HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
LOL, they say the base will have the appearance of porcelain.
It looks like concrete panels, I don't think it will be real terracotta which is probably what they are referring to. They can't even get the terminology right on what they are trying to imitate.
The description on the website is poorly-written, but there are porcelain facade systems available nowadays. Basically just the same porcelain tiles you'd put in a bathroom, but a little thicker and hung on a clip system instead of being mortared. Just like with tiles, the surface of the porcelain can be printed to resemble anything from natural stone to fabric to wood to concrete.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The description on the website is poorly-written, but there are porcelain facade systems available nowadays. Basically just the same porcelain tiles you'd put in a bathroom, but a little thicker and hung on a clip system instead of being mortared. Just like with tiles, the surface of the porcelain can be printed to resemble anything from natural stone to fabric to wood to concrete.
Hmm, ok I didn't know about that, that's interesting. If that is what they are using, then I withdraw my comment. If they are using that porcelain facade system the base might look quite handsome.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:23 PM

I believe the material on 444 Orleans that Harry posted pictures of a few pages back is a similar porcelain product or competitor. We are seeing it specified on more and more buildings these days. When done well, it can look pretty nice as an alternative to the real stuff that it is mimicking.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgc View Post
I believe the material on 444 Orleans that Harry posted pictures of a few pages back is a similar porcelain product or competitor. We are seeing it specified on more and more buildings these days. When done well, it can look pretty nice as an alternative to the real stuff that it is mimicking.
Dekton

Nov 4

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:52 AM

^Am I the only one whom thinks this doesn't look good?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:28 AM

^^ It's above average.

I heard the Elbo Room in Lakeview is closing. Hopefully it finds a new owner, and can stay open as a music venue.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^Am I the only one whom thinks this doesn't look good?
Nope

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm not not saying that I don't think it doesn't look good.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:17 PM

The fake marble look is atrocious, but I can see it looking awesome if used in a way that doesn't ape other materials. I feel the same way about using tile in my units, I would NEVER use that fake stone or wood print tile, but there are a ton of tiles out there with geometric or "scraped" surfaces that look awesome.

I'll never understand why so many human beings are infatuated with imitation materials. It doesn't ever age well, all you need to do is ride in a late model Buick with plastic wood to know that...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
^^ It's above average.
Above average compared to what? It's a combination of a bunch of trendy crap thrown at a building in the most haphazard of ways.

Unfortunately gray, white, and fake marble are also taking over the elevator lobbies of our building in a similarly tacky way. I guess we can look at it as providing for future opportunities when someone decides to rip it down and do something different in 10 years.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:27 PM

Well like any art it's the way you use the materials and not the materials themselves that determine great art. That building has crappy proportions and done in a haphazard way. If they had used elegant proportions it would be much better.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:51 PM

Does anyone have a clue when 123 S Peoria is supposed to break ground? Drove past on the Green side this morning and could swear I saw construction equipment behind the fence....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:32 PM

the "marble" is Bad but the bigger issue is the continued awful trend of thinking that three random facades slapped together for no discernible reason is somehow a Good Idea

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Oh mylord lord lord lord, preach it, mmmmhmm mmhmm

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the "marble" is Bad but the bigger issue is the continued awful trend of thinking that three random facades slapped together for no discernible reason is somehow a Good Idea
It looks like a mockup for a tradeshow where some building supplies company wanted to show off all of the their new exterior finish options.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
It looks like a mockup for a tradeshow where some building supplies company wanted to show off all of the their new exterior finish options.
Spot on. I didn't think it was possible for them to make that poor little loft building any worse than the 1970s popcorn finish that was there. Yet somehow they pulled it off...

Hopefully someone will rip all this shit off again in 40 years and restore it properly with actual face brick.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:01 PM

Sears Redevelopment

From Late September - Green Roof and Outdoor Deck

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:51 PM

Application filed with the city Landmarks Commission to demolish the buildings at the corner of Fulton and Sangamon (911-921 W Fulton/217-219 N Sangamon St). They're non-contributing members of the new(ish) Fulton-Randolph Market Historic District.

Anyone jog my memory what's been proposed here?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:53 PM

Speaking of west loop, Fulton Galley food hall is closing after only 6 months.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/11/7/...6AYQRUW6R37WUw

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Application filed with the city Landmarks Commission to demolish the buildings at the corner of Fulton and Sangamon (911-921 W Fulton/217-219 N Sangamon St). They're non-contributing members of the new(ish) Fulton-Randolph Market Historic District.

Anyone jog my memory what's been proposed here?
Not positive but this development will run down Sangamon between Fulton and Lake although its official address is on Lake

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/26...ce-lake-street

or its

Fulton St. Companies, a venture bankrolled by Oak Brook-based Huizenga Capital Management, is under contract to buy more than half an acre at the southeast corner of Fulton Market and Sangamon Street from longtime food wholesaler Nealey Foods, according to Fulton St. founder Alex Najem, who plans to redevelop the property with a large office and retail project.

From Crains 06/19

Last edited by SteelMonkey; Nov 7, 2019 at 9:56 PM. Reason: Add

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development