HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:16 AM

Rainey was rezoned for the purpose of opening it up to high rise development. The bungalow bars moved in just as filler until that development could come to fruition.

The Great Recession delayed that and we came to love the bars.

It will be cool if redevelopment happens but some of the current Rainey culture is incorporated into the new buildings, forever cementing the culture in the neighborhood.

I hope the city will rezone another area of bungalows soon.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Rainey was rezoned for the purpose of opening it up to high rise development. The bungalow bars moved in just as filler until that development could come to fruition.

The Great Recession delayed that and we came to love the bars.

It will be cool if redevelopment happens but some of the current Rainey culture is incorporated into the new buildings, forever cementing the culture in the neighborhood.

I hope the city will rezone another area of bungalows soon.
If they're taking rezoning suggestions, might I humbly suggest Clarksville?

The Rainey awakening was really just a moment in time that we should either treasure or curse depending on our experiences with it. I've had plenty of fun on Rainey but I'm happy more people will be living and working on it soon. I hope that the redevelopment can accommodate at least some of the current use, but clearly the outdoor gravel patios are not going to be around for long. I think we underestimate how difficult it is to incorporate music venues into new highrises. I'm sure some would be glad to build the next ACL Live theater, but the math probably doesn't work for smaller venues especially given the nuisance factors that accompany them.

Another area that I think we'll eventually come to miss is our "brewery district" around Metric Blvd.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post

Another area that I think we'll eventually come to miss is our "brewery district" around Metric Blvd.
Spot on. That entire swath around the stadium and Broadmoor, and south of the Domain on Burnet is going to flip in the near future. It's very shortly going to be too valuable for single story office/warehouse.

I've been thinking about JJ Pickle more and more, and think that at some point UT's going to have to consider parceling some off to private development, or get serious about turning it into a denser campus than already exists. It seems silly to limit the built environment to "rural campus extension" when sooner rather than later it'll be surrounded by 200-300 ft towers.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

I've been thinking about JJ Pickle more and more, and think that at some point UT's going to have to consider parceling some off to private development, or get serious about turning it into a denser campus than already exists. It seems silly to limit the built environment to "rural campus extension" when sooner rather than later it'll be surrounded by 200-300 ft towers.
UT, like the city of Austin, is loathe to get rid of assets. Look at the Brackenridge tract on Lake Austin. Probably some of the most VALUABLE real estate in all of Austin....it's lake front. What is UT doing with it? 1960's era 2 story, low density MARRIED student housing! UT doesn't have 2 shits to give.

Muni is a different story of course, because UT isn't getting what it is really worth in rent. I don't want to lose Muni either, but I totally understand UT's position. UT's fiduciary is to themselves not to the COA, or the game of golf for that matter.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
If they're taking rezoning suggestions, might I humbly suggest Clarksville?
I've thought about Clarksville too as the next "Rainey"-type setting should the bungalows on Rainey eventually disappear. But as others have pointed out, it seems the culture on Rainey has cemented enough that new buildings appear to be incorporating the nightlife vibe, or even the bars themselves, into their bases, and other existing bars are adding more floors.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I've thought about Clarksville too as the next "Rainey"-type setting should the bungalows on Rainey eventually disappear. But as others have pointed out, it seems the culture on Rainey has cemented enough that new buildings appear to be incorporating the nightlife vibe, or even the bars themselves, into their bases, and other existing bars are adding more floors.
Rainey Street was a two or three block strip of decrepit bungalows, and about half of them were owned by investor landlords (some of them wannabe developers) eager to see a zoning change in order to maximize their investment. Clarksville is home to million dollar bungalows and pricey condos. It is NIMBY Central. Good luck with getting a CBD rezone in that hood. Hopefully one of these days some rezoning might take place south of W 6th to allow for some high(er) rise residential development. Everything to the east will become ever more dear and pricey. It's not going to turn into clubland. https://www.realtyaustin.com/clarksville.php

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 2:02 AM
Meh

I polished my model of it from the dimensions we have from that set of elevations. I was meaning to get around to it.

The stair stepped design of this one is creating an interesting dynamic in the neighborhood. Plus, Rainey Street is turning into a courtyard.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 6:41 PM
Resident Moron

Clarksville will be upzoned to CBD when pigs fly. Those are some rich well connected homeowners

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:23 AM

Lake Flato may have hit a home run with this one. We have new elevations that are more detailed than usual. It gained 11' and has a new name.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=1121218

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 5:44 AM

This will be in a prominent position in the skyline, and I really hope the Pandemic Recession doesn't kill it. The room configuration has changed since we first heard about this project. There will be 248 hotel rooms and 239 residential units. I don't see any "Market" which may be the reason for the name change. But the Rainey St. side of the building has a "Beer Garden".

Last edited by The ATX; May 17, 2020 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:05 PM
Old West Austin

Hard to imagine anyone financing a new building with a significant number of hotel rooms, even if they don't deliver for 2+ more years. ZaZa just delivered, as did Proper. That hotel at 9th and Congress is going up, and Canopy on West 6th will soon (albeit small).

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
Hard to imagine anyone financing a new building with a significant number of hotel rooms, even if they don't deliver for 2+ more years. ZaZa just delivered, as did Proper. That hotel at 9th and Congress is going up, and Canopy on West 6th will soon (albeit small).
I agree. But I think most of the projects in the pipeline will continue with the permitting process which will still take a year to complete on a lot of them. Then it's a wait and see if what the economy is like at that point. In addition to the hotels you mentioned, we have the Thompson & tommie, Moxy, Hilton Garden Inn all U/C and the Otis (AC & Autograph) which opened in February.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
I completely agree with you. I like the idea of banks tightening up lending in some sectors, this could allow those markets to recover before adding supply.

Thinking of what the future holds for us here is one of my favorite ways to kill boredom.

For hotels, I hold out hope for "induced demand" so to speak. I can imagine hotels in Austin reducing rates so low, that the bravest among us will happily fill up the rooms.

I know if hotels like Zaza or Proper had screaming deals, me and the ole lady would gladly pop in for a staycation. Back in 2010, we did the same thing at the W......during Splash Weekend no less. Till you've shared a pool (shoulder to shoulder) with at least a hundred speedo clad men of all ages, you haven't lived. 10/10 highly recommended.

Happy Sunday y'all....we are headed out to the park....I hear Rona hates sunshine. Cheers.

PS, I really proud of this forum, our developers, our construction workers, our town, our spirit. I've never appreciated living here more than now. Thank you all for your contributions...even that dude from Tulsa.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:05 PM

Can't wait to see this rendering. I dig LF's work.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

Boy I'm gonna sound like such an ingrate . . . but I'm honestly sick of this design template. The sort of alternating pinstripe/exterior balcony patchwork that makes up the majority of the building itself. It's just so overdone at this point. Give me more 5C's please.

Aside from that, though . . . it's great to see a building straddle the grid (and its alley) the way this one is doing. It's definitely going to be prominent from I35 -- but will have a lot to interact with of similar height if everything in the Rainey pipeline gets built, which (pandemic notwithstanding) still seems very possible.

In re: new hotel rooms . . . Austin was one of the hottest markets in the country before COVID came along. I don't think the pandemic is going to seriously alter that dynamic in the long run. There's going to be a year, year and a half of transition, but I think we'll eventually (and quicker than we might expect) find ourselves back in what passes for Austin-normal -- high demand, and some of the highest rates in Texas.

I think we'll see a brief pause on new projects, but I wouldn't be surprised to see literally everything we're aware of continue through development to completion. Much like commercial building, Austin's one of the best bets in the country for hotels.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Boy I'm gonna sound like such an ingrate . . . but I'm honestly sick of this design template. The sort of alternating pinstripe/exterior balcony patchwork that makes up the majority of the building itself. It's just so overdone at this point. Give me more 5C's please.
Its so easy to piggy back on this because you said it first and will be the one to receive negative nellie rebutals, but amen brother. I couldn't agree more. While a decent render may sort this out better on the eyes, its waaaaay too busy for my taste. I don't think it will be tall enough to mask my confusion of the design as currently presented.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Its so easy to piggy back on this because you said it first and will be the one to receive negative nellie rebutals, but amen brother. I couldn't agree more. While a decent render may sort this out better on the eyes, its waaaaay too busy for my taste. I don't think it will be tall enough to mask my confusion of the design as currently presented.
Don’t sleep on Lake Flato. These people don’t play.

Can’t wait to see it.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:08 AM

Here's a tree permit that was filed today. It may be related to plans to demo before site plan approval. But I'm not sure. The address is the Craft Pride site at 61 Rainey.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=93134

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 9:40 PM

This project is moving forward - at least with Demo. A couple of permits to cap off the water as preparation for Demo were filed today. DPR is the GC.

61 Rainey:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=93134

69 Rainey:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=93140

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 19, 2020 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 9:43 PM

I'll add that the actual Demo permits were approved in mid-July.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin