HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
In Texas, the deadline is 30 days from the time you move here to when you have to register. Of course, if the cops become stretched too thin here as in other places, I'm betting people will get away with it. My brother in law got hit at a 4 way stop - not his fault, and the cops told them straight up they wouldn't come out for a report unless someone was injured or the vehicles weren't driveable. So it might be poetic that we're getting a bunch of Californians coming here.

Still, I see a ton of out of state plates here from all over the place. In the last month that I can remember, I've seen plates from California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Missouri, Tennessee, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey...?

As for the weather, I suspect people will adapt. I always think about what life was like for people who lived in the south well before air conditioning. I've been able to trace my roots back to Georgia to at least 1793. I always look at the Texas Capitol and an amazed that thing existed before air conditioning. I think what the street must have been like from drought to flood. I do much better in warm weather. I just hate cold weather and always have. I was already cringing last week when our morning lows were in the upper 40s, but our high today of 91F felt great.

And what I meant by "this fits" is just that California has a lot more people than say, Wyoming, which even though is closer to me, I pretty much never see any cars from there. I also see a lot of people here from Florida, and for some reason, I've been seeing more from New Jersey, which is a bit odd.

I love San Antonio and am totally biased about it on certain things - I was born there, but it has a different feel than the other Texas cities, and I'm not talking about the Mexican culture and old world charm its downtown has. I sort of think that wild growth that the other Texas cities have seen recently hasn't quite happened in San Antonio. That's not to say there isn't any, but there are places there that don't look like they've changed in 40 or 50 years.

Anyway, San Antonio has plenty of weather issues to worry with. They're 80 miles closer to the coast than Austin is and have had full on hurricanes falling apart over the city dumping rain down there. They're also farther west at the same time. Anyway, the Riverwalk is a gem and I don't care who doesn't know it. There are plenty of good places to go there that aren't tourist orgies and that are legit San Antonio.
My mother was born in San Antonio. I like the city. Much more relaxing in a way than Houston or Dallas or Austin, but still bustling at an easier pace. Enough rain to be green and treed, river walk is 1st rate, the Alamo and other missions, Texmex food and vibe, proximity to scenic hill country and Austin, housing bargains. Probably the most historic and romantic city in Texas, where you can still feel the past yet also be tied to the present and future. Yeah, a pretty good place to live. El Paso is an even older city (founded 1681--I went to the tricentennial in 1981) and has a similar feel, but is so far west as to almost be in Arizona, and looks like Arizona too. Doesn't feel as linked to the rest of Texas like San Antonio is. El Paso is a city apart from the rest of the state, and might be as close to San Diego as to Dallas or Houston.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 20, 2021 at 11:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I wonder how these Californians are going to handle the humidity. Or vastly inferior beaches.
I've never done Houston in the summer, but my brother has done both Tokyo and Houston in early August. Even though Tokyo clocked in worse, he says Houston felt worse because in Tokyo, you're walking everywhere, taking trains and subways, and are still just out and about - so you acclimate. You get used to stewing, basically. Plus, Japanese don't like strong AC and keep things at 26-27 C (around 80 F). Contrast that with Houston, where you're going from AC'ed house to AC'ed car to AC'ed mall/restaurant/office building and back to the AC'ed car. And that's some Texas-strength, 20 C / 68 F AC. So of course the brief time you're exposed to outside, it feels extra bad.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Does the article state if there was any reverse migration from Harris to LA county? That would be interesting to know too.
Per latest (2019) Census ACS estimates:

8408 Californians moved to Harris County, 6309 people from Harris moved TO California, net change is +2099. LA County accounts for almost all of the net increase. 19 out of the 34 California counties listed had more people arrive from Harris County than moved to Harris County.

California counties with most movement to/from/net Harris County:
Los Angeles 3,263/1,250/+2,013 (greatest net gain)
San Diego 840/484/+356
Santa Clara 251/744/-493 (greatest net loss)
Sacramento 43/327/-284
San Bernardino 402/476/-74
Orange 380/362/+18
Contra Costa 497/207/+290

Last edited by benp; Oct 20, 2021 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I mean, this fits with me seeing more California license plates in Texas than any other out of state plates. It's a numbers game, and Houston has an edge.

That's because there's more Californians than anywhere else.
Its the same thing when I lived on the east coast. You saw more ny plates in VA or NC..
Didn't see alot of Delaware plates , because not many people live there.

Either way, these are small numbers percentage wise.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post

8408 Californians moved to Harris County, 6309 people from Harris moved TO California, net change is +2099. LA County accounts for almost all of the net increase. 19 out of the 34 California counties listed had more people arrive from Harris County than moved to Harris County.

San Diego 840/484/+356
Sacramento 43/327/-284
Orange 380/362/+18
So a much larger percentage of Harris County moved to California and LA county than vice versa.
What I figured.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post

San Diego 840/484/+356
Sacramento 43/327/-284
Orange 380/362/+18
So there's basically no California-Texas (or Los Angeles-Houston) migration wave. We just have Americans constantly moving everywhere, all the time, the way the like to do.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
3,000? from La County? Not sure how this is even news.
So 6-7k from Southern California? Out of 22 million?
Oh geez...You can chill. This is NOT a "Californians are all moving to Texas" thread. This is an "Among Californians who do move to Texas, Houston is the top destination" thread.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
That's because there's more Californians than anywhere else.
Its the same thing when I lived on the east coast. You saw more ny plates in VA or NC..
Didn't see alot of Delaware plates , because not many people live there.

Either way, these are small numbers percentage wise.
Actually, that's not necessarily always the case. In the late 70s/early 80s, Michigan plates were seen constantly in Houston. Michigan certainly was not the most populous state.

Anyway, unknot your knickers. This thread is not claiming a huge outmigration from California.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
So there's basically no California-Texas (or Los Angeles-Houston) migration wave. We just have Americans constantly moving everywhere, all the time, the way the like to do.
It's been very overblown by certain media

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The River Walk is nice? You’d love Navy Pier or Fanieul Hall. Or I can’t remember which pier in San Francisco, but whichever one has the Bubba Gump Shrimp location.
I think of the River Walk as America's most scenic food court. At least the parts in Downtown. The River Walk outside of Downtown is more park like...not commercial.

The River Walk doesn't play much of a part in the lives of people who actually live here...unless they work there. That is why I prefer Houston...it is just a much more interesting and lively place to be than San Antonio. That's only my opinion, of course.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:49 PM

The River Walk is nice for what it is but they definitely oversell that place.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Oh geez...You can chill. This is NOT a "Californians are all moving to Texas" thread. This is an "Among Californians who do move to Texas, Houston is the top destination" thread.
Are we sure that's true though? Do we have city or metro numbers? Going by county is... a bit problematic for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:51 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
It's been very overblown by certain media
Not at all. When we are repeatedly losing California grown companies to Texas because it has a much better business climate, lower taxes and cleaner streets (just to name a few), then the media should be asking questions in order to hold our State politicians accountable. Outward migration is just one aspect of that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Not at all. When we are repeatedly losing California grown companies to Texas because it has a much better business climate, lower taxes and cleaner streets (just to name a few), then the media should be asking questions in order to hold our State politicians accountable. Outward migration is just one aspect of that.

Percentage wise, it's over blown. Yes.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Are we sure that's true though? Do we have city or metro numbers? Going by county is... a bit problematic for obvious reasons.
Urban counties in Texas are much smaller in area than LA County. No part of Harris County would be considered outside of Houston's metro area.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
So a much larger percentage of Harris County moved to California and LA county than vice versa.
That makes sense, given that California/LA county is a much larger place than is Harris County.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I've never done Houston in the summer, but my brother has done both Tokyo and Houston in early August. Even though Tokyo clocked in worse, he says Houston felt worse because in Tokyo, you're walking everywhere, taking trains and subways, and are still just out and about - so you acclimate. You get used to stewing, basically. Plus, Japanese don't like strong AC and keep things at 26-27 C (around 80 F). Contrast that with Houston, where you're going from AC'ed house to AC'ed car to AC'ed mall/restaurant/office building and back to the AC'ed car. And that's some Texas-strength, 20 C / 68 F AC. So of course the brief time you're exposed to outside, it feels extra bad.
I absolutely could not handle either. And keeping indoor temperatures at 26-27C is absolutely insane. Inside should never be over 22C, because obviously there’s no breeze.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
That makes sense, given that California/LA county is a much larger place than is Harris County.
Yes, people move. Not sure what the story is here.
People from a populous County moved to another populous County and it happens vice versa.
I

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Even Houstonians complain about the frigid temps in public buildings in summer. And you've hit upon the secret truth about cars that contemporary urban planners tend to ignore: Cars are an extension of air-conditioned space and protection from extreme elements for Texans.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, people move. Not sure what the story is here.
People from a populous County moved to another populous County and it happens vice versa.
I
The story here is more are moving to Houston even though the perception is more are moving to Austin. This thread is not about California. It's about Texas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions