HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I'd like it if I didn't feel like we already had a few of these buildings already.

I get that we're going for sleek, but is it so hard to give it a touch of character? At least tweak the glass color or the cladding or something.
I'm disappointed that they have to design the building like that in the first place - that particular CVC will be obsolete in a few years once TxDOT reconstructs 35. The city and state should be moving aggressively now to decommission the I-35 CVCs - we are running out of space downtown for vertical development and are facing a massive shortage of homes. The less we allow for a denser downtown, the faster the surrounding neighborhoods will change and longtime residents suffer.

Of course, after they blew off our Republic Square Park/Project Connect station proposal, I don't have much faith in our state government to even do something completely non-partisan and totally-practical like removing obsolete CVC's. Not for the City of Austin, anyways. I hope it changes someday though. A substantial portion of east-downtown are essentially un-developable because of those ridiculous I-35 view corridors (and personally I wish drivers kept their eyes on the road a little bit more in that area...)

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 1:11 AM

Looks like a cousin of 5th & West. I like it. Nothing too special but not ever project needs to be.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:36 AM
Meh

Based on the 2018 rendering from the Towers article, I'd say it's around ~410 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:48 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Based on the 2018 rendering from the Towers article, I'd say it's around ~410 feet.

Yeah. It's about 405'-440' tall.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:11 AM

Boring design but not terrible. And it'll help hide the Hilton CC hotel from 35.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
What's with that sparkle at the edge? Lol It's not gonna make it any better than it is.
What ever you do, don't stare directly into them, they can blind you. There is a certain time of year that I wake up to one off the Austonian each morning. Can almost set you watch by it. Personally, I think its kind of cool. But its one of the reasons for the reflectivity ordinance in place.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 4:06 PM

Is this the same architect as the one who designed 5th&West?. It's very similar.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 7:51 PM

Who wants to bet the architect is Ziegler Cooper (not sure if that's been announced)? https://zieglercooper.com/high-rise/

Definitely shares attributes w/ the Quincy and 415 CO (also Stonelake) and the rendering software looks the same. https://zieglercooper.com/projects/c...ntial-project/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 8:11 PM

The ABJ article with the rendering states that it is Gensler.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The ABJ article with the rendering states that it is Gensler.
dangit!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:37 PM

Core drilling in the Carmelo’s parking lot today.

Also: heard a pretty well placed rumor that the historic buildings on the site will be moved to Brush Square Park, clearing the whole parcel for development.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 5:49 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
...Also: heard a pretty well placed rumor that the historic buildings on the site will be moved to Brush Square Park, clearing the whole parcel for development.
Interesting. More expansive podium?!? There is still a CVC encumbering the site.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Interesting. More expansive podium?!? There is still a CVC encumbering the site.
The CVC is only on the North East corner of the lot. The historic buildings are on the West side of the lot.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 6:59 PM

I should amend my statement to "MIGHT be relocated to Brush Square Park." Not sure if the deal is done.

EDIT: our best rendering so far isn't any help. Hard to tell from that angle if Carmelo's goes away or not.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:12 PM
Member since 2001

^^^Ah. I see. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:14 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I should amend my statement to "MIGHT be relocated to Brush Square Park." Not sure if the deal is done.

EDIT: our best rendering so far isn't any help. Hard to tell from that angle if Carmelo's goes away or not.

Are those the subject historic buildings to the immediate right (with the gabled roof) of the tower?

If so, they could make this tower fatter (larger floor plates)...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:35 PM

If those buildings moved, the new building would take up 75% of the south half of the block.

Brush Creek park it’s already pretty full. It’s already not much of a park with the O. Henry house, a fire station and a big parking lot on it. There is some space in front of the Hilton, but doesn’t capital metro have plans for that part of the park through project connect?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
If those buildings moved, the new building would take up 75% of the south half of the block.

Brush Creek park it’s already pretty full. It’s already not much of a park with the O. Henry house, a fire station and a big parking lot on it. There is some space in front of the Hilton, but doesn’t capital metro have plans for that part of the park through project connect?
You're right that the park is pretty full -- this was actually my initial response. Also, there's a two phase "reimagining" plan that I thought was about to kick off relatively soon. Not sure how this all fits together yet.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:57 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:31 PM

I love that the parking podium is a reasonable height by putting half the parking below grade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin