HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
COTA signs F1 race deal. Races will be in Austin through 2026,

https://www.fox7austin.com/sports/f1...tin-until-2026
TBH -- despite the folks who've predicted doom for COTA year in and year out -- this just didn't feel like anything other than a foregone conclusion. Glad to see it happen, but it's not particularly surprising.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:34 PM

Any negative considerations are always shoved under the rug by all the positive press from the drivers regarding the track and the city of Austin. They want to continue to come here for a long, long time. COTA keeps adding attractions and will only get better as time goes on. We have something special here. I just hope NASCAR has a very successful run here this year so it becomes a long term annual event as well. I'm not sure everyone will agree, especially non racing fans, but COTA is a crown jewel in Austin.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
TBH -- despite the folks who've predicted doom for COTA year in and year out -- this just didn't feel like anything other than a foregone conclusion. Glad to see it happen, but it's not particularly surprising.
I mean, there are real negative aspects of the track to discuss but most of hyper negative naysaying is from a single user.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I mean, there are real negative aspects of the track to discuss but most of hyper negative naysaying is from a single user.
Agreed. I'm certainly not saying COTA's without problems . . . but tracks can be resurfaced, and traffic problems can be addressed year over year. The basic math of the deal (IMO, of course) never really changed.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Any negative considerations are always shoved under the rug by all the positive press from the drivers regarding the track and the city of Austin. They want to continue to come here for a long, long time. COTA keeps adding attractions and will only get better as time goes on. We have something special here. I just hope NASCAR has a very successful run here this year so it becomes a long term annual event as well. I'm not sure everyone will agree, especially non racing fans, but COTA is a crown jewel in Austin.
Yeah, say what you will about Epstein, but people never thought he’d complete the first 10 year contract. They said he’d never get NASCAR. But somehow they did both, while seeming to always be near the brink of failure. I think a lot of that may have just been luck that Austin became the “IT” city in the country and seems to just keep landing everyone and everything. But still. We’re better for having it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Yeah, say what you will about Epstein, but people never thought he’d complete the first 10 year contract. They said he’d never get NASCAR. But somehow they did both, while seeming to always be near the brink of failure. I think a lot of that may have just been luck that Austin became the “IT” city in the country and seems to just keep landing everyone and everything. But still. We’re better for having it.
Maybe now with the renewal and addition of NASCAR, Epstein will stop claiming the track is worth way less now than the day it was built (and sued us with that claim).

Naw, probably not.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:22 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:13 PM
World Traveler

I opened the article but didn't see any renderings or anything showing what said amusement park could look like. I do recall the single rollercoaster that would go across Circuit of the Americas Blvd. Anything else out there?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:26 PM
Austinite

I'm guessing this is the ride that will cross Circuit of the Americas Blvd.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:55 PM

That is a really good idea in my opinion. Good location for that sort of thing, and hopefully with more regular use some of the road and parking issues can be better addressed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 4:22 PM
Austinite

This one should be interesting

Video Link

https://attractionsmagazine.com/skyb...musement-park/

Quote:
How does it work? Riders board one of 18 seats around the gondola’s ring structure at ground level, and strap into roller coaster-style restraints. After a safety check, the gondola will slowly rise backward until it reaches the height of a lift tower behind the arch.

During the journey upward, riders will enjoy a fantastic view of the Circuit of the Americas racing track before behind held for “a few suspenseful moments” pending the gondola’s released.

As the gondola’s pendulum arm swings forward, the ring of seats will swivel along with the swinging motion, making several passes in both directions until an innovative “pendulum damper” at the top of the tower slows the pendulum to a stop.

Spectacular during the day, the ride will feature a lighting package that creates a “whimsical nighttime ride experience.”

Riders will have an unparalleled view of the midway below them, and the spectator value for those below will be immense.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 2:59 PM

New automated cocktail bars 'serve drinks in seconds' at Austin's Circuit of The Americas

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...-the-americas/

There will always be a time and a place for cute bartenders, but the Circuit of The Americas is no longer it. The racing venue is speeding things up with TendedBar, an automated cocktail maker with facial recognition technology. It may not be as flattering as being recognized at your favorite local haunt, but it’ll keep the lines moving.

TendedBar debuted at COTA in June of 2022 at a Camp Nowhere concert, and served drinks at three more after that. Things went great for these intrepid mini bars, and they’ll be back as a partner for major upcoming events including Wiz Khalifa with Logic, ODESZA, and the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in October.

The robot bartenders’ mission is to “serve drinks in seconds,” which they seem to achieve in demo videos. The facial recognition capability means customers don’t have to dig for credit cards or shout last names, and the quick mixing goes, predictably, much faster than a person holding several tools.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 2:58 PM

Cruise Austin's iconic Circuit of the Americas track during bike nights this fall

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...-theme-nights/

It’s the Circuit of the Americas, not the Circuit of gas-powered vehicles. Starting on Tuesday, September 13, bicycles are taking over. Tuesdays at 6 pm, anyone who owns a bike can take the activity to the max on the 3.41-mile track. After pedaling their hearts out or enjoying a leisurely coast, riders are invited for drinks and food truck snacks.

Bike Night is already a tradition at COTA, where bikers have had years of fun on two wheels without worrying about any traffic. The series paused this summer and is back for cooler nights, bike gods willing.

Bikers can take a break at any time and can spend it peering off of the Observation Deck, if they consider hanging out on a 25-story platform relaxing ($10 online, 12 on-site, $5 for kids).

Not that anyone needs a theme to get on a bike, but each ride is a new experience with something new to celebrate. The themes are a little opaque, but no one is going to kick you off your bike if they don’t like your Lorax costume. Curated playlists will fit each night’s theme. (Although another theme day is listed on September 6, a COTA representative confirms the series restarts on September 13.)

September 13 is Oh the Places You’ll Go Night
September 20 is Rock of Ages Night
September 27 is Disco Night
Two shirts will be on sale on the last night: the 2022 season shirt and a Disco Night theme shirt, both $20 with proceeds benefiting Dell Children’s Medical Center.

Although it’s famous for Formula One racing, the Circuit of the Americas hosts all kinds of events, including karting and camping. This is not the only opportunity to get on the COTA track, but the most regular and accessible. RideSmart, an outside organization, lets riders bring their motorcycles on the track, and a special fundraising event in 2020 allowed drivers in their personal vehicles.

More information about Bike Night and links to purchase tickets ($10 for adults, $5 for kids) at thecircuit.com. Helmets are not required, but strongly recommended.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
That guy has a uh.. interesting feed.
In what way?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yep. As I've said before, as long as the Governor will pony up tens of millions in taxpayer money ($35M last year and more than $300M so far), and as long as COTA provides a racing surface that's even marginally raceable, COTA will be on the calendar.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
I assume you're talking about me. Which of my 'hyper-negative naysayings' would you dispute?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Agreed. I'm certainly not saying COTA's without problems . . . but tracks can be resurfaced, and traffic problems can be addressed year over year. The basic math of the deal (IMO, of course) never really changed.
Re: the track, the problem is that they only take a piecemeal approach and don't properly address the underlying causes of the problems. They've resurfaced 40% of the track once, and then 40% again later, including some of the bit that they resurfaced the first time - because their method doesn't work.

Re: the traffic problems, they only seem to get worse. That's what happens when you masively understaff events, leading to people in multiple parking lots having to get out of the cars to direct traffic so they could eventually get home. They also sell Park & Ride satellite lots and then often don't provide shuttles back to the lots after Qualifying and the GP. Last year those folks waited for 2.5 hours for their shuttle back to the car, and COTA reps kept telling them the buses were on their way, until they changed their minds and said no buses would be coming. That left literally thousands of people walking 3 miles down the side of FM 812 at dusk or later because COTA didn't follow through and provide what they sold to them..

You'd think with all the $300M+ they've gotten from the State, they could do better. But instead they just keep doing worse and giving us the middle finger.

Last edited by turn1; Sep 29, 2022 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
He didn't get NASCAR. It's at COTA, but it's not COTA's race. SMI came to him with an offer to rent the track from COTA for the weekend while they plan, promote, and run the event. That way, they still retain two dates and still get to host a 'playoff' round at TMS. COTA has MotoGP and F1. NASCAR is a track rental. As soon as that's not beneficial for SMI, NASCAR is done at COTA. I'd sure love to see V8SC, IndyCar, WEC, IMSA, PWC, 24H, GRC, even X Games and more out there again someday, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Turn1, are you still out there? Do you have any updates/thoughts about the future of COTA and Austin F1 races now that the 10-year contract is over, and Miami is happening?
Hey ATX! Yeah I'm still around. I've just been spread a lot thinner lately, which is ironic, since I retired last year. Busier than ever ...

Re: your question, I don't think Miami or Vegas directly spell the demise of COTA, but they don't help, either. Those are FOM's new favored business models, and they do give FOM a lot of leverage over COTA in future negotiations. I wouldn't sleep on IMS getting back on the F1 calendar, either, and Miami, Vegas, and Indy aren't COTA's only competition. There's Montreal and Mexico, and there are at least two South American F1 projects in the works, in Colombia and Argentina.

FOM seem to have put a lot of their faith in the "Netflix effect", which imho is a big mistake. Drive to Survive certainly has had some positive impact in the US, but it's not the sole driver of the bigger crowds. DTS is helping, but imho what's helping them even more is the pent-up demand caused by covid.The 2021 USGP was the first GP in North or South America in almost 2 years. The great crowd they had last year was the result of 2 years of ticket sales, with lots of people carrying over their cancelled 2020 tickets to 2021. We've been seeing the same thing at several races in countries that already have huge F1 fan bases and native drivers in the series, like Melbourne, Spain, Mexico City, Montreal, etc. Netflix is surely having relatively little effect in those countries.

Last edited by turn1; Sep 30, 2022 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 2:33 PM
World Traveler

Ok guys. Going to my first race - trials anyway - on Friday. Getting there in the morning via 130. What do I need to know? I have a parking pass for Lot F.

Edit: Never mind on my other question.

Last edited by drummer; Oct 19, 2022 at 3:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin