HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 2:17 AM

Here’s What 13 Floors of Hotel Looks Like at East Fifth and Trinity

https://austin.towers.net/heres-what...h-and-trinity/

The plan by local hospitality firm White Lodging to develop a 13-story, 260-room hotel under Marriott’s Autograph Collection at the southwest corner of East Fifth and Trinity Streets is a good reminder that many of the setback requirements in Austin’s creaky old code are also metaphorically setting us back — like, as a city — since the ramifications of the Downtown Parks Overlay, imposed by Brush Square next door, caps the height of a building at 120 feet near Trinity Street. That’s reportedly motivated the property’s owners at the Finley Company to pursue this smaller plan at the site despite its lack of Capitol View Corridor limitations, since the setback on a potential building’s eastern side would prevent the kind of contiguous floorplates large enough to make sense for a taller office or residential tower use.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:39 PM

Soil testing- possibly for the Mexic Arte Museum?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 10:09 PM

I doubt it, but it would be nice. Now someone who has been posting on here for 10+ years will have to find the wheel rendering and post it for the newcomers.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:07 PM

Aaw! The wheel! It would have been a real landmark.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:16 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I doubt it, but it would be nice. Now someone who has been posting on here for 10+ years will have to find the wheel rendering and post it for the newcomers.
I've been around since 2015 and I recall it from that time - I don't think we need to go back ten years. But yes, that would have been amazing. Maybe they can revive it?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I've been around since 2015 and I recall it from that time - I don't think we need to go back ten years. But yes, that would have been amazing. Maybe they can revive it?
I was thinking it was one of proposals that disappeared during the "Great Recession". But I don't know when it was first proposed.

https://archello.com/project/mexic-arte-museum

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:21 PM

I was soooo hoping for that concept to move forward. How Iconic that whole block would have been, with The Frost Tower next door! We can still dream.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 6:05 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I was thinking it was one of proposals that disappeared during the "Great Recession". But I don't know when it was first proposed.

https://archello.com/project/mexic-arte-museum

Yeah, that's the one I recall seeing at some point. Not sure when it originally came out either. Super cool concept though.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 8:00 PM
Member since 2001

This November will mark my 21st year lurking on here (and I'm not even a MOD yet). C'mon man!

It was originally designed to look like a Mayan Calendar.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
It was originally designed to look like a Mayan Calendar.
So the project died in 2012.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 10:41 PM

Austin’s Mexican American Cultural Center Closing for Expansion This Year

https://austin.towers.net/austins-me...ion-this-year/

The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (ESB-MACC) located at 600 River Street is an often-overlooked masterpiece of Mesoamerican-inspired modernist architecture, standing at the crown of downtown Austin’s ever-changing Rainey Street District and representing the historic working-class Mexican American character of the neighborhood prior to its rapid development starting in the 2000s. Designed by the late Mexican architect Teodoro González de León with Hispanic-owned local studio CasaBella Architects, many Austinites are unaware that the center’s striking crescent-shaped structure is incomplete — the building as it appears today mostly dates back to 2007 with some small additions in 2010, but plans for two further phases of construction fell by the wayside unfunded.

Nearly 15 years after the facility’s opening, the city’s finally making that wrong right, with a facility expansion plan by the Parks and Recreation Department approved by the Austin City Council in 2018 and funded by a number of sources including the city’s bond election held the same year. We’ve run down the general plans for the center’s transformation earlier this year in further detail if you’d like to review the finer points — bottom line, current expectations for the project indicate the facility will roughly double in size, with a design from the partnership of local architecture firm Miró Rivera and acclaimed Mexican architect Tatiana Bilbao.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 2:11 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Austin’s Mexican American Cultural Center Closing for Expansion This Year

https://austin.towers.net/austins-me...ion-this-year/

The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (ESB-MACC) located at 600 River Street is an often-overlooked masterpiece of Mesoamerican-inspired modernist architecture, standing at the crown of downtown Austin’s ever-changing Rainey Street District and representing the historic working-class Mexican American character of the neighborhood prior to its rapid development starting in the 2000s. Designed by the late Mexican architect Teodoro González de León with Hispanic-owned local studio CasaBella Architects, many Austinites are unaware that the center’s striking crescent-shaped structure is incomplete — the building as it appears today mostly dates back to 2007 with some small additions in 2010, but plans for two further phases of construction fell by the wayside unfunded.

Nearly 15 years after the facility’s opening, the city’s finally making that wrong right, with a facility expansion plan by the Parks and Recreation Department approved by the Austin City Council in 2018 and funded by a number of sources including the city’s bond election held the same year. We’ve run down the general plans for the center’s transformation earlier this year in further detail if you’d like to review the finer points — bottom line, current expectations for the project indicate the facility will roughly double in size, with a design from the partnership of local architecture firm Miró Rivera and acclaimed Mexican architect Tatiana Bilbao.
Wow, that's a pretty big expansion. Looks awesome. I love cultural gems like that.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 11:55 PM

This 135-Year-Old Downtown Austin Building Could Learn Some New Tricks

https://austin.towers.net/this-135-y...me-new-tricks/

A project presented to the Architectural Review Committee of the City of Austin’s Historic Landmark Commission earlier this week would modify a 135-year-old downtown Austin building with a significant renovation including an extra floor, according to documents presented at the committee’s August 8 meeting.

Glad to see a building like this saved/reused.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:56 PM

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...austin-blocks/

City seeks developer to partner on transformation of two historic blocks

Quote:
Photo by Austin EDC
City seeks developer to partner on transformation of two historic blocks
THURSDAY, AUGUST 11, 2022 BY CHAD SWIATECKI
Over the next three months, the city’s quasi-governmental development entity will perform the early work that will result in a development plan next year for two long-discussed blocks in East Austin.

This week’s Community Development Commission meeting featured a presentation from the Austin Economic Development Corporation on its plan to create a request for proposals to lure hopeful developers interested in partnering on mixed-use projects for idle portions of the two blocks on East 11th Street that are home to Franklin Barbecue and the Victory Grill.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:00 AM

Brush Square’s Transformation Is Finally Under Construction in Downtown Austin

https://austin.towers.net/brush-squa...wntown-austin/

As one of the city’s three remaining public squares originally laid out by Edwin Waller in Austin’s 1839 plan, Brush Square’s historical bona fides are undeniable — but at the moment, the site feels a bit like downtown’s junk drawer, containing an architecturally significant New Deal-era fire station that’s still running as the Austin Fire Department’s main downtown hub, two historic homes containing the O. Henry Museum and the Joseph and Susanna Dickinson Hannig Museum, along with a bit of lightly-trafficked open space out back. Everything here is important, but there’s no real unifying vision for the site as a public amenity — enter the vision plan for the square’s renovation by PARD alongside urban design firm Asakura Robinson, which first began soliciting public input all the way back in the dark ages of 2018.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:26 PM

Not sure where I can find the information but are there any big plans, like a new shopping center or a company, developing south of ABIA? Like near Bluff Springs/Colton/Creedmoor area? Or is it all just houses

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:07 AM

I don’t know how to embed Instagram videos. This guy Blake Hamrock has some good shots of Rainey construction.

Better quality:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChLJq...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:18 PM

Looks like he's in Quincy

bumping my ask:
--
Not sure where I can find the information but are there any big plans, like a new shopping center or a company, developing south of ABIA? Like near Bluff Springs/Colton/Creedmoor area? Or is it all just houses

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I would give this website a try:
https://maps.austintexas.gov/GIS/PropertyProfile/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:11 PM

Haha, that's me! Couldn't do it without learning everything from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post

I don’t know how to embed Instagram videos. This guy Blake Hamrock has some good shots of Rainey construction.

Better quality:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChLJq...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin