HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 1:03 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Plus! I haven't seen this info in any Austin area media.
With all the downsizing and consolidation of local newspapers and media nationwide .... I seriously wouldn't mind a good well-funded regional media company covering all of central and south Texas.... particularly Austin, San Antonio, Temple-Killeen, Corpus Christi, Bryan-College Station etc......

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:42 AM

Anyone know what is going in the old Cane Rosso space at 4715 S Lamar Blvd?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:13 AM

Southern-inspired chain Chicken Salad Chick is coming to Austin

https://www.statesman.com/story/busi...ns/7767523001/

Chicken Salad Chick, a Southern inspired restaurant chain that specializes in chicken salad, is coming to Austin.

The brand, which has grown swiftly and built a loyal following since opening its first restaurant in Auburn, Alabama, in 2008, plans to open eight locations in Austin over the next three years as part of a broader expansion in Texas.

The company announced eight new locations in San Antonio last year and currently operates 21 restaurants in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:15 AM

Dough Boys co-founder opening Side Eye Pie pizza trailer at Meanwhile Brewing Co.

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...rs/7765631001/

Tony Curet wasn’t out of the pizza business for long. The co-founder of Dough Boys closed that trailer at Meanwhile Brewing Co. in May, but Curet announced Tuesday that he is already prepared to fire up a new pizza operation.

Pizza trailer Side Eye Pie will open on July 8 at the IPA-loving brewery in Southeast Austin (3901 Promontory Point Drive). Curet, who grew up working in his aunt’s bakery, will use a blend of flours from Barton Springs Mill to bake pies in a post oak wood-burning oven. The sauce and meats are organic, with ingredients sourced from partners like Hi-Fi Mycology and Iron Ox Farms.

Curet, whose career includes time working for the Hillstone Restaurant Group, describes his pizza as “Texas style,” the pies having a supple but not soupy center and a puffed crust.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:20 AM

Don't call it a comeback (yet): New music venues could open up on East Sixth Street

https://www.kut.org/austin/2022-06-3...t-sixth-street

A developer that owns multiple properties on East Sixth Street wants to revitalize the area and turn a handful of spots into music venues in a part of downtown that's seen other venues leave in recent years.

At a recent special meeting of the Austin Music Commission, Caitlyn Ryan laid out what she'd like to see in the area in the near future. Ryan is the vice president of Stream Realty, which owns several properties along East Sixth. She's also an Austinite, who says one of her many goals is "to bring Emo’s, in any way, shape or form" back downtown.

Chad Swiatecki wrote about the details of the proposal in a piece for the Austin Monitor. He says buildings like the former Easy Tiger location and Buffalo Billiards are among sites where Stream Realty would like to bring live music.

While the plans are still in development, he says it's a step in the right direction for an industry that's been devastated by the pandemic and coronavirus restrictions.

This conversation has been edited lightly for clarity.

KUT: Let's talk about this special called meeting of the Austin Music Commission to discuss plans for East Sixth Street. Tell us a little bit about the developer and what they envision?

Swiatecki: The company is called Stream Realty Partners. They're based out of Dallas, but they've got a very strong presence here in Austin and one of their senior vice presidents, Caitlyn Ryan, is an Austinite.

In recent years, they've purchased a little over 30 storefronts along Sixth Street, the entertainment district that we know so warmly is Dirty Sixth. They want to revitalize and remake that as some new uses — offices, hotels, kind of get some daytime usage going — and to bring some more music venues to the area that has kind of lost them gradually over the past decade.

How many music venues do they want to bring to the area, and which properties would they replace along East Sixth?

I don't think it's a firm number yet; there are just some details shared at the meeting last week of six potential sites. There could be more, I don't know. They showed all of their cards here, because obviously there's quite a bit of negotiating going on for leases and construction.

But they mentioned specifically the former Easy Tiger property could be the site of three restaurants that would include live music. The former Buffalo Billiards spot is going to become something called the Missouri House, which traces back to its opening as a lodging hall back in the early days of Austin.

You've got the former Dirty Dog, which was a metal bar, being eyed for a music venue. Then there is a kind of nondescript location given for something that would be kind of underground. When I say underground, I don't mean kind of fringe, I mean kind of literally a below-ground music venue.

There were six details given and then the senior VP for Stream Realty — who, as I said, is an Austinite — specifically said that she wants Emo's in some way, shape or form to return to the district. Emo's is one of the founding kind of independent rock clubs that left the area in 2011, so she wants to bring that back as well. So that's seven, I guess. I detailed six in my story, but you've got seven possibly there.

You said Stream Realty sort of laid all their cards out on the table and commissioners had questions about a few things, including promoting musical diversity among however many musical venues end up being in the area, as well as the surrounding businesses that would adjoin those venues. What were some of their concerns?

I think, you know, one is frankly just that the real estate prices are getting so high in Austin in general, especially downtown, that there's a concern of how viable music venues are. And their concern is: How are we going to make sure that these places remain stable, remain in place? That there's not just kind of constant churn coming and going of these places.

And then also there's the question of diversity, of getting people of color, women, lots of different underrepresented demographics operating or heavily involved in these places so that you get a greater variety of music and events happening. We all love the Saxon Pub and Stubb's and places like that, but I think we don't just want copycats of the old Austin that we know and love. Those days are kind of gone, so they want to see some new fresh ideas popping up wherever possible.

What are some things that we should watch for next?

Stream Realty has a code amendment underway with City Council that would increase the maximum height to right around whatever the Capitol view corridors allow along their stretch, which runs between Neches and Sabine Streets on the north side of Sixth Street. So that's the area you're going to really want to keep an eye on. It links up rather nicely with the Red River Cultural District just a little ways up, too.

So you're going to want to watch whatever happens with that code amendment. There's going to be some demolition permits, because they're going to have to do some reconstruction of some of those sites.

The Historic Landmark Commission and Preservation Austin are going to be pretty heavily involved because some of that area is historic, and they want to set some sort of design guidelines and other guidelines regarding the demolitions and preserving the historic character of the area. So those are some of the kind of turns of the screw that are going to happen as this thing will slowly move forward. But it is movement, which is something we've not seen for that district in quite some time, especially through the pandemic, when you had a lot of those places closed up and empty for a while now.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:35 AM

This article is about two bars in San Antonio, but this is something that I bet we could be seeing in Austin and many other cities too and soon. That's why I'm posting it here in an Austin thread.

Are Age-Exclusive Bars the Way of the Future?

Two bars in San Antonio are blazing a new, mellower trail, one where being 21 and legally able to drink won’t get you very far.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/ar...rs-the-future/

On the night of my twenty-first birthday, I stumbled into a college bar with a friend who was dressed in a large polyester carrot costume. I downed several potent cocktails called trash cans, yelled a lot, and then briefly made out with the captain of the school’s croquet team. Throughout the evening, I proudly brandished the government-issued ID that confirmed I was legally allowed to be there, took mystery shots, and lurched around the sticky dance floor to the dulcet tones of Flo Rida. I was an adult woman in a space reserved for adults.

I thought of that night, and the many like it that followed, when I read about Bentley’s on Broadway, a bar in San Antonio that recently announced it was raising its age limit.

“Bentley’s on Broadway is officially 25+ & up now,” the venue announced on Instagram in May.

In the comments section, reactions to the news were mixed. “Yesssss finally . . . PERFECT MOVE,” effused one user. “What about 24 turning 25 this year,” asked another, who expressed despair with a crying emoji.

My own research yielded overwhelmingly positive responses. Though I threw in the trash can–soaked towel of my own drinking years ago, in a survey of my immediate friends and neighbors (a decidedly thirty-plus crowd), respondents said the concept sounded like “paradise”—a utopia where the still-young-but-increasingly-creaky could gather to revel together in their own muted way without having to watch a 21-year-old puke up a neon-blue beverage and then leave a loud, tearful voicemail for their ex.

I reached out to Bentley’s, eager to learn what had prompted it to make the bar of my friends’ dreams. But when reached by phone, a representative declined to comment. “It is what it is. We’re twenty-five-plus,” a gentleman said, before abruptly ending the call. Much like the 24-but-almost-25-year-old who posted the crying emoji, my entrance to Bentley’s, albeit merely conversational, had been denied.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Don't call it a comeback (yet): New music venues could open up on East Sixth Street

https://www.kut.org/austin/2022-06-3...t-sixth-street

A developer that owns multiple properties on East Sixth Street wants to revitalize the area and turn a handful of spots into music venues in a part of downtown that's seen other venues leave in recent years.
Very nice. Bringing places like Emo's back to the area was precisely what I was suggesting when their proposal first became known. I'm glad they listened to me. Ha.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:02 PM

Exclusive: Go inside the new East Austin home of Hi Sign Brewing, home to beverage history

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...pe/7768343001/

Hi Sign Brewing is sending a signal: Come on in.

The Austin brewery's former location has been closed since Feb. 28, and it will now welcome guests to a brand-new taproom and production facility with a grand opening on July 9. Hi Sign founder Mark Phillippe saw the move as an opportunity — to do the opposite of what he did the first go-round.

"We're making the best beer we've ever made, unequivocally," Phillippe recently told the American-Statesman. "I think the people closest to me who have had our products over the last five and a half years would say honestly, 'This is the best version of Hi Sign that I've had."

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 3:51 PM

Southwest cuisine chain Z-Tejas building $2.5M restaurant in Kyle

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...-Editors-Picks

Kyle will be adding another location to its collection of restaurants. This one is coming from Austin, but fans will have to wait until 2023 to grab a bite. Z-Tejas will start construction of the Kyle location at 18900 I-35 on September 1, according to a filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

"We are building another Z and we are excited about it," said Z-Tejas owner and chief energizing officer Randy Cohen. "Kyle needs a sit down restaurant, so it's booming."

Z-Tejas features "Southwest cuisine with a Mexican twist" and currently has four active locations, two in Austin and two in Arizona. Cohen said the company began in 1989 and was started by the group that also created P.F. Chang's and Hopdoddy Burger Bar.

Cohen added that there used to be close to 30 Z-Tejas restaurants at one point. At this time, Z-Tejas hasn't made any plans to keep heading down I-35 to San Antonio.

The filing says the construction is expected to be done by June 30, 2023 with an expected cost of $2.5 million. The new building will be a 4,800-square-foot stand-alone restaurant.

Z-Tejas serves up soups, salads, fajitas, enchiladas, burgers, street tacos, and desserts. They have a happy hour daily from 3 to 6 p.m. and have live music over the weekends. Z-Tejas also serves a brunch menu for guests.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:16 PM

Houston-based restaurant Local Foods aims to bring community and good food to Austin

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...in/7812274001/

Local Foods, a Houston-based eatery that sources its made-from-scratch dishes from Texas ranches, farms and other local vendors, has opened its doors in downtown Austin.

The new two-story restaurant on the corner of San Antonio and West Second streets has floor-to-ceiling windows, ample outdoor patio space and earthy interior tones. The natural-filled light and plant decor are an extension of its vegetarian-friendly, farm-to-table cuisine ethos.

Founded in 2011 by Chef Dylan Murray, restaurateur Benjy Levit and partner Martin Berson, Local Foods had grown to four locations in Houston before leaping into the Austin market — first as a pop-up in 2021 before opening a shop downtown last month. The brick-and-mortar location in the Second Street District was under construction for over a year to retrofit the space for the new restaurant.

The new eatery hosted its grand opening June 25. The restaurant is open daily from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For its menu and other offerings, visit its website.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:11 PM

Z’Tejas on W 6th will be closing later this year or early next year. Interesting tidbit - Larry McGuire owns the property Z’Tejas sits on. I wonder what we can expect from MML in this location in the future? Seems like a good spot for a hotel. He owns most of that block at this point. Good for him.
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...9-b12d00de7925

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Z’Tejas on W 6th will be closing later this year or early next year. Interesting tidbit - Larry McGuire owns the property Z’Tejas sits on. I wonder what we can expect from MML in this location in the future? Seems like a good spot for a hotel. He owns most of that block at this point. Good for him.
https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...9-b12d00de7925
Sad... and yet this needs to happen. Was a long time customer. When they Larry and Jack sold it.... it never recovered.
Went back a few months ago just to check it out..
The place Smelled SSOooooo bad. Obviously plumbing and/or mold issues.
And was empty at a time that use to be packed.
Food was "OK".
IT's toast.

And just so some of you newbies know.
Larry went on to open "Salty Sow" and multiple other restaurants in town.
( hint: the "Little Larry" at Salty that use to be an off menu item at Z)
Jack= "Jack Allans Kitchen". Which still has hints of some of the old Z' menu if you know where to look!

Patronize the locals ya'll

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 4:15 PM

Austin's Hi Sign Brewing re-opens with new swanky taproom on the East Side

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...-Editors-Picks

When Mark Phillippe opened Hi Sign Brewing in 2017 out by Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, he was allowed to enjoy about 18 months of prosperity and happiness. Then the bulldozers came.

An overhaul of 183, which eventually tripled capacity, shut down a main road to his taproom for years. People couldn't find Hi Sign on Google Maps, so they stopped showing up in droves. When that happened, Phillippe couldn't keep food trucks at the property because the owners weren't making any money, which meant the folks who did manage to find the place would bounce quickly to eat and drink elsewhere. Even before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Phillippe knew that Hi Sign would fail if he didn't fix what he calls this "death spiral."

"All of a sudden your cash flow just dries up," he says, sitting in the sleek new Hi Sign taproom on Austin's East Side. "The construction over there on Bastrop Highway was infinitely worse for our business than COVID was."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 11:49 PM

Z’Tejas prepares to shutter original downtown Austin location as it faces the wrecking ball

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...wrecking-ball/

The original Z’Tejas Southwestern Grill, a fixture on West Sixth Street for 33 years, is on track to close by next March to make way for a new real estate development.

Z’Tejas co-owner Randy Cohen confirmed the impending closure after announcing it in a Facebook post on July 5. He says the iconic Southwestern restaurant, housed in two attached decades-old structures, will be shuttered sometime between December 31 and March 31.

“Everybody kind of knew it was coming,” Cohen says. “[We] don’t own the dirt. So when you don’t own the dirt, you don’t have control.”

The owner of the Z’Tejas property, Larry McGuire of Austin’s McGuire Moorman Lambert Hospitality, plans to tear down the Z’Tejas structure, according to Cohen. It’s not known yet what will be built in its place. A representative of the hospitality group couldn’t be reached for comment.

Another restaurant could occupy the site, as McGuire Moorman Lambert owns and operates more than 15 eateries in the Austin area. They include Elizabeth Street Café, Jeffrey’s Restaurant & Bar, Lamberts Downtown Barbecue, Perla’s Oyster Bar, and Swedish Hill.

Cohen says Austin-based Z’Tejas is now seeking a new spot in or around downtown Austin for the soon-to-be-displaced restaurant, which opened in 1989.

“We’d love to still be downtown,” Cohen says.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:37 PM

Beloved South Congress Italian bistro Enoteca Vespaio suddenly closes

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...gress-closing/

Enoteca Vespaio — the beloved little sister of South Congress Italian staple Vespaio — came to a sudden close on July 9. The two restaurants stood together, side-by-side, since 2005: two halves of one whole authentic Italian concept; the closure was announced just three days prior.

A forthcoming Oaxacan concept from the restaurant's owners, called Chapulín Cantina, will replace the wine bar.

Since 1998, Vespaio has been delicious, ideally located, and expensive. It opens for dinner only, at 5 pm, and is usually busy. By opening the second tiny dining room next door, the concept reached a daytime crowd, or just one that didn’t need a great Italian meal to be a great affair. It served lunch and continued through to dinner, emphasizing the long bar that ran alongside the dining room, and selling desserts from a street-facing display on the end.

Enoteca wasn’t just more accessible, although in fairness, it wasn’t cheap either. Thanks to its lessened pressure to meet the demands of upscale dining, in many ways, it felt more true to an authentic Italian dining experience.

Some whispers of change came in 2019, when it quietly transferred ownership to chef Ryan Samson and general manager Daniel Brooks (who also owns Licha's Cantina on East Sixth Street). The veteran duo took it over with few intentions of changing the space or the menu, and the diners who did not read about it in local publications likely would not have noticed any change at all.

The Instagram post from Enoteca that revealed the closure also promised more details about the cantina coming soon, via a different account for the new project.

Chapulín, its namesake, refers to dried and roasted grasshopper, a popular standout in regional cuisine. (Surely not by accident, it also runs parallel to Vespaio’s namesake, a wasp nest.) If Enoteca’s cool, casual atmosphere and solidly simple dishes are an indication of what’s to come, Chapulín Cantina is poised to be one of the city’s most fluent traditional Mexican concepts.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:19 PM

A newcomer any Austinite should welcome: Savannah chef Mashama Bailey's Diner Bar

Downtown's Thompson Austin hotel gets a welcome taste of Southern cooking from a James Beard Award-winning talent

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...el/7757513001/

Many Austinites view outsiders with enough skepticism to fill Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Maybe you’ve seen the “Don’t Move Here” bumper stickers or drunk from the font of memes side-eyeing Californian carpetbaggers.

While much of the pearl-snap-clutching borders on performative disdain, there exists an undeniable indifference to many imports. That dynamic extends to the restaurant world.

You could count on one hand the number of out-of-town celebrity chefs who have landed on Austin’s shores to much applause, or even wide acknowledgment, and still have a finger or three to spare.

Foie gras and grits showcases chef Mashama Bailey's love of French and Southern flavors.
Mashama Bailey might be just the right person to challenge the old-line thinking. The New York-born (and mostly raised) chef won a James Beard Award for best chef in the Southeast in 2019 for her work at The Grey, the Savannah, Georgia, restaurant she and partner John O. Morisano opened in a renovated Greyhound station in 2015. Weeks after opening her upscale Diner Bar and more casual Grey Market at the Thompson Austin hotel this spring (a move two years in the making), Bailey took home the Beard crown of most outstanding chef in the country.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:35 PM

Komé Is Reopening

https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...where-exactly/

Komé is reopening! Komé is reopening! Pardon our excitement, but that’s about the most wonderful thing we’ve heard in months. Located right there on Airport (5301 Airport, to be precise), the beloved Japanese kitchen will return in all its exclusively dine-in glory after about two-and-a-half pandemic years of having to sell to-go in order to survive. Give ‘em a couple more weeks, says their Instagram account, to get everything back in gear and ready to roll. But then, omg, yes – sushi! karaage! gyudon! beef curry rice! all that saké – Komé is reopening!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 7:56 PM

Austin-based pizza chain Mr. Gatti's building Dripping Springs restaurant

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...P-CP-Spotlight

An Austin-based pizza chain is checking out the Hill Country for its newest location to serve up a slice. Mr. Gatti's Pizza has picked Dripping Springs for its next restaurant, according to a Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing.

The restaurant will be located at 136 Drifting Wind Run, Suite 107, Dripping Springs, TX, 78620. Construction is expected to begin on September 1 and be completed by February 1, 2023, according to the filing. The cost of the new 1,500-square-foot Mr. Gatti's Pizza will be $155,000.

The Mr. Gatti's website shows a location coming to New Braunfels, but it doesn't have an address as of yet. MySA reached out to Mr. Gatti's Pizza for comment on the new Dripping Springs and New Braunfels locations and if there were any other locations being considered in the Hill Country.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:06 PM

Austin’s first-ever Starbucks prepares to brew its last cup of coffee

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...ntown-closing/

Austin’s very first Starbucks coffee shop, situated at the most prominent downtown intersection, is closing next month.

After 27 years in business, the Starbucks store at 600 Congress Ave. is scheduled to shut down August 21, the coffeehouse company confirms.

The shop occupies a high-profile corner of Sixth Street and Congress Avenue, considered the heart of downtown Austin. For many businesspeople, the store has been a go-to downtown meeting spot.

Downtown workers and visitors were frequently entertained by the colorful presence outside that store of the bearded, usually homeless, cross-dressing, often scantily clad legend Leslie Cochran, who died in 2012 at age 60.

The coffee company offers this explanation for the store’s impending closure: “As part of Starbucks’ standard course of business, we continually review and evaluate our locations to ensure a healthy store portfolio.”

Earlier this month, Starbucks announced it was shutting down 16 stores in the U.S., but the Sixth and Congress store didn’t appear on the list.

Not only is Austin losing its first Starbucks store, it’s losing a connection to one of actress Sandra Bullock’s best-known movies, Miss Congeniality.

The comedy, released in 2000, follows Bullock’s FBI-agent character as she goes undercover at a beauty pageant to foil a terrorist threat. One of the scenes shows the character, Gracie Hart, placing a large order at a Starbucks store in what’s supposed to be New York City. The scene was actually filmed at Starbucks’ Sixth and Congress shop.

Played for full comedic effect, Bullock’s character “drives through the city with her sirens on just to get to Starbucks and uses her FBI status to get to the front of the line,” according to Diply.com.

At the conclusion of her order, the FBI agent makes one last request: She wants a Starbucks compilation CD. (Many of you may be too young to remember those ubiquitous CDs).

Rising rents in downtown Austin may have driven Starbucks’ decision to shutter the 600 Congress store. On average, rental space in downtown office buildings goes for $66 per square foot, according to the Squarefoot rental platform. That’s well above the rental rate Starbucks paid back in 1995 when it opened the store. The shop is on the bottom floor of the One American Center office tower.

The closest Starbucks stores that will remain open are at 301 W. Third St. (near City Hall) and 907 W. Fifth St. (near Whole Foods Market). Starbucks previously shuttered its store at 1001 Congress Ave. (near the state Capitol).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:11 PM

Austin-based Tiff's Treats employees announce union, company responds

Hourly workers prepare for a bittersweet battle

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-17326991.php

The popular Austin-based cookie delivery company is following the lead set by Starbucks and Alamo Drafthouse employees. Hourly workers at Tiff's Treats have filed for union elections at multiple locations, starting with A7, the East Austin Tiff's location.

We have filed for an immediate union election at A7, the East Austin store, and we will soon win a union to represent all hourly workers!

We will be filing for elections at additional stores this evening and in the coming days. #Union #UnionsForAll #UnionStrong #TiffsTreats
— Tiff's Treats Workers United (@TiffsUnited) July 18, 2022

Late last week, three stores in the DFW area followed, with the promise of more to come.

Tiff's Treats Workers United is asking for a new union contract that includes job security and "just cause" employment; $15 per hour for drivers, $18 for kitchen staff, and $22 for managers; mileage reimbursement that reflects actual gas prices; free and expanded health coverage and sick time; no invasive surveillance practices; no blackout dates; and food waste reduction.

Tiff's Treats released a statement on Friday, July 22, in response, stating that its employees "are among the highest paid food service and delivery workers in the industry."

"We recognize our hourly team members' contributions to our shared success with industry-leading compensation and benefits, including an average of more than $24/hour for our Austin delivery drivers, the most experienced of whom earn up to $50,000/year when driving full-time. "Our non-driver compensation in Austin ranges from more than $14/hour to more than $18/hour, depending on position, skill level and experience."

Tiff's Treats Workers United tweeted last week that corporate "illegally removed all union literature from the store" after asking the union to "keep an open mind" about its existence.

Tiff's corporate, in posted messages to A7 staff, asks we keep an "open mind" about the union while they illegally remove all union literature from the store.

This kind of cognitive dissonance and doublespeak is what allow repressive workplace environments like ours to continue.
— Tiff's Treats Workers United (@TiffsUnited) July 19, 2022

The union cites the recession, inflation, and the ongoing pandemic as reasons for "fighting for a living wage for all Tiff's Treats workers!" Tiff's Treats has stores across Texas and has expanded into Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and North Carolina in recent years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin