entire social life every 3 to 4 years while growing up.

it's a big reason why i don't think we'd even buy a different house if we hit the jackpot. we love our home, our block, our neighbors, our kids' school, our neighborhood, etc.

there are some really wonderful intangibles about where we live that you can't even necessarily buy, you kinda just have to luck your way into them sometimes. and we did.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 4, 2022 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this is one consideration that i'm acutely aware of because my wife and I had pretty different childhoods.

from the moment i was born until i left home for college, i lived in the same house, so my social world was extremely stable growing up. one time when i was about 6, my dad was offered a big opportunity to move up in his company, but it would've required a move out of state. he ended up finding a new job with a different firm locally.

my wife's dad, on the other hand, was a hardcore corporate ladder climber. her earliest years were spent in a house in milwaukee, then they moved to south korea for several years because of her dad's job, then they moved back to suburban milwaukee for several years, then off again to boulder for another job transfer during her junior high years, and finally back again to suburban milwaukee for her high school years.

my wife HATED being uprooted so frequently during her childhood and still resents it to a degree as a 43 year old. she found it exceedingly challenging to reconstruct her entire social life every 3 to 4 years.

it's a big reason why i don't think we'd even buy a different house if we hit the jackpot. we love our home, our block, our neighbors, our kids' school, our neighborhood, etc.

there are some wonderful intangibles about where we live that you can't even necessarily buy, you kinda have to luck your way into them.
The real question is if you'd try to buy out the other units in your building though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The real question is if you'd try to buy out the other units in your building though.
that's an interesting thing to consider.

zillow estimates the two upstairs units in our building are worth ~$400K (in fact one of 'em just got sold last month, but the closing price hasn't come to light yet), so with $5M cash on hand we could certainly swing that, even if we had to go a bit above market to convince a reluctant seller.

perhaps not the absolute smartest thing to do with that kinda money at the moment with rising interest rates and falling real estate prices, but if we waited for a more favorable buying environment, it would give us control over who our building neighbors are (not that we've ever had bad ones, but all it takes is one bad apple, one time.....), produce some cash-flow for us, and also likely take care of our property taxes (a fairly major-ish issue in chicago).

there's also that empty 2-flat immediately nextdoor to us that's been totally vacant for nearly 30 years now..........

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 4, 2022 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:48 PM

Yep. Id move to Los Angeles. Buy some cool bungalow in Sherman Oaks and live a nice blue pilled valley life of chain restaurants and conspicuous consumerism. 100 percent not kidding. Ive got the budget version of that plan worked out too. Someplace like King of Prussia, PA, Beachwood, OH, Novi, Michigan. Red Robin here I come.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Ive got the budget version of that plan worked out too. Someplace like King of Prussia, PA, Beachwood, OH, Novi, Michigan. Red Robin here I come.
i see Schaumburg in your future.....

i mean hey, if you're looking for craptacular sprawl america, why not go to the capital of it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i see Schaumburg in your future.....

i mean hey, if you're looking for craptacular sprawl america, why not go to the capital of it.
You have discerning taste. I love Schaumburg too. Woodfield Mall is one of my favorites! Its a Taubman mall too if you recognize their handiwork.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
You have discerning taste. I love Schaumburg too. Woodfield Mall is one of my favorites!
with something like 75% of the land in the woodfield area reserved for surface parking lots, at least you know you'll never be without a parking spot.

throw in the 8 lane roads, the double left hand turn lanes, the lack of sidewalks/crosswalks and their obstructive pedestrians; it's a full-blown automobile paradise.

a place built of, by, and for cars!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions